Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Marilyn's new Stable! (i.e. garage)

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/17, 08:26 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
UPDATES!!!

So this week, they are starting the "final turnover" - where they do the internal fixtures, vanity lighting, pendant lighting, appliances, etc. But additionally, they are also doing the concrete this week!!! WOOHOOOOO

First updated pic - minor one, but again, BIG for me. They installed my utility sink yesterday!!! I'm stoked! I can now wash my hands freely with orange goop after working under the car and soaked with grime and grease and oil. I can also wash my detailing towels and buffer pads there.

Then I got back to the house and they did my concrete patio!!! This is where I'll be able to drive my car and detail in the shade, when the front is blazin' with sun. It will also house our patio furniture, and freestanding firepit. There will be a King's block wall to the side, with mulch/rock, and her flowers, etc. I was going to put the basketball hoop there, but since the dimensions are roughly 40' x 20', shooting from the side of the hoop at 10' depth, is not enough shooting room. So I will probably likely move it to the front driveway instead. Besides, I don't want basketballs hitting the furniture and plants.

They are putting in the concrete "cuts" (to prevent cracking in undesirable places) today.

They are doing the DRIVEWAY possibly tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited for this phase.

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/19/17 at 02:04 PM.
Old 4/19/17, 08:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Good call. That would NOT be a good spot for a basketball hoop, IMO.
Old 4/19/17, 10:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is awesome! I like that the garage is almost as big as the rest of the house. Priorities! Maybe I missed it. Are you having a lift installed in the garage?
Old 4/19/17, 11:44 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
UPDATES!!!

Is the driveway concrete or asphalt?
Old 4/19/17, 02:29 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
That's awesome Burton!
Keep us posted buddy.
Old 4/19/17, 02:55 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
UPDATES!!!

So this week, they are starting the "final turnover" - where they do the internal fixtures, vanity lighting, pendant lighting, appliances, etc. But additionally, they are also doing the concrete this week!!! WOOHOOOOO

First updated pic - minor one, but again, BIG for me. They installed my utility sink yesterday!!! I'm stoked! I can now wash my hands freely with orange goop after working under the car and soaked with grime and grease and oil. I can also wash my detailing towels and buffer pads there.

Then I got back to the house and they did my concrete patio!!! This is where I'll be able to drive my car and detail in the shade, when the front is blazin' with sun. It will also house our patio furniture, and freestanding firepit. There will be a King's block wall to the side, with mulch/rock, and her flowers, etc. I was going to put the basketball hoop there, but since the dimensions are roughly 40' x 20', shooting from the side of the hoop at 10' depth, is not enough shooting room. So I will probably likely move it to the front driveway instead. Besides, I don't want basketballs hitting the furniture and plants.

They are putting in the concrete "cuts" (to prevent cracking in undesirable places) today.

Basketballs don't hit furniture and plants when they go in
Old 4/20/17, 07:28 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Good call. That would NOT be a good spot for a basketball hoop, IMO.
Yeah - at first I thought it would be a good spot so that I can see the kids playing from my kitchen/dining/great room... but then with only 10 feet, it's probably too tight. Plus, the basketball would be hitting siding, windows, furniture, etc.... not good. Plus, what if I wanted to detail my cars. No way they are playing while I'm detailing. LOL.

Originally Posted by Torsen
This is awesome! I like that the garage is almost as big as the rest of the house. Priorities! Maybe I missed it. Are you having a lift installed in the garage?
thanks man! Yes, planning on getting a 4 post in there. Might actually be a 2 post too. I prefer a 2 post, because I can still store a car underneath. Looking at Bendpak maybe. But yeah, on the prior pages there's a whole schlew of discussion on lifts

Originally Posted by 2007s197
Is the driveway concrete or asphalt?
Concrete for sure!!! I have news on that front as well!!! see below.

Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's awesome Burton!
Keep us posted buddy.
Thanks Tony! D-day is almost here! LESS than a MONTH!

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Basketballs don't hit furniture and plants when they go in
LOL - good point. However, good thing my career is in Engineering, and not the NBA... hehe. My kids aren't either. So yes, lots of "bricking" and "clanking" in our basketball future
Old 4/20/17, 08:38 AM
I Have No Life

Dang - these guys work FAST!

So the weather actually cooperated yesterday, no rain. They went ahead and poured (most) of my driveway! They stopped at the sidewalk, and will complete that today. I was giddy as all hell... I love how big and flat the driveway will be. It's oversized to the right (by the 3rd stall) - much wider - to accommodate a king's block wall and decorative stones, etc... on the side. I will be placing the hoop on that side as well.

They also finished the "cuts" on my patio!!! Approx. 4' squares... dimensions are 39 x 20'. Should be able to fit 2 vehicles back to back for detailing.

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/20/17 at 08:39 AM.
Old 4/20/17, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
UPDATES!!!

Cool, Very happy for you.
Old 4/20/17, 09:38 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by tourer
Cool, Very happy for you.
Thanks man! Much appreciated. A man's house for his family is a sense of accomplishment in life. I am blessed to be able to provide for them. I know we are all crazy about our cars, but the house/roof/shelter and a good "home" for our families are most important.

That being said - I had a few more pics to share with you guys that I thought were kindda funny.

Here's a pic of my garage when it was used as a PAINT BOOTH for all our doors. I don't know if I counted, but I think there were like 15-20 doors all over. I'm sure the painters appreciated the size of my garage - otherwise, there would be no place for them to paint. LOL.

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/20/17 at 09:53 AM.
Old 4/20/17, 01:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Now that front driveway will be an awesome one for the kids! Not sure what lighting you've got planned for it but, growing up, my dad put a couple spotlights on the garage pointed towards the hoop that let me play at all hours - awesome.

How are you going to get cars to that back cement area - driving through the yard?
Old 4/20/17, 03:01 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Awesome stuff Burton!!
I can only imagine the excitement.
Old 4/21/17, 01:54 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Now that front driveway will be an awesome one for the kids! Not sure what lighting you've got planned for it but, growing up, my dad put a couple spotlights on the garage pointed towards the hoop that let me play at all hours - awesome.

How are you going to get cars to that back cement area - driving through the yard?
Awesome stuff Burton!!
I can only imagine the excitement.
thanks guys!!! I appreciate it. I found out today, that they finished installing my outside floodlights for my patio and driveway. They also finished up adding 2 more lights in my garage. I'm trying to get out of work here so I can rush over there to see it. LOL.

Kyle, to answer your question - remember, it's a 3 deep 3rd stall, with garage doors front and back. So I just drive through the garage to get to the patio
Old 4/21/17, 05:24 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Looking very nice there Burton! Won't be long now. Then you will not only be busy with kids and such, but bring on the yard work.

Driveway looks like a perfect spot for your hoops.
Old 4/24/17, 08:26 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Looking very nice there Burton! Won't be long now. Then you will not only be busy with kids and such, but bring on the yard work.

Driveway looks like a perfect spot for your hoops.
Thanks Shane!!! Yeah - I REALLY wanted it out back, but... my patio wasn't big enough. My wife gave me the EVIL eye when I suggested why can't we just "make it bigger now"? LOL

I have some updates on my inside garage lights and my outdoor floodlights I will post here shortly.
Old 4/24/17, 09:27 AM
I Have No Life

Ok - here's some minor updates.

The electricians did their final tasks/walkthrough late last week. Pertinent to this garage thread alone, they added a couple more lights to my garage and also did the outside floodlights. (Obviously they finished the rest of the house as well)

I'm glad I added the extra 2 lights in the garage. It will aid when I convert them to full LED strips.

The floodlights are AWESOME. They function as motion detect, photocell for dusk/evening turn on, and can be overridden to function like a regular on/off light. Aesthetically, they blend in with the siding/house color, and I can aim each head individually, as well as the motion sensor itself. I went out to the house at 10 pm and verified the motion detect range for each light. It's pretty wide. The brightness itself is insane. I can easily continue to play basketball or detail cars when it's dark out. For the purpose of security as well, these lights hit the nail on the head. The neighbors will love me. LOL.

The pic below was from behind the patio door (reflection you can see) with 2 floodlights on (I have 3 back there)

The pic below was from behind the patio door (reflection you can see) with 2 floodlights on (as I said, I have 3 back there).

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/24/17 at 09:31 AM.
Old 4/24/17, 01:55 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Awesome stuff Burton!
Is that Certain Teed siding? Looks killer.
Old 4/28/17, 12:31 PM
I Have No Life

Awesome stuff Burton!
Is that Certain Teed siding? Looks killer.
Thanks Tony!!! I'm not sure what brand it is per se. Certain Teed is a brand, I'm assuming? Yeah I think we picked out a good color and quality.
Old 4/28/17, 12:58 PM
I Have No Life

Some small updates - like, really small... but it's exciting for me, and especially my boys!

We got the concrete installed for the hoop! If some of you recall, I was REALLY planning on installing the hoop on the back patio, reasons were to allow us to view the kids playing from the kitchen/great room/dining area. I think visually, I would have "preferred" to not have the hoop in the front so as not to deter or distract from the "look" of the house upfront. But I decided to put the hoop at the front of the house for 2 reasons:

a) my patio is big, but not THAT big... Installing it in the middle side length of the patio would only leave me with about less than 10' on either side of the hoop (if we shot from the side). I didn't want a "kiddie" bball setup. LOL.

b) my driveway is actually IDEAL for this hoop, because it's large and flat... it's almost twice the size of my current 3 stall/wide driveway. Don't quote me, but I think I'm at a 2 or 3% grade. That was very rare for a driveway, so it's perfect.

I also thought that the issue with the visual aspect (of being in the front of the house) is moot - because ALL the houses, ok not all, but maybe 90-95% of all houses in my area have the hoops in front. Some houses (rich big ones) have a separate dedicated half or full actual bball court in the back! Maybe if I get promoted someday. LOL.

I'm also going to show this pic:

Reason is - I purposely asked my plumbing guy to route my garage faucets (both hot and cold) through the water softener. This reduces/eliminates the chance of leaving water spots on the vehicles when I wash cars. That my friends, is VERY important.

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/28/17 at 01:00 PM.
Old 4/28/17, 02:32 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Thanks Tony!!! I'm not sure what brand it is per se. Certain Teed is a brand, I'm assuming? Yeah I think we picked out a good color and quality.
You're welcome bro.
Yes, Certain Teed is a brand. That what it looks like. My buddy had his first house down with that stuff and it looked amazing. Yours does too.
I have a Certain Teed roof. They make them not too far from where I live and work. Great product. Pricey,....but you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Marilyn's new Stable! (i.e. garage)