2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

info on oil change DIYs and oil filter choices for 2011+ 5.0s

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/11, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
In fact no i don't, i bought this car has a toy not has a DD. Those miles on the odometer are ones of fun and enjoyment. Not that i don't want to drive her more , but thing is that's all the spare time i can find.
Oh and don't forget, around here, sports cars are being garaged 4-5 months a year.
You have to have at least one vice in life right? Nothing wrong with enoying your car as much as you can.

One day I will have a toy car!
Old 12/14/11, 03:34 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by LEwis26
You have to have at least one vice in life right? Nothing wrong with enoying your car as much as you can.

One day I will have a toy car!
Not if you keep wasting money on overpriced oil that's not really necessary.
Old 12/14/11, 03:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Not if you keep wasting money on overpriced oil that's not really necessary.
Instigator.

Old 12/14/11, 06:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to have at least one vice in life right?
Yep, and it's a three letter word that starts with letter S and Ends with X .
Old 12/14/11, 06:22 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Yep, and it's a three letter word that starts with letter S and Ends with X .
You play the saxophone?
Old 12/14/11, 06:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

In fact no i don't, i bought this car has a toy not has a DD. Those miles on the odometer are ones of fun and enjoyment. Not that i don't want to drive her more , but thing is that's all the spare time i can find.
Oh and don't forget, around here, sports cars are being garaged 4-5 months a year.
I too bought my car not for DD. I would classify my stang as a toy car as well but I drive my toy car about 6 plus K for the first year. That's ashame you only have enough free time to drive about 1000 miles a year. Im sorry to hear that. Even with me working 45 to 55 hours week, two children, Im able to drive around the 6k year and no I don't ignore my children. I take my son with me on many of my drives. Or I'll ride after I put the kids to bed at night. I'll ride at 10:00 p.m no where to go but just the need to be with my pony. I would love to drive it more but I have a work take home vehicle. I would so hate to have my stang just hibernating 4 to 5 months a year in a garage not driving it on non rain or non snowy days in the winter. As long as the roads are clear of salt then Im there riding in 20 degree weather.

A car that only has 12 miles in 12 years will certainly have a nicer outer finish and way less paint chips then mine and way less mileage, but I don't really care. In order to feel like the car was and is worth paying $500 dollars a month I want to use it and enjoy my pony. I didn't spend 23k to just stare at her in the garage with her perfect non chipped paint.

When the outer body over the years starts looking too rough for my style, then I'll just buy a new one. No biggie.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/14/11 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12/14/11, 06:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

You play the saxophone?
Six, that must be it. Ba ha ha
Old 12/14/11, 10:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up some oil and a filter tonight and changing it in the morning. I don't want it sitting with old oil all winter. Is it me or does the filter seem tiny? I bought a Motorcraft FL-500S. I would think that it would be bigger considering it takes 8 quarts.
Old 12/15/11, 12:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok. So I'm actually reading my owners manual and I see:

"Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C929-A (4.0L) or WSS-M2C930-A (4.6L) and the API Certification mark." Page 310

Wtf does that mean? None of those apply to our 5.0's.

But on page 309 there's WSS-M2C930-A for 5.0L. If you guys didn't confuse me enough already, now I'm really confuzzeled. Just checked the oil I bought and it lists:

"Exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications: Ford WSS-M2C945-A" I left out the GM and Chrysler specs....irrelevant. Obviously it doesn't match the owners manual.

So my question is: are you guys checking this stuff prior to putting it your motors or are you just going by 5W-20?

Last edited by Hytek; 12/15/11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12/15/11, 07:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Im personally switching to Wal Marts Super Tech 5W30 full synthetic. $20 for a 5 quart. $4.23 for 1 quart. Sure, I know its only a base III synthetic but so are majority of name brand synthetic oils on the market. The oil gets changed out at 7,500k anyway. It's only oil people. Just follow the manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals and the car engine will last 200k plus. The engine will last far longer than the exterior of the car if you just take care of it and maintain it on a regular basis. It's only oil people.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/15/11 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12/15/11, 09:10 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
You play the saxophone?
I think it's either Sux or Sox... that's gotta be it.

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Im personally switching to Wal Marts Super Tech 5W30 full synthetic. $20 for a 5 quart. $4.23 for 1 quart. Sure, I know its only a base III synthetic but so are majority of name brand synthetic oils on the market. The oil gets changed out at 7,500k anyway. It's only oil people. Just follow the manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals and the car engine will last 200k plus. The engine will last far longer than the exterior of the car if you just take care of it and maintain it on a regular basis. It's only oil people.
I see no problem with that... heck I change mine twice a year, and I only put 1500 miles on her a year. LOL. I still use Amsoil. I know, not necessary, but hey....

So.... in retrospect, my thread, asking for info on oil CHANGES (not TYPE of oil) and filter recommendations has gone all the way to:

accusations of financial status, or lack thereof
accusations of being "cheap"
discussions of vices, that begin with S and end with X.

You guys crack me up.
Old 12/15/11, 10:12 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by FromZto5

So.... in retrospect, my thread, asking for info on oil CHANGES (not TYPE of oil) and filter recommendations has gone all the way to:

You nailed it!
Old 12/15/11, 11:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think it's either Sux or Sox... that's gotta be it.

I see no problem with that... heck I change mine twice a year, and I only put 1500 miles on her a year. LOL. I still use Amsoil. I know, not necessary, but hey....

You guys crack me up.
Still a darn crying shame you only have time for 1500k year in the stang. Darn shame my stang brother. Lol.
Old 12/15/11, 12:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Does it really matter what oil. It's only oil. Just change your oil and filter on a regular basis. I swear it is really not that complicated. Lol. Perhaps if a vehicle is being used for racing applications then a oil like royal purple, amsoil may have more and better additives to help reduce the friction and engine wear. Severe and high stress engine wear caused from racing applications not the person whom is driving to and from work and driving 1500 miles per year. I have no doubt the standard synthetic oil base III will do fine for majority of car owners.

I have a hard time believing that an engine will last longer using Royal Purple oil compared to another synthetic oil when both intervals would be changed at 7500k and same non racing driving applications.

I'm not disputing that royal purple oil can last up to 15,000 miles before changing the oil, however if one is changing out at 3 to 7 k then no need for the 15k oil.
Old 12/15/11, 06:48 PM
Post *****

Boy, some of you are in trouble now!

excerpts:

State hopes to break car owners' habit of changing oil too often

California launches a campaign against the widespread notion that oil changes are needed every 3,000 miles. Officials say the practice wastes millions of gallons of oil a year.

By Jerry Hirsch, Los Angeles Times December 15, 2011

Many automobile owners are spending more than they need on motor oil, believing that it should be changed every 3,000 miles even though almost no manufacturer requires such an aggressive oil-change schedule.

The long-held notion that the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles is so prevalent that California officials have launched a campaign to stop drivers from wasting millions of gallons of oil annually because they have their vehicles serviced too often.

"Our survey data found that nearly half of California drivers are still changing their oil at 3,000 miles or even sooner," said Mark Oldfield, a spokesman for the California Department of Resources, Recycling and Recovery, which has launched the Check Your Number campaign to encourage drivers to go with the manufacturer's recommendations.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4554184.story

Old 12/15/11, 07:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Boy, some of you are in trouble now!

excerpts:
They Speak the truth. No need unless you have a car from the 1980's or maybe early 90's
Old 12/15/11, 08:34 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Still a darn crying shame you only have time for 1500k year in the stang. Darn shame my stang brother. Lol.
Are you still on your high horse about me driving it only 1500 miles, bro? Let it go man. We get it... you drive your stang a lot, and you love it. Great, good for you. I love my stang too. But no, I don't need to drive it every possible minute to enjoy and love it. I don't let it get wet in rain or snow, I don't drive it when precipitation in the forecast is above 20%. Yes, I'm **** about my car. I've been **** about ALL my cars. They're never ever ever ever rained on. Yes, it's sad. I hate swirls, I hate dirty cars, I hate scratches, I hate dust, I hate getting a speck of dust on my car. I hate bugs on my car. I'm **** and one of a kind. I get it. But guess what, it makes ME happy. And I'm darn proud of how I keep my car. You probably don't care that you get your stang dirty right? You don't care if you have swirls right? You don't care if you drive it in the rain or get bugs on the bumper right? GREAT! Good for you. And you can be proud of how you take care of yours. And I can be proud of how I take care of mine. Let it go.

Back on topic.

Last edited by FromZto5; 12/15/11 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12/15/11, 08:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you still on your high horse about me driving it only 1500 miles, bro? Let it go man. We get it... you drive your stang a lot, and you love it. Great, good for you. I love my stang too. But no, I don't need to drive it every possible minute to enjoy and love it. I don't let it get wet in rain or snow, I don't drive it when precipitation in the forecast is above 20%. Yes, I'm **** about my car. I've been **** about ALL my cars. They're never ever ever ever rained on. Yes, it's sad. I hate swirls, I hate dirty cars, I hate scratches, I hate dust, I hate getting a speck of dust on my car. I hate bugs on my car. I'm **** and one of a kind. I get it. But guess what, it makes ME happy. And I'm darn proud of how I keep my car. You probably don't care that you get your stang dirty right? You don't care if you have swirls right? You don't care if you drive it in the rain or get bugs on the bumper right? GREAT! Good for you. And you can be proud of how you take care of yours. And I can be proud of how I take care of mine. Let it go.

Back on topic.
Geese, I think he was just joking man.
Old 12/15/11, 09:26 PM
I Have No Life

Geese, I think he was just joking man.
Well I think its like the 5th time he mentioned this, whether it be this thread or another one. He needs to let it go.

Either that or I just had a $hitty day at work.... LOL prolly both
Old 12/15/11, 09:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Back on topic.
You sound very much like a close dear friend of mine about how he feels about his Trans Am. You know I think they may make medications for your OCD disorder. I'm just kidding bro. Somebody woke up today and put on their cranky pants. Nope dont care if it gets dirty. Its called car wash. I enjoy cleaning the car after it gets dirty. I don't care about bugs because its called car wash. I wash the bugs off before they bake on. They do make a clear plastic like sticker called a car bra. Don't care about swirls because the dirt hides the swirls and I always revert back to the wash car rule. Don't care about dust it will blow off when driving. Scratches, yeah they $uck but it doesn't control me. Its all good. If your happy then that's what matters so back to important stuff like oil. Its just oil people.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/15/11 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: info on oil change DIYs and oil filter choices for 2011+ 5.0s