Sponsored By:

info on oil change DIYs and oil filter choices for 2011+ 5.0s

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/11, 11:33 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Good to know. So just say, of course I used 5w20 Motorcraft of course.
Now you got it!
Old 12/9/11, 12:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking

Now you got it!
See. Im learning. Ill get there. Lol
Old 12/9/11, 08:56 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
As for the oil filter, do u guys recommend fomoco oem or motorcraft? I keep seeing varying thoughts. Thank you
Hey FromZto5,

FMC OEM and Motorcraft are one in the same. Here is the OEM Motorcraft filter we recommend for your vehicle.

Deysha

Originally Posted by RadioFr33Europe
Couple of questions:
Can Ford void your warranty for using a non-Motorcraft oil or non-recommended weight?
How about for changing it yourself?
Not quite true. If they deem that the oil or filter caused the damage they will void the warranty.
I.e. you put a 10w-50 oil in a 5w-20 engine and your cams freeze up in the heads due to lack of oil. they will void the warranty because your oil was too thick for the pump to get it to the cams.
any other weight of oil other than the oil specified, ford can deny warranty. you are putting something in the car that ford doesn't approve of. as far as the oil pump more power too you. but ford will just use that as another reason to void the warranty because its not a ford part..
Good info, texastboneking.

Aftermarket parts will not automatically void any of your warranties, RadioFr33Europe. However, if they cause a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info.

Deysha
Old 12/9/11, 09:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Well Since you feel that I'm so off on my statement please enlighten me to the reason that 5 w 20 here in the united states is recommended by Ford. Yet the very same ford automobiles with the very same automobile engines sold in Europe use a 5w 30 weight oil. Ford does not recommend 5w 20 oil for their automobiles sold in Europe which is the same automobiles that sells in the United States. Now if 5 w 20 oil was so much better then why isn't Ford using it in the cars in Europe. Maybe its just me but im lost. Ford x in US needs to use 5W 20 oil. Same Ford X in Europe needs 5W 30 oil.

Don't hurt yourself and let me answer that for you. That's because here in the United States there is a thing called cafe requirements. The 5 w 20 oil is claimed for optimal fuel efficiency and wear to comply with cafe. All nonsense. By all means use 5W20 oil if you feel better but me, im sticking with 5W30 for better engine protection.
I hate getting into these stupid oil debates that happen so often here...but this one's slightly different with this Europe thing interjected. Based on what I read in this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil), Europe has completely different oil standards than the US and 5W-20 doesn't even seem to be available in the UK at least, based on Castrol's site (http://castroledge.com/oil-range/). So, I would assume Ford recommends 5W-30 in Europe because it's the lightest weight option available? If 5W-20 was available, they'd probably recommend that because it would improve the fuel mileage, which is even more important there than here since gas is so much more expensive.

I truly have a hard time seeing why Ford would recommend a motor oil that shortens the life of an engine. In a time when cars are expected to perform without problems for 100K and engines last to 150K+, why would they do something so shortsighted if it gets you an extra 1 MPG but kills the long-term life of the engine? They're smarter than that, IMO.
Old 12/9/11, 11:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

I hate getting into these stupid oil debates that happen so often here...but this one's slightly different with this Europe thing interjected. Based on what I read in this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil), Europe has completely different oil standards than the US and 5W-20 doesn't even seem to be available in the UK at least, based on Castrol's site (http://castroledge.com/oil-range/). So, I would assume Ford recommends 5W-30 in Europe because it's the lightest weight option available? If 5W-20 was available, they'd probably recommend that because it would improve the fuel mileage, which is even more important there than here since gas is so much more expensive.

I truly have a hard time seeing why Ford would recommend a motor oil that shortens the life of an engine. In a time when cars are expected to perform without problems for 100K and engines last to 150K+, why would they do something so shortsighted if it gets you an extra 1 MPG but kills the long-term life of the engine? They're smarter than that, IMO.
I'm not saying 5 w 20 is evil. I'm just saying I think 5 w 30 is a better choice for better lubrication of the engine. I believe you are correct in Europe 5 w 20 you cannot get. However I would imagine if 5 w 20 was that much better in Europe they would get it and use it.
Old 12/9/11, 03:21 PM
Post *****

For as hard driving and heated those big V8 engines get from their drivers, 5w30 is the way to go.
You are forgetting, the thicker oil you go, the more it retains heat.

An aluminum engine - with the oil spec'd by the engineers that built the engine - will heat and cool within range according to spec.

Just like the Boss with its higher rpm, has a different spec because of the higher performance and longer duration at high rpm on the track.

What's so hard about following directions anyway???
Old 12/9/11, 06:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
Thats always the case on these types of forums...wait until the chest thumping happens.
Wow you really called that one right!
Old 12/9/11, 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there proof of this change? Haven't heard of it.
Try bob is the oil guy forum. There are some very recent virgin oil analysis on Mobil 1. They are a business and have found a way to make their product cheaper,running on their name because the uninformed public believes the commercials. The only group 4 basestock(true synthetic) is the gold capped bottles. Everything else is a group 3(hydrocracked conventional). The term "synthetic" in America is a marketing term. And castrol syntec or edge is also a group 3.Not what's in the oil. The term synthetic is hazy now anyways. Once petroleum is hydrocracked and all the impurities removed a group 4 is barely better. It's the additive package that's important. An oil with high zinc and molybdenum disulfide will protect very well however zinc clogs up catalytic converters so the EPA is regulating how much oil companies can put in.
Bottles marked "energy conserving" are usually high in moly due to it's friction modification abilities however you can't find them thicker than a 0w-30/5w-30.
Red line,AMSOIL,royal purple and the gold capped mobil 1 bottles are all group 4 basestocks. MOST others are a blended group 3.
Honestly,pick one and stick with it so the additive packages can do their jobs.
I have found that the rotella blue bottle 5w-40 T-6 is fairly cheap and it's an HDEO. When I pulled my 4.6 apart this summer bearings and cams looked great. No scoring or wear,that was immediately visible,and it's very cost effective.
Ultimately this oil topic has been beaten to death. Once you hit a certain price point they are all really good.
Now get out and drive the car,don't sweat the small stuff
Old 12/9/11, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
The only 100% full synthetic oil from Mobil 1 is their Extended Performance batch. 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30. Everything else is false advertising bro.
My point is that "fact" relies 100% on "some guy on the internet said so".

If you've got something better than that, show me. Because I spent an appropriate amount of time researching where this idea came from and all that came up were endless debates between people who have no way of knowing guessing back and forth how much group IV base stock various mobil 1 grades have or don't have vs how much group III base stock.

The fact is nobody but mobil knows for both types of mobil 1:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Base_Oils.aspx
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._Question.aspx

By the way, there is just as much rumor out there that it's EP that has the base III stock while plain M1 has the group IV.

From what I read on Bobistheoilguy it's a tired old subject with no conclusions either way. Their community has shown no difference in oil analysis between regular M1 and M1 EP.

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Full synthetic and 100% synthetic are different things.

Castrol won a lawsuit a few years ago that allowed them to call their oils with up to a certain percent of group 3 base stock full synthetic. Mobile one did the same to save some money.

Only oils from group 4 and 5 base stocks are actually 100% full synthetic.
Urban myth. There hasn't been any such lawsuit.

Mobil filed a complaint the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau against Castrol for false advertising. Castrol convinced the BBB that group III could be so labeled. This is from the bob is the oil guy website where this lawsuit myth appears to be a repeated annoyance.

Post describing the base stocks here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1104984

Group I is solvent extracted from crude oil. It's a mixed bag of hydrocarbons and in North America has fallen out of favor due to not being of very high quality compared to readily available base stocks that are improvements on it.

Group II is hydrocracked and dewaxed oil to produce more of the desired properties and it reduces unsaturated hydrocarbons, which reduces the tendency of the oil to oxidize and thicken out of grade. Most conventional oils in North America are made up of this.

Group II+ is an oil that would typically have very few unsaturated hydrocarbons and lower wax content. It may not be as fully processed as group III, but it is ahead of Group II for quality. Certain higher quality conventional oils use a higher proportion of this.

Group III is a heavily hydrocracked mineral oil. Most synthetic oils on the market are made up of this. The oil molecules are broken down through a variety of processes until they are much more like what has good lubricating properties, and removes or breaks down molecules with negative performance effects such as waxes. Pennzoil Platinum is the highest regarded group III oil on this site.

Group III+ is the extreme end of this, where the final product is basically nothing like any of the components that went into it, but it is still derived by heavily processing crude oil. An example of this would be Shell XHVI base oils. As well, oils are being developed on gas-to-liquids basestocks which would also produce extremely high quality group III bases, fundamentally synthesized but not falling into the definitions of group IV or V.

Group IV is PAO, which most consider along with group V to be a "true" synthetic. It is made up of base oils made from other hydrocarbons (often derived from natural gas) and is made specifically to be a lubricant, and does not have origin as crude oil. Mobil 1 and Amsoil are the best examples of these type of oils. They offer performance throughout extremes, resist oxidation, all kinds of fun stuff.

Group V is a blanket term for anything else, usually ester based oil. Red Line Oil is a common example of this.

On another note, this is probably the source of the Katrina rumor:
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001239508.cfm

All the products in the list at least of that date obviously had PAO (group IV) content.

Last edited by 97GT12; 12/9/11 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12/12/11, 05:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Anyone know anything about Castrol Titanium full synthetic . Any good? Is it a true base IV synthetic oil?

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/12/11 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12/13/11, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone know anything about Castrol Titanium full synthetic . Any good? Is it a true base IV synthetic oil?
Check their site...
Old 12/13/11, 11:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, Castrol and Mobil go through so much trouble to hide what base stocks they use, that I'd rather not give them my business.

One of our TMS members who is local to me is an Amsoil dealer, and by becoming a preferrred customer, the cost for oil is only slightly higher.

I'm ordering 2 gallons of Amsoil 5w20, an Amsoil filter, and Amsoil trans fluid to get the dual clutch junk out of my car. Doing it all when my MGW shifter arrives next week.
Old 12/13/11, 01:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by LEwis26
Personally, Castrol and Mobil go through so much trouble to hide what base stocks they use, that I'd rather not give them my business.

One of our TMS members who is local to me is an Amsoil dealer, and by becoming a preferrred customer, the cost for oil is only slightly higher.

I'm ordering 2 gallons of Amsoil 5w20, an Amsoil filter, and Amsoil trans fluid to get the dual clutch junk out of my car. Doing it all when my MGW shifter arrives next week.
I'd like to go to Amsoil, RP or Redline but the $10+ cost per quart just isn't worth it to me when I can get a five quart container of Castrol Edge w/ Syntec for $21.99. Too many good deals on the more mass synthetics at the parts stores, even if they're not quite as good, IMO.
Old 12/13/11, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kylerohde
I'd like to go to Amsoil, RP or Redline but the $10+ cost per quart just isn't worth it to me when I can get a five quart container of Castrol Edge w/ Syntec for $21.99. Too many good deals on the more mass synthetics at the parts stores, even if they're not quite as good, IMO.
If you spend the $20 a year to become a preferred customer, you can get it for $30 for a gallon container.

So it becomes $60 for 8 quarts, which isnt too bad in my opinion. Not to mention that most places have those 5 quarts for 40 bucks, not 20.
Old 12/13/11, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Amsoil is the only oil I put in my cars. Their filters are good too.
Old 12/13/11, 02:36 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
My my my, these damned oil threads fall somewhere between mind numbingly tedious and hilarious. Everyone suddenly becomes a freaking petroleum engineer with a minor in chemistry (usually the degree was earned at the university of bobistheoilguy).

And for the love of God, Mobil is an oil, Mobile is a city on the coast of Alabama. You'd think a petroleum engineer would know the difference.
Old 12/13/11, 02:43 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
(usually the degree was earned at the university of bobistheoilguy).
You got that right!!
Old 12/13/11, 02:53 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Amsoil is the only oil I put in my cars. Their filters are good too.
100%. I used to use Mobil 1 religously.. then I switched to Amsoil, and my car just ran smoother.... so switched to Amsoil and never looked back since. Now my daily drivers still get the dinosaur oil... I don't care about those.
Old 12/13/11, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did Someone mention amsoil lol ?
Old 12/13/11, 04:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Investment purposes??? No car is an investment... ever. Unless you buy an exotic (ala Ferrari, etc) or a collectible classic. No, I didn't buy the car as an investment. My "toy" cars are just that... my "sunny day" only car, my stress relief after a long days/weeks worth of work - car, my kids are screaming in the house I gotta get out of the house - car. It's my garage queen. All my prior cars were like that... I had a twin turbo 93 RX7 that never saw rain since new... I had a G and a Z too... and now my first forray into american muscle. I LOVE it. Heck, just looking at my cars in the garage already gets me all warm and tingly I'm just a car nut... I love looking at them, driving them, working on them, and especially DETAILING them (I'm OCD, and used to own my own detailing business). So keeping cars neat and clean and polished is a must for me... to each his own.

But yes, the Stang is a GREAT car...I LOVE IT. I only get 12mpg lately, but I don't care haha. It's about to hibernate already though... got first light snow this week.
I can relate to you, i only have 1100 miles on mine since June 2010. I'm in the same boat. Mine is hibernating as well.

Quick Reply: info on oil change DIYs and oil filter choices for 2011+ 5.0s