Sponsored By:

info on oil change DIYs and oil filter choices for 2011+ 5.0s

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/11, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Esp on cold startup.
5w20 and 5w30 have the same cold properties.
Old 12/8/11, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
I.e. you put a 10w-50 oil in a 5w-20 engine and your cams freeze up in the heads due to lack of oil. they will void the warranty because your oil was too thick for the pump to get it to the cams.
Last I heard the Boss 302s engines are recommended to run 5W-50 weight oils. I don't think a heavy weight oil can really harm the cams of these engines but correct me if I'm misunderstanding something. I understand the Boss revs higher and doesn't have oil squirters but I don't remember reading much about the cams varying much from the standard coyote. Have read on bobistheoilguy that 5.0s in Australia are recommended from Ford with 5w-30.

I plan on doing 5W-30 Amsoil myself with a Motorcraft 500 filter.
Old 12/8/11, 05:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 5 w 20 weight oil was recommended by Ford for other reasons than what the engine actually needs. Either weight of 5 w 30 or 5 w 20 will be fine. I have never heard of an engine being damaged because of using 5 w 30 oil complete nonsense and rubbish.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/8/11 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12/8/11, 06:05 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
The 5 w 20 weight oil was recommended by Ford for other reasons than what the engine actually needs. Either weight of 5 w 30 or 5 w 20 will be fine. I have never heard of an engine being damaged because of using 5 w 30 oil complete nonsense and rubbish.
Never said it would destroy the engine. But Ford can void the warranty if they want too. What I don't understand is 5w20 works just fine? Why change? I Chang when the temperatures hit 95+ here in Texas to a 5w30 and that's only because my cobra runs pretty hot mid summer. Winter roles around and I'm back with 5w20
Old 12/8/11, 06:07 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by flySWA737

Last I heard the Boss 302s engines are recommended to run 5W-50 weight oils. I don't think a heavy weight oil can really harm the cams of these engines but correct me if I'm misunderstanding something. I understand the Boss revs higher and doesn't have oil squirters but I don't remember reading much about the cams varying much from the standard coyote. Have read on bobistheoilguy that 5.0s in Australia are recommended from Ford with 5w-30.

Heavy oils can damage the cams and the cam phasers. I've seen it happen. You can tell your self when you put a heavy weight oil into a light weight oil engine and you start it and it takes a few seconds for the lifters to quite down.

Last edited by texastboneking; 12/8/11 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12/8/11, 06:10 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

The 5 w 20 weight oil was recommended by Ford for other reasons than what the engine actually needs.
Funny. I didn't know you were on the Ford team when they designed the engines. Or are you believing whatever you read on the internet? I could say Ford only uses gas in the mustang because its cheaper than diesel. But that wouldn't be right. Just like you comment here.
Old 12/8/11, 06:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Funny. I didn't know you were on the Ford team when they designed the engines. Or are you believing whatever you read on the internet? I could say Ford only uses gas in the mustang because its cheaper than diesel. But that wouldn't be right. Just like you comment here.
Nope, im not on the Ford racing team. Use what you want. Ill stick with 5w 30. That's not heavy

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/8/11 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12/8/11, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by flySWA737

The Boss 5w50 oil reduces to a 5w30 after use. Then again, that's the **** oil that comes in it from the factory.
Old 12/8/11, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
It's still very good. but is not a fully synthetic anymore.
I have a jug of Mobil 1 right here.. says "Fully Synthetic" on it.

Mobil 1 still says it's "Full Synthetic"
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_5W-20.aspx
"Mobil 1 5W-20 is an advanced full synthetic motor oil designed to provide exceptional wear protection, cleaning power and overall performance."

If you can prove it, you have a good lawsuit potential on your hands.

Extended performance appears to simply have an additive package more suitable for extended drain periods.

What I keep finding across the web is rumor. And various 'reasons' why mobil 1 is no longer 'fully synthetic' or it still is...

Ultimately I suppose the confusion comes down to the idea of how much base III vs. IV vs. V is used. The primary basis of this appears to be rumor and guess work and what changes in formulation may or may not mean. In the end though it really doesn't matter how much of each is used, but the performance of the end result which makes these rumors even more worthless.

Rumor says Mobil 1 is mostly base III, guess work is saying it's mostly IV from what I read.... Anyway it seems there is tons of people guessing online with no real facts either way arguing about an essentially meaningless difference.
Old 12/8/11, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT12
I have a jug of Mobil 1 right here.. says "Fully Synthetic" on it.

Mobil 1 still says it's "Full Synthetic"
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_5W-20.aspx
"Mobil 1 5W-20 is an advanced full synthetic motor oil designed to provide exceptional wear protection, cleaning power and overall performance."

If you can prove it, you have a good lawsuit potential on your hands.

Extended performance appears to simply have an additive package more suitable for extended drain periods.

What I keep finding across the web is rumor. And various 'reasons' why mobil 1 is no longer 'fully synthetic' or it still is...

Ultimately I suppose the confusion comes down to the idea of how much base III vs. IV vs. V is used. The primary basis of this appears to be rumor and guess work and what changes in formulation may or may not mean. In the end though it really doesn't matter how much of each is used, but the performance of the end result which makes these rumors even more worthless.

Rumor says Mobil 1 is mostly base III, guess work is saying it's mostly IV from what I read.... Anyway it seems there is tons of people guessing online with no real facts either way arguing about an essentially meaningless difference.
The only 100% full synthetic oil from Mobil 1 is their Extended Performance batch. 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30. Everything else is false advertising bro.
Old 12/8/11, 07:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Full synthetic and 100% synthetic are different things.

Castrol won a lawsuit a few years ago that allowed them to call their oils with up to a certain percent of group 3 base stock full synthetic. Mobile one did the same to save some money.

Only oils from group 4 and 5 base stocks are actually 100% full synthetic.
Old 12/8/11, 08:26 PM
GT Member

Yes
So, if you use the same weight, but a different, respectable brand, Ford can void your warranty? Or just about using a different weight?
Old 12/8/11, 09:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well Since you feel that I'm so off on my statement please enlighten me to the reason that 5 w 20 here in the united states is recommended by Ford. Yet the very same ford automobiles with the very same automobile engines sold in Europe use a 5w 30 weight oil. Ford does not recommend 5w 20 oil for their automobiles sold in Europe which is the same automobiles that sells in the United States. Now if 5 w 20 oil was so much better then why isn't Ford using it in the cars in Europe. Maybe its just me but im lost. Ford x in US needs to use 5W 20 oil. Same Ford X in Europe needs 5W 30 oil.

Don't hurt yourself and let me answer that for you. That's because here in the United States there is a thing called cafe requirements. The 5 w 20 oil is claimed for optimal fuel efficiency and wear to comply with cafe. All nonsense. By all means use 5W20 oil if you feel better but me, im sticking with 5W30 for better engine protection.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/8/11 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12/8/11, 09:49 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by RadioFr33Europe

So, if you use the same weight, but a different, respectable brand, Ford can void your warranty? Or just about using a different weight?
Different weights. As long as you use an oil that meets or exceeds motorcraft oil you are fine. Just don't switch weights. Or if you do, do not tell Ford you did when you go to the dealer.

Also a big role in this is the dealer you go to. Most dealers probably won't give a ****. But some dealers are picky.
Old 12/8/11, 09:54 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Well Since you feel that I'm so off on my statement please enlighten me to the reason that 5 w 20 here in the united states is recommended by Ford. Yet the very same ford automobiles with the very same automobile engines sold in Europe use a 5w 30 weight oil. Ford does not recommend 5w 20 oil for their automobiles sold in Europe which is the same automobiles that sells in the United States. Now if 5 w 20 oil was so much better then why isn't Ford using it in the cars in Europe. Maybe its just me but im lost. Ford x in US needs to use 5W 20 oil. Same Ford X in Europe needs 5W 30 oil.

Don't hurt yourself and let me answer that for you. That's because here in the United States there is a thing called cafe requirements. The 5 w 20 oil is claimed for optimal fuel efficiency and wear to comply with cafe. All nonsense. By all means use 5W20 oil if you feel better but me, im sticking with 5W30 for better engine protection.
Take the climate of Europe, and the general climate of the US. They make the decision on oil weight that will perform best in each climate. Obviously the US generally has a cooler climate (minus the few hot states) and they decide on a thinner oil. Europe's overall climate is a little warmer so they went with a slightly heavier oil.

Like I said, you believe what you read on the internet. Cafe does play a role but that isn't what makes Ford decide on what oil to use. All that cafe crap makes a good story but no one has proved that cafe is the reason Ford chose 5w20.

Last edited by texastboneking; 12/8/11 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12/8/11, 10:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Take the climate of Europe, and the general climate of the US. They make the decision on oil weight that will perform best in each climate. Obviously the US generally has a cooler climate (minus the few hot states) and they decide on a thinner oil. Europe's overall climate is a little warmer so they went with a slightly heavier oil.

Like I said, you believe what you read on the internet. Cafe does play a role but that isn't what makes Ford decide on what oil to use. All that cafe crap makes a good story but no one has proved that cafe is the reason Ford chose 5w20.
Im sure that putting 5W30 oil in the mustang will not hurt it one bit. After all if you shipped your car over to Europe they would put 5w30 oil in it. If you lived in an area of Europe with cooler weather they would still put in 5w30. If the Fords over in Europe don't use 5W20 then Im sure for the majority of the US residents can use 5w30. Now if your living in Alaska, or Fargo sure 5w20 would work.

For as hard driving and heated those big V8 engines get from their drivers, 5w30 is the way to go. What do you harm by going to a 5w30 weight if you live in a area that has all four seasons?

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/8/11 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12/8/11, 10:22 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Im sure that putting 5W30 oil in the mustang will not hurt it one bit.
never said it would. Just stated Ford could void warantee if the felt like it.
What do you harm by going to a 5w30 weight if you live in a area that has all four seasons.
In all honesty you won't hurt anything most likely. But the argument is if Ford will void the warantee over it. And the answer is yes, if they want.
Old 12/8/11, 11:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

never said it would. Just stated Ford could void warantee if the felt like it.

In all honesty you won't hurt anything most likely. But the argument is if Ford will void the warantee over it. And the answer is yes, if they want.
Well then for people who are concerned about the warranty issue use the recommended 5W20 weight and then switch once your 3 year warranty is up. That's of course for those who didn't buy an extended warranty.
Old 12/8/11, 11:20 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

The extended waranty is not near as stringent as the factory warranty. And Ford doesn't send your oil off to get the weight of the oil measured. If you simply say you used 5w20 the dealer wouldn't know the difference.
Old 12/8/11, 11:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The extended waranty is not near as stringent as the factory warranty. And Ford doesn't send your oil off to get the weight of the oil measured. If you simply say you used 5w20 the dealer wouldn't know the difference.
Good to know. So just say, of course I used 5w20 Motorcraft of course.

Quick Reply: info on oil change DIYs and oil filter choices for 2011+ 5.0s