Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I don't think the next Mustang will be anything like what people hope it will be.

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/07, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In addition to the arguments laid out above, there's the matter of the different test methods for the mileage, which will render the EPA mileage estimates about 10% poorer than they are now. The new test method combined with the elimination of the light truck/SUV exclusion will make for a reshuffling of how the companies meet their CAFE requirements.
Old 5/11/07, 05:48 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LBJay
Well there is this little kicker in the Senate Bill.

Quote:
(2) ELIMINATION OF SUV LOOPHOLE- Beginning not later than model year 2013, the regulations prescribed under this section may not make any distinction between passenger automobiles and light trucks.
Quote:
The current standard is 27.5 mpg for passenger automobiles and 20.7 mpg for light trucks, a classification that also includes sport utility vehicles (SUVs).

The Automakers have been skirting the CAFE by have two standards, one for cars and one for light trucks. Combining them all into one will have a BIG effect.
It's about time !
Old 5/16/07, 01:48 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tacbear
My 1985 Mustang GT had a 2.73 rear end and weighed 3025 pounds with a full tank of gas and I kept a book of every time I got gas. It got between 28 and 31 mpg on the Highway and 22 to 24 mpg in the city. With slicks I ran a 13.89@100 mph (exhaust, carb. spacer, K and N filter, Under Drive Pullies, all syntetic lubes).

I know Ford could build a 3200# RWD Mustang with 350 hp and a 6 speed tranny that could get 20 city/28+ highway if they wanted to!!
I honestly am having trouble believing this. I have a 93 mustang gt and don't get anywhere near that kind of gas mileage and mine is the year they added all the extra smog equipment and lowered the hp rating to 205hp. I average about 14-15 mpg with mostly city driving and modest traffic. You either had the 4 cylinder model or are exaggerating. I have only a intake and exhaust (just mufflers as far as I know) so I don't see why there is such disparity between are numbers.

As for the cafe standards, they are useless in my opinion. I don't believe it is good to make laws that mandate what type of vehicle people must drive (which this essentially does). The Big 3 will be forced to artificially sell less suv's and trucks so they can offset their cafe numbers. All those things that help gas mileage come with a price too. They can't just add it without adding to the price of the vehicle. The best thing the government can do is provide incentives for alternative fuels and maybe even the big 3 can invest in alternative fuels themselves. This will help our oil problem far more than forcing manufacturers to build certain types of vehicles.
Old 5/16/07, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
I am actually glad they are imposing some tough standards. I am sick of the hp war.. It might make cars lose hp right away but look what happened from the 60's until now. we were able to figure out how to make the same power as 60's muscle cars and get double to triple the mileage and much cleaner.

And this will make manufactures work on other things like weight reduction since you can can get great mileage with high hp if you keep weight down.
I agree with this.

Also, as already stated... it's about **** time to put and end to the stupid SUVs skipping the gas guzzler tax.
Old 5/19/07, 06:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 1985 Mustang GT had a 2.73 rear end and weighed 3025 pounds with a full tank of gas and I kept a book of every time I got gas. It got between 28 and 31 mpg on the Highway and 22 to 24 mpg in the city. With slicks I ran a 13.89@100 mph (exhaust, carb. spacer, K and N filter, Under Drive Pullies, all synthetic lubes).
I know Ford could build a 3200# RWD Mustang with 350 hp and a 6 speed tranny that could get 20 city/28+ highway if they wanted to!!

Originally Posted by Klay
I honestly am having trouble believing this. I have a 93 mustang gt and don't get anywhere near that kind of gas mileage and mine is the year they added all the extra smog equipment and lowered the hp rating to 205hp. I average about 14-15 mpg with mostly city driving and modest traffic. You either had the 4 cylinder model or are exaggerating. I have only a intake and exhaust (just mufflers as far as I know) so I don't see why there is such disparity between are numbers.
Believe it or not, I don't really care!! This was my first new car and I kept up with every drop of gas I bought for the first 100,000 miles and I never got less than 27 mpg on a long trip or 23 mpg in the city. The last trip I took in the car was over 400 miles from Huntsville,AL to Gulfport, MS and I didn't fill up until I got to Gulfport (I think it took 13 gallons or so) and the car had over 100,000 mile on it at that time!!

P.S. I suppose you won't believe that my 381 rwhp Superchrged Mustang that I drive now gets 26 to 27 mpg on the highway and I have never got under 20 mpg, even when I race it all day long at the track!!!!
Old 5/19/07, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

P.S. I suppose you won't believe that my 381 rwhp Superchrged Mustang that I drive now gets 26 to 27 mpg on the highway and I have never got under 20 mpg, even when I race it all day long at the track!!!!
You're right, I don't.
Old 5/19/07, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I(tuned down the street at my neighbors house "Doug" of BAMA Chips)
How cool is that?
Old 5/20/07, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

[HTML]
Originally Posted by MrClean
How cool is that?
Actually Doug tuned my car before he got his dyno, but he will be Re-tuning my car in his front yard when I install the Intercooler!!

P.S. What is cool is when I go by his house, you never know what he will have sitting on the dyno...sometimes it's a 500 hp Mustang, sometimes its his Mini-van, or his 4 wheeler, motorcycle or his Pick Up Truck. We have been trying to figure out how to dyno his little boys' Electric Mustang car-car
Old 5/21/07, 07:16 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by clockworks
You're right, I don't.
You should. My 96 cobra had 4.10's and made 295rwhp and it got 25-26mpg on the free way. Alot of low mpg problems are not nessecarily the car, more is to be said about the foot on the pedal. If you know how to drive ultra conservative, you can get some incredible fuel mileage out of just about anything.
Old 5/21/07, 09:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Scothew
You should. My 96 cobra had 4.10's and made 295rwhp and it got 25-26mpg on the free way. Alot of low mpg problems are not nessecarily the car, more is to be said about the foot on the pedal. If you know how to drive ultra conservative, you can get some incredible fuel mileage out of just about anything.
I believe this lack of knowing how to drive (that is not knowing how to conserve momentum) is the reason they revised (dummied down) the EPA figures recently.
Old 5/21/07, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gmichaelj1
I believe this lack of knowing how to drive (that is not knowing how to conserve momentum) is the reason they revised (dummied down) the EPA figures recently.
Old 5/21/07, 07:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I think the traditional EPA figures gave you a number to try for if you know how to drive.
I have always been able to meet or exceed the highway numbers on any car I've owned if I was just very careful (even with factory big block engines).
(Of course normally I drive with my foot to the floor until I reach the speed limit.)
I agree they just dumbed them down because of whiners and idiots.
Old 5/21/07, 10:50 PM
Cam Tease

Originally Posted by karman

Apparently then "whiners and idiots" comprise the vast majority of America's motoring public. They revised the system to better predict the results most people will get, not those attained by Naderite grandmothers nor stoplight John Forces.
Old 5/22/07, 05:50 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
Apparently then "whiners and idiots" comprise the vast majority of America's motoring public. They revised the system to better predict the results most people will get, not those attained by Naderite grandmothers nor stoplight John Forces.
Lowest Common Denominator. Sorry I'm off topic.
Old 5/23/07, 05:23 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by karman
I think the traditional EPA figures gave you a number to try for if you know how to drive.
I have always been able to meet or exceed the highway numbers on any car I've owned if I was just very careful (even with factory big block engines).
(Of course normally I drive with my foot to the floor until I reach the speed limit.)
While I have also been able to exceed the EPA highway #s for every vehicle I've owned, I disagree that the EPA #s have been "dumbed down".

The old EPA #s were very unrealistic. They did not include the use of air conditioning, something that contributed to the insanely high #s hybrids got under the old test.

Also, the old EPA #s did not include any cold starts, they were based on the vehicle being brought up to full temp before the start of the test.

Finally, the EPA city test was so short that many hybrids barely used their engines, so city #s were inflated as the test did not account for recharging the batteries.

A number of other changes were made, all and all a very good and long overdue change to the MPG testing.
Old 5/24/07, 12:36 PM
V6 Member

Well, I appreciate your telling us about the hybrids. I didn't know about those artifically high scores. I'll bet the new owners were a bit PO'd when the actual milage "varied." But, I travel behind countless idiots who ride their brakes down hill then accelerate up to maintain speed. Or accelerate and brake hard in stop and go traffic. That, and the fact that for the last 4 months or so, I've been getting 22.4 mpg with the GT in city driving makes me think that if most drivers (excepting now the hybrids) paid better attention to their driving they could easily get the "old" numbers.
Old 5/24/07, 01:44 PM
V6 Member

I'll bet you'll find that those getting the decent mileage numbers are the same ones (like me) getting 90,000 miles on a set of brakes. I grew up in the 70's, I know how to squeeze a gallon of gas til it squeals. Lately I've been making about 22 mpg or so ave. Could do better but I love that 5 sec run to 60.
Old 5/24/07, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kepfordj
I'll bet you'll find that those getting the decent mileage numbers are the same ones (like me) getting 90,000 miles on a set of brakes. I grew up in the 70's, I know how to squeeze a gallon of gas til it squeals. Lately I've been making about 22 mpg or so ave. Could do better but I love that 5 sec run to 60.
I've been able to granny it around to get 20+ mpg average, but the 2 or 3 times a day I get to open her up to 120 mph for a ½ mile stretch, combined with some hellacious 5 mph Houston stop-and-go traffic in the morning drops it to 16 average.....but then I get out and tell my wife (every day) what a blast it is to drive this car everyday, so I don't care....I have thought about converting it to CNG or LPG at some point though.....
Old 5/25/07, 07:55 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Well, I appreciate your telling us about the hybrids. I didn't know about those artifically high scores. I'll bet the new owners were a bit PO'd when the actual milage "varied.".
It's been all over the news for the last 6 months.
Even made network evening news shows several times. One story I saw showed PO'd Prius owners who were mad that they were getting 15 MPG lower than claimed.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...dmileage_x.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...idwatch01.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/248/story/547737.html

http://www.lemonlawcenter.com/hybrid-gas-mileage.htm
Old 5/25/07, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by V10
It's been all over the news for the last 6 months.
Even made network evening news shows several times. One story I saw showed PO'd Prius owners who were mad that they were getting 15 MPG lower than claimed.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...dmileage_x.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...idwatch01.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/248/story/547737.html

http://www.lemonlawcenter.com/hybrid-gas-mileage.htm

I've got to chime in again....I used to have a Honda Insight (the 1st hybrid on the market), and I drove this thing as a DD commuter, and also to Atlanta from Houston twice, and to Orlando from Houston once, and the best mileage I averaged on a tank was 70.7 mpg (there was a lot of drafting behind semi's involved), but on the highway to FLA or GA (going 80 mph to not get run over by semi's), it was more like 50 mpg. In regular commuting, keeping it at 60 mph, I regularly got 60 mpg. In case you're wondering, at the same time I also had a '97 Viper GTS to get my acceleration kicks, but it was a toy, not a DD, and since I drove it like I stole it, I averaged 9 mpg! Now I only drove it 6 miles/day, whereas I drove the Insight 60 miles a day, so the weighted average of my 2 (extreme) vehicles was still a respectable 39.6 mpg!

Quick Reply: I don't think the next Mustang will be anything like what people hope it will be.