Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I don't think the next Mustang will be anything like what people hope it will be.

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/07, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Lawn Furniture 0
Newbie 1
V6 Member 50
GT Member 100
Bullitt Member 200
Mach 1 Member 500
Cobra Member 1000
Cobra R Member 1500
Shelby GT350 Member 2000
Shelby GT500 Member 2500
FR500 Member 3000
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member 3500
Super Boss Lawman Member 4000
GTR Member 4500
Mustang Fanatic 6500
Mustang Forum Stalker 8500
I Have No Life 10000
Post ***** 50000
Old 7/2/07, 09:15 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Lawn Furniture 0
Newbie 1
V6 Member 50
GT Member 100
Bullitt Member 200
Mach 1 Member 500
Cobra Member 1000
Cobra R Member 1500
Shelby GT350 Member 2000
Shelby GT500 Member 2500
FR500 Member 3000
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member 3500
Super Boss Lawman Member 4000
GTR Member 4500
Mustang Fanatic 6500
Mustang Forum Stalker 8500
I Have No Life 10000
Post ***** 50000
You forgot Galactic Herald of the Known Stangiverse 1,000,000

Old 7/2/07, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
The big problem is aircraft. Unless someone has evidence to the contrary, I don't believe jet aircraft will run on hydrogen OR biofuel.
Emirates is starting to run on GTL, which isn't a bio fuel, but CTL isn't far behind, and as long as we can get cetane number and cloud point right, biodiesel could be modified for aircraft use. We're not there yet, but that's not a major issue, its more a matter of getting the testing done, "um, yeah, well we need to test the fuel, so get your butt in the plane and lets see if thge fuel freezes in the lines when you're at 30,000 feet!"
Old 7/2/07, 10:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

It should just change automatically when you reach a certain number of posts, I believe.
yes, so how come you made your own one up if you're not a mod....
Old 7/2/07, 10:14 PM

[quote=Hollywood_North GT;954154]
Originally Posted by michaelkulov

Hooray! Progress! You've moved from "...when this theory is debunked..." to "possibly" in just a few posts. Nanners for the noob!

If you're planning on hanging around here for a while, you might want to be a little less combative when first addressing the posts of others ... otherwise you best save some of that luck for yourself.
exactly. possibly is more akin to fact and can go either way. "theory is debunked" is my opinion. thank's for the props

btw nice car. nice seats especially.
Old 7/2/07, 10:30 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Mustang stages are pre-set based on posts
Lawn Furnature -> Newbie -> V6 -> GT -> Bullitt -> Mach -> Cobra etc etc

All others are custom.
You either have to do something really ... well we'll just say, you have to get noticed.
Old 7/2/07, 11:47 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by MrClean
yes, so how come you made your own one up if you're not a mod....
Ahhhhh, OK, now I gotcha. I requested that they change my handle, and when they did, they put in my old handle in place of the "ranking."
Old 7/2/07, 11:54 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by MrClean
Emirates is starting to run on GTL, which isn't a bio fuel, but CTL isn't far behind, and as long as we can get cetane number and cloud point right, biodiesel could be modified for aircraft use. We're not there yet, but that's not a major issue, its more a matter of getting the testing done, "um, yeah, well we need to test the fuel, so get your butt in the plane and lets see if thge fuel freezes in the lines when you're at 30,000 feet!"
GTL = 'Gas To Liquid'...and CTL = 'Coal To Liquid'?

Biodiesel for aircraft fuel, huh? Interesting. What is "cloud point," incidentally?

And yeah, I wouldn't want to be the Chuck Yeager on that flight.
Old 7/2/07, 11:57 PM
Closet American

exactly. possibly is more akin to fact and can go either way. "theory is debunked" is my opinion. thank's for the props
Anytime.

btw nice car. nice seats especially.
Thanks.
Old 7/3/07, 12:59 AM
V6 Member

This is who Ford needs to start working with (buy out, whatever it takes)......

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php

I'm sure if this kinda technology gets some SERIOUS cash thrown into it we could begin figure out how to incorporate it somehow.
Old 7/3/07, 01:52 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Camulos
This is who Ford needs to start working with (buy out, whatever it takes)......

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php

I'm sure if this kinda technology gets some SERIOUS cash thrown into it we could begin figure out how to incorporate it somehow.
Yeah, Tesla shows some serious promise.
Old 7/3/07, 05:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

GTL = 'Gas To Liquid'...and CTL = 'Coal To Liquid'?

Biodiesel for aircraft fuel, huh? Interesting. What is "cloud point," incidentally?

And yeah, I wouldn't want to be the Chuck Yeager on that flight.
Yes GTL = natural gas to liquids, resulting in 0% sulfur diesel (its actually clear, and non toxic...sure it'll give you the runs, but you can actually ingest it...no I have tried it myself!) CTL used the same process after the coal is gassified to produce the diesel, called the Fisher-Tropsh (sp?) process....Germans invened it during WWII...

Cloud point is the temperature at which diesel/jetfuel turns literally cloudy....ie starts to gel up...not a good thing when flying!
Old 7/11/07, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...Gw8&refer=home
Old 7/11/07, 06:10 PM
Closet American

That's interesting, but it does little to refute the fact that humans are altering both the environment and the planet. From global warming to overpopulation...to the newest crisis, the disappearance of bees, this planet is changing in ways that aren't going to be good for us.
Old 7/11/07, 06:39 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe George Carlin was right, the earth wanted plastic, didn't know how to make it, so it made humans who could make plastic, now that the earth has plastic it doesn't need us anymore!
Old 7/11/07, 08:49 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by bob
Maybe George Carlin was right, the earth wanted plastic, didn't know how to make it, so it made humans who could make plastic, now that the earth has plastic it doesn't need us anymore!
Old 10/20/07, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RomaTX
MPG ratings apply to gasoline powered engines not nessisarly diesel or alternatively powered engines. And while it is completely reasonable to ask the big three to meet european standards, i think the best way to go here is to start developing alternative fuel vehicles that can make real power. My vote is for biodiesel. Cause E85 is a joke. you know what the 85 stands for? it means that 85% of the fuel is stil GASOLINE! but if someone were to work on making a biodesal engine that could really put some power out, i'd buy it no problem. And you know what the best part about biodiesal is? you can make it in your back yard with some old 55 gal drums and a little patience. So good for us that we are finally meeting the minimun standard of every other comparable nation. Now we just need that 300+ hp engine that'll run on beet juice!
Wrong!!!!

E85 is an alcohol fuel mixture that typically contains a mixture of up to 85% denatured ethanol and 15% gasoline or other hydrocarbon by volume. On an undenatured basis, the ethanol component ranges from 70% to 83%. E85 as a fuel is widely used in Sweden and is becoming increasingly common in the United States, mainly in the Midwest where corn is a major crop and is the primary source material for ethanol fuel production; however as yet, there are still only about 800 filling stations selling E85 to the public in the US, and only one in Canada[1], [2].
Old 10/20/07, 08:41 AM
Cobra Member

My 2005 V6 averages 29-31 mpg so it is possible that 35mpg or more can be reached by 2020.
Old 10/20/07, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Klay
I honestly am having trouble believing this. I have a 93 mustang gt and don't get anywhere near that kind of gas mileage and mine is the year they added all the extra smog equipment and lowered the hp rating to 205hp. I average about 14-15 mpg with mostly city driving and modest traffic. You either had the 4 cylinder model or are exaggerating. I have only a intake and exhaust (just mufflers as far as I know) so I don't see why there is such disparity between are numbers.

As for the cafe standards, they are useless in my opinion. I don't believe it is good to make laws that mandate what type of vehicle people must drive (which this essentially does). The Big 3 will be forced to artificially sell less suv's and trucks so they can offset their cafe numbers. All those things that help gas mileage come with a price too. They can't just add it without adding to the price of the vehicle. The best thing the government can do is provide incentives for alternative fuels and maybe even the big 3 can invest in alternative fuels themselves. This will help our oil problem far more than forcing manufacturers to build certain types of vehicles.
I don't care if you believe it or not, do you want a photo copy of the records I kept for 11 years that show every tank of gas I put in the car??

I guess you don't believe I get 22 city and 27 Hwy in my supercharged 00 GT!
Old 10/21/07, 02:46 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tacbear
Wrong!!!!
I was gonna say the same thing 85% alchohol, 15% gasoline, just so its easier to start the engine.

Engines designed to burn gasoline lose power because you have to use so much more fuel with E85 and the static compression is down, IIRC E85 has a similar octane rating to 100+ (dunno where exactly but methinks its like 108 octane) gasoline.

I think the real down side to trying to switch over is the sheer volume of fuel that would be needed to power the US fleet (and I'm just talking cars). corn is okay, but sugar cane would be better.

If consumers are dead set on using alchohol, it would probably have be phased in as growing and manufacturing got better in order to meet demand, IMO I still think seeing a complete E85 fleet would b e pretty darn near impossible unless there was a big shift in the way we live (moving back into cities, increasing public transportation, converting the US car fleet to modest transportation like SMART cars).

Quick Reply: I don't think the next Mustang will be anything like what people hope it will be.