Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I don't think the next Mustang will be anything like what people hope it will be.

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/07, 01:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They'll offer a spoiler as long as people want it. It's like those annoying telemarketers: if everyone ignored them they'd go away, but they stick around becuase some people actually do buy their crap.
Old 6/17/07, 03:10 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by n00bstang
make the mustang smaller.
good luck with that, the trend for bigger cars in fatmerica is not only so all the Jabbas can fit in the car, but it creates space to live in the event of an accident. This of course nessecitates the use of more metal to stiffen the wider and longer body which in turn adds more weight.
Old 6/17/07, 03:17 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
They'll offer a spoiler as long as people want it. It's like those annoying telemarketers: if everyone ignored them they'd go away, but they stick around becuase some people actually do buy their crap.
Yeah, right. One has only to look at the rolling ***** house known as a WS6 Firehawk to know that spoilers and scoops aren't disappearing anytime soon, and despite my soft spot for them, lets not forget the Mach 1 with its shaker, all useless items which add drag to the car.

There is only two states are can be coming into the car, Hot or Cold and it doesn't matter where you draw it from (unless of course you can break the sound barrier, then you can ram air into the engine).

However, as the Mustang has shown, you need visual excitement, even if it is detrimental to the overall performance of the car, with no better example than the F4 Camaro, it was a slave to performance and we all see how well that did the F bod cars.
Old 6/21/07, 02:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I live less then 5 miles from work, I don't worry about all this silly MPG stuff

Ford could just release 4 100mpg moped models
Old 6/22/07, 03:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

I agree, Kevin! It is all about the length of your commute. I live ~8 miles from work, so use about one gallon per day commuting. I have coworkers who live 40-50 miles from work so would use around two gallons per day commuting in a Prius--probably more as I understand they don't get nearly the mileage that Toyota claims!
Old 6/22/07, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

My commute's 59 mi RT...about 3.75 galls/day when I'm leadfooting it (16 mpg, $12/day @ $3.2 for 93 Octane).

Kinda expensive if you consider it transportation only....

but I don't.....to me, the rumble of my V8+FRPP Stingers, the acceleration rush when I get an opening in traffic, the admiring looks of people driving transportation appliances (Accord/Camry/Taurus/Insert boring GM product name), all make it worth the $12/day.

And I do occasionally get 18 mpg, and even 20 mpg when conditions merit, and I stay off the gas, reducing my gas consumption to $10.67 or $9.6 respectively.
Old 6/28/07, 04:49 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Knight
And this will make manufactures work on other things like weight reduction since you can can get great mileage with high hp if you keep weight down.
Good luck. As long as they keep mandating increased safety standards along with the higher mileage requirements, cars won't go down in weight. In fact, with bells & whistles also being added every year, the weight will remain the same, if not increase.

Get ready, folks: the world is a-changin' - driven by peak oil and massive environmental changes to our planet - and in the first half of this century automobiles are going to undergo a profound change on every level. By 2020 - 2030, the gas-guzzling muscle cars of today will be a distant memory.
Old 6/28/07, 04:59 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Topnotch
Why not spend some of the money on increasing
gasoline engines performance, emissions, "carbon footprint", weight
etc instead of these "alternative" fuels and power sources.
Because we've reached peak oil and it won't last forever. Most experts expect that by sometime this century - perhaps as early as 2050 - it will take the equivalent energy of a barrel of oil to extract a barrel of oil out of the ground in a near perfect 1/1 ratio. At that point, oil extrication will no longer be economically viable...and will cease altogether. Imagine a world where air travel (which depends upon the petroleum-based kerosene) ceases virtually overnight.

Oil really is a miracle product in many ways. But we urgently need to find new, potent, economical sources of compact, portable energy...and we need to do it yesterday.
Old 6/28/07, 05:54 AM
Cobra Member

It eerily feels like the 1970's again. But, at least this time, we have technology by our sides. Back in the 70's, we didn't have 300hp V6's.
Old 6/28/07, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Because we've reached peak oil and it won't last forever. Most experts expect that by sometime this century - perhaps as early as 2050 - it will take the equivalent energy of a barrel of oil to extract a barrel of oil out of the ground in a near perfect 1/1 ratio. At that point, oil extrication will no longer be economically viable...and will cease altogether. Imagine a world where air travel (which depends upon the petroleum-based kerosene) ceases virtually overnight.

Oil really is a miracle product in many ways. But we urgently need to find new, potent, economical sources of compact, portable energy...and we need to do it yesterday.

This is crap....I don't expect the civilized world to come to a screeching halt because oil dries up, I'm saying it will be all smooth sailing, but I'm not taking a fatalistic view of what your saying happening...
Old 6/28/07, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

H_N_GT:

I'm in the oil bidness, and as such have access to a slew of research, consultants and information otherwise not available (we pay big $$ for it).

Here's an article published by the very respected CERA on the Peak Oil Theory, and why it doesn't hold up. Enjoy the reading.

Now I agree cars' powertrains will look very different in the years to come, but cars like our will continue to be produced because....drumroll....there will continue to be a demand for them, albeit somewhat diminished by the price of fuel. In fact, we might see hydrogen powered cars, V12s like the beamers, or cars like our converted to LPG and GNG/LNG. I used to have a '75 Grand Wagoneer with the 400 ci engine, and I had a 40 gal propane tank in back, and could switch back and forth between gasoline and LPG. Furthermore, ethanol is in its infancy...right now in the US its mostly made from corn, but that will soon change to a cellulosic manufacturing process, turning your yars grass cuttings, and biomass in general into ethanol (with an octane perk). other techonolgies are emerging, like biobutanol, which has a lower RVP than ethanol and a 40% higher energy content, and of course biodiesel. The internal combustion engine won't go away as oil gets more expensive, it will morph to more power per cc and more mpg...which can also be used for MORE HP in other applications.....LIKE OURS!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Peak Oil Theory (3).pdf (210.0 KB, 1228 views)
Old 6/28/07, 06:41 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by MrClean
H_N_GT:

I'm in the oil bidness, and as such have access to a slew of research, consultants and information otherwise not available (we pay big $$ for it).

Here's an article published by the very respected CERA on the Peak Oil Theory, and why it doesn't hold up. Enjoy the reading.
I've read thumbnails of CERA's theories before, and as you well know, there are MANY who criticize the organization's findings as being nothing more than heavily skewed propoganda written by oil cheerleaders. (Note: CERA has not had a wonderful record for accurate predictions, reportedly on natural gas prices which it seriously got wrong recently.)

Even if you put peak oil aside for a moment, the evidence of global warming - and man's contribution to it - is now incontrovertible (except, of course, for the types who believe the Earth was created 5000 years ago and that dinosaurs walked with man). Whether you agree with this view or not, those in power are slowly beginning to act, and that means vehicles will undergo mandated change over the next couple of decades, leading to your below point, which I mostly agree with (Brazil, for example, runs its cars on pure biofuel grown from sugar cane) >>

Now I agree cars' powertrains will look very different in the years to come, but cars like our will continue to be produced because....drumroll....there will continue to be a demand for them, albeit somewhat diminished by the price of fuel. In fact, we might see hydrogen powered cars, V12s like the beamers, or cars like our converted to LPG and GNG/LNG. I used to have a '75 Grand Wagoneer with the 400 ci engine, and I had a 40 gal propane tank in back, and could switch back and forth between gasoline and LPG. Furthermore, ethanol is in its infancy...right now in the US its mostly made from corn, but that will soon change to a cellulosic manufacturing process, turning your yars grass cuttings, and biomass in general into ethanol (with an octane perk). other techonolgies are emerging, like biobutanol, which has a lower RVP than ethanol and a 40% higher energy content, and of course biodiesel. The internal combustion engine won't go away as oil gets more expensive, it will morph to more power per cc and more mpg...which can also be used for MORE HP in other applications.....LIKE OURS!
Old 6/28/07, 06:44 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by GT98
This is crap...I don't expect the civilized world to come to a screeching halt because oil dries up...
If wishes were horses...
Old 6/29/07, 02:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Old 6/29/07, 05:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

N_H_GT: Thank God we live in a country where we can agree to disagree and that be all!
Old 6/29/07, 05:46 AM
Closet American

N_H_GT: Thank God we live in a country where we can agree to disagree and that be all!
Yes, it's true that we live in countries where we can agree to disagree, but then agreement (or the lack thereof) is a poor substitute for reality.

I seem to recall those in the tobacco industry telling us for years that smoking was safe - even after such claims had unequivocally been proven false. Heck, they even had a few campaigns telling the public smoking was good for a person.

Bottom line: big industries will spin any number of lies to protect themselves.
Old 6/29/07, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, it's true that we live in countries where we can agree to disagree, but then agreement (or the lack thereof) is a poor substitute for reality.

I seem to recall those in the tobacco industry telling us for years that smoking was safe - even after such claims had unequivocally been proven false. Heck, they even had a few campaigns telling the public smoking was good for a person.

Bottom line: big industries will spin any number of lies to protect themselves.

Dude, I'm not gonna get into it with you here. You're the press: left leaning to the bone, etc. I suppose you believe Al Gore's "An inconvenient Truth" is actually true and not fraught with oversimplifications, assumptions, and just plain jumping to conclusions because it fits his political agenda. Global warming may be happening, but its not due to what were putting in the atmosphere....its a ...never mind...I said I'm not going to get into it with a tree-hugging media member (Canadian to boot!), and I won't.
Old 6/29/07, 09:42 AM
Cobra Member

global warming!
peak oil!
Al Qaeda Jihad!

Pick you favorite threat to humanity , or just pick all three and hold a candlelight vigil or protest! It's a great way to meet activist chicks!

Personally, I miss Nuclear Holocaust, the Coming Ice Age, and the Y2K threat as the threats I miss most.

Experts have been predicting we're going run out of oil since oil was first discovered. In the 70's they told us we would run out of oil by the year 2000. Everybody thought we'd end up like the "Mad Max" movies. Seven years later we still have oil. Now they are predicting we will run out of oil by 2100.

As long as somebody can make a profit on oil, it will be available.
Old 6/29/07, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
global warming!
peak oil!
Al Qaeda Jihad!

Pick you favorite threat to humanity , or just pick all three and hold a candlelight vigil or protest! It's a great way to meet activist chicks!

Personally, I miss Nuclear Holocaust, the Coming Ice Age, and the Y2K threat as the threats I miss most.

Experts have been predicting we're going run out of oil since oil was first discovered. In the 70's they told us we would run out of oil by the year 2000. Everybody thought we'd end up like the "Mad Max" movies. Seven years later we still have oil. Now they are predicting we will run out of oil by 2100.

As long as somebody can make a profit on oil, it will be available.

You're correct, sir! We may have already run out of $45/Bbl oil, but we still have plenty of $70/Bbl oil, not to mention the $100/Bbl oil on the back shelf!

BTW, I do miss the Y2K panic....it was a good excuse to stock up on ammo; I think I had 1500 rounds of .45 ACP!
Old 6/29/07, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

We've gotten WAY OFF TOPIC, but since the discussion has included powertrains and fuels (and where they'll likely come from), here's a new (and very recent) breakthough by chemical and biological engineering Professor James Dumesic of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/7204

dimethylfuran (DMF) has 40% higher energy content than ethanol, doesn't absorb water like ethanol, and has a much lower RVP (Reid Vapor Pressure), making it a suitable transportation fuel....and it starts out as biomass. It is deemed to be "carbon-neutral".

here's the Google search I did on DMF, so y'all can see other resources on the future fuel:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...lfuran&spell=1

Quick Reply: I don't think the next Mustang will be anything like what people hope it will be.