Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I don't think the next Mustang will be anything like what people hope it will be.

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/07, 07:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the next Mustang will be anything like what people hope it will be.

http://www.reuters.com/article/envir...45860020070508

Senate panel sets 35 mpg auto standard by 2020

The proposal to reform the 30-year-old Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) program would require that the nation's fleet of passenger cars and light trucks -- SUVs, minivans and pickups -- improve fuel efficiency by 4 percent annually. Changes would begin in 2011 and the fleet would have to average 35 miles per gallon by 2020.
Four percent gains would be expected annually after that but no longer-term target was set.
Large CAFE increases and Big HP don't go together....
Old 5/9/07, 07:39 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am actually glad they are imposing some tough standards. I am sick of the hp war.. It might make cars lose hp right away but look what happened from the 60's until now. we were able to figure out how to make the same power as 60's muscle cars and get double to triple the mileage and much cleaner.

And this will make manufactures work on other things like weight reduction since you can can get great mileage with high hp if you keep weight down.
Old 5/9/07, 08:18 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As long as they don't let the future hit them in the A** I think the next mustang will continue the trend, especially if the new engines are built for the newer standards.
Old 5/9/07, 09:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Knight
And this will make manufactures work on other things like weight reduction since you can can get great mileage with high hp if you keep weight down.
Sorry but to get any meaningful weight reduction today it's either size reduction or substantial materials cost increase.

A new Miata weighs 2,498 lbs. 2007 Mustang 3,477lbs. And Mazda tried to shave every gram they could while keeping costs down.

Do you really want a new Mustang II?
Old 5/9/07, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LBJay
Please baby Jesus, no new Mustang II's. I have nightmares of a new Mustang II based on the Focus.
Old 5/9/07, 09:57 AM
Cobra Member

Those new MPG standards probably have something to do with this:

New Mustang V6 Engine Listed for 2010???
Old 5/9/07, 10:17 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry but to get any meaningful weight reduction today it's either size reduction or substantial materials cost increase.
size reduction would be greatly appraciated the 05+ is huge. It needs cut down in every dimension.

Wouldn't be II bad. (pun intended.)
Old 5/9/07, 11:42 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think the TwinForce is set to replace the GT/V8,
but to fill the void.

The older 4.6/5.4 V8 engines are oldschool now and probably won't have a lot done to them to improve the MPG ... and no need to when the BOSS engines will be there to replace it.
Old 5/9/07, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

The 3.5 in the Edge is only getting 18 city/25 hwy mpg. So same basic engine with more cubes and more HP will not equate to better fuel economy.

There is no hidden MPG magic in the closets of the Big 3.

I afraid that the days of the Mustang, as we know it, are numbered. A Mustang GT based on a Focus platform doesn't interest me.
Old 5/9/07, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Who didn't see this coming? Gas prices at $3.07 a gallon, maybe $4.00 by August. Global Warming. Crisis in the Middle East. etc.

I think cars like the Mustang and the Corvette will always have a V8 option, but I doubt we see 340hp Hemi's in the 300C & Charger 8 or 10 years from now.

As long as I have a V8 Mustang to play with on the weekends, I'll be happy. I don't see anything wrong with modern V6 engines. Some are more powerful then the V8's we were producing just a few years ago. This will also force the Big 3 to produce better, more powerful 4 cylinders.
Old 5/9/07, 01:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

There is plenty of mpg magic untapped in the halls of every auto maker. It has been left dormant, completed or otherwise, for so long because they simply didn't need it, or at least didn't perceive a need for it.

Direct injection across the board, more advanced versions of VVT and cam phasing, compacted graphite iron engine blocks and transmission housings, increased usage of plastics, even stuff which once seemed pretty far out like camless engine designs are all closer than most believe.

Frankly, given the current state the Big Three are in they should be looking at future CAFE standards as an advantage since it lends them an opportunity to get a serious leg up on the competition which they otherwise might not have. Of course they aren't doing so which brings to light yet again why the Big Three are in the dire straits that they are....a near complete lack of imagination and absolutely no stones.
Old 5/9/07, 01:14 PM
Cobra Member

The 3.5 in the Edge is only getting 18 city/25 hwy mpg. So same basic engine with more cubes and more HP will not equate to better fuel economy.

I afraid that the days of the Mustang, as we know it, are numbered. A Mustang GT based on a Focus platform doesn't interest me.
The Edge is about 500 lbs heavier than a Mustang, so better MPG for the 3.5 in a lighter vehicle seems possible.
Old 5/9/07, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
I don't think the TwinForce is set to replace the GT/V8,
but to fill the void.

The older 4.6/5.4 V8 engines are oldschool now and probably won't have a lot done to them to improve the MPG ... and no need to when the BOSS engines will be there to replace it.
When is the Boss coming? Even the Blue Oval Forum is nebulous on that subject....can't wait. Maybe I'll do no more mods to this engine and just swap it out for a Boss 302 when it gets here.....
Old 5/9/07, 04:06 PM
V6 Member

MPG ratings apply to gasoline powered engines not nessisarly diesel or alternatively powered engines. And while it is completely reasonable to ask the big three to meet european standards, i think the best way to go here is to start developing alternative fuel vehicles that can make real power. My vote is for biodiesel. Cause E85 is a joke. you know what the 85 stands for? it means that 85% of the fuel is stil GASOLINE! but if someone were to work on making a biodesal engine that could really put some power out, i'd buy it no problem. And you know what the best part about biodiesal is? you can make it in your back yard with some old 55 gal drums and a little patience. So good for us that we are finally meeting the minimun standard of every other comparable nation. Now we just need that 300+ hp engine that'll run on beet juice!
Old 5/9/07, 04:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I think cars are going to need to get smaller. It will help with weight. My '65 is TINY compared to my dad's '06 GT. and it weighs 1,000lbs less.
Old 5/9/07, 04:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RomaTX
MPG ratings apply to gasoline powered engines not nessisarly diesel or alternatively powered engines. And while it is completely reasonable to ask the big three to meet european standards, i think the best way to go here is to start developing alternative fuel vehicles that can make real power. My vote is for biodiesel. Cause E85 is a joke. you know what the 85 stands for? it means that 85% of the fuel is stil GASOLINE! but if someone were to work on making a biodesal engine that could really put some power out, i'd buy it no problem. And you know what the best part about biodiesal is? you can make it in your back yard with some old 55 gal drums and a little patience. So good for us that we are finally meeting the minimun standard of every other comparable nation. Now we just need that 300+ hp engine that'll run on beet juice!
I dislike E85 myself...horrible idea in fact. Of course 100 percent ethanol is another story and, IMO, is by far the most viable future fuel we have.
Old 5/9/07, 05:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1985 Mustang to 2005+ Mustang = over 20 years of complacency.
Something should have and hopefully has been done to remedy this
before 2020. Why not spend some of the money on increasing
gasoline engines performance, emissions, "carbon footprint", weight
etc instead of these "alternative" fuels and power sources.

I think they knew it was coming because they got a head start this year
by "recalculating" the MPG on all new cars for 2007...and dropping them
down 3-5 mpg just so they had that edge to boost them back up.
Old 5/9/07, 05:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Good one
Old 5/9/07, 05:39 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
The Edge is about 500 lbs heavier than a Mustang, so better MPG for the 3.5 in a lighter vehicle seems possible.
Make that closer to 1,000 lbs heavier than the Mustang plus its a lot higher and wider adding wind resistance.
Old 5/9/07, 05:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Im sure by 2020 Toyotas ford devision will be up to gov standards...And if not,they could always go back to making foxbodies :-)

Quick Reply: I don't think the next Mustang will be anything like what people hope it will be.