Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

the good old argument about oil change

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/14, 01:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38

Since you keep repeating yourself, I'd say you seem to not understand the rating system of oils. Ford spec'd the 5W-50 for the TP and Boss cars because it is expected that the owners will spend time on the track with these cars, necessitating oil that will not break down at hire heats, keeping oil pressure and lubrication at the levels they need to be at these higher temps. 95% of other Mustangs on the road are not driven in this manner. 5W-20 is fine for daily driving and quick spirited jaunts up to freeway speeds.

Exactly. If you are not racing around in your Boss or TP car, only red-lining it once a day on a spirited take-off, there's no need to waste money on more expensive 5W-50. If you are planning to use that car on the track, use the oil that Ford recommends due to it not breaking down (losing its viscosity) at higher temperatures that the engine will experience by spending more time in the upper RPM ranges and moving side to side.

That is my understanding as to how the oil rating system works, and what logically makes sense to me as to why Ford would spec the different weights. Demographically, maybe Ford expects European versions of the same engines that are sold in the US, to spend more time at higher temps, say for instance on the Autobahn, so they spec'd an oil that essentially stays thicker, up to higher to those higher temps.

Is any of this incorrect, or does it not make sense?
You missing the point bro. If the tight spec engine can be properly lubricated with 5W 50 regardless whether someone is racing or not a 5W 30 weight will be just fine. That's my point. No need to use a 20 weight oil other than for the manufactures to keep with the Cafe regulations and not get hit with fines.

I would even venture too say , majority of Boss and trac pack GT owners do not actually track race there cars. Not talking about drag strip but actual track racing. People upgrade there suspension all day long and get state of the art breaking systems (brembo) and never once track the car.
Old 2/1/14, 01:55 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
You missing the point bro.

Just like every other oil thread you've camped out on.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/1/14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 2/1/14, 02:14 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Lol...
Old 2/1/14, 03:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Lol...
I can't believe I accidentally said "hire heats." My God. See what replying to him does to me?! In my defense, I started typing that reply at 6:15 when I woke up, and finished it when I got to work, so I was half asleep when I wrote that. Ugh.
Old 2/1/14, 03:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
You missing the point bro. If the tight spec engine can be properly lubricated with 5W 50 regardless whether someone is racing or not a 5W 30 weight will be just fine. That's my point. No need to use a 20 weight oil other than for the manufactures to keep with the Cafe regulations and not get hit with fines. I would even venture too say , majority of Boss and trac pack GT owners do not actually track race there cars. Not talking about drag strip but actual track racing. People upgrade there suspension all day long and get state of the art breaking systems (brembo) and never once track the car.
That's not the point the OP was trying to convey or asking. That was the point *you* were trying to convey. No one said running 5W-30 would hurt your engine. What people *did* say is that you don't need to. It's not providing any extra protection, because unless you live in Death Valley and constantly drive at 5000 RPM everywhere you go, the current crop of engines won't be experiencing temperatures that will break down a 5W-20 oil. It can't even be argued that 5W-20 is harder to find. It *used* to be when manufactures first started using it, but now everyone uses it, from Kia Rios to Mustang GTs. I think I've even seen 0W-20 in some of the newer econoboxes.

IIRC, the OP lives in LA. I can't remember if 5W-30 is anymore expensive than 5W-20, but if it is, there's no way in hell I'd be shelling out more money for a slightly thicker oil, for my car to be idling along in traffic most its life. And unless he's taking daily high speed runs up and down Mulholland or Death Valley, it's just not necessary to run anything else other than what came in the car. Along the same lines, if I owned a TP GT or Boss, and were not doing those aforementioned activities either, I'd be running 5W-20 or 30 to save money versus 5W-50 (which is also harder to find).

Last edited by laserred38; 2/1/14 at 04:23 PM.
Old 2/1/14, 04:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Oil threads are great bro.
Old 2/1/14, 04:25 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Everything that can be said has been said

There hasn't been a new piece of information since the screenshot quote and that's questionable anyway.

Closing thread as it's going nowhere

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 2/1/14 at 06:34 PM.