Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

the good old argument about oil change

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/14, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by yugoboss
These oil threads should be banned immediately. Buy a quality oil change it regularly, and put in the grade the manufacturer recommends.
Why when they are informative? That is by definition what a forum is supposed to be used for. With the technology in oils these days it's not as black and white as you think. Especially when someone is new to cars and looking for reliable info to digest.

If that's your rule of thumb, happy driving.
Old 1/29/14, 06:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline

It's not better. It's for a different application. I met a 67 yr old women that bought a 13 gt because her recently deceased husband had always wanted one. Do you think she drives hard. I doubt it. It was a auto too so probably NEVER saw the redline. Yet I buy a 13 gt manual and track it monthly. Vs a tp or boss owner are manual only and geared for someone who will beat on it.

What they are saying is that 20 is good for the diverse group that will buy a gt. 50 is for driving hard. I run 30 because I don't want to hesitate mashing it if I feel like I've done it too much recently and the 20 might not handle it. I'm more confident running 30.
I do feel more confident in running 5W 30 in my vehicles but interesting how Ford has two different weight oil recomendations for the same car with the same engine. The only difference being the handling package. So in essence, if one buys a 5.0 with trac pac and does not track race it, one shoukd then use 5W20 weight oil.
Old 1/29/14, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tp gt and regular gt have identical motors down to every part number (except for the radiator and oil cooler etc). Yet they call for different oils.
What is different about the radiator? The oil cooler is fed by the lower radiator hose. I might pick up that Motorsport kit. Well worth the 130 bucks for the radiator hoses, cooler lines and cooler IMO.
Does the Track Pack have a better radiator too?
Old 1/29/14, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 88lx50
What is different about the radiator? The oil cooler is fed by the lower radiator hose. I might pick up that Motorsport kit. Well worth the 130 bucks for the radiator hoses, cooler lines and cooler IMO.
Does the Track Pack have a better radiator too?
The TP has a Boss 302 radiator. It's larger capacity for better cooling in track applications.
Old 1/29/14, 09:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I do feel more confident in running 5W 30 in my vehicles but interesting how Ford has two different weight oil recomendations for the same car with the same engine. The only difference being the handling package. So in essence, if one buys a 5.0 with trac pac and does not track race it, one shoukd then use 5W20 weight oil.
That's a good reverse way to look at it yeah.

Companies are looking for anyway they can to get an edge. Right now in auto it's mpgs that have the spot light. So as an engineer, they might hypothesize 5-20 will give slightly better mpg. They test it and it does. They then test it under stress. It passes. Great. So they found a reliable way to save fuel. (all hypothetical).

Now why not do the same for the boss and tp? Well bc under high closed road stress maybe the engineers determined that 5-20 wasn't good enough. Maybe they found the motor over heated. So they threw in 5-50 to fix it.

The motor tolerances tight or not can clearly handle both just fine. Again 5-30 is a middle ground that allows me to run a lighter weight while still maintaining good heat resistance and lube.

Last edited by typesredline; 1/29/14 at 09:30 PM.
Old 1/29/14, 09:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
The TP has a Boss 302 radiator. It's larger capacity for better cooling in track applications.
This.

Keep in mind that the unique items on the tp (radiator, oil cooler and finned dif cover. I'm not including brembo and 373's bc you can get those a la cart on a regular gt) are for cooling and unless under extreme conditions, I mean hard driving all day at the track, will make no measurable impact vs the standard gt.
Old 1/29/14, 09:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's a good reverse way to look at it yeah.

Companies are looking for anyway they can to get an edge. Right now in auto it's mpgs that have the spot light. So as an engineer, they might hypothesize 5-20 will give slightly better mpg. They test it and it does. They then test in under stress. It passes. Great. So they found a reliable way to save fuel. (all speculation).

No why not do the same for the boss and tp? Well bc under high closed road stress maybe the engineers determined that 5-20 wasn't good enough. Maybe they found the motor over heated. So they threw in 5-50 to fix it.

The motor tolerances tight or not can clearly handle both just fine. Again 5-30 is a middle ground that allows me to run a lighter weight while still maintaining good heat resistance and lube.
A buddy of mine who was a mechanic and still wrenches on his own performance car told me there really is very little difference in thickness between a 20 weight and 30 weight. Its so small that even a 30 weight looks watery too me. Lol. I cant imagine that a 30 weight couldn't get into all the parts of a modern day engine. Its still so thin the 30 weight. Lol.

Besides while I don't track race my stang I do run her highly spirited and like you feel 5W 30 is the perfect blend.
Old 1/29/14, 09:47 PM
Cobra Member

A buddy of mine who was a mechanic and still wrenches on his own performance car told me there really is very little difference in thickness between a 20 weight and 30 weight. Its so small that even a 30 weight looks watery too me. Lol. I cant imagine that a 30 weight couldn't get into all the parts of a modern day engine. Its still so thin the 30 weight. Lol. Besides while I don't track race my stang I do run her highly spirited and like you feel 5W 30 is the perfect blend.
You are thinking way to hard into the oil missing a little part or something. It's not an English Muffin lol. But yes 30 is mostly better for its wider rage of heat and sheer resistance not because it's much thicker. Keep in mind some people (not in mustangs necessarily) run straight w30. As opposed to being 5 or 10 weight when cold it's still 30. So it's really not that much thicker at all.

Part of the reason I don't understand what the big argument is over. The anti anything against what ford says crowd is so ridiculous. They stand behind an owners manual and can't see past their own nose at logic and reason. Guess what. You could run 5-50 and per THEIR argument, your motor will be fine. Why? Because ford says it will. Again same logic behind why they like 5-20. Why they are so offended when anyone says that 5-30 might be a good compromise.

Last edited by typesredline; 1/29/14 at 09:49 PM.
Old 1/29/14, 09:47 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
A buddy of mine who was a mechanic and still wrenches on his own performance car told me there really is very little difference in thickness between a 20 weight and 30 weight. Its so small that even a 30 weight looks watery too me. Lol. I cant imagine that a 30 weight couldn't get into all the parts of a modern day engine. Its still so thin the 30 weight. Lol. Besides while I don't track race my stang I do run her highly spirited and like you feel 5W 30 is the perfect blend.

Seriously!!!

"A buddy of mine who was a mechanic and still wrenches...told me"

I'm sorry I've held my tongue this whole thread but this literally made me laugh out loud. With all due respect (free pass to say anything I want), do you hear yourself?

I really mean no disrespect. You're a good member here and we've had banter on the threads so don't take it personally.

But this is what happens in oil threads. As for me I'll put the oil in Ford says. Unless I decide not to. Either way it's a free country but I will never ever ever claim to know more than the engineers and good people who bully the **** car because I know a guy that used to be a mechanic.

And for the record I am currently using an oil in once of my cars not specified by Ford for my own reasons so I do what I please for my own reasons and would never preach to someone to do what I do.

End rant

Old 1/29/14, 09:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Seriously!!! "A buddy of mine who was a mechanic and still wrenches...told me" I'm sorry I've held my tongue this whole thread but this literally made me laugh out loud. With all due respect (free pass to say anything I want), do you hear yourself? I really mean no disrespect. You're a good member here and we've had banter on the threads so don't take it personally. But this is what happens in oil threads. As for me I'll put the oil in Ford says. Unless I decide not to. Either way it's a free country but I will never ever ever claim to know more than the engineers and good people who bully the **** car because I know a guy that used to be a mechanic. And for the record I am currently using an oil in once of my cars not specified by Ford for my own reasons so I do what I please for my own reasons and would never preach to someone to do what I do. End rant
To be fair kind sir. He never said he knew more than a ford engineer. He also never said his mechanic (definitely NOT an engineer, very different skill sets) recommended or told him it was ok to use 5-30. So it's not like he said "my mechanic said it's ok."

He simply said his mechanic told him the physical thickness between the two was very little. Now that fact IS in a mechanics wheel house. So I see nothing wrong with the post.

Last edited by typesredline; 1/29/14 at 09:57 PM.
Old 1/29/14, 10:07 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Hey no problem

Nobody's holding a gun to anyone's head saying use 5-30 or die

I'm just pointing out one fallacy

My 6 year old could tell you there isn't much difference between 5-20 and 5-30 if you poured them in cups and asked her. And it's oil. If you've ever pulled an engine, broke it down, and let it set in the stand a while you'll see the oil coming out of all the nooks and crannies of the engine for weeks if have the time.

But I know enough about motor oil to know I know nothing. And what I do I do at my own risk. The best I can do is follow the manufacturers recommendations. I do change my all my own oil because at least then I know exactly what and how much i put in it and don't have to worry about if an underpaid first year mechanic at the quick lane at the ford dealer even cared to read the dang oil cap for the proper oil or knows it takes 8.5 quarts because of the oil cooler that other cars like this don't have.
Old 1/29/14, 11:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Why when they are informative? That is by definition what a forum is supposed to be used for. With the technology in oils these days it's not as black and white as you think. Especially when someone is new to cars and looking for reliable info to digest. If that's your rule of thumb, happy driving.
Because there's 50 threads almost identical to this already. It's like asking about MT-82 problems or what cat back to buy for a GT. Search and add to existing threads.
Old 1/29/14, 11:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Seriously!!!

"A buddy of mine who was a mechanic and still wrenches...told me"

I'm sorry I've held my tongue this whole thread but this literally made me laugh out loud. With all due respect (free pass to say anything I want), do you hear yourself?

I really mean no disrespect. You're a good member here and we've had banter on the threads so don't take it personally.

But this is what happens in oil threads. As for me I'll put the oil in Ford says. Unless I decide not to. Either way it's a free country but I will never ever ever claim to know more than the engineers and good people who bully the **** car because I know a guy that used to be a mechanic.

And for the record I am currently using an oil in once of my cars not specified by Ford for my own reasons so I do what I please for my own reasons and would never preach to someone to do what I do.

End rant

Lol. Well, I didn't mean the story like that. It was in the past he and I would be having casual conversation about car smack. In the process we would talk about oil weights and just made comments about not being a big difference in thickness between the two.

By all means, feel free too use what every weight oil you like. That still doesn't answer the question why Ford recommends 5W 20 weight in car A and same breath Ford recommends 5W50 in car B. Of course car A and B are both the same cars with identical spec engines yet different oil weights. If a Gt can run safely on 5W 50 oil according to Ford and safely on same vehicle running 5W 20 then what's wrong with a 30 weight?
Old 1/29/14, 11:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

To be fair kind sir. He never said he knew more than a ford engineer. He also never said his mechanic (definitely NOT an engineer, very different skill sets) recommended or told him it was ok to use 5-30. So it's not like he said "my mechanic said it's ok."

He simply said his mechanic told him the physical thickness between the two was very little. Now that fact IS in a mechanics wheel house. So I see nothing wrong with the post.
Actually, my mechanic friend told me it really didn't matter whether one uses a 20 weight oil or 30 weight oil. His point was both weights were so close together in thickness it just really didn't matter. Either weight was good too go. what you just said that I first stated. Lol
Old 1/30/14, 04:25 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Seriously!!! "A buddy of mine who was a mechanic and still wrenches...told me" I'm sorry I've held my tongue this whole thread but this literally made me laugh out loud. With all due respect (free pass to say anything I want), do you hear yourself? I really mean no disrespect. You're a good member here and we've had banter on the threads so don't take it personally. But this is what happens in oil threads. As for me I'll put the oil in Ford says. Unless I decide not to. Either way it's a free country but I will never ever ever claim to know more than the engineers and good people who bully the **** car because I know a guy that used to be a mechanic. And for the record I am currently using an oil in once of my cars not specified by Ford for my own reasons so I do what I please for my own reasons and would never preach to someone to do what I do. End rant
Amen.

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Because there's 50 threads almost identical to this already. It's like asking about MT-82 problems or what cat back to buy for a GT. Search and add to existing threads.
This is what I meant with my earlier comments. Useless when there's already so many identical. Kyle aren't there more like 100?
Old 1/30/14, 04:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thread count is important to a site; they use it to gain advertisement dollars which keeps the site running. Advertisers see this as a site with popularity.

So if those who are concerned that another "same topic" thread pops up, don't worry. No harm. Simply move on to what interests you. Interesting that members continue to read new posts on a thread that bothers them.

For me, I've learned some things I did not know, so that has made this thread informative.

6 pages now. Other than the troll posts, it has provided some interesting discussion. Thanks to those that have provided to an old topic.

Last edited by Bucko; 1/30/14 at 05:04 AM.
Old 1/30/14, 05:26 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm 50% for staying with 5W20 and 50% wanting to change to 5W30. Keep giving opinions on why 5W30 would be better
Old 1/30/14, 07:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I was gonna go with Vegetable oil, but then I read that Canola has higher burning point. Higher burning point = better protection
I use it because it keeps my car's cholesterol under control.
Old 1/30/14, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I use it because it keeps my car's cholesterol under control.
LOL - they managed to maintain all the flavor while making it lighter.
Old 1/30/14, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
Thread count is important to a site; they use it to gain advertisement dollars which keeps the site running. Advertisers see this as a site with popularity. So if those who are concerned that another "same topic" thread pops up, don't worry. No harm. Simply move on to what interests you. Interesting that members continue to read new posts on a thread that bothers them. For me, I've learned some things I did not know, so that has made this thread informative. 6 pages now. Other than the troll posts, it has provided some interesting discussion. Thanks to those that have provided to an old topic.
So true. Don't like it, skip it...lol

Quick Reply: the good old argument about oil change