Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lakersfreak
doing what?
Using 5W30?
Old 1/27/14, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
Um...this is beating a dead horse if you are one of the guys that is like "Ford says to so that means it's the best." Because there is no hope to educate you.
Um, I was was asking the original poster for his rationale?

But if you are seriously asking, 5-20 is recommended by ford bc it gives slightly better fuel economy than 5-30 would. They need these 1's and 2's here and there to booster their CAFE average.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it is the best for the car. Keep in mind that ford makes money on repairs out of warranty. So if you think they have your best interests in making your motor last you're nuts.

Bottom line is that 5-20 is too thin. Especially if you drive it even remotely hard.
I am well aware of the myriad of sources, tests, reports, theories, opinions, facts, myths, etc., etc.

For the original poster, it wasn't clear what his use scenario was, so providing any opinions or recommendation would be done without enough context.
Old 1/27/14, 06:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
5W 30 all the way.
Old 1/27/14, 07:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Must. Not. Jump. Into. Another. Oil. Thread.

If all these posters didn't seem so honest, I'd think we had all sorts of trolls doing this for fun. Instead, I'm going to chalk it up to people not using the Search function, so I'll summarize it:

Use the oil life monitor and you'll be fine, in terms of distance between oil changes. It's calibrated for semi-synthetic oil that generally lasts 7,500 to 10,000 miles. So, if you use full synthetic, you're good for at least that range or more. I've had my oil analyzed by Blackstone and it had plenty of life at 7,500 miles.

As far as filters, use a high-quality filter like Motorcraft, K&N, Napa Gold, Purolator PureOne, or Mobil 1 and you'll be fine.

And as far as weight, Ford's not in the business of making motors that expire just past the powertrain warranty period. 5W-20 has been spec oil in Mazdas, Fords, Hondas, Chryslers and more for 10+ years so there's no issue using it. 5W-30 is probably fine too, if you're still not sure.
Old 1/27/14, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Um...this is beating a dead horse if you are one of the guys that is like "Ford says to so that means it's the best." Because there is no hope to educate you.

But if you are seriously asking, 5-20 is recommended by ford bc it gives slightly better fuel economy than 5-30 would. They need these 1's and 2's here and there to booster their CAFE average.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it is the best for the car. Keep in mind that ford makes money on repairs out of warranty. So if you think they have your best interests in making your motor last you're nuts.

Bottom line is that 5-20 is too thin. Especially if you drive it even remotely hard.

May I just say how much I admire a person who reads some stuff on the internet and suddenly believes they are the expert on the subject.

I've had my oil tested by Blackstone. With 9,878 miles on the oil Blackstone told me it was good for another 4,000 miles at least, and that the oil indicated BELOW AVERAGE engine wear. I don't suppose you've actually had your oil tested by a proper lab before, have you?

Last edited by Moustang; 1/27/14 at 07:15 PM.
Old 1/27/14, 07:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Must. Not. Jump. Into. Another. Oil. Thread.

If all these posters didn't seem so honest, I'd think we had all sorts of trolls doing this for fun. Instead, I'm going to chalk it up to people not using the Search function, so I'll summarize it:

Use the oil life monitor and you'll be fine, in terms of distance between oil changes. It's calibrated for semi-synthetic oil that generally lasts 7,500 to 10,000 miles. So, if you use full synthetic, you're good for at least that range or more. I've had my oil analyzed by Blackstone and it had plenty of life at 7,500 miles.

As far as filters, use a high-quality filter like Motorcraft, K&N, Napa Gold, Purolator PureOne, or Mobil 1 and you'll be fine.

And as far as weight, Ford's not in the business of making motors that expire just past the powertrain warranty period. 5W-20 has been spec oil in Mazdas, Fords, Hondas, Chryslers and more for 10+ years so there's no issue using it. 5W-30 is probably fine too, if you're still not sure.
5W 30 will do perfect and in fact that is what the same Ford vehicles in Europe as we have here in US use 5W30 not 5W 20. The 5w20 is for emissions and CAFE regulations here in the US and not whats the better protection for ones engine. Sure, 5W 20 is not going to blow your engine up, however ones engine wear will be greatly reduced after years and years by not using 5W30 weight thus engine life will be greatly reduced.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/27/14 at 07:24 PM.
Old 1/27/14, 07:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
What the heck are you guys spouting off about in here? I put 2 drops of maple syrup in the engine after 4,000 miles so that the oil does sheer to much and it thickens up a bit. Then after 5,000 or right before I am ready for an oil change I throw a little bit of Dawn in there to make sure when I change my oil my engine is squeeky clean ... I swear my valvetrain sparkles when I shine a light through the oil fill neck .... It's like magic

Old 1/27/14, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by ford20
What the heck are you guys spouting off about in here? I put 2 drops of maple syrup in the engine after 4,000 miles so that the oil does sheer to much and it thickens up a bit. Then after 5,000 or right before I am ready for an oil change I throw a little bit of Dawn in there to make sure when I change my oil my engine is squeeky clean ... I swear my valvetrain sparkles when I shine a light through the oil fill neck .... It's like magic
JK bro. Ba ha ha ha

Name:  dDUx2XjBHv6j2LwRpGJfs29w4su-NsfTx2ld2lmDG6Y.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  23.1 KB
Old 1/27/14, 08:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
JK bro. Ba ha ha ha

Attachment 152054
Hahaha it's all good, I am sure we have all heard of the guy who ran water through his engine to clean it out and similar stories. Seems like the oil topic gets quite heated ... Kind of like which girl is hotter talks.
Old 1/27/14, 08:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by ford20

Hahaha it's all good, I am sure we have all heard of the guy who ran water through his engine to clean it out and similar stories. Seems like the oil topic gets quite heated ... Kind of like which girl is hotter talks.
Yeah. So true but its all good. Lol. I say if you want to pay too change your oil every 1,000 miles go for it.
Old 1/27/14, 11:18 PM
Post *****

Yet another hack spouting "bob" bull****. If that is true, and Ford risks all engine longevity for normal drivers for a measly 1 or 2 mpg's, then why didn't they also change from 5w30 to 5w20 on the 4.0 sixer? Lord knows they needed to up the mileage on that engine.

I've asked the same question as to why Chrysler didn't change from 5w-30 to 5w-20 on its 2.4L if it worked for Ford, if in fact they could simply do that for a CAFE average improvement. Lord knows they needed to up the mileage on that engine.

But never a knowledgeable response. Never a peep out of an engineer. Never a comment about hydraulic action in a variable OHC engine. Only internet bull crap. You clowns are so boring.

Use what you like because that's what you like, or because your "gut" informs you so much about the internals of a modern engine, but you can stuff your "Ford did it for CAFE".

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/27/14 at 11:21 PM.
Old 1/27/14, 11:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Yet another hack spouting "bob" bull****. If that is true, and Ford risks all engine longevity for normal drivers for a measly 1 or 2 mpg's, then why didn't they also change from 5w30 to 5w20 on the 4.0 sixer? Lord knows they needed to up the mileage on that engine.

I've asked the same question as to why Chrysler didn't change from 5w-30 to 5w-20 on its 2.4L if it worked for Ford, if in fact they could simply do that for a CAFE average improvement. Lord knows they needed to up the mileage on that engine.

But never a knowledgeable response. Never a peep out of an engineer. Never a comment about hydraulic action in a variable OHC engine. Only internet bull crap. You clowns are so boring.

Use what you like because that's what you like, or because your "gut" informs you so much about the internals of a modern engine, but you can stuff your "Ford did it for CAFE".
Why do Ford vehicles in Europe have recommended 5W 30 yet the same Ford vehicle or engine in the US recommends 5W 20? Clearly if Ford is using 5W 30 in their engines over in Europe its certainly safe to use in the same engine in the US.
Just wondering. How can 5w30 be bad for our engines if the same engines in Europe are using 5W 30 motor oil?.
Old 1/28/14, 05:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read through this post and simply shook my head. A year ago, I posted that I used 5-30 full synthetic, and got my head tore off by a member here (texasboneking) who claimed it would damage the variable valve timing in my 3.7 V6 over time. I asked for proof, which I never got. That thread, plus another I started got closed, and I was warned to never start another on this subject of viscosity useage.

Since then, folks have posted on the fact that 0w-20 is not available in England, and that 5w-30 is used and recommended by Ford. I remained silent. I continue to run the extended full synthetic 5w-30 to the 10K to 15K mark, and currently have 58K trouble free miles on the 2011 Mustang. Like my 2005 F150 (which has over 257K miles using the same oil and change interval), I don't follow the silly myths that get spread across the internet.

My say: if you pay the premium prices for extended synthetics and dump them before their advertised length of service, then your simply wasting your money. Semi-synthetics in our Mustangs can go up to 10K; the engineers added an extra quart of oil holding capacity in the 3.7 and 5.0 for this reason. Use the semi-synthetics if your one to dump oil at 7500 miles and save the coin. The engineers are trying to help you.

But it's your money.

Last edited by Bucko; 1/28/14 at 05:38 AM.
Old 1/28/14, 06:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
I read through this post and simply shook my head. A year ago, I posted that I used 5-30 full synthetic, and got my head tore off by a member here (texasboneking) who claimed it would damage the variable valve timing in my 3.7 V6 over time. I asked for proof, which I never got. That thread, plus another I started got closed, and I was warned to never start another on this subject of viscosity useage.

Since then, folks have posted on the fact that 0w-20 is not available in England, and that 5w-30 is used and recommended by Ford. I remained silent. I continue to run the extended full synthetic 5w-30 to the 10K to 15K mark, and currently have 58K trouble free miles on the 2011 Mustang. Like my 2005 F150 (which has over 257K miles using the same oil and change interval), I don't follow the silly myths that get spread across the internet.

My say: if you pay the premium prices for extended synthetics and dump them before their advertised length of service, then your simply wasting your money. Semi-synthetics in our Mustangs can go up to 10K; the engineers added an extra quart of oil holding capacity in the 3.7 and 5.0 for this reason. Use the semi-synthetics if your one to dump oil at 7500 miles and save the coin. The engineers are trying to help you.

But it's your money.
My wife and I own a 2005 Mazda MPV van and always use 5W 30 motor oil. The van has 118,000 miles and runs perfect. knock on wood. Lol
Old 1/28/14, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Why do Ford vehicles in Europe have recommended 5W 30 yet the same Ford vehicle or engine in the US recommends 5W 20? Clearly if Ford is using 5W 30 in their engines over in Europe its certainly safe to use in the same engine in the US. Just wondering. How can 5w30 be bad for our engines if the same engines in Europe are using 5W 30 motor oil?.
That's changing too: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/2565609/1
Old 1/28/14, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
I'm so confused. So should I go with 30 or 20????????????
Old 1/28/14, 09:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Why are you doing that?
For me its because Ford changed their story once (at least) about which is better. Does that mean they are wrong about these engines? I don't know but since I can't trust Ford and I suspect that 5w30 is better, that's what I use.

Around the turn of the century, Ford had the mileage tests done for one model of car with 5w20 because it gave better mileage. They were going to ship the cars with 5w20 but the owners manual was going to say 5W30 was recommended. The feds said they can't do that without using 5w30 for the tests, so the manual ended up saying 5w20 was the spec oil.
Old 1/28/14, 10:30 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Just my opinion but why waste money changing more frequently than Ford recommended? Ford warranties the engine not the oil companies. So why accept the recommendation of someone trying to sell you more of their products over the manufacturer of your car?

But your car, your money
Old 1/28/14, 10:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by lakersfreak

I'm so confused. So should I go with 30 or 20????????????
No way I'm using 5w 20. 5W 30 all the way. Its not going too hurt anything so what's the downside to using 5W 30. What's going to happen to the engine?
Old 1/28/14, 11:27 AM
Post *****

Big ol fat women still chewin the fat about nothin. Just gossip. Then they start over at the beginning and chew it all over again. And a few of them will camp out on this thread for days - just like the last oil thread.
Bet not one of the gossip gang even knows how to use a wrench...

Quick Reply: the good old argument about oil change