Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

the good old argument about oil change

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/14, 09:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
I won't call you crazy. But everything you said is completely inaccurate. 5000 miles in between changes is WAY to soon if you are using any good quality synthetic oil. Also I am fully aware of the technology you speak of. Ti-Vtc uses oil pressure to activate certain things on the rockers. Oil pressure can vary with different weights. But that's were your concept takes a left. Because the coyote can run flawlessly on 20 weight or 50 weight PER ford. Therefore they have done whatever adjustments necessary to allow for this option.

I think reading the thread will do you some good. That 40 yrs experience is not going to help you with 2013 tech. Ford stamped 5-20 on the cap of the mainstream gt for better fuel and emissions. It saved them millions. But 5-30 is a better choice for motor protection.

Your on top of most of it, But the reason you need to run 5W-50 if that is what your engine calls for is because when the engine is at it running temp, it depends on the required oil weight to deal with normal operating temperature tolerances. That's where the end of your statement is false, sure it will run on 20 weight but the tolerances are in correct. Not only do cam phasers, and timing actuators rely on the correct weight oil but so do the camshafts themselves as there are no bearings for the camshafts, they ride directly in the head. So in the end if you run incorrect oil in your engine it will cause premature wear plain and simple.
Old 1/31/14, 09:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wentw1tj
To start with the 11-12 5.0 is not the same as the 13-14 5.0. Unless the people in this debate are engineers for Ford and designed the 5.0L, we really should not think we know more than them. Everyone can run whatever oil they want but when your engine has an issue don't blame Ford.
Wow, you're right the pistons have a different coating on them and the squirters are gone. I think 40 yrs of white lithium is blocking your eyes. Read. Did you see where the ford engineers still recommend 5-30 but said that 5-20 was adopted for economy? Probably not because you are stuck in 1970.
Old 1/31/14, 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

An OIL Life monitor is put in for people who have not a clue on maintenance, they should not be used as they do not measure the oil viscosity.
So in other words, they are put there for you?

It most likely set for 5-20 and then uses an algorithm based on hot and cold cycles, stop and go, load, etc. if you're so adamant about using what's on the cap, then you should have no problem following the monitor.

Hey it's been 5 minutes, you should probably go change your oil again....

Last edited by typesredline; 1/31/14 at 09:47 PM.
Old 1/31/14, 09:44 PM
GT Member

Wow, you're right the pistons have a different coating on them and the squirters are gone. I think 40 yrs of white lithium is blocking your eyes. Read. Did you see where the ford engineers still recommend 5-30 but said that 5-20 was adopted for economy? Probably not because you are stuck in 1970.

I call BS on that can you please reference your findings.
Old 1/31/14, 09:49 PM
Cobra Member

I call BS on that can you please reference your findings.
For the third time, if you read this very informative thread, this very one that you are blasting your 40 yr old oil maintenance platitudes on, you would find your reference.
Old 1/31/14, 10:02 PM
Cobra Member

Your on top of most of it, But the reason you need to run 5W-50 if that is what your engine calls for is because when the engine is at it running temp, it depends on the required oil weight to deal with normal operating temperature tolerances. That's where the end of your statement is false, sure it will run on 20 weight but the tolerances are in correct. Not only do cam phasers, and timing actuators rely on the correct weight oil but so do the camshafts themselves as there are no bearings for the camshafts, they ride directly in the head. So in the end if you run incorrect oil in your engine it will cause premature wear plain and simple.
I am very curious to know what you are smoking. Do you know how the coyote works!? I'm starting to wonder if you know how any motor works. You sound like some old guy that might now old motors from the 80's. But when it comes to current tech, ovh cams, rollers, magnetic cam locks, vtc, etc you sound like my mom explaining what the mechanic at the dealer told her. Cams are typically in the head these days and I'm not sure what you're talking about with not having bearings....they are cams not rods. Do me a favor and stop trying to sound like you know what you're talking about. You are failing terribly at it.

Not to mention that your motor has no idea what viscosity the oil is. The tech rely on oil pressure plain and simple. Oil pressure is primarily controlled by the amount of oil which is why running low or high can lead to improper activation of vtc for example.

But what I think you still are not understanding is that the ONLY difference between the tp gt motor and the regular gt motor is the oil cap. I don't have to be a ford engineer to know that. It's a know fact. Common knowledge. So clearly if the tolerances or timing was so intimately dependent on oil "viscosity" (pressure), and that was geared for 20 weight, things would break when FORD takes the SAME motor and factory fill it with 50 weight.

Last edited by typesredline; 1/31/14 at 10:10 PM.
Old 1/31/14, 10:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To start with the 11-12 5.0 is not the same as the 13-14 5.0. Unless the people in this debate are engineers for Ford and designed the 5.0L, we really should not think we know more than them. Everyone can run whatever oil they want but when your engine has an issue don't blame Ford.
Bro, this is not rocket science. How can a 2014 5.0 have a recommendation of 5W 20 weight oil and another 2014 5.0 have recommended 5W 50 weight oil. Both have the same 302 engine, same engine design and specs but one has some upgraded suspension parts. Please stop dancing around this question. Clearly if I can put 5W 20 and 5W 50 in the car, then 5W 30 should be perfectly fine.

With your 40 years of logic , If I buy a 5.0 Gt with trac pack and the oil cap reads 5W 50 weight what oil should I use? Now please keep in mind I won't track race my car and my brother has a regular 5.0 and his cap reads 5W 20. So what weight oil do I use for my car?
Old 2/1/14, 01:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Barring some snarky posts (even one directed at me), I've found the discussion in this oil thread to be interesting.

To the OP, which oil is "better", in my car enthusiast opinion, depends on your use case and how much you conclude, based on a multitude of engineering data, anecdotal experience, oil testing results, opinions from various people, etc., that you trust the the factory fill recommendation.

I see people talk about finding what's "better" or what's "best" (best oil, best modification, best tires, best whatever), and I've often found the answer to that is "it depends". And even when I am wearing Depends, I still will conclude "it depends" on you.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is PCM calibration differences in relation to the current 5.0L engines and the cam phasing. I do think somewhere on this forum that had been another point of discussion.

Also, according to technical specs posted for the 5.0L engine in the 2015 GT, it again is 5w-20, 8 qts, for a 10,000 mile service interval. That might be different for the performance pack, but I haven't seen the specs.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 2/1/14 at 01:48 AM.
Old 2/1/14, 02:44 AM
V6 Member

My opinion of viscosity weight is this, if you track or dog the hell out of your car on a regular basis then I can see the need for a heavier oil than 5/20. But otherwise, just stick to the recommended oil weight, the engineers know how well the film strength of lighter oils hold up better than we do. And doesn't Ford put 5/50 in the Boss 302 because it's setup or more anticipated for track use than a regular GT model? I think that all it is. I'm no oil expert but I've seen enough UOA's to inform me that for regular driving with some spirited driving, and a few WOT runs, 5/20 doesn't show anymore wear on engine internals compared to heavier oils.

For that reason, and especially for keeping my warrantee safe for now, I'm using a good synthetic 5/20 (using Pennzoil Ultra right now) for the life of my car.

Last edited by SMBJoshy; 2/1/14 at 02:46 AM.
Old 2/1/14, 06:33 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Z, usually you and I see eye to eye. But I don't understand why you are so anti oil threads? Who cares and how does it hurt you. There are tons of threads I have no interest in or ones that I feel are redundant. Do you know what I do? I scroll past them. Because despite what you may think, there is good info here that is not regurgitated.
Types.... You're right. There is some good info on this thread, but I guess I've been around (and alive) long enough to know that now if someone tries to search for this topic and find an answer to his question, he has to read through so much jargon, it would get annoying (I know I would). So I guess what I'm saying is, these types of threads go downhill, fast. People who are truly searching for an answer can find it by searching through one less thread (this).

Lastly, there are just some people, who have been so vocal on this thread that just talk out of their you know what. On top of that, they just don't sound educated. I can't even get past their first sentences, it's pathetic.

You, types, I respect. And your posts on this thread are one of the only ones I read. So yes, you are right, great info on this thread, I apologize. But you are one of the few eloquent ones smart enough to convey it.

Last edited by FromZto5; 2/1/14 at 06:34 AM.
Old 2/1/14, 06:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
has anyone changed their oil lately? Did you send a sample in for testing?
Old 2/1/14, 07:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SMBJoshy
My opinion of viscosity weight is this, if you track or dog the hell out of your car on a regular basis then I can see the need for a heavier oil than 5/20. But otherwise, just stick to the recommended oil weight, the engineers know how well the film strength of lighter oils hold up better than we do. And doesn't Ford put 5/50 in the Boss 302 because it's setup or more anticipated for track use than a regular GT model? I think that all it is. I'm no oil expert but I've seen enough UOA's to inform me that for regular driving with some spirited driving, and a few WOT runs, 5/20 doesn't show anymore wear on engine internals compared to heavier oils.

For that reason, and especially for keeping my warrantee safe for now, I'm using a good synthetic 5/20 (using Pennzoil Ultra right now) for the life of my car.
But what if I don't track race my Boss? If your saying 5W 50 is recommended because its anticipated for track use then what if I don't track my Boss. Do I still use 5W 50 or 5W 20? Based upon Fords 50 weight recommendations it shows that the mustangs engine can be properly lubricated with a much heavier oil therefore 30 weight oil will work wonderful. Which is it guys? You can't have it both ways. Either 20 weight is what's needed or thicker oil is great too. Its the same engine guys?

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/1/14 at 07:21 AM.
Old 2/1/14, 07:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
But what if I don't track race my Boss? If your saying 5W 50 is recommended because its anticipated for track use then what if I don't track my Boss. Do I still use 5W 50 or 5W 20? Based upon Fords 50 weight recommendations it shows that the mustangs engine can be properly lubricated with a much heavier oil therefore 30 weight oil will work wonderful. Which is it guys? You can't have it both ways. Either 20 weight is what's needed or thicker oil is great too. Its the same engine guys?
The Boss 302 engine is different than the 5.0 & 5.0 track pack. I figure Ford sold the Boss with the premise that people who bought it would track the car often enough to require 5W-50 and that most wouldn't use it as a DD. It's also forged and has a few extra components that the 5.0 /5.0 track pack doesn't have (maybe this is why?) Does that mean you can't use a different weight in the Boss if you don't track it, not sure but I wouldn't try it. The track pack 5.0 kinda goes under the same thought, Ford figures you will track the car if you spend the money to get the track pack but if you don't you just wasted money for one because you could have just got the Brembo pack with a lot of the suspension parts, wheels, brakes etc. The brembo pack cars require 5w-20. The track pack 5.0 has the Boss oil cooler and radiator but I don't see how that would require higher weight oil.
Old 2/1/14, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What the trolls don't get is that A) this is a FORUM which is used to learn regardless of how repetitive it is. If you're tired of the topic, there are THOUSANDS of other threads to visit. B) this is probably one of the best oil threads I've seen. Why? Because aside from the unproductive childish comments here and there, it houses a culmination of the best opinions, data, logic, analysis, and discussion as opposed to digging all around at dozens of threads that mostly consist of childish and unproductive people. Fortunately we have been able to keep most of that out. And hopefully a mod will swing in soon and see all the good info and put a stop to all the other OFF TOPIC bs.
Once again "trolls" are MYTHICAL cave dwellers. Why must you continue to acknowledge that trolls are real and lurk on the internet?

In 2 weeks there will be yet another oil thread and this debate will once again venture on and on with the same people acting like this is a life or death thread virtually shouting about how their choice of oil is far superior than the other. Guess what?
Attached Images  
Old 2/1/14, 07:52 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Thamac15
Once again "trolls" are MYTHICAL cave dwellers. Why must you continue to acknowledge that trolls are real and lurk on the internet? In 2 weeks there will be yet another oil thread and this debate will once again venture on and on with the same people acting like this is a life or death thread virtually shouting about how their choice of oil is far superior than the other. Guess what?
It's a cult
Old 2/1/14, 08:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1

The Boss 302 engine is different than the 5.0 & 5.0 track pack. I figure Ford sold the Boss with the premise that people who bought it would track the car often enough to require 5W-50 and that most wouldn't use it as a DD. It's also forged and has a few extra components that the 5.0 /5.0 track pack doesn't have (maybe this is why?) Does that mean you can't use a different weight in the Boss if you don't track it, not sure but I wouldn't try it. The track pack 5.0 kinda goes under the same thought, Ford figures you will track the car if you spend the money to get the track pack but if you don't you just wasted money for one because you could have just got the Brembo pack with a lot of the suspension parts, wheels, brakes etc. The brembo pack cars require 5w-20. The track pack 5.0 has the Boss oil cooler and radiator but I don't see how that would require higher weight oil.
But the 5.0 engines are the same whether I get the trac pack 5.0 or not. Its the same engine specs so if Ford says a 20 weight flows better to all the engine parts how can Ford also say a 50 weight will flow just as good on the identical engine they say use a 20 weight. Tracking car or not, its the same engine with the same tight specs. If Ford is recommending a thicker weight over 5W 20 because it provides more protection when tracking it, then a 30 weight will also provide better lubrication than the 20 weight. Regardless of track use or not clearly our engines can safely handle weights from 5W 20 - 5W 50 and in between weights.

While I don't track race my car, she gets driven like a hooker working the strip so I want a hair thicker oil protection and 5W 30 all the way.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/1/14 at 08:11 AM.
Old 2/1/14, 10:58 AM
V6 Member

i looked at my owners manual that came with my car and can't find a thing about using different oil weights. Your questions would be better directed to an engineer who had a hand in building the coyote 5.0. If in fact the Boss 302 is the same as the regular 5.0 in terms of internal tolerances, I don't see what would hurt it by using 5w-20 with non racing driving habits.
Old 2/1/14, 11:59 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
... HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it is the best for the car. Keep in mind that ford makes money on repairs out of warranty. So if you think they have your best interests in making your motor last you're nuts...
This is the statement on this thread that caught my attention. Someone seems to think Ford is purposely sabotaging longevity of the car in order to make money on repairs? Really?
Old 2/1/14, 12:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Trolling..................

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This guy had it right in post #48..

Last edited by TheReaper; 2/1/14 at 12:43 PM.
Old 2/1/14, 01:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
But the 5.0 engines are the same whether I get the trac pack 5.0 or not. Its the same engine specs so if Ford says a 20 weight flows better to all the engine parts how can Ford also say a 50 weight will flow just as good on the identical engine they say use a 20 weight. Tracking car or not, its the same engine with the same tight specs. If Ford is recommending a thicker weight over 5W 20 because it provides more protection when tracking it, then a 30 weight will also provide better lubrication than the 20 weight. Regardless of track use or not clearly our engines can safely handle weights from 5W 20 - 5W 50 and in between weights. While I don't track race my car, she gets driven like a hooker working the strip so I want a hair thicker oil protection and 5W 30 all the way.
Since you keep repeating yourself, I'd say you seem to not understand the rating system of oils. Ford spec'd the 5W-50 for the TP and Boss cars because it is expected that the owners will spend time on the track with these cars, necessitating oil that will not break down at higher heats, keeping oil pressure and lubrication at the levels they need to be at these higher temps. 95% of other Mustangs on the road are not driven in this manner. 5W-20 is fine for daily driving and quick spirited jaunts up to freeway speeds.
Originally Posted by SMBJoshy
i looked at my owners manual that came with my car and can't find a thing about using different oil weights. Your questions would be better directed to an engineer who had a hand in building the coyote 5.0. If in fact the Boss 302 is the same as the regular 5.0 in terms of internal tolerances, I don't see what would hurt it by using 5w-20 with non racing driving habits.
Exactly. If you are not racing around in your Boss or TP car, only red-lining it once a day on a spirited take-off, there's no need to waste money on more expensive 5W-50. If you are planning to use that car on the track, use the oil that Ford recommends due to it not breaking down (losing its viscosity) at higher temperatures that the engine will experience by spending more time in the upper RPM ranges and moving side to side. That is my understanding as to how the oil rating system works, and what logically makes sense to me as to why Ford would spec the different weights. Demographically, maybe Ford expects European versions of the same engines that are sold in the US, to spend more time at higher temps, say for instance on the Autobahn, so they spec'd an oil that essentially stays thicker, up to those higher temps. Is any of this incorrect, or does it not make sense?

Last edited by laserred38; 2/1/14 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: the good old argument about oil change