Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

First Ever Test Drive of 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/13, 04:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by steven46746

Think he was serious, I've seen the question come up before.
Oh lol.
Old 2/25/13, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They all are yes, but the one the OP drove had 175 miles on it I believe? So it was not the issue. I have driven the V-6, a 5.0 auto with the 3.15 and I can see the experience the OP had. These cars have gotten so good and ever-more powerful at ALL levels, I think it is easy to get jaded on the pucker factor.
Old 2/25/13, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Sounds like it may just of been. I had floored it and went from about 55 to 90 and it certainly wasn't slow by any means but it didn't give me or my wife the pucker factor that I was hoping for. I really need to be taken out in a manual and feel the difference from the auto.
You just nailed it right there. This car in auto is NOT the same car in manual. I wrote a long review of my 2014 when I first received and noted that my initial impression of the GT was in the veil of a 2013 GT/CS Auto - a fine car by all means, but it did not have anywhere near the punch the manual has. I bought the manual by faith that it would be leagues better and my gamble played off. The manual with 3.73s delivers a wallop if you're in the right gear and in the power band (anywhere on the tach ). You will have that weightless falling sensation, but moving forward and it will knock your ***** into your back pocket.

You didn't say anything offensive in my mind. This kind of car forms emotional bonds with its driver, so when you say something contrary to another's experience, you might as well have slapped their mother lol.

@ Steven - lol!

Edit - re: that GT500 experience posted by someone: My manager buys a new SVT Mustang every 10 years. He's got a 94 and an 04. He said he thought the 04 was weak for the longest time because the boost gauge would never move. One day he hit a certain amount of milage and he went sideways turning onto a highway from his neighborhood hitting full boost lol.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 2/25/13 at 06:34 PM.
Old 2/25/13, 06:37 PM
GT Member

short time

Originally Posted by 2012GT
Not saying you have anything to gain. My old lady lied to me for 10 years with nothing to gain. I'm just saying the car didnt go 11.95 on stock tires. Maybe you looked at the wrong time slip. So what was the short time on this 11.95 run?
short time was 1.849 and the other lanes slip was 11.74 so I didnt get the wrong time slip.
Old 2/25/13, 07:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by uncle phil
short time was 1.849 and the other lanes slip was 11.74 so I didnt get the wrong time slip.
All I can say is pat yourself on the back. You've done something no one else is the country can do including professional racing companies. Steeda, Evolution, Bama, BBR, and Amazon should call you for lessons.
Old 2/25/13, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

Now I doubt that a GT500 would be slow any time except being parked. Lol. Some reason I detect a little bit of sarcasm in there. Lol
He wasn't being sarcastic, in fact he needs about ten more Os in there. Until you drive one for over five miles and restart it, it is extremely limited. Seriously, WOT for 15 seconds will get you to a blazing 50mph.....
Old 2/25/13, 10:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Planeswalker

He wasn't being sarcastic, in fact he needs about ten more Os in there. Until you drive one for over five miles and restart it, it is extremely limited. Seriously, WOT for 15 seconds will get you to a blazing 50mph.....
The things you learn. I had no idea. Lol
Old 3/5/13, 11:43 AM
V6 Member

[quote=2011 Kona Blue;6559121]
Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Plus they have 87 in the car from the dealer not 93. My auto gets 4.5 0-60 stock and have hit 4.2 with a tune.

Just curious, are you running 3:15 gears?

Lol this guy test drives an auto with slowest accel gearing complains his v6 is faster. Hey can you tell us about your sixxer again lol half baked story if I ever saw one.
Old 3/5/13, 12:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sir, I think you must be confused or perhaps read the post wrong. I certainly don't feel that I was complaining. Again, was simply expressing what I experienced during my first test drive of an auto 5.0. I compare it to what I have knowledge about and my sixer is what I have knowledge on how it drives and feels. If you want to take the fact I felt the acceleration of that 5.0 was less than orgasmic and didn't have me begging for more, then yeah guess that was a complaint. I never said my v6 was faster. My sixer felt like it pulled just as hard and not that much slower. There is a difference good sir.

At the end of the day, clearly we're going to agree to disagree.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/5/13 at 12:31 PM.
Old 3/5/13, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 3/5/13, 01:24 PM
V6 Member

Sir, I think you must be confused or perhaps read the post wrong. I certainly don't feel that I was complaining. Again, was simply expressing what I experienced during my first test drive of an auto 5.0. I compare it to what I have knowledge about and my sixer is what I have knowledge on how it drives and feels. If you want to take the fact I felt the acceleration of that 5.0 was less than orgasmic and didn't have me begging for more, then yeah guess that was a complaint. I never said my v6 was faster. My sixer felt like it pulled just as hard and not that much slower. There is a difference good sir.

At the end of the day, clearly we're going to agree to disagree.
Im pretty sure you said that your V6 with mods could do better several times. I would say taking the time to post a new thread about the whole experience qualifies as complaining. Also it doesnt bother me at all that you like your V6 or you think its fast or that it even IS fast all thats fine with me its your car. However getting on this forum posting essentially "Hey guys I think the GT 420hp is kinda a slug on its home turf the HIGHWAY" was pretty lame. You already know and knew why you had this experience you drove a crappy auto its my OPINION that ford makes a pos auto trans its not fast it doesnt feel fast and leaves you going "huh thats a sport car?" You just wanted to say hey look its not so bad anymore to have a v6 they are comparable nowdays and ya your kinda right.

BUT! you asked for this big hullabaloo and you got it so dont mind me laughing over it and your strange need to bash an amazing v8 even though its to be expected out of an auto at 55mph lol
Old 3/5/13, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WhiteWinged
Im pretty sure you said that your V6 with mods could do better several times. I would say taking the time to post a new thread about the whole experience qualifies as complaining. Also it doesnt bother me at all that you like your V6 or you think its fast or that it even IS fast all thats fine with me its your car. However getting on this forum posting essentially "Hey guys I think the GT 420hp is kinda a slug on its home turf the HIGHWAY" was pretty lame. You already know and knew why you had this experience you drove a crappy auto its my OPINION that ford makes a pos auto trans its not fast it doesnt feel fast and leaves you going "huh thats a sport car?" You just wanted to say hey look its not so bad anymore to have a v6 they are comparable nowdays and ya your kinda right.

BUT! you asked for this big hullabaloo and you got it so dont mind me laughing over it and your strange need to bash an amazing v8 even though its to be expected out of an auto at 55mph lol
zombie thread
Old 3/5/13, 02:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012BLKV6

zombie thread
Weeks a long time
Old 3/5/13, 02:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by WhiteWinged

Bash the 5.0????? Who in the world bashed the 5.0????? I certainly wasn't doing 55 mph but that's neither here nor there.
Old 3/5/13, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

So my wife and I are at the local Ford dealership getting some routine maintenance done, oil, filter in cabin air filter change. We had 1.5 hours to kill so of course we made our way over to the 2013 mustangs. As luck would have it they just happened to have a auto 5.0 with 3:15 gears. Being that I have never driven in a 5.0 and so needed to see and feel the power of the 5.0. I was ready to be blown away by the feeling of being thrown and pined back in my seat. We spoke to the salesman and shortly after, the test drive began. I drove and my wife sat in the front seat. We made our way onto a on ramp just prior to getting on a highway. I was doing about 35 MPH on the on ramp and had a clear shot of no cars in front of me. Well, I'm ready to floor this baby and see what I have been so missing from my 91 Hybrid tuned sixer. I floored that 5.0 and wow what a freaking delay. I so forgot how much a delayed throttle response Ford places in the cars compared to my instant throttle response tuned car. There must of been a 2 tenths second delay. Once the delay was over the car took off but where was the throw back in the seat feeling. Not in this 5.0. Wow was I disappointed in the acceleration of this 420 HP car. I floored it on several occasions during the test drive and so not impressed with it. Perhaps it was the 3:15 gears because the off line stopped at traffic light feeling was nothing to write home about. My 11 sixer feels way more responsive with its 91 Hybrid tune, CAI and Flowmaster Axle back Force II exhaust system. I would almost bet with me getting 3:73 gears and one piece aluminum driveshaft on my sixer and my current mods one could run faster times 0-60 and 1/4 mile than a 5.0 with 3:15 gears. The down low torque really didn't feel that much better even though it has 100 more torque than the sixer.
^^^^
Short version, I test drove a new 5.0 auto, it sucked; I bet my v6 with light mods is about as fast.
Old 3/5/13, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I test drove 2 5.0s and the one I bought felt much faster. My mom has the v6. Not even close to what my v8 will do.
Old 3/5/13, 03:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by steven46746

^^^^
Short version, I test drove a new 5.0 auto, it sucked; I bet my v6 with light mods is about as fast.
If you say so, then that's fine. Its a rocket, oh lord Jesus. I was getting me a cold pop when test driving the 5.0.
Old 3/5/13, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xar
I'm one of those guys who just likes mustangs period, no matter what V it is.
^^^^^^
Old 3/6/13, 02:38 AM
GT Member

Your butt dyno is out of calibration