2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

First Ever Test Drive of 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/13 | 02:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes. Have run a 12.8 stock, 12.5 with tune and stock tires and a 12 with Tune and DR's.
There are many who swear by 4.10's but it really seems to come down to stock gears and convertor.
Old 2/21/13 | 03:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I was off the ramp and already merged onto the level highway by the time I floored it. Several times did I floor it and not a huge wow factor. I know its against the mustang code to speak less of the v8 and death to anyone who claims less of the vehicle. Its a great car, huge potential for HP gains, but if someone is looking for performance out of there 5.0, don't get 3:15 gears and buy a performance tuner. Its was very disappointing. I have no reserve a 3k modded 11 plus sixer will walk the dog over a factory stock 5.0 with the standard 3:15 gears.
Im sure people have done what you are talking about, what times do they run? Im still not believing that for 3k in boltons is going to do it.
Old 2/21/13 | 03:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Aleksandar Dragosavljevic
Hehe... fair enough... Well to the OP sorry that you were disapointed. My fiance and I went to local ford dealer here just to test drive the new mustangs. The sales guy told me to floor it once i went on the Freeway. Now I owned a 01 GT 5spd ( sold ) and still own a 97 GT Triple black CVT with just about everything done than a blower or power adder, bolt ons, full energy suspensions bushing kit, and FRPP MACH 1 suspensions MOSER AXELS, 3.23 gears, COBRA ALUMINUM shaft fully built 4r70w with Kevlar clutches, 2000 rpm stall, etc... MAC Cold air, BBK, flowmasters you get the picture, and wow did the new 5.0 6spd give me the adrenaline rush and grin from one ear to the next.

"Wow take it easy babe, this thing is slamming me in the seat, and my internals feel weird" were her exact words when i dropped it from 4th to the 2nd on a on ramp with the new 5.0

The new mustangs are bad ***!! Especially the V8's paired with good traction and transmittion.

I noticed people getting 4.5sec-4.7 on a manual vs high 4's or 5.5 with auto with the 5.0

Test drive a manual if you can!

Forgot to add: on that same day I went home with a Grabber Blue 5.0 6spd :P
Because I have a automatic sixer I wanted to test drive another automatic that way I can really compare the two having the same transmission types. The only automatic the dealership had unfortunately was one with 3:15 gears. Certainly, after the delay in throttle response, the 5.0 took off. Certainly it was not slow but not heart pounding, omg, wow factor. When accelerating at traffic light was okay but nothing that would have me raving about.
Old 2/21/13 | 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Im surprised no one has mentioned that you really feel the power of the 5.0 in the upper revs....it's not like the old V8's...you have to rev this one to feel how fast it really is. 420 HP @ 6500 rpm's and 390lbs @ 4250....rev it all the way up and you'll think differant.

Last edited by LLZuB; 2/21/13 at 03:56 PM.
Old 2/21/13 | 04:19 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by LLZuB
Im surprised no one has mentioned that you really feel the power of the 5.0 in the upper revs....it's not like the old V8's...you have to rev this one to feel how fast it really is. 420 HP @ 6500 rpm's and 390lbs @ 4250....rev it all the way up and you'll think differant.
Exactly^ I have a 2011 V6 auto and drove my neighbors 2012 V8 auto. The power of the V8 is in the high band. The little sixer is great at stop lights as an everyday Camry crusher but poops out at 100mph while the V8 5.0 keeps on truckin.

To each his own. I would own them both if I wasn't paying so much in child support and student loans.
Old 2/21/13 | 04:23 PM
Bullitt Member

The new 6 is about equal in power mod for mod and track times to the old 4.6 V8. I had intake tune long tubes on my 2009 GT and I can tell you the stock boss feels like a rocket ship at all rpms by comparison. The more aggressive gears and more sensitive throttle might make the v6 feel faster when in reality it's not. For example my friends stock Evo X feels really fast because the power hits you all at once, felt a hell of a lot faster than my old GT. but the GT will usually beat it in a race. And they had roughly the same hp.
Old 2/21/13 | 04:41 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

Exactly^ I have a 2011 V6 auto and drove my neighbors 2012 V8 auto. The power of the V8 is in the high band. The little sixer is great at stop lights as an everyday Camry crusher but poops out at 100mph while the V8 5.0 keeps on truckin.

To each his own. I would own them both if I wasn't paying so much in child support and student loans.
How often are you 100+ mph?
Old 2/21/13 | 04:46 PM

More than I should.

However, It's just an example. I find the best performance of the V6 is 0-45mph. Respectfully, A tuned V6 with loud exhaust can be quite satisfying at a stoplight for someone on a budget.
Old 2/21/13 | 05:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by blackbullitt

Im sure people have done what you are talking about, what times do they run? Im still not believing that for 3k in boltons is going to do it.
Well, respectfully, the 11 plus v6's with a 87 performance tune will run 13.7 in the 1/4 mile. A factory, non modded 11 plus V6 with 3:31 gears can run 5.1 0-60 on factory issued tires and that's with not one single mod. 3k can get you a whole bunch of mods. Performance tuner, Cai, Exhaust system, 3:73 gears, one piece aluminum driveshaft, headers and off road X pipe. All bolt on mods that will run around 3k. You take those mods and run against a factory, non mod 5.0 with 3:15 gears and that V6 may just take the win. I'm not saying a big margin win but I think that sixer gets the win and for 4k less.

Again I'm not saying the 5.0 is not a great car just really didn't grab me by the ***** the way I thought it would. It left me rock hard and no happy ending when the ride was over. It was like being back at my prom with my date. She said, is that it, is that all you got.
Old 2/21/13 | 06:22 PM
Cobra Member

Well, respectfully, the 11 plus v6's with a 87 performance tune will run 13.7 in the 1/4 mile. A factory, non modded 11 plus V6 with 3:31 gears can run 5.1 0-60 on factory issued tires and that's with not one single mod. 3k can get you a whole bunch of mods. Performance tuner, Cai, Exhaust system, 3:73 gears, one piece aluminum driveshaft, headers and off road X pipe. All bolt on mods that will run around 3k. You take those mods and run against a factory, non mod 5.0 with 3:15 gears and that V6 may just take the win. I'm not saying a big margin win but I think that sixer gets the win and for 4k less.

Again I'm not saying the 5.0 is not a great car just really didn't grab me by the ***** the way I thought it would. It left me rock hard and no happy ending when the ride was over. It was like being back at my prom with my date. She said, is that it, is that all you got.
5.1 seems like a stretch, no need to bench race. Go find you a manual with 3.73's, then see how you feel. Maybe this "underwhelmed" feeling is the one you were looking for before you even climbed in?
Old 2/21/13 | 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Kona Blue.... You coulda had a V8.
Old 2/21/13 | 06:37 PM

If he wanted to be "underwhelmed" he would have went to the Chevy lot. Lol

I don't think that's the case. The automatic transmission can be a slush box and lack the torque that the manual can offer. However, lets accept his test drive as it is and accept his opinion as personal and constructive.

A manual transmission with 3.73 gears is irrelevant to his experience in this instance. For that matter, test drive a supercharged manual... Better yet, skip all GTs and sit behind the wheel of a GT 500.

We're missing the point as we puff out our chests.
Old 2/21/13 | 06:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by steven46746

5.1 seems like a stretch, no need to bench race. Go find you a manual with 3.73's, then see how you feel. Maybe this "underwhelmed" feeling is the one you were looking for before you even climbed in?
I was actually was looking forward to this test drive and feeling the power of the 5.0. I was very excited to see all this time what I had been missing and the talk from all the enthusiasts .
Old 2/21/13 | 09:13 PM
V6 Member

post some times I would truly be interested to see. I can only base my thinking on past experience with my 3v v8 and my 5.0 and how they compare
Old 2/21/13 | 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Because I have a automatic sixer I wanted to test drive another automatic that way I can really compare the two having the same transmission types. The only automatic the dealership had unfortunately was one with 3:15 gears. Certainly, after the delay in throttle response, the 5.0 took off. Certainly it was not slow but not heart pounding, omg, wow factor. When accelerating at traffic light was okay but nothing that would have me raving about.
The auto 5.0 only comes with 3:15 gears. The 6r80 in the 5.0 is geared really low and it's like having 4:10 gears in 1st through 3rd.

You need to learn how to drive an auto 5.0 before you compare it to a modded 3.7.
Old 2/21/13 | 09:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper

The auto 5.0 only comes with 3:15 gears. The 6r80 in the 5.0 is geared really low and it's like having 4:10 gears in 1st through 3rd.

You need to learn how to drive an auto 5.0 before you compare it to a modded 3.7.
Is there a real lot to learn when driving an automatic. Place car in drive. Press the right pedal down and the auto transmission does the rest. Lol. It's not real deep.
Old 2/22/13 | 12:10 AM
FR500 Member

Is there a real lot to learn when driving an automatic. Place car in drive. Press the right pedal down and the auto transmission does the rest. Lol. It's not real deep.
Well you can still learn the gearbox. How it holds gears, if you slide it in 1,2, or 3 how firm the gear change and engagement it. If it gear hunts at certain throttle positions. How sensitive the throttle itself is. Theres still alot to learn even if its got a slush box
Old 2/22/13 | 10:55 AM

I can say that I share the OP's experience.

The car, in its factory state, just doesn't feel like 400+ hp down low. It is fast, but it does not feel that fast. I came from a 96 Thunderbird w/ the 4.6L V8, and that car pulled much stronger at low rpm's, at least that's what it felt like.

IMHO, this is all due to the factory tuning. I now have the FRPP tune and it's a different car: There's much more power down low. And while this isn't even the most aggressive tune, not at all actually, it does make a huge difference as it is.

Actually, it's kind of sad that a tune is necessary to get there. But I'm happy now
Old 2/22/13 | 11:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SwissGT
I can say that I share the OP's experience.

The car, in its factory state, just doesn't feel like 400+ hp down low. It is fast, but it does not feel that fast. I came from a 96 Thunderbird w/ the 4.6L V8, and that car pulled much stronger at low rpm's, at least that's what it felt like.

IMHO, this is all due to the factory tuning. I now have the FRPP tune and it's a different car: There's much more power down low. And while this isn't even the most aggressive tune, not at all actually, it does make a huge difference as it is.

Actually, it's kind of sad that a tune is necessary to get there. But I'm happy now
It really just showed me that with the incorrect gear ratio for the vehicle, how the manufacture sets the throttle response and shift points really makes a huge difference on the driving experience even with a 400 plus HP car.

Certainly the 5.0 has a huge amount of potential for power gains given the coyote engine. You really understood what I was trying to convey in my impression of my test drive. In base raw form the 5.0 really lacked that wow, omg factor for me that I really was expecting from this 420 HP monster machine. Had I gotten the base 5.0 model I would of been feeling very empty and not happy with a 7.5k more purchase than my sixer. One would need around $2,500 additional dollars to spend on aftermarket mods to make that 5.0 awesome like I was thinking it was going to be. At minimum a performance tuner, lower gears, CAI, exhaust system, headers and off road x pipe would have to go on if I was ever in the future thinking of buying a 5.0.

When a buddy of mine took me out in there 400 HP, twin turbo, AWD, 911 Porsche now that was scarey. Now that's what the omg, crap my pants feeling I was looking for with the 5.0 test drive.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/22/13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 2/22/13 | 12:17 PM
V6 Member

It really just showed me that with the incorrect gear ratio for the vehicle, how the manufacture sets the throttle response and shift points really makes a huge difference on the driving experience even with a 400 plus HP car.

Certainly the 5.0 has a huge amount of potential for power gains given the coyote engine. You really understood what I was trying to convey in my impression of my test drive. In base raw form the 5.0 really lacked that wow, omg factor for me that I really was expecting from this 420 HP monster machine. Had I gotten the base 5.0 model I would of been feeling very empty and not happy with a 7.5k more purchase than my sixer. One would need around $2,500 additional dollars to spend on aftermarket mods to make that 5.0 awesome like I was thinking it was going to be. At minimum a performance tuner, lower gears, CAI, exhaust system, headers and off road x pipe would have to go on if I was ever in the future thinking of buying a 5.0.

When a buddy of mine took me out in there 400 HP, twin turbo, AWD, 911 Porsche now that was scarey. Now that's what the omg, crap my pants feeling I was looking for with the 5.0 test drive.
What's that price on the Porsche?

Quick Reply: First Ever Test Drive of 5.0