2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Deciding between the mustang and camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/09, 09:54 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mach1fever
Boomer,

The G8 were 2008/2009 model year only. So the introduction came in 2008. I have one as my d/d.

Roger
Try 2 years earlier in the 2006 Commodore.
Its 'new' to the US...its old to the Aussies

(hint: adjust your side mirrors so they actually look at your blind spot. If you can see the side of your car from your mirrors, you are wasting those mirrors.)
Concur...
It amazes me how many people don't adjust their mirrors properly.
Some guys at work actually fight about this ....
You shouldn't see your own vehicle in those mirrors.
As a car leaves your rear view into your blind spot, it should start appearing in your side mirrors...

Last edited by Boomer; 11/4/09 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11/4/09, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That rpm noise was during acceleration or cruise? If at cruise it has cylinder deactivation similar to my g8. The motor becomes significantly higher pitched as it is esentially a four cylinder. It is annoying with my aftermarket exhaust and can be tuned out.

Respectfully,

Roger

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
I drove an automatic Camaro SS rental on a business trip.

It was fun, but not my cup of tea:

The bad:
* Exhaust was very quiet. (Maybe I am biased b/c I'm running without cats right now, but it sounded very tame to me)
* Actually sounded "bad" between 4.5k and 6k rpm. Although the exhaust was tame, the engine made all sorts of clammoring between 4.5k and 6k. It wasn't the sound of an engine purring/roaring at redline either - it sounded like I was breaking it. Clammoring is the only word to describe it. I actually drove this car under 4k RPM most of the time because it sounded like I was destroying the car when I would drive at WOT to redline.
* Visibility was bad. The A-pillar is huge. When I was making turns, whole entire cars would get lost behind the A-pillar. C-pillar - also huge. For people who say the Mustang has bad visibility - it really doesn't. I had a 4-door 2000 Volvo S70 (see huge windows) before my Mustang, and my visibility has dramatically improved in the Mustang. I used to have trouble checking my blind spot when changing lanes in the Volvo, but it's no problem with the huge glass side windows of the Mustang (hint: adjust your side mirrors so they actually look at your blind spot. If you can see the side of your car from your mirrors, you are wasting those mirrors.)

The good:
* It looked great on the outside.
* It accellerated very smoothly. In fact, the only way I actually could sense that I was accellerating very fast was the fact that the speedo would move up quickly - and cars around me would fall into my rear view very quickly. But honestly, without those indicators, I would have not felt that I was going very fast at all. I didn't hear it. I didn't feel it in the seat of my pants. Good for some people, but I like to feel the raw power.
* The car also glided over bumps and I had alot less sensation for the feel of the road through steering wheel vibrations. This may be a good thing to some people who want a quiet luxurious experience, but it made me feel numb and out of control. I lose confidence when I don't have a good feel for the road texture. This might be something you get over after getting used to the car though.
* Traction control was actually functional. In the rain, in our Mustangs, you will lurch forward and backward if you mash the pedal, as traction control cuts fuel. In the Camaro, if you mash the pedal down, the car fishtails very slightly as the computer strategically applies brakes to wheels that lose traction. And you can always turn off the TC for full-on shenanigans.

Maybe alot of the tameness may have been because this was an automatic 1SS and not a manual 2SS?
Old 11/4/09, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Boomer I know,

But in your post you were saying US introduction and that is what I was commenting on You said 07 with the G8 in your original post

Roger

Originally Posted by Boomer
Old 11/4/09, 09:58 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Boomer I know,

But in your post you were saying US introduction and that is what I was commenting on You said 07 with the G8 in your original post

Roger
Sorry..my bad... it was so far back I was just guessing on the convo...
Your right..
Old 11/4/09, 10:01 AM

That rpm noise was during acceleration or cruise? If at cruise it has cylinder deactivation similar to my g8. The motor becomes significantly higher pitched as it is esentially a four cylinder. It is annoying with my aftermarket exhaust and can be tuned out.

Respectfully,

Roger
Roger,

It was during hard accelleration with the pedal pressed all the way down, beyond 4.5k RPM or so. It was more of a clankering and clammoring than a whine.
Old 11/4/09, 10:04 AM

Concur...
Some guys at work actually fight about this ....
You shouldn't see your own vehicle in those mirrors.
As a car leaves your rear view into your blind spot, it should start appearing in your side mirrors...

I'm one of those guys who fight about this..
Old 11/4/09, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Concur...
Yep. I don't think most people know how to and when shown don't like it at first. And the ones who stick convex mirrors on the sides...
Old 11/4/09, 02:36 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry..my bad... it was so far back I was just guessing on the convo...
Your right..

No worries my brother As an aside I lost almost 1200 posts on my post count lol.

Roger

Last edited by mach1fever; 11/4/09 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11/4/09, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Roger,

It was during hard accelleration with the pedal pressed all the way down, beyond 4.5k RPM or so. It was more of a clankering and clammoring than a whine.

Interesting, I haven't experienced that. Then again I have an LS2 and not an LS3.

Roger
Old 11/4/09, 06:30 PM
V6 Member

On the original issue of this post I just recently went through this decision process and put it up on my blog if you are interested.

http://kingvoodoo.blogspot.com/

The short of my review/story...I picked a 2010 Mustang GT.
Old 11/4/09, 07:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by merc50
On the original issue of this post I just recently went through this decision process and put it up on my blog if you are interested.

http://kingvoodoo.blogspot.com/

The short of my review/story...I picked a 2010 Mustang GT.
Great write up on all 3 cars and you hit it on the head with all of them. The new drive trains should push the Mustang way a head of the pack and the others will have a tough time catching up with the entire package.
Old 11/4/09, 09:52 PM
V6 Member

I think the most surprising thing still is how many Mustang "loyalists" have dogged on me for buying the 2010.

One guy thinks I did one of the most stupid things ever by not waiting for the new motor.

To be honest, this car is a daily driver and I enjoy driving it. I am not drag racing it so the 5.0 would be cool to have but at this point in my life I don't want to wait another six months to get a car and I am enjoying myself now.

I will admit, I still like Challenger and I think the Plum Crazy will be killer...but man Chrysler just has never worked for me.

As for the Camaro, it really has room for improvement on many levels but is a cool ride. Nothings perfect but after that long of a freaking wait and hype they missed the mark.

Last edited by merc50; 11/4/09 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11/4/09, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Very nice review of all three. I also agree with all of your points. The bottom line is the only place the Mustang falls below either of the others is in power, which can easily be taken care of with a few performance parts as money and time permit. There is nothing you can really do about the bad points of either of the others. Once you buy one, you're stuck with a lame interior, or even worse, a car you can't even see out of, forever. These aren't things that can be upgraded or changed like an engine.

As far as the rear end issue, from what I have seen that looks good, I would suggest a subtle tint to the lights and a GT500 diffuser and spoiler.
Old 11/4/09, 10:59 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merc50
I think the most surprising thing still is how many Mustang "loyalists" have dogged on me for buying the 2010.

One guy thinks I did one of the most stupid things ever by not waiting for the new motor.

To be honest, this car is a daily driver and I enjoy driving it. I am not drag racing it so the 5.0 would be cool to have but at this point in my life I don't want to wait another six months to get a car and I am enjoying myself now.

I will admit, I still like Challenger and I think the Plum Crazy will be killer...but man Chrysler just has never worked for me.

As for the Camaro, it really has room for improvement on many levels but is a cool ride. Nothings perfect but after that long of a freaking wait and hype they missed the mark.
I don't get why a lot of guys go this. They act like the '10 is trash because the new motor is coming next year.

Don't listen to 'em bro the '10 is a great car IMO