2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2010 Coupe without camo...

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/08, 01:34 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my best to get out and try and get some mustang pics today. Lots of activity, but no Mustangs Oh well, I tried. Next week is a whole new week. While I was out with my camera I did snap some interesting picures though. I have no idea what the car is under the camo, It had some different looking wheels. Aslo saw a GT 500 KR and Ford GT It also looks like they are working giving the Fusion/Milan an uptate.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Coupe without camo...-dsc03901.jpg   2010 Coupe without camo...-dsc03905.jpg   2010 Coupe without camo...-dsc03907.jpg   2010 Coupe without camo...-dsc03906.jpg   2010 Coupe without camo...-dsc03909.jpg  

Old 9/12/08, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

A+ for effort!!!
Old 9/12/08, 02:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Cocheese
I did my best to get out and try and get some mustang pics today. Lots of activity, but no Mustangs Oh well, I tried. Next week is a whole new week. While I was out with my camera I did snap some interesting picures though. I have no idea what the car is under the camo, It had some different looking wheels.
That's a next-gen Taurus under that camo.
Old 9/12/08, 03:20 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good work Cocheese! I'll be waiting to see what happens...
Old 9/12/08, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, nice hunting! If that was me I would probably just set up a lawn chair next to the entrance to product development, crack a beer and wait for the 2010 to rumble by. But then again, I'm a lazy man.
Old 9/12/08, 07:49 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys, I am kinda excited for Monday. I hope it is not raining like it was today... It is nice to get some exercise on the old rollar blades, today I just chilled out in my car.

Oh, Clino, I thought about the lawn chair thing, but like I said I really need the exercise and if I don't see any Mustangs at least I got off my butt for a while.
Old 9/12/08, 09:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eights
watchdevil here has hit the nail on the head.

Just suppose in late 2004 Ford had announced that there would be two different 2005 Mustangs sold side-by-side in 2005 and continuing. One of the 2005 Mustangs would be the current S197 as we know it, and this one. I think the current S197 would have outsold this one by four-to-one, maybe five-to-one, and possibly six-to-one. Both are nice, but the current S197 is tasteful, sleek, purposeful, and frankly beautiful. The 2010 is clearly closely-related to the current S197, but there seems to be too many styling gimmicks--hideous front turnsignals in the headlight bezels (about as gimmicky as it can get), a Shelby-ish grille (which we've seen on every Shelby for several years now), and "styling" for stylings sake in the taillights and that dreadful Chevy Avalanche roadkill cladding panel at the bottom of the rear bumper. Hurl and hurl some more!!!

Leave the roadkill cladding to Pontiacs, Avalanches, and Elements!!! Didn't the Aztek--cough, hack, wheeze--have cladding at the bottom of its rear bumper just like this?

I can say this--if the 2010 Mustang had been the 2005, and the 2005 had been the 2010--we'd all be on our hands and knees right now giving devout thanks and praise to our various deities that the Supreme Being(s) of your choice had saved the Mustang at last! Confess ye sinners, thou knowest thou would! Or something sorta King Jamesy like that...

Greg "Eights" Ates

Sincerely, King James
Yeah some of the new details look like some 12 year old kid drew over a picture of the 05-09 model because he was bored during class at school and just added crap here and drew crap there just to make it look different than the original.

What really gets me is the horrid Dodge Ram hood and grille the new 2010 Shelby has. It is so overexaggerated that it is not even pretty anymore. Even the Cobra II nose looks more attractive. No classic Shelby was ever ugly like the new 2010.

Oh yeah and I can be a 2010 Mustang designer too!

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/12/08 at 10:16 PM.
Old 9/12/08, 11:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
Yeah some of the new details look like some 12 year old kid drew over a picture of the 05-09 model because he was bored during class at school and just added crap here and drew crap there just to make it look different than the original.

What really gets me is the horrid Dodge Ram hood and grille the new 2010 Shelby has. It is so overexaggerated that it is not even pretty anymore. Even the Cobra II nose looks more attractive. No classic Shelby was ever ugly like the new 2010.

Amen Brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9/12/08, 11:12 PM
V6 Member

I totally agree with both of the previous posts.
Old 9/12/08, 11:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just think with what this reskin cost they could have given Cougar lovers a new Cougar...
Old 9/13/08, 12:34 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just think with what this reskin cost they could have given Cougar lovers a new Cougar...
What a car that would have sold 3 total cars and costs Ford millions of dollars? No thank you, as much I love Mercury Cougars it wouldn't have worked.

If you really hate the 2010 so much, why do you keep coming in here posting about it? Truthfully there hasn't even been one full no camo/zebra paint pic released yet for you to have such a strong opinion about...

If you still feel this way after its debut then so be it, you're entitled to like or dislike it. But until then, I'm claiming the classic "new body style envy". It happened when the '05 came out, and now history is repeating itself...
Old 9/13/08, 12:50 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
What a car that would have sold 3 total cars and costs Ford millions of dollars? No thank you, as much I love Mercury Cougars it wouldn't have worked.

If you really hate the 2010 so much, why do you keep coming in here posting about it? Truthfully there hasn't even been one full no camo/zebra paint pic released yet for you to have such a strong opinion about...

If you still feel this way after its debut then so be it, you're entitled to like or dislike it. But until then, I'm claiming the classic "new body style envy". It happened when the '05 came out, and now history is repeating itself...
Amen, brother.
Old 9/13/08, 01:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I have been around for 43 years and lived to see many new Mustang models preview. Never have I been completely repulsed by certain design details to the point I thought that they struck me as ugly.

Hate is a strong word because I don't dislike everything about the 2010 Mustang. Many of us dislike some of the unattractive styling details and we are free to discuss it just as the cheerleaders who like it are free to praise it. I am sure Ford is gauging reaction as well to see if there are any last minute adjustments that need to be made.

The ugly parts of the new Mustang such as the front and rear bumper coutours, front turn lamps and taillamps have been revealed already. Most of the new body contours are fine but not sensational or different enough to wish I had the new model. So there will certainly be no new model envy for me, especially with the ugly parts attached to it.

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/13/08 at 02:09 AM.
Old 9/13/08, 08:40 AM
GT Member

and also killed the Mustang because the worst thing you could do is not update your product in the face of new competition.

People ***** all the time whenever the 911 receives an update- either they changed too much ( 996 ) or they changed too little ( like the one shown recently ). But really the point of updating the car is not to instantly make current 911 owners dump their car, but to keep it relevant to the latest competition.

The Camaro and Challenger are brand-new cars, like the Mustang was in 2005. The 2010 is significant update, w/ all new bodypanels ( except for greenhouse ) all new interior, and it appears new engines for 2011 ( which maybe we'll get in 2010.5, judging by the Nov 08 intro of the "2010". ) Can you imagine what would happen to the five-year-old Mustang design against the new Camaro? It would look really really, really old. I can just see it now in Automobile/MotorTrend/Autoweek/C&D etc etc "Well, look at Ford again- not updating their best product, and leaving it to die" ( i.e. Taurus, Navigator, Explorer, etc. )

Camaro will be in the same position in 2013/14 when that new GRWD Mustang and the Camaro does a minor facelift. Jeez.

Of course, you'd like to have new engines the first year, but the designers have nothing to do with the engine development timeline. My guess is Ford danced around the idea of when to put out the new car, but had to split it up so the new Mustang "look" wasn't a year behind the Camaro, even if the engine came later. They did this on MKS, Flex, Escape, so the pattern is there.

Remember the Mustang is not all-new, but significantly improved in every way. Wait til the camo comes off, and you see it in real paint and in person and sit in it and drive it. If you still don't like the bumper, or the headlight, I am sure one of the many aftermarket companies will have one that you do. If you want the 5.0, wait a year. But from what I heard, the overall car is soooooooo much better all-around I'm willing to bet you'll seriously consider trading in your current one for the 2010+ upgrades.
Old 9/13/08, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

so far what i seen i actually like better than the model right now. i love the model right now but im liking that 2010 better...
people are free to express their opinions but dont express before the product is actually out...
Old 9/13/08, 11:48 AM
GT Member

You've got to be kidding me...

WD, because this car is a re-skin of the current Mustang, drawing over the current car is exactly what the designers had to do. Imagine taking the hood, fenders, doors, trunklid and bumpers all off, and then having to create an all new design while leaving the windows,roof, wheels, engine, bumper beams, radiator, rear diff, seats, steering wheel, transmission in the exact same place.

And they didn't do it by taking a pic of the current car in Paint shop.
( If the car looks exactly like your photo, I will print it out, eat it and post a picture of it in my mouth. Yes, it has re-shaped tailamps and a bigger badge, but you are missing SO much. In fact, your drawing looks like a 6 yr old tried to draw the new car w/ a dull crayon. )

They sketch the design freehand and then sculpt clay for over a year and a half to get everything just right. Then they fight with the beancounters and engineers and so on to keep as much of the design as possible. Remember, there are also federal and corporate standards for crash, lamp view safety angles, outward vision, wheel jounce, ramp over angle, ingress/egress, and list goes on. While doing a beautiful design, they also must consider and meet all these requirements while dealing with beancounters, ergonomics, safety, manufacturing and so on. Its not easy- they don't just get to draw whatever they want and it is made. Its not 1967 anymore....because the sheetmetal is structural ( unibody ) and lead is no longer used to fill panel gaps, everything must be stamped out of one piece and then meet torsional rigidity tests.

These guys did the current Mustang, T-Bird, Shelby GT500, Bullitt, and Shelby GR-1. They know what they're doing. They wouldn't be on the Mustang team if they did not.

If after the camo comes off, and you see it for real, you still don't like it, that is your opinion and you of course are entitled to it. If you like the Camaro more, go buy one. If you like the Challenger, get one. If you are so in love w/ your car, keep it forever. But don't disrespect the degreed professionals by putting up a nasty Paintshop pic and saying you could be a designer too, or make insulting comments based on a vehicle that you still can't see!!!!!. That is the point of the camo, to trick you in plain sight. It also hides all the reflections in the paint, so all the shapes look flat and you cannot see the scupture in the metal.

Just wait. I have faith.

-gnat-sum, Mustang enthusiast and industrial/auto designer.
Old 9/13/08, 12:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by gnat-sum
Just wait. I have faith.
I have faith as well. I've seen nothing that would stop me from buying the redesign. Granted there are somes things I don't like, but there some things I don't like about my '05 as well. It didn't stop me then and it won't stop me from making a future purchase.

Last edited by WaltM; 9/13/08 at 12:06 PM.
Old 9/13/08, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

You've got to be kidding me...

WD, because this car is a re-skin of the current Mustang, drawing over the current car is exactly what the designers had to do. Imagine taking the hood, fenders, doors, trunklid and bumpers all off, and then having to create an all new design while leaving the windows,roof, wheels, engine, bumper beams, radiator, rear diff, seats, steering wheel, transmission in the exact same place.

And they didn't do it by taking a pic of the current car in Paint shop.
( If the car looks exactly like your photo, I will print it out, eat it and post a picture of it in my mouth. Yes, it has re-shaped tailamps and a bigger badge, but you are missing SO much. In fact, your drawing looks like a 6 yr old tried to draw the new car w/ a dull crayon. )

They sketch the design freehand and then sculpt clay for over a year and a half to get everything just right. Then they fight with the beancounters and engineers and so on to keep as much of the design as possible. Remember, there are also federal and corporate standards for crash, lamp view safety angles, outward vision, wheel jounce, ramp over angle, ingress/egress, and list goes on. While doing a beautiful design, they also must consider and meet all these requirements while dealing with beancounters, ergonomics, safety, manufacturing and so on. Its not easy- they don't just get to draw whatever they want and it is made. Its not 1967 anymore....because the sheetmetal is structural ( unibody ) and lead is no longer used to fill panel gaps, everything must be stamped out of one piece and then meet torsional rigidity tests.

These guys did the current Mustang, T-Bird, Shelby GT500, Bullitt, and Shelby GR-1. They know what they're doing. They wouldn't be on the Mustang team if they did not.

If after the camo comes off, and you see it for real, you still don't like it, that is your opinion and you of course are entitled to it. If you like the Camaro more, go buy one. If you like the Challenger, get one. If you are so in love w/ your car, keep it forever. But don't disrespect the degreed professionals by putting up a nasty Paintshop pic and saying you could be a designer too, or make insulting comments based on a vehicle that you still can't see!!!!!. That is the point of the camo, to trick you in plain sight. It also hides all the reflections in the paint, so all the shapes look flat and you cannot see the scupture in the metal.

Just wait. I have faith.

-gnat-sum, Mustang enthusiast and industrial/auto designer.
Nicely put Gnat-sum!

Just as an analogy, I'm a musician and for me it's like people saying your new album sucks after only hearing a few clips of a few songs and then saying they could write a better album even though they have never picked up a guitar in their lives and have no idea what is involved in the process.

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, and no matter how good a design is everyone won't like everything about it, but I think it makes sense to wait until we see the whole thing until such harsh opinions are thrown around. The way some people are talking it's like they just re-badged a Pontiac Aztek
Old 9/13/08, 12:27 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone who is WORKING on his degree to be an Industrial/automobile designer, I would like to in form you sir that you need a swift smack upside the head and have to realize you are trying to insult people who are far more intelligent and more qualified than you to design a car.

Gnat-sum you are right on the money. They don't just send in a bunch of monkeys to draw pictures and then voila they have a car. there is alot of research, testing, design and HARD work that goes into these cars. As you said, these guys more than know what they are doing

Also, I know a 10 year old that does better work than that
Old 9/13/08, 12:59 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,787 Posts
The Camaro and Challenger are brand-new cars, like the Mustang was in 2005. The 2010 is significant update, w/ all new bodypanels ( except for greenhouse ) all new interior, and it appears new engines for 2011 ( which maybe we'll get in 2010.5, judging by the Nov 08 intro of the "2010". ) Can you imagine what would happen to the five-year-old Mustang design against the new Camaro? It would look really really, really old. I can just see it now in Automobile/MotorTrend/Autoweek/C&D etc etc "Well, look at Ford again- not updating their best product, and leaving it to die" ( i.e. Taurus, Navigator, Explorer, etc. )
Although the production versions of the Camaro and Challenger, are brand new cars. We've all known what the concept versions have looked like for 3 years now. IMHO, compared to the new 2010 Mustang re-fresh. Both the Camaro and Challenger, will already appear to look both dated and old.

That being said, Ford did the right thing by not revealing the 2010 re-fresh too soon

Quick Reply: 2010 Coupe without camo...