05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer Avic D3

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/07, 04:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I was going to install this unit tomorrow, BUT there is a slight snag. When I ordered this unit from Crutchfield, I didn't get the Boyo backup camera, as they were out of stock, and was told there was no date listed when they would be in. I was also told they were "while supplies lasted". So I asked for them to humor me, and put one on backorder (which they did).....
WELL, I look in my email inbox this morning, and see a message from Crutchfield that my item was shipped? I opened it, and they are shipping me a backup camera!!! SWEET!!! I really didn't think I would get one, let alone this quick if I did. So, I will be wiring the unit tomorrow, but will wait for the camera to arrive Monday. Once I get it, I'll plug it into the HU and then finish the install. I really didn't want to do the whole thing and have to take it out and add this item.

Hey Jarrod, did you start on it yet? I got another question? One that I haven't found anywhere? What gauge wire did everyone use for the resistor from Radio Shack? I am assming either 16 or 18 gauge wire should do the trick? And I am to assume when I get near the VSS wire under the hood, I should just use a wire tap (like what is included?) Can't wait now for Monday for me to get the camera!!!
Old 12/1/07, 08:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
16 or 18 gauge will be fine..... using a tap under the hood isn't the best idea because over time, the contacts inside will rust on my cars but since you probably don't drive yours much in rain, etc. you'll probably be fine.
Old 12/1/07, 09:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tom281
16 or 18 gauge will be fine..... using a tap under the hood isn't the best idea because over time, the contacts inside will rust on my cars but since you probably don't drive yours much in rain, etc. you'll probably be fine.
Thanks again Tom. You have been a HUGE help buddy! Yeah, wanted to install it, but it would be silly to install, only to take it right back out to install the camera. No biggie, its suppose to snow a little tomorrow, so the car WON'T be going out anytime soon (at least till the roads are 99% clear and dry).

Speaking about the tap, I guess I could just cut a very small piece of the insulation on the VSS, wrap the wire from the HU, and then use electrical tape or cut a large piece of heat-shrink tubing and wrap it? While I don't intentionally drive my car in the rain, If I'm out at a show and it rains, so be it, and if I am scheduled to go to a large event (i.e Carlisle's All Ford Nat's, or Get Out Of The Cold 2008), and its rain or shine, I take the car out. I'll do some thinking on the tap idea. Thanks again buddy!
Old 12/1/07, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish that someone had a step by step with detailed pictures of the install in for our mustangs. Ill be honest I hate installing electronics..I get frustrated and always run into snags.

Got all the wiring soldered up (I THINK). Connected the wireing harness to the headunit....D3 turns on...dimmer works fine.... BUT My lower door speakers arent working? What RCAs do I plug into on the back of the headunit? We tried plugging them in one at a time...none made a difference. The factory door subs wouldnt turn on. The rears and the uppers on the doors seem to work just fine.

ALSO My factory Antenna wont plug into the back of the headunit?? Did I forget an adaptor? I mean I looked at it and I have no idea? My factory headunit has a center plug that guides it in...the one on the headunit has no center plug....SO my factory antenna wont plug into the D3

Also where did everyone run there GPS to? any pictures?

Ive seen some of the writings of Taco Bill and others...but there really isnt a step by step with pictures install on our cars for the D3 is there? I am honestly absolutely frustrated at this point, Im going to give it one more try tomorrow, BUT... I am contimplating taking the stereo as is to have a professional do the install. Not sure how much they would charge for the install.
Old 12/2/07, 12:58 AM

Ok didnt know this but now ive learned. Ford changed to a different antenna!!! Why cant they make up their minds. I now need to purchase a chrysler antenna adaptor, metra 40-cr-10 that will connect my factory antenna to the D3
Old 12/2/07, 01:01 AM

Also does anyone have a picture of their connected VSS wire to their PCM?
Old 12/2/07, 01:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always look up the how-to's by TacoBill.

I know this is a different HU install, but hopefully this will help:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=68371

Here is another camera install:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...77&postcount=1
Old 12/2/07, 08:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Jeff, your idea on the VSS wire is what I did; however after wrapping the radio's wire around the VSS wire, I soldered it and then used tape, etc. to seal.

I posted a couple of close up pix regarding the VSS wire and such in in my thread I think too.......
Old 12/2/07, 01:45 PM

What adapter does Toco Bill use to connect the RCAs? I am shoting that he connects a black y adapter to the white RCA line? Do I need this with my D3?
Old 12/2/07, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There is no need to connect any RCA jacks except for one, which is the rear view camera input. Unless you're running after market amps, additional video inputs, ect. you don't connect the RCA's to anything- that's what they're for is additional equipment.
Old 12/2/07, 05:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

There is no need to connect any RCA jacks except for one, which is the rear view camera input. Unless you're running after market amps, additional video inputs, ect. you don't connect the RCA's to anything- that's what they're for is additional equipment.
Tom, since I'm getting my camera tomorrow, a few more questions. What brand switch did you get and where can I pick one up from? And how did you wire that up? I'm assuming you have to run the wire from the camera to the HU, but where does the switch get wired up to? Thanks as always dude. Your a HUGE help for everyone who is getting this unit.
Old 12/2/07, 05:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Grabber07'
Ok didnt know this but now ive learned. Ford changed to a different antenna!!! Why cant they make up their minds. I now need to purchase a chrysler antenna adaptor, metra 40-cr-10 that will connect my factory antenna to the D3
Jarrod, about the antenna wire? Did Ford change this for the 2007 models only? And where did you pick the adaptor up from?
Old 12/2/07, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Tom, since I'm getting my camera tomorrow, a few more questions. What brand switch did you get and where can I pick one up from? And how did you wire that up? I'm assuming you have to run the wire from the camera to the HU, but where does the switch get wired up to? Thanks as always dude. Your a HUGE help for everyone who is getting this unit.
Most people and the Pioneer manual recommend that you wire the RVC up to a reverse wire that shows 12v while the car is in reverse. This way works fine, however I wanted a switch for two reasons:

1) so I can use the camera when the car isn't in reverse too (going down the highway, showing off the system, while doing donuts LOL, etc.)

2) The D3 has a reverse wire to hook up- if you hook this up along with the camera, then everytime you go into reverse the screen automatically changes to the RVC mode until you shift out of reverse. This is a neat feature, but again I did not want it that way. Since I have the video bypass, I wanted my vids and the nav system display to be unaffected while going in and out of reverse.

So, for my application (yours may be different, depending on how you want your system), I left the D3 reverse wire disconnected from the car. The manual will say that it should be installed so the nav knows more about the car, but IMO it hasn't made any difference. I instead chose to connect it to my switch, along with the power lead from the camera, so that when the switch is turned on it 1) powers up the camera and 2) signals the D3 to display the camera on the screen.

Since both the RVC wire on the D3 and the actual camera are both designed to see 12v input, you can just send 12v into the switch and once the switch is on, it performs both functions as mentioned above. For the 12v power to the switch, you can just use a lead from the ignition (red wire on the D3 I believe) or actually what I did, since the current draw is very minimal, I used the power antenna output off the D3 and changed the internal setting to constant so that it powers up whenever the D3 is on. I just thought it was easy and readily available, so why not use it.......

The switch is a standard 12v switch that I bought at Radio Shaft (Shack) locally for like $3.

Jarrod, about the antenna wire? Did Ford change this for the 2007 models only? And where did you pick the adaptor up from?
As far as an antenna adaptor, if Ford really did that they must have in 2007 as my 2006 did not require an adaptor.
Old 12/2/07, 06:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh man now I think I need to be having one. Yunno I wish that for every off sale related to reading about or learning here on TMS I Really wish That Brad B would get some kick back & not for PSH but for the Web Site so as he can get that TV thing going ??? I will think on this a while to see if it ( CAN ) be done.
Old 12/2/07, 08:23 PM

I could be wrong but, If you have the shaker 500 and are still using the factory amps, you need to connect the y adapter to the white rca on the metra harness and the other end gets connected to the L&R on the sub from the d3 harness

Thats what I did on mine. The shaker 500 amp only powers the door subs, All other speakers are powered from the head unit
Old 12/2/07, 10:32 PM

It might just be 2007 and up...but my connection into the shaker500 unit was a female. The D3 required it to be a male. I found the Chrysler antenna adapter at Best by... its Metra 40-Cr-10. I think the one at Best by just said Chrysler antenna adapter CR10... works great now!!

Got the D3 installed with the help of a good friend with electrical knowledge. I had a couple of wires that needed to be rerouted...a ground that wasnt grounded... and I had the Bypass a little messed up hehe... all is good now... D3 is installed... DVD, GPS NAV, FM Radio, VSS etc all works flawlessly!! You wont be dissapointed!
Old 12/2/07, 10:33 PM

Anyone know how to put backgrounds on their D3? Im sure theres a link out there that will show me how..just couldnt find it...maybe I suck at searching I dont know hehe

EDIT: figured it out ... now I just need to figure out how to put a video as my startup hehe... like me testing my Line locs hehe
Old 12/3/07, 05:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by LIPony
I could be wrong but, If you have the shaker 500 and are still using the factory amps, you need to connect the y adapter to the white rca on the metra harness and the other end gets connected to the L&R on the sub from the d3 harness

Thats what I did on mine. The shaker 500 amp only powers the door subs, All other speakers are powered from the head unit
Ah yes, you're right about the Shaker 500 system- it's been too long since my car was stock, I forgot about that one.

Anyone know how to put backgrounds on their D3? Im sure theres a link out there that will show me how..just couldnt find it...maybe I suck at searching I dont know hehe

EDIT: figured it out ... now I just need to figure out how to put a video as my startup hehe... like me testing my Line locs hehe
Glad you got it figured out! Screensaver feature is pretty neat.....
Old 12/3/07, 10:39 AM

screensaver feature? Havent seen that one... I havent had a chance to go through my instruction manual completely....is it in there?
Old 12/4/07, 03:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

screensaver feature? Havent seen that one... I havent had a chance to go through my instruction manual completely....is it in there?

Sorry, I meant the same thing you said.......background.

BUMP for Jeff.......... are you working on the install, or what gives Jeffrey???

Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic D3