05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer Avic D3

Old 11/20/07, 07:53 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer Avic D3

THinking about buying the D3 for the 07 stang...

When providing turn-based instructions, does the unit give commands like this:
"Turn right in 500 feet" or does it say something like "Turn right in 500 feet on Elm Street"

ie, does it also pronounce street names?

Next, ... has anyone purchased form one of the eBay vendors? Yes, I like Crutchfield, but there's a big difference between $950 and $600!

Also, does anyone know the model number of the wiring harness I need? (07, w/ Shaker 500). I also will need to get the Sirius module and I'll also need a camera, ... anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks
Old 11/21/07, 05:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Buy the unit off eBay and then get the harness and etc. from Crutchfield ...
Old 11/21/07, 05:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I assume you mean Pioneer D3, not Panasonic.

My D3 does not announce street names while giving directions. They are obviously shown on the screen but not announced atleast in my locality.

I bought mine from Crutchfield last month for $899, which included the kit, harness, and rearview camera.
Old 11/21/07, 05:47 AM
Cobra R Member

well here is my crutchfield plug. yes its 300 more. however. I believe crutchfield is offering a free backup camera. They will probably give you a good deal on the sirius reciever. also they will include all harnesses and things you need to install. might give you free shipping as well. so i think its a decent deal. really check throughout the holidays for a better sale. plus their service is pretty stellar.
Old 11/21/07, 05:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

No street names as Tom already mentioned. But one thing to make sure is if you buy from the eBay vendor you may void the manufactures warrenty. I'd call Pioneer to make sure they dont have rules on where you buy there product. I know alot of tech/electronic stuff needs to be bought from "approved" vendors.
Old 11/21/07, 08:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Allen, I was all set to get one from Ebay, but I changed my tune and will get one from Crutchfield. There are several reasons why, with the most notible one being a big name company to back up their products. You get lifetime tech support. Plus they give you custom instructions for the Mustang with the harnesses and trim ring to make it look OEM. And like Joe says, they are giving a free backup camera worth $150.

Now the other reason why I am getting the unit from them (and this may help you as well). If you have a Discover card, and you haven't cashed in your rewards dollars yet, you can use them towards Crutchfield. For every $40, you get a $50 gift card. I had $300 to redeem so I was able to get 7 $50 cards. This was money I don't have on me, and its just sitting there, so I went online to Discover and cashed in the points/money. Now, its only going to cost me $600 out of pocket, since they have free shipping. Same price from Ebay, and I get all the extras for free.

So if you have a Discover card, see if you have any rewards dollars you can claim. It may lower the price for you and keep your out of pocket the same as Ebay. Just a thought.
Old 11/21/07, 10:33 AM
V6 Member

Thanks! I don't have a Discover, but I'm now thinking the best way IS Crutchfield.
Old 11/21/07, 10:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Dang Jeff that discover card thing kicks a$$.....

I opted for the deal that Crutchfield has last month, which was 12 months no interest. I didn't mind another account open at that rate.
Old 11/21/07, 11:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by legion455
Thanks! I don't have a Discover, but I'm now thinking the best way IS Crutchfield.
the directions crutchfield gives you are very good as well. I think its a great buy even with that large of a price difference.
Old 11/21/07, 03:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tom281
Dang Jeff that discover card thing kicks a$$.....

I opted for the deal that Crutchfield has last month, which was 12 months no interest. I didn't mind another account open at that rate.
Yeah, Tom, I can't complain about that. Have had those dollars sitting there increasing since I opened the card years ago. I am pulling the trigger as soon as I get a bonus from Ford I am expecting. Can't wait to install this. I've never installed a radio before, so it will be fun. BTW, did you solder your wires, or did you use the quick connectors? Not very good at soldering and would feel better with the plastic quick connects, incase I had to take the radio out for some reason. If I asked this before, sorry to repeat?
Old 11/21/07, 03:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
J&R MUSIC has them for much cheaper .... jr.com ...
Old 11/21/07, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

amazon has em cheap as well.
Old 11/22/07, 07:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Yeah, Tom, I can't complain about that. Have had those dollars sitting there increasing since I opened the card years ago. I am pulling the trigger as soon as I get a bonus from Ford I am expecting. Can't wait to install this. I've never installed a radio before, so it will be fun. BTW, did you solder your wires, or did you use the quick connectors? Not very good at soldering and would feel better with the plastic quick connects, incase I had to take the radio out for some reason. If I asked this before, sorry to repeat?
I managed an audio/video store for six or seven years after getting out of school...... I prefer and we always used butt connectors. Faster/easier than soldering, much more reliable than Scotch-locks or T-style locks. This is assuming you have the correct style of crimpers.
Old 11/22/07, 08:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sonicelectronix.com sells it for $699. I came upon them last night looking for replacement speakers for my beater. Their prices are quite low. I was a bit worried. then I checked their eBay store and have over 3000 reviews and 99.5% positive.
Old 11/23/07, 07:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tom281
I managed an audio/video store for six or seven years after getting out of school...... I prefer and we always used butt connectors. Faster/easier than soldering, much more reliable than Scotch-locks or T-style locks. This is assuming you have the correct style of crimpers.
They Tom, are there any specific brand of connectors I should get? And which tools should I use? Again, I never installed a radio in a car, and I'm really looking forward to doing this. Thanks for the help.
Old 11/23/07, 01:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now to through a monkey wrench into the works....

The Z2 does announce street names.
Old 11/23/07, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Dougxox

Thats pretty cool. Now about you pay the difference between the D3 and Z2 for me as my holiday gift.
Old 11/23/07, 03:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox

LOL, for $1799 the Z2 should do that.
Old 11/23/07, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

They Tom, are there any specific brand of connectors I should get? And which tools should I use? Again, I never installed a radio in a car, and I'm really looking forward to doing this. Thanks for the help.

For the extra cash this may not be a bad idea.... :

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...CRIMPKT&tp=990

Also the "crimp caps" shown in the kit work very well too.
Old 11/23/07, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Jeff,
I was looking at this unit too. Once you get yours installed maybe you can help me install mine. LOL. I have never installed a radio either.

Question to those that have this unit. Once the new unit is in place, does the input jack inside the center console still work? Aux input. I have my XM Radio that I plug in there and works great with the factory. I probably would install the satelite radio with the D3 but just checking to see if the input jack works.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic D3