05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

New Tru-Billet Products coming SOON

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/09, 09:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
As a true fan of Silverhorse products, I hate to hear you have to go this route. I really liked seeing the previews as new products were in the works. I fully understand though when you have copycat losers getting knockoffs to market so fast, you have to take steps to address the situation.

You might consider recruiting some folks from the Silverhorse customer base as a sort of market research group and require them to sign non-disclosure agreements. That would at least allow you to get some customer feedback during the development process?

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 12/2/09 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12/3/09, 05:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
UPR
Old 12/3/09, 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1
Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
UPR
Man, that sucks Marcello.

I am firm believer in you get what you pay for and will continue my loyalty to SHR as you make nothing but the best
Old 12/3/09, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow, man.. I'm not into bashing company's products so as not to offend those who like their products but, in this case, UPR is asking for it. Every product I've bought from them (back in 2006 when I was a mustang noob) has been junk and I've since replaced (pedals, switch plates, shifter bezel). I can't believe they copy SHR (and probably others) so exaclty and get away with it. Take a look at their fuel door and door handles. First time I saw them I just assumed they were SHR parts that SHR sold to UPR to get wider distribution. I was really taken back when I found out they were knock-offs. Just shameless!

Anyway.. I'm in for some door lock pockets in satin. Any thought into different designs for the lock pins themselves? As always, I love your quality but in this case I'm looking for lock pin that doesn't have the big head on it (sorta like the stock ones). Oh wait, thanks to the clowns at UPR, I guess you wouldn't want to answer that question.
Old 12/3/09, 10:58 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
As a true fan of Silverhorse products, I hate to hear you have to go this route. I really liked seeing the previews as new products were in the works. I fully understand though when you have copycat losers getting knockoffs to market so fast, you have to take steps to address the situation.

You might consider recruiting some folks from the Silverhorse customer base as a sort of market research group and require them to sign non-disclosure agreements. That would at least allow you to get some customer feedback during the development process?
Sign me up!
Old 12/3/09, 12:05 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys for the kind words - it does mean a lot.

I definitely will look at a "research group" of customers that we can trust to add input to new product designs, so that we can continue to have a good relationship and put out a product that meets not only our goals, but also incorporates the best ideas from our customers as well.

Here's another I just saw today - now they are called "Tru-Billet" too - of course we own the rights to that name (registered internet site even) so there are going to be attorneys involved in this one, based upon the language used to describe them. It's just sad that the stamped covers were "the best" for 3 years until we got ours to market, then within 6 months this one comes out? What a bunch of crap. Our version is shown installed on a customer-submitted photo, theirs is shown as the pair... The funny part is we could've done a two-piece for less money, but decided to do a 1 piece replacement. So they are selling a 2 piece replacement that has not gone through finishing (anodizing or plating) for about the same money as us when we have easily another 30.00 in cost in the pair - so I again ask - who are they serving by doing this?

Joe, if you're reading this, you're not going to win this fight. We're here for the long haul, and since we make our parts in-house from our own designs, you'll always be chasing our tail...
Attached Images   

Last edited by SilverHorse-----Racing; 12/3/09 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12/3/09, 12:17 PM
GT Member

Honestly, I saw this a few days ago on UPR's website. They just suck. Everything I've ever bought from them has been crap. My favorite of course is where they advertise that a certain chrome accent or highlight goes on in five minutes "with the adhesive backing" and then the part arrives without said adhesive backing. Scott Drake is a close second in the "suckage" department. Their only saving grace is that they don't copy other people, they come up with junk completely on their own.

The only two companies I've ever found who actually produce quality appearance parts for a Mustang interior are Silverhorse Racing and Action Artistry.
Old 12/3/09, 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

We use "confidentiality agreements" all the time in my industry and it works great! We can get great customer input without laying all our cards on the table for our competitors.

I recently read about their "new" billet tensioner which ended up being a direct copy of the one from Thump RRR... and it was funny to see how fast one vendor who was advertising this product quickly pulled it once the truth came out.

Last edited by Doogie; 12/3/09 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12/3/09, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Aw man, they copied the switch plates too!? I guess when UPR says "innovative bolt styling" they really mean how innovativly fast they can boldly rip off others' style.
Old 12/3/09, 01:12 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Doogie
We use "confidentiality agreements" all the time in my industry and it works great! We can get great customer input without laying all our cards on the table for our competitors.

I recently read about their "new" billet tensioner which ended up being a direct copy of the one from Thump RRR... and it was funny to see how fast one vendor who was advertising this product quickly pulled it once the truth came out.
We do CA's too for a lot of stuff in-house or with our dealers, but we really enjoyed coming to the forums, and getting group input and feedback while at the same time letting people in on pre-orders and things like that. You could even say we were proud to announce these things as we were developing them, and of course telling the story of how we design and make them from start to finish as the threads moved along. Now, that's just not going to be possible because you can see the result is above. Since we're not subbing out our manufacturing, we have to schedule new product in along with existing runs, so it takes more time for us sometimes than if we just called a job shop that had nothing going on (which there are a lot of) and had them spool up 20-50 sets just to get something on the shelf.

Just stinks as I have been coming here with new stuff from our very first product, and will miss being able to do that for everyone, myself included.
Old 12/4/09, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Come to think of it, I'm reminded of the Tru-Billet Switch Plate thread when Marcello just got back from SEMA 2008... check this post out: https://themustangsource.com/showthr...66#post5677866
Old 12/12/09, 08:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Thanks guys for the kind words - it does mean a lot.

I definitely will look at a "research group" of customers that we can trust to add input to new product designs, so that we can continue to have a good relationship and put out a product that meets not only our goals, but also incorporates the best ideas from our customers as well.

Old 12/12/09, 09:28 AM
Legacy Tms Member

LOL - sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

/rant on/

We have samples of some of the "offending" clones here, and I think it will merit it's own new page on our website with photos because of all the subtle corner-cutting they do to save a money then charge the same amount (or substantially close) to what we charge for our completely finished and functional pieces. The public really needs to know what they are getting for their money, especially when it is so hard to come by these days...

I don't want to really speak out on these latest copies until we've had our chance to do our homework on them a bit more as more are scheduled to come next week, but from first glance, what people might be saving in up-front costs will definitely cost them on the backside in aggravation, fitment issues, and overall lack of concern about the poor quality of the product they were sold.

It's easy to save on prodution costs of things like our Tru-Billet Switch Plates when you don't use factory-style mounting, make it from 2 pcs. plus common screw/washer hardware instead of one single piece of solid billet, leave visible gaps at mate points, don't bother to do any finishing or DEBURR the part as it comes off the machine, leaving sharp edges and corners for your customers, leaving the tool marks visible (to the point where you can feel them with your fingernail because feedrates were pushed too high) on "A" (visible when installed) surfaces, etc...

Wow, just wow. I can't believe they have the nerve to ask the same kind of money for this embarrassment that is trying to be passed off as a competitive piece to ours. Maybe if it was 40-50.00 less, then I could see their target market, but this is supposed to be comparable to ours? Heck, it's not like they couldn't just copy our part exactly, unless of course profit margin was a larger concern for them than the quality of what they sold their customers. I imagine the way they machined this they saved at least 10 minutes per piece in machining costs, and since they have to outsource their production, every second counts. Even then though, why not just bite the bullet and make a clone that at least holds the switches correctly?

I will give them credit for one thing though - when you take postage-stamp sized photos of your parts and put them next to ours, it's intentionally difficult to tell the difference. Hold the two pieces in your hand side-by-side, and you'd have to be blind not to be able to see the difference.

/rant off/

In other news

Our lock pockets have been leaving for finishing, and due to the holiday crunch for time expereinced by our chrome platers and anodize shops, it looks like right after the first of the year (or close to it) we will start to get these back in and be able to open up ordering on them for everyone.

Christmas orders are going great, thanks go to everyone for supporting a U.S. manufacturer! Please be aware that a few of the most popular pieces have actually sold out, and restock is going to be close to if not slightly after Christmas. So if there's something on a wish list you are looking for, now would be a good time to try and scoop it up before it sells out too (I had a crazy dream the other night that we came in and even the pallet shelving sold leaving like three small boxes in a corner!!)
Old 12/12/09, 10:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
I had a crazy dream the other night that we came in and even the pallet shelving sold leaving like three small boxes in a corner!!
Lets hope your dream comes true

Marcello's reaction the day after Christmas = " where did it all go???" Sold!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12/12/09, 10:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, I am late to this tread but I want to thank you for making a great product and doing it here in the US of A! I have always hated UPR and one can tell they are no more than rip off artisits by checking out their page. Keep up the good work and customers will ALWAYS lean towards quality, especially when products are very similar in price.
Old 12/12/09, 02:24 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Lets hope your dream comes true

Merry Christmas!
We're hoping! Actually, we've been very busy the past couple weeks, looks as though things might be improving. Dealers have been taking in a lot of pieces, and of course Christmas ordering is keeping our FedEx guy busy, not to mention we just shipped the CJ order to Ford yesterday via truck freight so they can assemble the Cobra Jets in the next couple weeks

Merry Christmas to you too Doug - haven't heard from you in a little while!
Old 12/12/09, 04:16 PM

Are you doing early orders on the lock pockets like you did the switchplate covers???
Old 12/12/09, 04:22 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Still haven't heard from our finishers what their costs are going to be, so it's difficult to do that without possibly shooting ourselves in the foot, so to speak. They are busy this time of year as well, and have holiday closings, etc.. to deal with.

The other costs are all nailed down, so it's just a matter of knowing this # and we'll be able to price them. We probably won't do a pre-order on these, but we'll do an introductory price for the first week or two that they are available. We'll take care of everyone
Old 12/12/09, 06:06 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Marcello,
you guys make the topshelf stuff, the knockoffs will always play follow the leader, but never catch up...wether you release before or after a show, they will always be scrambling...might as well keep being 'first to press'- its something to be proud of- plus it will keep their quality down: I'm sure you scrutinize everything, where more likely they just say 'see this- make it' to the lowest bidder shop in timbuktu...
if the copies are offshore stuff, wonder if sending a few samples/dates to your congressman might rattle some cages...American companies keep getting slammed by chinese copies, yet they still import the crap by the ton, and 'our' government dont seem to care- we all know it goes on, all hate the way they do it, yet nothing happens.
Who was it 'QQ' motors that copied the chevy colorado pickup, with a cloned mercedes engine in it- yet 'China is our friend' seems to be our economic policy, and NAFTA was 'good for us' is still something they believe- or are paid to say they do. Our government needs to start working for us instead of them.
Tim
Old 12/12/09, 06:35 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
diidnt see there was more than one page to this thread...wow another 'tru-billet' source huh? thats just sad.

I dont have any of their stuff, but have seen enough ads out there ..good to hear all the opinions from folks that bought their stuff- I know whose stuff to avoid buying for sure

hard to have much respect for those that try to copy/sell the work of others as if it was their own ideas.

Quick Reply: New Tru-Billet Products coming SOON