Notices
05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang

Old 4/5/19, 09:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Jim do you remember exactly what is needed? I have been talking to the guy on FB from where that photo is from. He mentioned that the unit requires an amplifier, which powers up the HU & without it it won't even turn on.

Well, mine did power up and functioned, just the sound was completely muted without an amplifier.

He also mentioned that a Sat antenna off a newer model F150 is needed as it is a dual band Sat antenna Sirius radio and Nav data. A Sync unit is needed as well as well as a special wire harness for the radio, Amp, Sync, and USB port.
A steering wheel off the newer Stang that have sync controls will need some rewiring to get everything to work, wiper delay, turn signals and sync controls.

Never got that far, but a Sync module shouldn't be an issue to hook up. I have an extra from a 2010 Mustang.

Now my question is since I already have things like Sync, a newer steering wheel (plus proper buttons), microphone and whatnot for the one I currently have, couldn't I just reuse everything for the newer one?

As long as the sync is of the same vintage, I don't see why not.

Oh before I forget, he also mentioned that his Nav unit did not require reprogramming of the radio.

Btw why did you sell it? Was it not worth it or it didnt work out for you?

When I discovered I needed an amp, I just shelved it, and then I sold teh car to my brother. He never had any interest in upgrading, so I sold the unit. I went on to do similar types of mods to my newer Mustang.

Bob I look forward to what 4dTech says.

I do remember that they said they no longer supprt the S197, but let's see.
The following users liked this post:
VGMStudios (4/9/19)
Old 4/5/19, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010 View Post
Jim do you remember exactly what is needed? I have been talking to the guy on FB from where that photo is from. He mentioned that the unit requires an amplifier, which powers up the HU & without it it won't even turn on.

Well, mine did power up and functioned, just the sound was completely muted without an amplifier.

He also mentioned that a Sat antenna off a newer model F150 is needed as it is a dual band Sat antenna Sirius radio and Nav data. A Sync unit is needed as well as well as a special wire harness for the radio, Amp, Sync, and USB port.
A steering wheel off the newer Stang that have sync controls will need some rewiring to get everything to work, wiper delay, turn signals and sync controls.

Never got that far, but a Sync module shouldn't be an issue to hook up. I have an extra from a 2010 Mustang.

Now my question is since I already have things like Sync, a newer steering wheel (plus proper buttons), microphone and whatnot for the one I currently have, couldn't I just reuse everything for the newer one?

As long as the sync is of the same vintage, I don't see why not.

Oh before I forget, he also mentioned that his Nav unit did not require reprogramming of the radio.

Btw why did you sell it? Was it not worth it or it didnt work out for you?

When I discovered I needed an amp, I just shelved it, and then I sold teh car to my brother. He never had any interest in upgrading, so I sold the unit. I went on to do similar types of mods to my newer Mustang.

Bob I look forward to what 4dTech says.

I do remember that they said they no longer supprt the S197, but let's see.
Brad simply said they do not make the electronics for this conversion anymore.

I got too say I'm surprised, I figured once I bought a Mustang the aftermarket would have absolutely everything for it.

Last edited by bobs69; 4/6/19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 4/9/19, 07:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks Jim for the answers.
Old 4/13/19, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
I'm not sure how much this is costing you guys... but for $1400 you can get the Pioneer AVIC-Z1, which is a MUCH better unit and sounds great.

I had my Shaker1000 ripped out, but there is an interface for the Shaker system, and it's not too expensive, either.

See attached pics:
What is that digital display between your vents?

Your system looks pretty good.

I'd still prefer a factory look, but yours does look good.
Old 4/17/19, 08:48 PM

I actually just finished my install of a 2010 Lincoln mkx navi unit into my 2007 mustang. I've had the parts bought for a couple years now but just rebuilt the car from being wrecked. The newer style units need a external amp and harness to make it work. I used an external amp from an expedition and part of the wiring harness to make a t-harness to make it all work. I reprogrammed the Lincoln radio to a Ford radio myself. I will be installing the newer steering wheel with controls this weekend after the airbag recall is taking care of, and will be adding sync and turning backup camera feature on the radio on. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by Farris; 4/17/19 at 08:49 PM.
Old 5/7/19, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Farris View Post
I actually just finished my install of a 2010 Lincoln mkx navi unit into my 2007 mustang. I've had the parts bought for a couple years now but just rebuilt the car from being wrecked. The newer style units need a external amp and harness to make it work. I used an external amp from an expedition and part of the wiring harness to make a t-harness to make it all work. I reprogrammed the Lincoln radio to a Ford radio myself. I will be installing the newer steering wheel with controls this weekend after the airbag recall is taking care of, and will be adding sync and turning backup camera feature on the radio on. Sorry for the long post.
wow this is awesome. would you happen to have pics? or numbers? I managed to get a nav unit from an 2011 expedition myself but not sure what amp I need.
How did you reprogram it yourself? Do you have pics of the t-harness?
Old 5/7/19, 02:04 PM

To reprogram I used a program called Forscan. Works almost like the vcm program. You can change built as data on most items that the system can read. The issue I had was that it could not read the ACM(radio) in my 2007 GT. So I had to program it while in a vehicle that would have came with the Clarion unit. I looked up the as built data for a 2009 or 2010 expedition and changed the ACM values. This fixed the max volume issue I was having. On the wiring and the amp, I will get the numbers this week when I install and wire up my ambient console since the amp and working runs under it.
Old 5/9/19, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Farris View Post
To reprogram I used a program called Forscan. Works almost like the vcm program. You can change built as data on most items that the system can read. The issue I had was that it could not read the ACM(radio) in my 2007 GT. So I had to program it while in a vehicle that would have came with the Clarion unit. I looked up the as built data for a 2009 or 2010 expedition and changed the ACM values. This fixed the max volume issue I was having. On the wiring and the amp, I will get the numbers this week when I install and wire up my ambient console since the amp and working runs under it.
Thanks so much Farris, I look forward to seeing your reply and getting this working in my car. Ill have to look up this Forscan program you mentioned. Sounds very interesting.