05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/08, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
data174

I called Bob Utter Ford to get the part number for the cluster, it is for a V6 so I don't think it will do you any good. I ordered the Speed Sensors, when I get them installed I'll let you know if they work.

John
Old 4/29/08, 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wht05vert

It looks like you are going to complete this project before I will. I am still waiting for ups to deliver the pakage from H&H after progamming, delivery of the wheel sensors have not arrived,and I have not ordered the cluster.
Hope everything works out.I'll be crossing my fingers.

Thanks Al
Old 4/29/08, 05:08 PM

Has anyone been able to get the Ford Navigation Unit to work with the Shaker-1000 sub box in the trunk by having the Nav Unit reprogrammed?

Last edited by jrys; 4/29/08 at 05:09 PM.
Old 4/30/08, 06:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

wht05vert
I received my radio from H&H, I still have the B2477 and B2473 when I run diagnostics. I also received the speed sensors, I will try to install the sensors by this Saturday. I finally ordered my cluster it should be arriving in about 10 days.
I sent KC an email on information I found on the MS CAN network on the 04,05,06,07and 08 in the Mustangs. It looks like ford did not switch to the MS CAN 100% until the 2007 and 2008 Models.
What next ?
Cheers Al
Old 5/1/08, 07:30 AM

data174
When I ordered the sensors, the parts guy said that the front sensors had a new revision date of January 2008, and the rears back in 2006. He was the same guy I bought the spedo from and was aware of the build date issue.

When the parts arrive, (one set was back ordered) I'll post the part numbers, I don't know if they will be unique to the V6 or not.
Old 5/1/08, 07:50 AM
Cobra Member

I wonder if someone tried the wheel sensors before installing the dash to see if that is the only problem.
Old 5/1/08, 10:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

302svt

I am going to install the speed sensors first and see what happens. My cluster is on order and should be arriving in 10 days. Also spoke with Will at H&H he is having the same problems with some installs. He said he would keep me informed.

Cheers
Old 5/1/08, 03:04 PM

Data174
The following are the part numbers for the sensors they sent me:
7R3Z-2C190-A
7R3Z-2C204-A

I won't get them in until this weekend, I'll let you know what happens
Old 5/1/08, 05:59 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm really interested to see. If the speed sensors alone work, I'll do that. If I have to change out the dash too, I probably won't.

Think you can do a Tacobill style write-up on the sensor install?
Old 5/1/08, 06:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

wht05vert
Hi John
I received the wheel sensors today. The numbers that you posted are the same as the sensors I received.
I decided that it was time to install them and I did. It will take you approximately two hours, 1/2 hour per wheel. It is almost pnp. I suggest, to make installation easier, remove the wheels, that makes it more accessible to the area you will be working on.
Front wheels are a little bit harder to install than the fronts. The sensors are held in place by one bolt I thinks 10mm. You will have to work the old sensors out slowly. The new sensor go inn with no problem. I guess you want me to tell you if it worked. NO!
Good Luck Al
Old 5/2/08, 05:00 PM

The nav system still displays the error message after changing both the spedo and wheel sensors.

I think this is the end of my science project. The Nav system was $1200, the Spedo $230, the Sensors $140 and I just paid Ford to install the sensors for $210 for a grand total of $1,780.

Just for the record, the subject of this experiment was a 2005 V6 convertible built in April of 2005, 15,000 miles. ( we only use it in the summer on sunny days)

Good Luck
Old 5/2/08, 07:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

wht05vert
Hi John
Sorry that it did not work. I can't cancel my cluster order so,I will go with the installation when it arrives. I have been on the internet looking for the B2477 failure code I get, but I get different results. The B2473 speed control error is still showing up.
I will keep you posted. Al
Old 5/2/08, 08:28 PM

Al,

As one last gesture, tomorrow I'll disconnect the car's battery and re-boot the whole car and see if that resets anything.

For what it's worth the guy I bought my cluster from (Bob Utter Ford) said the cluster was returnable as long as I didn't put any miles on it.

Best of luck to you

John
Old 5/5/08, 12:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Shaker 1000 Update!

OK Guys, I finally installed my newly re-programmed NAV unit that I received from KC's new programmer.

For those of you tuning into the series late, here is what has happened to date:

A year ago I bought my factory NAV from Kevin Casey at Clevenger Ford. He assured me that he was able to get Shaker 1000 - compatible NAV units, even if Ford doesn't provide them. I got mine, and it did not work. There was a speed error as well as the fact that it sounded like a 1980's vintage AM radio. Coming from my Shaker 1000, that was a shock.

We noodled around with the speed error, and I decided that it was no big deal. you press the OK button, the error disappears, and no harm no foul from that point. All functions work. The only sticking point was that the sound quality sucked.

KC had a hell of a time with his programmer, who eventually disappeared. KC got a new programmer a few months ago, so I went ahead and sent my NAV unit back to KC (who forwarded it on to Maine) for reprogramming. I got it back a couple of weeks ago, and installed it this past weekend.

THE RESULT:

The reprogrammed NAV unit DOES NOT RUN THE SHAKER 1000 SUBWOOFER AT ALL. Not only that, but the door subs are over-biased so that any volume notch above four or so causes them to distort quite badly.

I give up. I'm calling KC tomorrow and getting rid of this albatross. I really, really like this factory NAV unit and don't want to go elsewhere. For that reason I tried to deal with it for a YEAR to see if the situation could be fixed. I don't like my factory radio. But for $2k I expect that NAV to run my Shaker 1000 subwoofer system and sound the same, if not better, than my original radio. It does not - therefore grade: FAIL.

I'm done. Unit is already boxed up and now I'll need to contact KC to see how to get rid of it. To all of you guys reading this: do NOT use the factory NAV with the Shaker 1000! It does NOT work.

P.S. - this is not to say in any way that it is KC's fault! He has been WONDERFUL to deal with, and he has my vote for a solid, stand up, honest guy, and my future business.

Last edited by mrkabc; 5/5/08 at 12:16 AM.
Old 5/5/08, 06:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

mrkabc

I have the shaker 500 and when I installed the nav unit after programing, everything worked, except for the speed error and configuration failure. The subwoofer has improved with the nav radio. I am still waitng for the new cluster to arrive, wheel sensors have been installed. I still get the error messages on the dtc.
Wht05vert installed both, and is still getting the error message.
I guess that when ford said the shaker 1000 was not compatible they were correct.

Cheers
Old 5/7/08, 03:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

wht05vert
Hi John

I have a question for you. Did you have the old cluster scanned and uploaded into the new cluster. I thought I saw your thread that said you installed the new cluster and everything worked fine.

Thanks Al
Old 5/8/08, 07:38 AM

Al,

When I bought the new cluster, they asked me the exact mileage on the old one.

When it arrived it had my current mileage. I pulled the old cluster, plugged in the new one and the spedo and gauges worked fine.

I next took the Mustang to the Lincoln dealer that works on my other cars. They had the car for a month (sent it back detailed!), with the explanation that "Ford doesn't recommend this upgrade".

They had focused on software issues, and when I got the car back the throttle lag that plagued the car since new was gone, and it had a "backup beep" emanating from the radio whenever it is in reverse.

I asked them to turn off he backup beeper, and they said that with the car's updated firmware and the Nav radio, you get the beep.

John
Old 5/8/08, 11:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

wht05vert
Hi John
Thats interesting because all the other threads say that it should programmed at the dealer. I was aware that the new cluster would be programmed with the mileage and vin number. If you get a chance run your diagnostics and see if the reverse parking aid was configured.

Cheers Al
Old 5/8/08, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after reading all this I bought a TomTom and stuck it on my windshield.
Old 5/9/08, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stormbringer
after reading all this I bought a TomTom and stuck it on my windshield.

I started out with a Garmin stuck to my windshield.

A few months ago I dropped by my nephew's house to drop something off, when I came out 15 min later there was a brick on the passenger seat, the window had exploded all over the car and I no longer had a GPS.

Quick Reply: Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang