05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2008 Mustang Factory Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/09, 09:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2008 Mustang Factory Navigation System

Have any of our forum members purchased and installed the factory ford navigation system and installed it in your car with a shaker 1000 audio system after market.

I am interested in this after purchase modification, if you have a story to tell or been through this tell me how it went. Can it be done and was it difficult.

Thanks in advance...GG
Old 11/6/09, 05:08 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a Ford Nav unit to replace my Shaker 500 right after purchasing my '08, and it was pretty straightforward. Everything works properly including the door subs. However, I understand the Nav is not compatible with the rear subs in the Shaker 1000 (which I think is the only difference with a 500). A couple of years ago there was a lot of chatter here about trying to find a way to program the Nav so that it would work in a Shaker 1000 system, but none were successful. All those posts were lost in the crash, alas. If you're willing to abandon the rear subs, I think you can enjoy the other benefits of the Nav, but it seems you can't have both.

=Vic=
Old 11/6/09, 05:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
viv how expensive was it, I reaaly didn't want the subs, thw car was ordered this way GG
Old 11/6/09, 08:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Beargap
I installed a Ford Nav unit to replace my Shaker 500 right after purchasing my '08, and it was pretty straightforward. Everything works properly including the door subs. However, I understand the Nav is not compatible with the rear subs in the Shaker 1000 (which I think is the only difference with a 500). A couple of years ago there was a lot of chatter here about trying to find a way to program the Nav so that it would work in a Shaker 1000 system, but none were successful. All those posts were lost in the crash, alas. If you're willing to abandon the rear subs, I think you can enjoy the other benefits of the Nav, but it seems you can't have both.

=Vic=
What was the part # of the Nav unit you ordered?
Old 11/7/09, 06:18 AM
GT Member

Alas, I do not recall the part number of the radio, but I bought it from an eBay seller. It was a new Nav unit, never installed (still had the protective sticker on the face), and came with a GPS antenna, but no map disk. It was the '08 version with the silver rings around the dials and cost around $650. I am pretty sure Ford used the same radio in all of their vehicles with the same dash cutout at that time, but the radio is programmed to recognize different features of various vehicles. The radio is self-contained, but interfaces with the amps used for the door subs in a Shaker 500. I believe the following year a similar radio with different features was installed in the Escape. That radio used a hard disk, I think, and required an outboard amp plus the amp for the subs. In mine, the radio plugged right in to the same connectors that the Shaker 500 used.

Programming costs ranged from $100-$150 at the places I checked. At the Time Chicago Sound was running regular eBay posts for that service and turned the radio around in a day for about $100. If you buy a radio that came out of another vehicle, you could try and see if the existing program works in your car. Things to look for are whether the door subs and speed sensor work and the instrument lights operate with the rest of the car. Map disks range in prices from $25-$180 depending on the version (2P is about the oldest I've seen, 8P was just released this summer) and the seller. The map disks don't change much from version to version, though, so you could save some money at the start. The disks are installed in a separate DVD drive that is behind the front panel.

=Vic=
Old 11/8/09, 10:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are set on factory nav I would look at the 2010 units from other Fords. See this thread for details

http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=27837

The poster states the only issue he is having is with DVDs playing. You would probably need something to split the amp signal to the rear amps and subs though since you have the Shaker 1000.