05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/09, 04:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Ah the fix, the reason you got low volume is because the 09 unit does not have any built in amps. The solution is to add a 4chanel aftermarket amp to the wiring. A 300w 4chanel amp should more than be acceptable. The only thing left would be activating the shaker subs.
IF you are right, then it will absolutely work with all features, as it worked just fine in my 05. BUT I take no responsibility if it does not work. Maybe the amp unit from an Escape then?

Only problem then will be that the buttons light up in ice blue - not the puke green. Could always get Deric here on the forums to fix that?

I am thinking of getting the nav unit for my 06. BUT I dont really want the nav unit operational,,, just the touch screen gadgets and everything else that you get with it. I know by reading the posts that there is an issue with an error screen upon start up. Can these units have just the GPS disabled, and leave everything else functional?
You can't disable the nav function. Why bother anyway? If it is in the car and you have a nav disc in it, it will work just fine.

Cheers
Old 1/9/09, 03:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
IF you are right, then it will absolutely work with all features, as it worked just fine in my 05. BUT I take no responsibility if it does not work. Maybe the amp unit from an Escape then?

Only problem then will be that the buttons light up in ice blue - not the puke green. Could always get Deric here on the forums to fix that?

Cheers
I really dont care about the blue buttons. I can swap the oem buttons to blue to match if I find it too annoying.

Do you happen to have the part number for the 09 unit you used?
Old 3/16/10, 02:16 PM

The error you get with this unit and the 2005 Mustang is not a programming issue - but a hardware issue. The later model Fords use a dedicated pin (14) in its wiring harness which is linked to the Vehicle Speed Signal Circuit. The head unit is expecting to receive that information on pin 14 - but the 2005 Mustang does not appear to have this pin in its PCM harness. This is why the unit is throwing the U2473 error code as the signal is not where it expects it. The unit still receives the speed input via a network signal, but not on pin 14 as expected. So in short - No Speed Input on pin 14 = Error.
Old 6/9/10, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

So, I"ve read through this, and what's the sense of the board about a Factory Nav unit and a Shaker 1000 in an '08 Buillitt?
Old 6/9/10, 09:19 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
So, I"ve read through this, and what's the sense of the board about a Factory Nav unit and a Shaker 1000 in an '08 Buillitt?
The Nav unit (which I like very much, BTW, and replaced a Shaker 500 in my '08 GT 2 years ago) will not support the rear amp and subwoofer. It does support the front amps and subs, so if you're OK with that...do it! Maybe you can sell the rear stuff and gain some trunk space.

=Vic=
Old 6/9/10, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I really hate that. I'd love to have a nav unit, and Factory stuff, to me, is so much cleaner than aftermarket.
Old 6/9/10, 04:22 PM

I got the new 2010 nav system to work on my 05 , the only thing the nav works with the sat singnal so it jumps from pic up to pic up of signal ,the 05 dont have speed sensors conected to the stereo thats why. Pic of the stereo.
Old 6/9/10, 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The nav radio I installed on my 07 has been trouble free with no error codes for over three years. It has been the only "plug and play mod" I have done that didnt have issues.
Anyone know what's the current nav dvd is? I have the 6P installed

Old 6/10/10, 06:35 AM
GT Member

The current map is 8P. They seem to come out each summer, so 9P may be due in a couple of months. I went from 6P to 8P last year, and the changes were notable in my rural area. On 6P the Nav would display local roads in yellow and not give turn-by-turn as they hadn't checked the maps, I guess. They were all accurate (save one non-existant road that was displayed), but that all was cleared up on 8P. OTOH, nav directions into east TN (where we visit at least annually) went from straight directions into town on I-40 to calling for a bypass around Knoxville, even though the roads are fine. There was heavy construction there in 2008 and I wonder if that is taken into account on the map updates.

=Vic=
Old 7/13/10, 09:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by USMC0341
The nav radio I installed on my 07 has been trouble free with no error codes for over three years. It has been the only "plug and play mod" I have done that didnt have issues.
Anyone know what's the current nav dvd is? I have the 6P installed

So does that mean I can install a factory nav in my 07' Shelby and have zero issues?
Old 7/13/10, 10:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
As an 07, it is likely you won't have the speed error. But even if you do, it really means nothing. The nav just tracks your movement throught he satellites. It is an issue if you are in a tunnel or something. Then it will show that you car isn't moving, but then correct itself when a signal is re-established,
Old 7/14/10, 06:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cubican
I got the new 2010 nav system to work on my 05 , the only thing the nav works with the sat singnal so it jumps from pic up to pic up of signal ,the 05 dont have speed sensors conected to the stereo thats why. Pic of the stereo.
Does your 2010 unit use a hard drive instead of CD changers? How are map updates done, does it use the same map DVD and behind-the-faceplate slot as the earlier Nav unit?

=Vic=
Old 7/14/10, 08:17 AM

Yes is hard drive you can down load a ton ,10g of memory. as for the nav no disc needed.
Old 11/10/10, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by cubican
Hi. What du you mean by "jumps from pic up to pic up of signal"?
As soon as I understood 05+ shall have speed sensors, and the J1 connector has vehicle speed pin #14. Who did the installation for you?

Do you have pinout of J2 connector? What is the meaning of connector similar to GPS antenna connector? or maybe you have datasheet for the headunit?

Did you manage to activate rearview cam with this headunit?

How do you like sound quality?

Another questuion I got, did you flash the head unit with your VIN? Did it come new with no previous VIN, or with previous VIN lock removed?

Awaiting for your vailuble comments, as you are one of the first peope who install new head unit into Mustang. Thank You!
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang-fordavicxd1057pin-.jpg  

Last edited by koss; 11/10/10 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11/13/10, 03:03 PM

The stereo that I got is out of a 09 explorer ,and it had the camara on. I just find a plug to go in the center conector that was it. On the 05 we had different systems for the speed censor,is not in the computer so the stereo and our car computer are not comunicating to one or the other. The GPS singnal is picked up by the sat with out the aide of the speed sensor, so it jump from point to point.
Old 2/8/11, 04:28 PM

Hi

i just bought a Factory nav Unit for my mustang GT 05. I just read all issues that you guys came through with this retrofit. I'm thinking of trying this gadget I found about 05-06 cars without VSS on pin 14 for the Nav system.
http://ifar.ca/en/products/flash/can-vss/
The think that keep me thinking is that tech support told me:
The CAN-VSS reads the vehicles CAN-Bus to determine the vehicles speed and sends a square-wave output at 4000 PPM (Pulses Per Mile) at the White/Black wire.

I dont know what type of signal the Factory Nav expect in the pin 14. Do you have any idea

Thanks
Ruben
Old 10/25/11, 06:44 PM

Anybody got this fixed yet ?
Old 8/3/12, 03:00 PM

Any further updates on this? I have my 05 GT shaker 500 begging for an in Dash Nav system and I was wanting to Put a factory in it. I saw the link posted 2 posts ago and wondered if anyone tried this yet as it was posted last year. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Old 8/23/17, 10:20 AM

OK, hate digging up old threads again...

was still wanting to put something factory looking into my 05 GT and was wondering if anyone has tried putting a nav system from a 06 Freestyle or even if the pinouts are the same? im like a dog with a bone in this thread. found one for 200 on ebay and was wondering if it would work. anyone have the pinouts for the freestyle?
Old 8/23/17, 08:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Col.Hogan
OK, hate digging up old threads again...

was still wanting to put something factory looking into my 05 GT and was wondering if anyone has tried putting a nav system from a 06 Freestyle or even if the pinouts are the same? im like a dog with a bone in this thread. found one for 200 on ebay and was wondering if it would work. anyone have the pinouts for the freestyle?
You can use the Freestar head in your 05. Do you have a Shaker head or the CD6? I ask, because the shaker one has everything hooked up, ready to use the navi head. I'm not sure on the 05 with the base radio. I've not run one of those, but I do believe they are the same.

Put your GPS antenna on the shelf behind the radio head for the best and evenest centering signal. You may need the CR20 antenna cable, if you antenna won't plug in. It is actually listed as a Chrysler antenna plug, thus the CR letter code. Other than that, you should be good to go. I've done a number of these swaps, but never into an 05 Stang. Anyway you look at it, it will work, even if there is not constant power wire in your radio J1 plug. You can always add that. We had to on an 04 and 05 F150. Have fun. It's a simple, quick swap. AK

Quick Reply: Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang