05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Trufiber Gts2

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/07, 10:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150PONY
The pics are too small... cant wait till tomorrow......
Haha, sorry
Old 11/20/07, 10:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Any comment from the body shop about the prep on the hood?
did it req lots of work or average like any fiberglass?
did you have any hood flutter?

thnx
Old 11/20/07, 11:20 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Not liking those either Robello. I guess I'm stuck with pins and cables for now. I'm thinking the Shelby billet/stainless set because they are supposed to resist rust. What do you think?
if ur going to go with the other kind then yes I would get something that doesnt rust and one of the more durable ones, Ive seen a lot of flimsy looking ones that look like crap. I like the simple race pins because they are the least intrusive to the look, not super big, no chain, and look racey IMO

oh and PS, in case there is any thoughts to the contrary. The only reason I mentioned the lifting with the GTS2 was because others were discussing it and I thought Id lend my experience to the mix, since I am one of the few on here with the hood and Im probably the one that has driven with it the most and for a good distance at interstate speeds....not to bash anyone.
Old 11/21/07, 03:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My stock hood lifts pretty good at higher sustained speeds, so it isn't just fiberglass that does it. However, it doesn't flutter or shake, it just lifts up and you can see the difference along the sides of the hood in comparison to the front fenders. That is why I was wondering of the vents on some of the hoods on the rear would dissipate some of that pressure under the hood. I've dialed out the front rubber bumpers a tad but I don't want it to lift too far and ruin the lines. I think I may keep my stock hood, but just add hood pins and cross my fingers that someday somebody makes an aluminum hood.
Old 11/21/07, 05:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5150PONY
Any comment from the body shop about the prep on the hood?
did it req lots of work or average like any fiberglass?
did you have any hood flutter?

thnx
I really haven't gotten it up to good speeds. I got the car late in the evening and had to go home ASAP for other reasons. Today I'll keep an eye on the hood.

The only thing he stressed about the hood was the amount of pinholes he had to fix. He said there was ALOT or work to be done there. Then the avg air bubbles and air pockets that needed filling. But he mentioned several times amount of work needed to find all air bubbles.
Old 11/21/07, 09:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Small update: I took the car up to 60-65mph today on the street over a bridge with decent winds and... Not the slightest movement. Least nothing out of the ordinary. Tomorrow I may take it on the interstate and hit 80 and see how she holds up.
Old 11/21/07, 10:02 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by rrobello
if ur going to go with the other kind then yes I would get something that doesnt rust and one of the more durable ones, Ive seen a lot of flimsy looking ones that look like crap. I like the simple race pins because they are the least intrusive to the look, not super big, no chain, and look racey IMO

oh and PS, in case there is any thoughts to the contrary. The only reason I mentioned the lifting with the GTS2 was because others were discussing it and I thought Id lend my experience to the mix, since I am one of the few on here with the hood and Im probably the one that has driven with it the most and for a good distance at interstate speeds....not to bash anyone.
I was sticking up for you.Someone else mentioned bashing
Old 11/21/07, 10:09 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Redfire 05Gt
The ones you don't like the look of!
Actually,Daniel,I think I will get those.I think I was confused with the black ones. Anyways ,even though they are stainless,do you notice anything discoloring? They look good and no cables to boot They look nice on your ride
Old 11/21/07, 11:55 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

I was sticking up for you.Someone else mentioned bashing
I know, I just want to clarify for others just in case
Old 11/22/07, 07:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Took some pictures on my girlfriends digital camara. I'll try and have her upload it tomorrow. It was rainy so dont expect alot till the weather clears up some.

Anyways, took her on the highway doing just 80(ish) with strong winds and the hood just fluttered some. But Im not suprised and it was nothing outta the normal. On my way home tonight no winds doing 80-90 and no movement from the hood. So, I'm pretty happy with the fit. I'll try and post pics ASAP
Old 11/23/07, 01:11 PM
GTR Member

jonathan,did they remove any of the rubber stops?
Old 11/23/07, 01:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

jonathan,did they remove any of the rubber stops?
No, the rubber that is on the sides of the car(uder the hoods edge) were all left there. The hood sits very tight.
Old 11/25/07, 04:40 PM

Finally took the hood out for a high velocity spin this weekend.

My hood starts to flutter at around 60 MPH and reaches max displacement at about 70. It doesn't get any worse above 70. I have all the rubber bumpers in place and the hood is stable up to 60...

I really don't think it's in danger of "flying off" on the highway. It definitely raises to the point where it ruins the smooth lines of the fender-hood transition, however.

So.... it will be hood pins for me to keep the corners down... I'm just not sure which pins I like yet...

Bill
Old 11/25/07, 08:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When mine starts to flutter, it takes the already ruined lines of my warped hood and makes it look like it is going to come flying right off!
I have disconnected the the struts and taken the bumpers out, I think this is hopeless!
Old 11/25/07, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by rrobello
while I wasnt bashing, the one I was speaking of is the Trufiber hood. Mine wasnt done in time for SEMA so we worked something out to put theirs on for the show...last minute. mine I should be getting early January and we will see what happens, I wish I wouldve thought of this issue or seen it before tearing it apart to make the molds so I couldve tested it first.
Now I have to chime in. Sorry, but you are full of crap! Your hood was at Ed's shop before mine was(1 1/2 mos. before SEMA), hardly "last minute", and Ed said it was going to be painted for SEMA. You put the TruFiber hood on with the agreement with Phil that you would put there name on somewhere, since you got the hood for free, but you didn't. Instead, you had Mike's logo across your windshield and didn't have his body parts on your car. You only had Agent47 and TruFiber. You could have kept your stock hood if the TruFiber hood was so inferior, but you told me you really liked it. You were even saying at the Queen Mary show about how great the hood was. Remember sitting and talking with Phil and Brandon and myself? Sorry Rich, but I can't read any more of this BS! I won't go any deeper about things said by parties involved, but your comments don't hold any water!

Scott
Old 11/26/07, 05:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Scotte28516
Now I have to chime in. Sorry, but you are full of crap! Your hood was at Ed's shop before mine was(1 1/2 mos. before SEMA), hardly "last minute", and Ed said it was going to be painted for SEMA. You put the TruFiber hood on with the agreement with Phil that you would put there name on somewhere, since you got the hood for free, but you didn't. Instead, you had Mike's logo across your windshield and didn't have his body parts on your car. You only had Agent47 and TruFiber. You could have kept your stock hood if the TruFiber hood was so inferior, but you told me you really liked it. You were even saying at the Queen Mary show about how great the hood was. Remember sitting and talking with Phil and Brandon and myself? Sorry Rich, but I can't read any more of this BS! I won't go any deeper about things said by parties involved, but your comments don't hold any water!

Scott

Old 11/26/07, 06:55 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Scotte28516

Scott
Old 11/26/07, 08:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The guy I use said that ALL fiberglass hoods need a good amount of work. You get quality workmanship with the body shop,you get good results As far as lifting goes,I've done a lot of research and almost all fiberglass hood need pins. Phil did tell us that for street driving we wouldn't but if I remember correctly,someone said he was mistaken about this before I bought mine. I don't think Robello was bashing.He said his preproduction one was lifting so he could see where we were coming from..Bottom line...GO ALUMINUM
Apparently your guy hasn't dealt with Cervini's hoods. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with their hoods, and prep-work is extremely minimal. My bodyshop guy was very pleased at the quality of parts we brought him, and I've heard the same from others. Not all fiberglass hoods are created equal.

Don't get me wrong, I have NO experience with TruFiber and am not commenting on their quality. Just stating my experiences with Cervini's quality, which relates to the quoted statement.
Old 11/26/07, 10:58 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
Apparently your guy hasn't dealt with Cervini's hoods. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with their hoods, and prep-work is extremely minimal. My bodyshop guy was very pleased at the quality of parts we brought him, and I've heard the same from others. Not all fiberglass hoods are created equal.

Don't get me wrong, I have NO experience with TruFiber and am not commenting on their quality. Just stating my experiences with Cervini's quality, which relates to the quoted statement.
Could very well be.Too bad Cervini doesn't make the exact hood I wanted
Old 11/26/07, 03:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Could very well be.Too bad Cervini doesn't make the exact hood I wanted
+1. Soon as I saw actual pictures of the 68' hood I wasn't too excited. I like smooth lines. But I've heard good stuff from cervini's

Quick Reply: Trufiber Gts2