05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Trufiber Gts2

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/07 | 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by rrobello
as for the ? about the hood shake, it doesnt take much speed at all to start shaking this hood. at 50-60+ mph the hood not only shakes it starts to lift up on both front corners, so much so that while driving from what I can tell it creates a gap along the whole length of the hood, friends driving along side of me say it pulls up A LOT. So I would say that hood pins would be needed.
Rrobello,

Do you have the vents OPEN? or are they covered? I can easily see how pressure would build under the hood with the rain catches ON. But I don't see how upward pressure could build with the vents OPEN...

just curious..

I haven't had mine out on the highway yet - I've been laying low since my arm is in a sling...

Bill
Old 11/18/07 | 04:33 PM
GTR Member

Ok .now i'm getting nervous. I don't want this thing flying off at high speeds and I don't like the hood pins w/ the wire. I do like the twisties on the KR500 though. What are my options?haven't taken off the rain catchers yet.Bill take that thing out and give us a report!
Old 11/18/07 | 05:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Ok .now i'm getting nervous. I don't want this thing flying off at high speeds and I don't like the hood pins w/ the wire. I do like the twisties on the KR500 though. What are my options?haven't taken off the rain catchers yet.Bill take that thing out and give us a report!
Same here, I dont like the hood pins with all those cables. I'm alittle dissapointed if we're going to need hood pins.

Chuck hows yours holding up during your driving?
Old 11/18/07 | 06:17 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Same here, I dont like the hood pins with all those cables. I'm alittle dissapointed if we're going to need hood pins.

Chuck hows yours holding up during your driving?
Just as Robello said. It lifts at the corners. I can see it as I'm driving
Old 11/18/07 | 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by davids2toys
I have no problem with the front of my hood (height) at all, I was getting a little fluttering, I adjusted those for rubber deals out evenly and it tighten right up
I stand corrected, I am fluttering like crazy at 70-80, truthfully, now i am afraid to go any faster...if I adjust those stops any further up, it will raise the hood!!
Old 11/18/07 | 06:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Bmacs1
Rrobello,

Do you have the vents OPEN? or are they covered? I can easily see how pressure would build under the hood with the rain catches ON. But I don't see how upward pressure could build with the vents OPEN...

just curious..

I haven't had mine out on the highway yet - I've been laying low since my arm is in a sling...

Bill
Mine are wide open, this has nothing to do with underhood pressure in my opinion, mine is even doing it more than I am comfortable at 50...YIKES!
Old 11/18/07 | 07:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Anyone talked with Phil or anyone from TruFiber? Why were we told that we wouldn't need hood pins yet you all are telling me that our hoods are doing a crazy number at "normal" driving speeds.

Someone care to answer some questions? ...
Old 11/18/07 | 07:12 PM

Sounds like we have to find a set of hood pins and a bracket setup to make 'em work!! Oh - and they have to look REALLY GOOD, too!!!

Bill
Old 11/18/07 | 07:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

I added fully open '68 Shelby louvers to my Calif Dream hood nearly 2 years ago now and it still lifted at the corners. IMO, it's the air catching the front lip of the hood &/or the general dynamics of the airflow trying to get over it causing it to flap, not the underhood pressure. The fiberglass hood is more flexible than the stock aluminum hood. I added captive style hood pins as I didn't care for the wire style either. I got them from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
Attached Thumbnails Trufiber Gts2-hood-pins.jpg   Trufiber Gts2-hood-spoiler-014.jpg   Trufiber Gts2-hood-spoiler-015.jpg  
Old 11/18/07 | 08:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oh and here's a thread about 71 Mach1 twist lock installation by 05YellowGT
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=70083
Old 11/18/07 | 08:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just remembered spyder7724's latches:
http://www.leonardracingproducts.com/drive02.php
Attached Images   
Old 11/18/07 | 10:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I wonder if the quality of the hood has anything to do with it. I've been reluctant to post anything negative about TruFiber since everyone was so upbeat about their purchases. However, I went over to my paint shop that I use and had a conversation about having them paint a GTS-2 that I was thinking of purchasing. The owner refused to work on any more TruFiber products. The owner of the shop is very familiar with fiberglass parts production and told me that he has done a handful of TruFiber hoods and found that the quality was extremely poor. I am no expert and probably forgot 50% of what he told me as far as the steps needed to produce a quality product. But, he said the result of cutting corners is many small air pockets, lots of flex, uneven lines, and other problems that the paint shops end up fixing if the customer wants the part to look like it belongs on the car. He told me that the shop has to spend so much time fixing all the imperfections, collapsing sections, uneven lines, and holes that it is a losing proposition. He did say Cervini is much higher quality but I really liked the looks of the GTS-2. I am very disappointed that I have to go back to the drawing board for that KR look.

With any company you will find both happy and dissatisfied customers. Sometimes the quality of custom products can vary significantly between each item. It seems some folks are happy with their hoods so far. Or perhaps don't want to admit the negatives they have run into. Nobody likes to admit they made a bad purchase. I would like to see somebody with a Cervini, or other brand, hood pipe up and report on the hood flex at higher speeds as well. I had planned on using pins either on my stock hood, or whatever hood I choose to replace my current one, but I didn't want to have to use them to avoid a hood flying off on the highway...
Old 11/18/07 | 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
I wonder if the quality of the hood has anything to do with it. I've been reluctant to post anything negative about TruFiber since everyone was so upbeat about their purchases. However, I went over to my paint shop that I use and had a conversation about having them paint a GTS-2 that I was thinking of purchasing. The owner refused to work on any more TruFiber products. The owner of the shop is very familiar with fiberglass parts production and told me that he has done a handful of TruFiber hoods and found that the quality was extremely poor. I am no expert and probably forgot 50% of what he told me as far as the steps needed to produce a quality product. But, he said the result of cutting corners is many small air pockets, lots of flex, uneven lines, and other problems that the paint shops end up fixing if the customer wants the part to look like it belongs on the car. He told me that the shop has to spend so much time fixing all the imperfections, collapsing sections, uneven lines, and holes that it is a losing proposition. He did say Cervini is much higher quality but I really liked the looks of the GTS-2. I am very disappointed that I have to go back to the drawing board for that KR look.

With any company you will find both happy and dissatisfied customers. Sometimes the quality of custom products can vary significantly between each item. It seems some folks are happy with their hoods so far. Or perhaps don't want to admit the negatives they have run into. Nobody likes to admit they made a bad purchase. I would like to see somebody with a Cervini, or other brand, hood pipe up and report on the hood flex at higher speeds as well. I had planned on using pins either on my stock hood, or whatever hood I choose to replace my current one, but I didn't want to have to use them to avoid a hood flying off on the highway...

Bashing time......
Old 11/18/07 | 11:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5150PONY
Bashing time......
Trust me, I wish I wasn't. I had planned on a GTS-2. I was bummed to hear the comments from the shop guy. Time will tell though and hopefully the GTS-2 owners will have no more problems. Besides, if you think that is a bash, you need to go and visit Pirate offroad. Take some kevlar underwear with you...
Old 11/18/07 | 11:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Lots of nice shots....
Old 11/18/07 | 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rrobello
or if the bead is a huge concern for those that have not yet purchased they can wait till mine comes out, should have first batch beginning of jan.
as for the ? about the hood shake, it doesnt take much speed at all to start shaking this hood. at 50-60+ mph the hood not only shakes it starts to lift up on both front corners, so much so that while driving from what I can tell it creates a gap along the whole length of the hood, friends driving along side of me say it pulls up A LOT. So I would say that hood pins would be needed.

I could understand that rrobello is bashing the GTS since "his hood" will be out soon.
Old 11/18/07 | 11:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Is that like wiping your feet before you burglarize the house?
Old 11/18/07 | 11:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Will he, or anyone else, come out with an aluminum hood? I wonder if all fiberglass hoods have flex problems.
Old 11/18/07 | 11:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
I wonder if the quality of the hood has anything to do with it.
I don't think it's the quality of the hood. BTW, mine is RK Sport, not Trufiber.
Old 11/18/07 | 11:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I am no expert but there lots of issues with glass. Waves, warp, pin holes if the guy doesnt roll it carfully to get rid of the bubbles. Da body shop gotta prep it before they paint. If they dont prep it good and let it sit for while after they spray the primer, it will cause solven popping...which is crack paint...

Thats y you need to bring the hood to a good body shop.....if they are lazy, they will mess up your hood.....

Quick Reply: Trufiber Gts2