05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

License Plate Bracket - Custom Made by Me.

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/06, 11:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm glad i live in Michigan, we don't have to have front plates
Old 7/4/06, 12:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

they tried passing something here in texas so we didnt have to have them either but i guess it never went through. its just a fix it ticket so all you have to do is take a picture of the car with it on there and they dismiss it
Old 7/5/06, 12:47 PM

Thumbs up

Ben, please count me in for a "definite" purchase. Penpal is fine --- let me know how to proceed. Thanks!
Old 7/5/06, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PonyUp
Ben, please count me in for a "definite" purchase. Penpal is fine --- let me know how to proceed. Thanks!
Just so everyone is aware, I'm on vacation this week. And will not get a chance to work on the brackets until the week of July 9th. I'm guessing I'll have the first 3 made Monday July 10 (Night of). Please stay tuned.

Ok here's the new list:

Confirmed/very interested (Depending on price of course):
RedDragon777
sis27
BeBeep
packhater
Tony Alonso
adnlyn
icemant180
05MustangSB - interested in cheaper material one? metal?
PonyUp - definite purchase

Interested:
AFChief
BillR
Old 7/10/06, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

how they coming?
Old 7/10/06, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by adnlyn
how they coming?
Quite well, I should have a final word on pricing and exact shipping tonight.
Old 7/11/06, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fastrack
Quite well, I should have a final word on pricing and exact shipping tonight.
I boxed up my bracket last night, and took it to the post office.

1 week arrival: $7.90CDN -> $7.02US
2-3 weeks arrival: $6.65CDN -> $5.91US

These prices are shipping to anywhere in the US.

It would be MUCH cheaper if the bracket & box was under 250 grams ($4.15US). But the box and bracket weighs 282grams.

I just assume use the 1 week arrival method since it's only $1US difference.

I made 2 brackets yesterday lunch time/last night, and test fitted them this morning. But because of a slight measurement error they don't mount up. I think they can be repaired by replacing a few pieces, if not I'll have to remake them.

Sorry for the delay, I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks,
Old 7/11/06, 08:14 AM
GT Member

Thanx for the update. I hope you can fix the brackets so your mistake doesn't cost you anything in materials.

Also, what email address do you want everyone to use for paypal?

Simon
Old 7/11/06, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sis27
Thanx for the update. I hope you can fix the brackets so your mistake doesn't cost you anything in materials.

Also, what email address do you want everyone to use for paypal?

Simon
Yeah I hope I can fix them as well

Once I get everything finalized I will PM all those that were interested in the bracket along with my Paypal email (it's my main email address, so I don't want to post it for the fear of getting more Junk Mail, from those automated thread scraping bots).
Old 7/11/06, 10:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

awaiting your PM................
Old 7/11/06, 05:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

same here man
Old 7/11/06, 08:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Your efforts are appreciated...thanks!
Old 7/11/06, 08:58 PM
Banned

Good & Bad News.

First the good news, I have the exact measurements down now. And I have 2 completed brackets.

Now the bad news. The aluminum is showing stress cracks from the bending at the 90 degree main clamp bend (I never noticed these stress cracks on my bracket since it was already mounted and covered with electrical tape). Here's a picture - please note this was scanned at 1200dpi and downsampled, so the crack isn't as MASSIVE as it appears.:

Big-Foot was 100% correct, the 45 degree bends seem okay however they're showing stress as well. I'm going back to the drawing board, and am going to make a painted steel/aluminum bracket. (Aluminum for the straight pieces and steel for the bends) - Just to reduce the weight as much as possible.

I'm not going to be using the solid aluminum bracket on my car after seeing this. I don't want to loose my personalized plate, nor do I want to sell an inferior bracket.

I hope to have a few finished this week. Sorry for the delay I know everyone wants a bracket.

Hopefully the price can stay the same, as fabricating with metal is much more time consuming. The metal should be cheaper, so maybe a price drop?
Old 7/11/06, 09:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

hey dude what ever you need to do man...i have the money so it is all cool...just make sure to do your best on the bracket since "quality is job #1"
Old 7/11/06, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
No problems to wait longer...the steel might be a better choice. Thanks again for your dilligence.
Old 7/12/06, 05:38 AM
GT Member

No problem man, I'm just sorry you had to waste materials. Good luck with the steel mix.

Simon
Old 7/14/06, 04:31 AM
Bullitt Member

well.. regardless- i still want one i will probably be pay-palling as well..... how much will the shipping cost you to an APO address??
Old 7/14/06, 06:58 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastrack
First the good news, I have the exact measurements down now. And I have 2 completed brackets.

Now the bad news. The aluminum is showing stress cracks from the bending at the 90 degree main clamp bend (I never noticed these stress cracks on my bracket since it was already mounted and covered with electrical tape). Here's a picture - please note this was scanned at 1200dpi and downsampled, so the crack isn't as MASSIVE as it appears.:

Big-Foot was 100% correct, the 45 degree bends seem okay however they're showing stress as well. I'm going back to the drawing board, and am going to make a painted steel/aluminum bracket. (Aluminum for the straight pieces and steel for the bends) - Just to reduce the weight as much as possible.

I'm not going to be using the solid aluminum bracket on my car after seeing this. I don't want to loose my personalized plate, nor do I want to sell an inferior bracket.

I hope to have a few finished this week. Sorry for the delay I know everyone wants a bracket.

Hopefully the price can stay the same, as fabricating with metal is much more time consuming. The metal should be cheaper, so maybe a price drop?
I started with bending aluminum for a bracket and was noticing similar problems. That was when I tried the method that I finally chose. A lot easier and cheaper.
Old 7/14/06, 11:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, I'm interested in the APO shipping charge as well. Shouldn't be much more than anywhere in the US since it's going to Baltimore. US Zip is 09012
Old 7/14/06, 01:20 PM
Banned

Bracket v2 - Pictures, Final Pricing & Shipping Costs

Hi all,

05MustangSB, scramblr – Shipping to Anywhere in the US – including Hawaii, Alaska, and APO is the same price. According to Canada Post.

I ended up buying 6’ of Steel from HD and making a bracket using it, it was MUCH heavier, and I felt the design would suffer from this.

So I went searching on Google, and found that heating Aluminum 6061-T651 (“T6” is Hardened Aluminum). To 500F and bending it, and letting it cool in room temperature for 5 days it’ll re-harden to 80% of it’s original hardness. – On another resource I found heating it after it’s bent for 30 minutes @ 220F will speed up the hardening process.

I can tell after following this process, there are no fractures in the material. Also the rule of thumb is 4x it’s thickness (this is without heating it) in radius for the bend (which would be ½”). As you can see from the pictures the radius bend is much more than ½”. The bend on the clamp is less than ½” but there’s very little stress on this area, so it should be fine (also I don’t see any stress cracks like the picture above).

For Reference:
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.models.rc.air/browse_thread/thread/4c956ec6cd79d05a/a511ec22e6e7bc69?lnk=st&q=bending+6061&rnum=14#a51 1ec22e6e7bc69

Pricing:
$35US – Includes, bracket and all the necessary bolts, nylon lock nuts, and weather stripping

+ Shipping:
$7US - Canada Post is going to Charge me $7.90cdn, which is about $7.12US - taking into account the 2.5% that paypal takes

$42US total.

Added Sept 21, 2006 -------
My paypal email is fastrackindustries@gmail.com, please expect about a 1 week turn around from placing your order as I make these in batches of 5 or so. Unless you get lucky and buy one from a batch just produced.
-----------

Added Nov 13, 2006 ----- Canadian Customers ----
Canada - $39cdn + $11.93cdn shipping = $51CDN <- Don't ask me why the shipping is more to Canada, I was surprised myself! But the package weighs 350grams, and is 19x16x4cm's.
-------------------

I have 3 brackets made (1 of which is mine). I had originally bought enough aluminum to make 6 sets of brackets – but I had to trash the first 2 sets I made because of the cracking.

So I have 2 available – ready to ship. I will be PM’ing all the people below.

I upgraded my Paypal account to a Premium one and can except Credit cards as well.

Here’s the list from before:
Confirmed/very interested (Depending on price of course):
RedDragon777
sis27
BeBeep
packhater
Tony Alonso
adnlyn
icemant180
05MustangSB - interested in cheaper material one? metal?
PonyUp - definite purchase
scramblr

Interested:
AFChief
BillR

Here’s pictures of Plate Bracket v2:

Please note – The License plate bolt holes were not drilled in these photos. Also the stuff on the bracket in the first picture is tape, which I have now removed.

In this first picture – direct front/from the bottom shot:

Side view of the brackets mounted – without the weather stripping (which will also be included):

View of the brackets off the car – please note the 2 single nuts are replaced with Nylon lock nuts – included when shipped:

2nd view of the brackets off the car:

Thanks,

Quick Reply: License Plate Bracket - Custom Made by Me.