05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

License Plate Bracket - Custom Made by Me.

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/06, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
I gues nobody cares that mine only cost $10 bucks and I got the plateholder at the local parts store and the velcro and felt at Target.
I care!! You mind sharing how you made it!!!
Old 6/30/06, 03:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by st06vert
I care!! You mind sharing how you made it!!!
Okay, let's see if I can improve on post #8
Here is a picture of the bracket without the plate.
Attachment 3623
It's not the best picture, but if you look you should be able to see how it's attached.
The red circles are where I wrapped the heavy duty velcro straps. The center is wrapped horizontally around the center post. The sides are around the black plastic on the car. The green circle is where I put the felt because I'm sure that at speed this can move the 1/4" to touch the paint. That's all it might move though because it surprised me how solid it is.
I hope this helps.
One side benefit the plateholder will touch the ground before the bottom of the car (a forward curbfeeler).
Attached Thumbnails License Plate Bracket - Custom Made by Me.-plateholder3.jpg  
Old 6/30/06, 11:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I kind of had mine like that as well, except with Zip Ties, but once you put a front spoiler on the car, you can't do that anymore. :-(
Old 7/1/06, 08:42 AM
Banned

Here's the new list:

Confirmed/very interested (Depending on price of course):
RedDragon777
sis27
BeBeep
packhater
Tony Alonso
adnlyn
icemant180

Interested:
AFChief
BillR
Old 7/2/06, 12:44 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested for a bracket for an '07 V6 (pending the price)
Old 7/2/06, 04:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I would like one, too- if the price is good... i'm getting an 07- if that changes the shape of the bracket- also, i noticed there were a lot of people going back and forth as to which materials were better... maybe you can build both of them- like a special order type thing- if someone prefers one material over the other you can make it special for them- and of course adjust the price accordingly... my opinion is that the bracket is going to be just fine- so the cheaper parts would be just fine by me.... thanks for posting your idea- its a really great one!
Old 7/2/06, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05MustangSB
I would like one, too- if the price is good... i'm getting an 07- if that changes the shape of the bracket- also, i noticed there were a lot of people going back and forth as to which materials were better... maybe you can build both of them- like a special order type thing- if someone prefers one material over the other you can make it special for them- and of course adjust the price accordingly... my opinion is that the bracket is going to be just fine- so the cheaper parts would be just fine by me.... thanks for posting your idea- its a really great one!
knucklehead_11 - Since the v6 design is not exactly the same, it has that indent. I'll have try and peak at one at a Ford Dealer, unless someone wants to take pictures for me (Like the measurements I requested above).

05MustangSB - When you say "if the price is good". Well I should know week of July 9th, the final price. But I aim aiming for $35US. Steel would be heavier and put more force on the front bumper.

Update, I went to the Post office with an approx. size & weight (based off the raw materials) and shipping will be about $6US (I'll have to get a final price once I throw a bracket in a box).
Old 7/2/06, 12:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Fastrack
knucklehead_11 - Since the v6 design is not exactly the same, it has that indent. I'll have try and peak at one at a Ford Dealer, unless someone wants to take pictures for me (Like the measurements I requested above).

05MustangSB - When you say "if the price is good". Well I should know week of July 9th, the final price. But I aim aiming for $35US. Steel would be heavier and put more force on the front bumper.

Update, I went to the Post office with an approx. size & weight (based off the raw materials) and shipping will be about $6US (I'll have to get a final price once I throw a bracket in a box).
Okay. If you still don't have one designed by the time I get my car I'll see if I can get some measurements for you. It'll be a while before I get my car though should you'll prolly get 'em before me.
Old 7/2/06, 06:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Tony,

Here's what I need:
1- The width of the black plastic - this is the most important piece as it's how my clamp design/security works.
2- Thickness of the black plastic insert - Unless they've made it thiner this shouldn't be a problem.
3- Height from the black plastic to where the stock plate guide holes are.
Sorry it took an extra day!

As a proviso, I used a paper tape measure and eyeballed things, since I did not have something like a caliper to get more precision. I did check these numbers against an '06 that was on the dealership lot, and they matched. Assuming '05 and '06 are the same, it should mean your brackets would work with the '07s.

1 - 2 5/16" (5.8 cm)
2 - 1/4" (1 cm)
3 - 3 1/4" (8 cm)

Hopefully, I did correctly count the 'cm' marks. If not, please just convert from 'in' to 'cm'.
Old 7/2/06, 07:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

cant wait man...should have about $40 next friday and will send the order before cause it take paypal like 4-5 days to send the payment
Old 7/2/06, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Sorry it took an extra day!

As a proviso, I used a paper tape measure and eyeballed things, since I did not have something like a caliper to get more precision. I did check these numbers against an '06 that was on the delearship lot, and they matched. Assuming '05 and '06 are the same, it should mean your brackets would work with the '07s.

1 - 2 5/16" (5.8 cm)
2 - 1/4" (1 cm)
3 - 3 1/4" (8 cm)

Hopefully, I did correctly count the 'cm' marks. If not, please just convert from 'in' to 'cm'.
Thanks dude, You said you checked the numbers against an '06? Or an '07 ?

No worries I use inches for everything I only use metric for driving distances

Thanks RedDragon777, why does it take 4-5 days though? I've never received money via paypal so I'm not 100% how I go about doing that.
Old 7/2/06, 08:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

or i can send a money order but it takes 4-5 days to verify the funds but i will send a money order if you want..but i prefer PayPal because it is easy an more secure
Old 7/3/06, 05:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks dude, You said you checked the numbers against an '06? Or an '07 ?

No worries I use inches for everything I only use metric for driving distances
Both an '06 and '07...
Old 7/3/06, 05:29 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_1558858/tm.htm

You can make your own , total price for parts around $8.
I posted this last week.
Old 7/3/06, 05:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

what about mounting it in the grill over the pony
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
704.bmp (183.2 KB, 259 views)
Old 7/3/06, 07:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KdF
http://www.mustangforums.com/m_1558858/tm.htm

You can make your own , total price for parts around $8.
I posted this last week.
I read your method, sounds neat (I have a welder so this wouldn't be a problem). However you drill holes in the bumper, mine doesn't require any holes.

I agree you could buy the parts from HD (like I did. however I have since found a cheaper source for the Aluminum) and make yourself (I spent 3 hours making a template and getting all the angles perfect to my liking).

RedDragon777 - Paypal is fine, you'll be my first transaction (receiving money).
Old 7/3/06, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vc4life
I'm pretty sure that was a joke, but a funny one! There's no way I'd cover the pony on my car! If someone wants to take it off for a custom grille that's cool, but to cover it with a front plate, no way!
Old 7/3/06, 08:23 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

I read your method, sounds neat (I have a welder so this wouldn't be a problem). However you drill holes in the bumper, mine doesn't require any holes.

Yes sir , this is true , but they are drilled that No One will ever see them or notice. just could not bring myself to drill 2 holes in the front bumper of a 31K dream car. I also made sure that the brace/Plate would never run against in any way on the body. Your`s looks just as good , Maybe better for those who do not know how to put in tapping screws.
Old 7/3/06, 08:26 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by vc4life

AARRGGG!!!!!!

<Starts crying>
Old 7/3/06, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm pretty sure that was a joke, but a funny one! There's no way I'd cover the pony on my car! If someone wants to take it off for a custom grille that's cool, but to cover it with a front plate, no way!

ya i was kidding lol did you see the photoshoped picture of your car hahaha sorry it was 6am when i came up with that

Quick Reply: License Plate Bracket - Custom Made by Me.