05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

License Plate Bracket - Custom Made by Me.

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/06, 09:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck tomorrow at the metal shop. I can't wait for the week of July 9th to see how they turn out.

Simon
Old 6/27/06, 10:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
If your definition of a fine product means a license plate laying on the highway bolted to an aluminum bracket - well, that's up to you and your opinion.

Aluminum can be very strong but it is a fickle material when subjected to vibration. A good quality enamel will protect steel for many years. Aluminum - if left uncoated / painted - will corrode and turn white.

I'd go with steel. Cheaper, stronger, easier to work into shape without fear of stress fractures at your bends..
Right it was only my opinion.

Its only going to be a license plate mounting, I highly doubt that fatique would happen in this application. Airplane parts would be falling all over the world. Now that's some vibration. Plus all the aluminum parts on vehicles! I think the need for steel is overkill, if you like it then use it.

Corrode and turn white = oxidation and white rust. Yes, aluminum rusts. One would have to take preferred steps to prevent that just like anything else out in the weather. Aluminum could be polished and cleared or just painted like any other.
If your driving in the rain and salt, your vehicles various steel and cast unpainted parts are all rusted anyway. So what's one or two more, be it steel or aluminum?
Old 6/28/06, 05:53 PM
GT Member

I want one! Sign me up!!!!
Old 6/28/06, 06:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i posted up in the first posts man...i will pay the $35 for it so sign me up for one of the ones that will be ready
Old 6/28/06, 09:49 PM
Banned

- Update -

I found a much cheaper source for the aluminum it's 6061-T651 and it's Made in the USA! (The stuff from Home depot was Made in China ).

FYI: The guy at the metal place felt with the thickness I'm using the facturing/breaking because of stress/bends wouldn't be an issue.

I bought enough to make 6 brackets Here's the new/revised list:

Confirmed/very interested (Depending on price of course):
RedDragon777
sis27 - First to PM, but RedDragon showed interest in the thread before hand
BeBeep
packhater

Interested (When I suggested $30 price range):
AFChief
BillR
Tony Alonso
adnlyn

I just hope Ford has not changed the front bumper design in the 2006/07 models (I know the CS has a different bumper and of course the Shelby). If some someone has a 2006/07 can you take a picture of the area where the plate is to be mounted like I posted above in picture #2. If you could supply a measurement of the black plastic that would also be helpful.

There's 1 piece that could be removed to make the bracket over versatile.

I will have the first batch of 3 made for the week of July 9th along with the final price. I feel confident $35 should be possible.
Old 6/29/06, 12:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastrack
-

Interested (When I suggested $30 price range):
AFChief
BillR
Tony Alonso
adnlyn
You can add me to your definite list. Thanks!
Old 6/29/06, 05:29 AM
GT Member

Nice, good luck making the brackets.

Its all good RedDragon, I've gone 9 months without a front plate and another few weeks isn't going to hurt. But if I get pulled over on the to work I know who to blame

Simon
Old 6/29/06, 06:27 AM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by sis27
Nice, good luck making the brackets.

Its all good RedDragon, I've gone 9 months without a front plate and another few weeks isn't going to hurt. But if I get pulled over on the to work I know who to blame

Simon
Yeah I went almost 1 year too No worries Simon, I will have 3 or more made before I post the price, and your 2nd... New list:

Confirmed/very interested (Depending on price of course):
RedDragon777
sis27
BeBeep
packhater
Tony Alonso

Interested:
AFChief
BillR
adnlyn

I'm actually quite surprised the amount of interest this has shown. Most people I talk to, just say "Drill the darn holes, if you need a front plate who cares".. LOL.
Old 6/29/06, 06:33 AM
GT Member

I know I was only joking with RedDragon. Are you going to make a new higher quality bracket for yourself?
Old 6/29/06, 06:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sis27
I know I was only joking with RedDragon. Are you going to make a new higher quality bracket for yourself?
Higher quality ? I'm assuming your referring to the HD stuff being Made in China.. heheh At this point I don't think I'll remake it (as it's the "first one")

I knew you were joking with RedDragon... hehe........
Old 6/29/06, 07:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Fastrack,

If you can tell me exactly what measurements you want, I will do that on the '07s we have around here.

Thanks for your efforts on this!
Old 6/29/06, 08:41 AM
Bullitt Member

i will take one for $35. pm me your payment info
Old 6/29/06, 08:51 AM
Banned

Post Measurements required...

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Fastrack,

If you can tell me exactly what measurements you want, I will do that on the '07s we have around here.

Thanks for your efforts on this!
Hi Tony,

Here's what I need:
1- The width of the black plastic - this is the most important piece as it's how my clamp design/security works.
2- Thickness of the black plastic insert - Unless they've made it thiner this shouldn't be a problem.
3- Height from the black plastic to where the stock plate guide holes are.
Old 6/29/06, 09:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Now the only problem I have is getting the dealers to fix there mistake and fill in the dang holes they drilled...I will make sure to have them filled in by then...this will be awesome for the next carshow and when I get my Cervini's eleanor bumper I will try and find a way to use it....I think I could flip the bracket around and clamp it to the billet grill
Old 6/29/06, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
Now the only problem I have is getting the dealers to fix there mistake and fill in the dang holes they drilled...I will make sure to have them filled in by then...this will be awesome for the next carshow and when I get my Cervini's eleanor bumper I will try and find a way to use it....I think I could flip the bracket around and clamp it to the billet grill
Hey RedDragon, if you want to send some pictures when you get the bumper or if someone else wants to fire me a picture. I might be able to mod the bracket to fit your need?
Old 6/29/06, 03:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ok man no problem
Old 6/29/06, 03:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

but by the time i get the bumper i will already have the bracket but i will still send the pic
Old 6/29/06, 09:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Fastrack
Hi Tony,

Here's what I need:
1- The width of the black plastic - this is the most important piece as it's how my clamp design/security works.
2- Thickness of the black plastic insert - Unless they've made it thiner this shouldn't be a problem.
3- Height from the black plastic to where the stock plate guide holes are.
I will try to get those tomorrow or Saturday.
Old 6/29/06, 09:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by adnlyn
i will take one for $35. pm me your payment info
I gues nobody cares that mine only cost $10 bucks and I got the plateholder at the local parts store and the velcro and felt at Target.
Old 6/29/06, 10:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by karman
I gues nobody cares that mine only cost $10 bucks and I got the plateholder at the local parts store and the velcro and felt at Target.
I think your idea is a great one, but the reason I never had my plate mounted was I wanted it at stock height. And until I made this bracket this wasn't possible.

FYI to all, the $35 I'm aiming for doesn't include shipping (as most price quotes don't). However I will only be charging exactly what Canada Post charges me. The bracket weighs about 300grams (I just weighed the raw materials). So it should be between $5US - $8US shipping. You can visit www.canadapost.ca for more information.

Quick Reply: License Plate Bracket - Custom Made by Me.