V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Laundry list of issues

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/05, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my v6 in Oct 2004, all issues have now been taken care of except 2 does any one have experience with these and do you have any suggestions.
First: Dash rattle on the right side, seems like something is loose internally also rattle coming from chrome on the speedometer and tachometer.
Second: at high speeds 70 or higher vibration or rattle coming from the under carriage , floor boards or possibly door panels near speakers. Dealer says it is wind noise I am not so sure.
Old 7/10/05, 10:05 PM

the rattling in the dash, i have.. but after the computer issue i just got fixed, that is VERY minor and i can deal with it for a lil bit.. dont think the service dept at the dealership wants my car there anytime soon.
Old 7/11/05, 07:09 AM
GT Member

I got my car on June 10 and as of yesterday, I have 3000 miles on it. With the exception of the hesitation and the ... I don't know how to describe it, so I'm gonna have a hard time at the dealer:

When I press on the gas (from a stopped position) I don't press hard. The rpms go up, but the car doesn't really move for a second. They go higher (I'm still not pressing that hard) and suddenly the car goes. They jump up maybe 400 - 500 rmps before the car goes and then they drop back down. It all happens in a few seconds and it happens a lot, even in higher gears. When I try to accerate on the highway, I press down, the rpms jump up, drop and then the car goes. It sort of feels like the transmission is slipping. I've never owned an automatic before so I'm not sure about this.

Otherwise, I've only had one incident with the gas tank so I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with mine.

I get a lot of comments on the car and a lot of people who come over and talk to me about it, kids yelling "nice car" as I drive by. I almost feel like I'm tagging along with a celebrity.

27 mpg average on the highway with the top down. I can't complain about that. All in all, I guess the only thing that bothers me about the car is how long it takes the top to go up and down and that isn't really a big deal.

THis is the first car I've ever owned that I really liked while there are still payments to be made on it.
Old 7/17/05, 08:15 PM

Going back a few pages I noticed a few people had a problem with a "tick" sounding noise or "sheet metal" noise this may be the noise that I have been refering to. It only seems to happen at high speeds. Someone said that the dealer tightened up a body panel? Does anyone know of a TSB that is out there about this problem or do they know what procedure was done by the dealer to correct the problem. It is more of an annoyance that anything.
Thanks
Old 7/18/05, 12:33 AM
GT Member

Got mine nov 26, no problems yet, 18,500 miles so far.
Old 7/18/05, 07:52 PM

Recently bought my Mustang - V6 Auto, only put 540 miles on it so far.

1. I've noticed that vibration at 1500 rpm's or so as well

2. Today, I was on the freeway and all the sudden my O/D off light starts flashing. I click the button to see if its off or on and it was already on. So I clicked it back on/off a few times but it kept flashing. After work it was back off until I got on the freeway again and then it starts flashing again. Once I got off the freeway and stopped at a light, I manually shifted thru each gear to see if it was going into OverDrive or not and it shifted into all 5 gears so I don't know whats going on. Off the the dealer I guess.

P.S. normally if O/D is off the light is static on, not flashing.
Old 7/21/05, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by AJSstang@July 10, 2005, 7:25 PM
Bought my v6 in Oct 2004, all issues have now been taken care of except 2 does any one have experience with these and do you have any suggestions.
First: Dash rattle on the right side, seems like something is loose internally also rattle coming from chrome on the speedometer and tachometer.
Second: at high speeds 70 or higher vibration or rattle coming from the under carriage , floor boards or possibly door panels near speakers. Dealer says it is wind noise I am not so sure.
Hi - new to this forum. I also have the dash rattle on the right side. Started after my defrost acuator was replaced. Sounds like someone is rapidly tapping on a piece of tin. If I empty my glovebox and leave it down, it's almost constant.

My pony was built 11/04 and the dealership has almost rebuilt it with all the repairs that have been done. (approx 10 components in 4 months)

They joke that I got "That" car that was built at 3pm on Friday. :angry:
Old 7/21/05, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Welcome TJ. Sorry to hear that your car is in such bad shape. Check through the forums here and see if you can find some help on your issues from the folks here. Have you tried going to a different dealer for a second opinion? Perhaps these folks aren't doing the right job... I'm probably wrong, but I'm tossing ideas out.

The folks on here will definately take care of you though. Seeing a name like your user name will make lots of folks who are passionate about mustangs spring into action trying to help. None of us like to see someone have a bad mustang experience.

Good luck with things. Hope it all works out. You're in good hands around here, that's for sure.
Old 7/21/05, 02:29 PM

Aside from my dash rattle, the only problem that's still unresolved and maybe others know about it is that the trunk interior sidewalls are not secured with anything. So while traveling on rough roads I get a thumping noise coming from the trunk area. Serv Dept kept her for two days then gave up and told me to try duck tape.

I have nothing against Ford as I have relatives working for them, but you are correct in that the dealership cost them my future business. Let me explain - I purchase the pony with 37miles on her off the lot, within 3 hours off leaving the lot (Sat. afternoon) the tranmission started slipping. I took her back Monday AM and that's when the games began. The dealership was no help in replacing her, they only wanted to upgrade my into a GT and add 100+ more to my payments.

Here's my shopping list in order of replacements: (alittle frustrating)
- Transmission (Slipping)
- Engine Module (not recognizing Trans problem)
- Exhaust System (loud)
- Vibration Dampner
- Fuel Tank (rapid shutoffs)
- Radiator Reservior Tank (Leaking)
- Rear Brakes (pitted and rusted)
- Fuel Sending units (unable to fill past 3/4 full)
- Front struts (popping noise)

I only have 4000 miles on her and it's alittle annoying to think most of the car is rebuilt now.
Old 7/21/05, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

New problem (weird thing) happened this morning. Car was, still is running great, but out of no where it starts beeping at me, the turn signal was not on no passenger other then me the driver. Checked the seat belt, looked at the dash board no lights, when I would drive straight everything cool, but hard accelerate or turn or do a braking turn and the car would give me this Beep Beep pause Beep.

So weird I looked at the passenger airbag indicator as sometimes it will light up with you have a little bit of weight but not enough, like say for example if you have a small dog in the car that moves around activating and deactiving the airbag sensor. It kind of sounded like that, but I did not have anything on the seat and no lights lit up.

Stop the car, turn it off and restart it, everything fine..
Old 8/8/05, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel really bad for all of you, I ordered a 2006 V6 and I hope I don't have all these problems. Still after reading all this I will probably have more (the Pony Package is new after all with a new suspension) has any one with a newly built V6 had any of these problems? Man this stinks my condolences to all of you.
Old 8/8/05, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by Mudman88@July 18, 2005, 9:55 PM
Recently bought my Mustang - V6 Auto, only put 540 miles on it so far.

1. I've noticed that vibration at 1500 rpm's or so as well

2. Today, I was on the freeway and all the sudden my O/D off light starts flashing. I click the button to see if its off or on and it was already on. So I clicked it back on/off a few times but it kept flashing. After work it was back off until I got on the freeway again and then it starts flashing again. Once I got off the freeway and stopped at a light, I manually shifted thru each gear to see if it was going into OverDrive or not and it shifted into all 5 gears so I don't know whats going on. Off the the dealer I guess.

P.S. normally if O/D is off the light is static on, not flashing.
UPDATE:
I took car to dealer and this is what they did

1. They ordered parts for exhaust dampner in accordance with TSB. I've read that this fix is for the 850 rpm vibration and not the 1500rpm one so I'll update again when I get it back in there and have it installed.

2. Below is directly from the repair sheet. In short they got a code P1744, so they reset, test drove and checked trans for contamination. They didn't get code again so they did nothing. Light is not flashing anymore and all seems well, we'll see.

"659 CONVERTER SOLINOID/VALVE WARR PERFORMED. TRANS ELECTICAL DIAG AND FOUND P1744. CALLED HOTLINE............., WAS TOLD TO CLEAR CODE AND TEST DRIVE..............TEST DROVE AND MONITORED PIDS AND CONVERTER IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED AT THIS TIME. REMOVED PAN PER HOTLINE AND CHECKED FOR CONTAMINATION AND NO PROLEMS AT THIS TIME. RERAN SELF TEST AND P1000. NO REPAIRS ATTEMPTED AT THIS TIME."
Old 8/8/05, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Going back a few pages I noticed a few people had a problem with a "tick" sounding noise or "sheet metal" noise this may be the noise that I have been refering to. It only seems to happen at high speeds. Someone said that the dealer tightened up a body panel? Does anyone know of a TSB that is out there about this problem or do they know what procedure was done by the dealer to correct the problem. It is more of an annoyance that anything.
Thanks
I have the same problem. I took it in but they said they could not replicate this issue. I'm having to take it back in to replace the drive shaft. (70 MPH Vibration issue). I'm going to take the tech with me on a drive to get him to hear it too. I hope they can fix it it's driving me nuts. :bang:
Old 10/15/05, 12:02 PM

Over your squeeky brakes, super easy fix i discovered by accident.
I was using can of aerosol brake cleaner, "Brakleen" about $3 ;so i could detail paint my brake calipers. I just entirely soaked all four brake assemblies and discs. No squeeking anymore, even after 2 weeks of constant rain.
Old 10/15/05, 01:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Brakleen also makes a good bug killer...and it's high pressure is good for zappin' 'em from long distances too. But don't get it near plastic/styrene. It will melt it like butter.
Old 10/15/05, 04:17 PM

just tell them there is a tsb on the brake squeek and they will replace them. I printed it out and took it with me.. no more squeek