V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Laundry list of issues

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/05, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
appreciate the info guys, i will go ahead and look it up even if i do get it back, since there is the chance it might be going back to the shop later on.

-edit-

got the mustang back today, hopefully everything is ok now, but just incase they have put this recording device that starts up whenever a certain problem occurs, or if something happens and its not recording it, i am able to press a button to start it. sooo the plan is to leave it in there for a couple weeks and see what happens. really hope this helps because i dont wanna have to deal with lemon law route.
Old 6/8/05, 10:13 PM

Hi all new to forum and the brand! Just got my mustang Friday, V6 model

Rearend has a decelaration "Howl" Took back to dealer Saturday morning they test drove it and said yep it howls....I requested they at least check the fluid.
3/4's of quart low on lube!!!! this is with 90 miles on it.

There is a very bad dead spot when nailing it from idle, like the motor shuts off.
It also does it recovering from a turn doing normal speeds this hesitation or flat spot I think is a safety issue.

There is a definite "clunk" like u-joint when I put the car in reverse as the car runs longer this does deminish but still I dont think its right. Dealer said the new car computer is learning my driving characteristics and this should go away with mileage.

Havent put gas in it yet so dont know about the filling problem.

Other than that this Chevy Man Loves the Mustang this car just looks and feels great. Never thought I would buy a Ford and hopefully didnt make a mistake.
Old 6/10/05, 08:45 AM

just turned 500 miles on her and I have no problems with AC/weird noises/anything yet...

although... i have a automatic trans. and when i rev the engine there is a god awful smell about 30 seconds later... liek burning.. is this normal, and is this bad? lol... i have since stopped revving her until i know for sure whats going on...
Old 6/10/05, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey, werent all Mustangs built after March built with the new gas tank standard? I dont think you guys should be seeing this problem anymore.
Old 6/10/05, 04:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've had mine since 06/01/05, no issues yet, but cd player does skip on burned cd's. Have had nothing but 65-73 Stangs (8 of them) for past 25 yrs. This 05 WV Blue Convertible is the sweetest toy I've owned. My son says "Welcome to the new Millenium!". While I don't anticipate problems, I would not be surprised. It usually takes 12-18mos of production to work out the bugs.
Old 6/10/05, 06:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only problem I have is waiting for the trunk housing cover from FORD USA. Other than that the car is fine.
Old 6/15/05, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Fellser@April 20, 2005, 11:22 PM
I was thinking about buying a V6 convertible, but ... should I wait for the 2006? How bad are these problems? I mean, are you afraid you're going to break down?

I'm a female and I drive a lot alone -- I mean I travel thousands of miles alone and I'm always concerned about break downs.

What is with the refueling? In NJ we're not allowed to pump our own gas, so am I going to have problems each time a new guy tries to refuel my tank?
Nothing against Verts but I lived in KC for awhile and I wouldn't own one there let alone up in NJ. But I would not be concerned about reliability, even with all our gripes. I recently hit 24,000 all highway and never once have been even remotely concerned about breaking down. I've had a heck of a time getting anywhere in the rain but that's another story. And the dealer told me they can fix the fueling issue, it usually only happened to me when I used pumps without the rubber shield on the handle.
Old 7/2/05, 12:00 AM

Just an update on the problem with my hesitation/dying and the cluster failure... was the main computer in it, replaced it and all the problems have gone away....... for now =P
Old 7/2/05, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by 05mustangV6@June 8, 2005, 10:16 PM
Hi all new to forum and the brand! Just got my mustang Friday, V6 model

Rearend has a decelaration "Howl" Took back to dealer Saturday morning they test drove it and said yep it howls....I requested they at least check the fluid.
3/4's of quart low on lube!!!! this is with 90 miles on it.

There is a very bad dead spot when nailing it from idle, like the motor shuts off.
It also does it recovering from a turn doing normal speeds this hesitation or flat spot I think is a safety issue.

There is a definite "clunk" like u-joint when I put the car in reverse as the car runs longer this does deminish but still I dont think its right. Dealer said the new car computer is learning my driving characteristics and this should go away with mileage.

Havent put gas in it yet so dont know about the filling problem.

Other than that this Chevy Man Loves the Mustang this car just looks and feels great. Never thought I would buy a Ford and hopefully didnt make a mistake.
Well Ford installed a new rearend in the car Yasterday NO More Howl!!!!!
And the clunk has almost dissapeared.

First fillup no problems. Car has a January/05 build date My dealer got the car from a dealer in Georgia traded 6 Tuarus's for 2 mustangs. Dont understand the early build date though.

Hesitation still there Ford says they dont feal it Ya Right!
Old 7/2/05, 11:02 PM

This coming week the dealer is fixing whatever is causing the front end popping noise. Two other issues I've noticed that I'm wondering if anyone else had corrected.
1) Is there a popping noise coming from the rear end or am I hearing the front end popping??
2) Has anyone pinpointed the rattle that comes from the passenger side by the dash?
Old 7/3/05, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Zodiac@June 10, 2005, 5:46 PM
Hey, werent all Mustangs built after March built with the new gas tank standard? I dont think you guys should be seeing this problem anymore.

no i have the problem sometimes....

depends on the age of the fuel pump from what i have noticed...
Old 7/3/05, 08:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by hughes200@July 2, 2005, 11:05 PM
This coming week the dealer is fixing whatever is causing the front end popping noise. Two other issues I've noticed that I'm wondering if anyone else had corrected.
1) Is there a popping noise coming from the rear end or am I hearing the front end popping??
2) Has anyone pinpointed the rattle that comes from the passenger side by the dash?

I hear a pop in the rear as well, especially when backing out of my driveway.

No luck on the dash rattle, all I know is sometimes its more noticeable then others. It really dosn't bother me too much though.
Old 7/4/05, 05:12 AM
GT Member

Okay, I've had my car about a month now or 1800 miles.

I try to avoid potholes and bumps, but sometimes on the highway, I can't avoid a rough area that goes across the entire lane. The car bounces off to one side. Is that because it isn't a heavy car? It's kinda dangerous. I don't have control of the car for a few seconds.

I had 1 incident with the gas pump.

I have an automatic (my first). I notice some hestitation almost always when I first accelerate from a stopped position, and also in higher gears.

Okay, I don't think there's anything wrong with the car, but I sold my 92 Mustang with almost 200k miles on it and with the original rotors. I finally understand why people who drive automatics have to get brake pads and rotors so often.

By the way, is it okay for me to go into 3rd when I'm slowing for a light? As I said, I never owned an automatic before. I press the O/D button, but I'm trying to find ways to use the brakes less. Does shifting into 3rd do any damage to the car?

Oh, I drove 500 miles yesterday with only 2 stops. I have to say, the car is comfortable to be in for long distance driving. The seats are really nice.
Old 7/4/05, 05:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fellser@July 4, 2005, 7:15 AM
Okay, I've had my car about a month now or 1800 miles.

I try to avoid potholes and bumps, but sometimes on the highway, I can't avoid a rough area that goes across the entire lane. The car bounces off to one side. Is that because it isn't a heavy car? It's kinda dangerous. I don't have control of the car for a few seconds.

I had 1 incident with the gas pump.

I have an automatic (my first). I notice some hestitation almost always when I first accelerate from a stopped position, and also in higher gears.
Okay, I don't think there's anything wrong with the car, but I sold my 92 Mustang with almost 200k miles on it and with the original rotors. I finally understand why people who drive automatics have to get brake pads and rotors so often.

By the way, is it okay for me to go into 3rd when I'm slowing for a light? As I said, I never owned an automatic before. I press the O/D button, but I'm trying to find ways to use the brakes less. Does shifting into 3rd do any damage to the car?

Oh, I drove 500 miles yesterday with only 2 stops. I have to say, the car is comfortable to be in for long distance driving. The seats are really nice.
i would never shift a auto tranny unless your really needed to..
Old 7/4/05, 10:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I finally found a little problem, maybe someone here can help on what it may be.
About every 10-15 seconds I hear a ticking sound on the driverside rearend area. It's loud enough to hear if you pay close attention to with stereo off. It doesnt affect the drivablily or anything, its just a light ticking on the rear.
Any ideas?
Old 7/5/05, 11:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

at any speed? Rock in a tire maybe??
Old 7/5/05, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I have noticed a problem with my car that has cropped up recently (within the past 2 months). Once I get above 60 MPH, I feel a vibration in the stearing wheel. I know that this is a tell tale sign of a bent rim, but this vibration is different than that.

I have cross rotated the tires and the vibration doesn't move. It's on all 4 corners, and it fades. Sometimes you can feel it in the steering wheel, sometimes you feel it in your pants. Sometimes it's all around. Most importantly, the stinkin' thing will just, AT RANDOM, completely go away. It's like nothing is wrong. More often than not, it vibrates at speed though, and the vibration worsens with speed. How curious. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm extremely careful with watching for potholes, and while I am not able to miss them all, I can assure you that there would be no cause for a damaged wheel from anything I have hit - ESPECIALLY not on all 4 corners. It's strange how it fades in and out too.

Thoughts? She's going back to the dealer soon to get checked up on. Hopefully they can figure it out. I'd like to offer some thoughts to them before it goes in though, and if anyone has had the problem or is experiencing similar woes, I can at least relay that I'm not the only one.... If I am, then that's important too.
Old 7/5/05, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

StangerX sounds like you have a leak in the steering dampener or not enough "charge" I forgot to check if its a gas or hydraulic dampener. But that is why when you rotate the tires you still feel the shake. Since the dampener is hard mounted to one end of the frame the force will always be in the same place.
Old 7/5/05, 11:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by yur1279@July 5, 2005, 10:04 AM
at any speed? Rock in a tire maybe??
Yep at any speed, even idle. About every 10-15 seconds, and it never misses a beat
Sounds like it may be from the gas tank since its in the rear left portion, can't think what else :scratch:
Old 7/6/05, 06:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by NosferatuVI@July 5, 2005, 2:12 PM
StangerX sounds like you have a leak in the steering dampener or not enough "charge" I forgot to check if its a gas or hydraulic dampener. But that is why when you rotate the tires you still feel the shake. Since the dampener is hard mounted to one end of the frame the force will always be in the same place.
Sounds legit. It seems that a lot of folks are having similar issues as well. Some of them are pointing to the tires/balancing:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....pic=19466&st=0

I'm taking it in soon to have it checked out. I'll report back with what I find.

Quick Reply: Laundry list of issues