GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Off Road H Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/05, 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone stumbled across any web sites that sell off road H-Pipes for this car yet? All I can find is JBL, but they only sell them for long tubed headers. If I can't find anything, my only option is to get one custom made from a local performance muffler shop where I live. They said they can make one, but I'm not sure if they can build one that satisfies my liking. If anyone finds any please reply.
Old 9/16/05, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jay I think we are in the same boat.....I am looking to get an off road H-pipe as well. Surely someone has one by now.
Old 9/16/05, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I just got back from the muffler shop. They cut out the cats on the stock h-pipe and welded in some 2 1/2" piping. It sounds VERY good with the flowmasters. No poppy/raspy/tinny sound at all. Reminds me of the old foxbody with no cats and flowmasters. I'll try to get a soundclip this weekend on it. It's definately loud!
Old 9/16/05, 03:32 PM

Mak offroad pipe is very cheap and sound awesome.Good HP gain also.Now that you guys are running no cats,Hows the exhaust smell comming in your windows at a light or when driving slow.......I hate that mine does this.
Old 9/16/05, 04:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

The only off-road H I'm aware of is JBA's which as you said is for LT headers. You'd have to manufacture your own connectors from stock manifold/ST headers to the H-pipe.
There's a variety of X-pipes: Magnaflow's off-road X, Bassani off-road X, Hooker 2005 Mustang Full Length Off-Road Cross Pipe and then there's the MAC 2.5'' Off Road Pro Chamber, to stock...that should make you some noise! I haven't run into anything else. Dynomax has their universal accessories so you can build your own...
Old 9/16/05, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mikem@September 16, 2005, 4:35 PM
Mak offroad pipe is very cheap and sound awesome.Good HP gain also.Now that you guys are running no cats,Hows the exhaust smell comming in your windows at a light or when driving slow.......I hate that mine does this.
So far, I haven't smelled any obnoxious fumes, but I also run my A/C 100% of the time.
Old 9/17/05, 02:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by y22kc@September 16, 2005, 3:20 PM
I just got back from the muffler shop. They cut out the cats on the stock h-pipe and welded in some 2 1/2" piping. It sounds VERY good with the flowmasters. No poppy/raspy/tinny sound at all. Reminds me of the old foxbody with no cats and flowmasters. I'll try to get a soundclip this weekend on it. It's definately loud!
Make sure those clips get to us
Old 9/17/05, 11:36 PM
Bullitt Member

My stock h pipe is at the muffler shop getting customized. Gonna be able to re and re the cats and straight pipes for emmision tests. Up here in Vancouver B.C. we have to pass what is called "Air Care" to be able to renew our insurance. So basically it will be an off-road h-pipe that can change back to the stock cat h-pipe and vice-versa. Being a new car, I won't have to check the emmisions for a little less than 3 years, so I'll be able to run on the straight pipes for at least this long.
Old 9/19/05, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I got my h-pipe back and what a difference. I absolutely love the sound. It's got a low muscle car growl like the old Flowmaster American Thunder kit but better IMO. No more tin can sound. Now I don't have to worry about buying a new off-road h-pipe later on down the road when they finnaly come out.
Old 9/20/05, 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

How do you guys think it would sound if I just gut out my cats and put it back on??
Old 9/20/05, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Experiment and see what happens Mark. Like the old saying goes; "Live and Learn". I think it would be better to run straight pipes IMO. If you go that route, let us know how it sounds.
Old 9/20/05, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think I'm gonna wait till someone makes an off road H-pipe that will bolt up to the stock manifolds. I want to keept the stock pipe intact in case I ever need to put it back on.
Old 9/20/05, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I am working right now with one of our current exhaust suppliers to produce an H pipe for us. I will let you know if they are going to do it. The cost should be pretty low also.

Old 9/20/05, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sweet....you are the man Brent!

Can't wait to hear what you find out.
Old 9/20/05, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Mark, I had the exhaust shop cut my cats out and weld in some mandrel pipe. Should be the same thing if you gut the cats. I'm like Jay, I really like the sound of the offroad h-pipe. It was really loud to me at first, but I went from stock h-pipe with Flowmasters to offroad, so it was initial shock I guess :P. Now I've gotten used to it plus Brent at DTP Racing edited my tune with the O2's off, so no more check engine light.
Old 9/20/05, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by y22kc@September 20, 2005, 4:41 PM
Mark, I had the exhaust shop cut my cats out and weld in some mandrel pipe. Should be the same thing if you gut the cats. I'm like Jay, I really like the sound of the offroad h-pipe. It was really loud to me at first, but I went from stock h-pipe with Flowmasters to offroad, so it was initial shock I guess :P. Now I've gotten used to it plus Brent at DTP Racing edited my tune with the O2's off, so no more check engine light.
Yeah Kevin, I thought about going that route...but I am a little leary about cutting up the stock h-pipe just in case for warranty issues or whatever reason I need to put the stocker back on. Right now I have a MAC O/R Prochamber and I love how much louder and aggressive it sounds, but its too high pitched and raspy for me with my Flowmasters. I'm hoping once they come out with an off-road H, that it will sound deep and throaty.
Old 9/21/05, 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

OK I have secured a manufacturer for a direct bolt in 2005/06 GT Off Road H pipe. This H pipe will be offered exclusively through us if we decide to move forward with it. Full 2.5" manderal bent design made of high quality aluminized steel. This will be made in the USA by a company that already makes Mustang mufflers, X-pipes, headers, etc....

The question I have is what would the consumer be willing to pay for this part?

$179 shipped???

For those of you who have tried an X-pipe and did not like the sound with your mufflers and think this price is not that bad. You will keep that deep muscle car sound.

OK let me know what you think.

Old 9/21/05, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow.....$179 shipped sounds like a pretty good deal!

Sign me up Brent!
Old 9/21/05, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

That is a great deal Brent. I would have waited for this instead of having the muffler shop cut my cats out.
Old 9/21/05, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Sign me up, Brent! My question is...compared to MAC's offroad prochamber...what would the sound difference and power increase differences be between these two? I want to pick up some HP gains, but want that deep grumble I haven't been able to find. Someone with MAC's offroad prochamber above mentioned that they thought it was too raspy??? I thought MAC's prochamber was the opposite, nice and low grumble..because technically, the prochamber IS an H pipe except for the chamber at the joints..

Quick Reply: Off Road H Pipe