GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

guaging interest in an auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/06, 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+2! It's a hell of a lot easier to switch out the **** for one with a button if that's what you want, and leaning a finger over to flick the OD button on the bezel is not a big deal at all. I don't want a dead button on my shift handle, and I don't want to have to live with a T if I want a cueball!!

Chris, please keep it like it is....
Old 7/20/06, 01:36 PM
V6 Member

+3! It’s ok like it is.

-Johann

Old 7/20/06, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

geezzzeee.. Now you guys are all confusing me!
Old 7/20/06, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

no confusion ... the original concept is what we want.

-Bryan
Old 7/20/06, 01:56 PM
Cobra Member

original concept!

-Dan
Old 7/20/06, 02:08 PM
GT Member

okay as is. i use the od button but i would like to be able to change the **** so i can live with the od button on the panel.

Also, someone said something about drinks, that's what the false bottom cupholder is for!
Old 7/20/06, 02:15 PM
V6 Member

Just found this post...I'd be interested too, but just a clarification...Would this be a shifter where you could manually up and downshift (like some performance cars have) as well as put it into P, N, D, 1, 2, 3? That would be tooooooo cool.
Old 7/20/06, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Please please please make a T handle a readily available and easy to install option. The ball is ok but I would not replace my shifter unless I had a T handle. Love the ratchet idea and am dying to go outside and burn this plasitc shifter in my car, however I do like the almost T handle shape of the stock shifter. I don't know how many people if any are with me on this, but T handle to me is just to cool. As far as the OD button versus 12V, I'll reach for the od, don't really care where it is. Great work and keep it up. You're going to make a killing off this I promise. You guys, or maybe just you, have buissnes sense I have'nt seen in quite a while now. Directly working with your customer base is supremely affective and is a technique past due with current technology. But man if you don't even read this post thats ok just PLEASE GIVE US A T-HANDLE!
Old 7/20/06, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dzzzz
Also, I suggest you not underestimate every guys love for switches - especially switches with a red guard that needs to be flipped up to activate. (Like one would use to launch nuclear missiles). Guys will want to add switches to the console. I would like to add some buttons (I would drill) that were either a matching brushed aluminum or the important red buttons.
Mmmmm... red switches... lol.

Old 7/20/06, 03:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pferd
Just found this post...I'd be interested too, but just a clarification...Would this be a shifter where you could manually up and downshift (like some performance cars have) as well as put it into P, N, D, 1, 2, 3? That would be tooooooo cool.
Yes!...Very similar to a sequential type shifter found in cars like the 350Z,G35, Lexus etc...
Old 7/20/06, 03:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bennyandthejets
Please please please make a T handle a readily available and easy to install option. The ball is ok but I would not replace my shifter unless I had a T handle. Love the ratchet idea and am dying to go outside and burn this plasitc shifter in my car, however I do like the almost T handle shape of the stock shifter. I don't know how many people if any are with me on this, but T handle to me is just to cool. As far as the OD button versus 12V, I'll reach for the od, don't really care where it is. Great work and keep it up. You're going to make a killing off this I promise. You guys, or maybe just you, have buissnes sense I have'nt seen in quite a while now. Directly working with your customer base is supremely affective and is a technique past due with current technology. But man if you don't even read this post thats ok just PLEASE GIVE US A T-HANDLE!
YOU WILL HAVE A T-HANDLE OPTION!
Old 7/20/06, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
Same here, I hit the OD button on and off numerous times each day. I would guess at least 10 times myself. The main reason I use it is to take advantage of tranny braking, but also the acceleration is better in slow down/ speed up traffic conditions.

I was arguing for the OD button being on the handle early on in this thread, but it's not a deal killer for me. Frankly I don't want the wire running from the handle down to the console anyway. I'm fine with the button being on the console as long as it's not a long reach from the handle. Preferably it's something I could reach with my hand resting on the handle.

I was a bit surprised at the negative reaction to the B&M logo being on the faceplate. I guess those of us that were hopping up cars in the 70's and 80's remember Hurst and B&M logos as being a badge of pride on our shifters. I would love to see the B&M logo engraved into the shifter arm.
+1. I agree about the B&M logo. I come from the 60's-70's car nut crowd, and would not mind at all having the B&M logo engraved into the shifter arm.

Also, I would like to see an answer to Error404's question - can the 12V button on the ball or T-handle be hooked up to be used for the O/D button?
Old 7/20/06, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bennyandthejets
+1. T-handle, but with the O/D button in the handle, like it is now. If the T-handle is going to be an option, then can't the O/D button in the handle be part of that option? It sounds like most of the people who want the O/D button in the handle/**** are also the same people who's preference is for a T-handle rather than a ball.
Old 7/20/06, 04:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by gyttiup
+1. T-handle, but with the O/D button in the handle, like it is now. If the T-handle is going to be an option, then can't the O/D button in the handle be part of that option? It sounds like most of the people who want the O/D button in the handle/**** are also the same people who's preference is for a T-handle rather than a ball.
I simply can't please you all, but I am doing the best I can.In order for the O/D to be a part of the T-handle , we would need to create a whole new ****, have the switch solenoid and wiring sent back for re-design and new protos. sent that are longer and have the stick itself cut and channeled out for the wiring to run through.
Old 7/20/06, 04:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by gyttiup
+1. I agree about the B&M logo. I come from the 60's-70's car nut crowd, and would not mind at all having the B&M logo engraved into the shifter arm.

Also, I would like to see an answer to Error404's question - can the 12V button on the ball or T-handle be hooked up to be used for the O/D button?
Too many people are against the Logo..Personally I wanted it there and think it looks great etched in the bezel, but lots of others thought differently. Any of the ***** you get with the shifter will have the B&M logo on it though
Old 7/20/06, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2005RedGT
Chris, keep the O/D on the console and leave the options open for different handles, just as you are doing now. Remember, anyone that takes the time to remove and install a shifter is customizing the car and will want options. SO, you are on the right path for the custom crowd.

IMO.

-Bryan
I agree.Go with your original plan Chris.Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez...promise I wont bring up the B&M logo sticker again
Old 7/20/06, 11:19 PM
Bullitt Member

this has to be the longest post yet
at this point i do not even care about the buttons
it is such a great improvement over stock
just get us a groop buy
Old 7/20/06, 11:40 PM
Cobra R Member

well subzero, I don't think anyone here doesnt appreciate what you are trying to do. But this will be my last reply on this topic, and you can decide for yourself. But like I said before a lot more people will buy this if o/d is on the handle, I can almost guarantee it. I don't see why you cant make this possible for both crowds. I think when selling you can offer it two ways, one with the ball shifter as is, and another that comes with the t handle and o/d. So when ordering, if you want the t handle somewhat stock you pay this price, and if you want the ball you pay a different price. Just leave that as an option when ordering. I cant imagine a whole lot has to be changed to run a wire thru the shifter into the console, if you look at the stock piece, hardly anything to the design. I realize yours will be different but, hey if you want to sell a lot of these things, you need to be realistic about the normal everyday consumers as well as racers. After all the racers are a small market compared to the daily drivers. Anyway thats all I have to say, I would love a different shifter, and have line loc capabilities, but am not going to sacrifice quality to have them, so as stated before I probably would buy one of these if somewhat stock actuation is available. I use my o/d everyday lots, and it is a necessity to have it where it is now. After all thats why all the manufacturers design them there, ease of getting too. Thanks for your great ideas. Hopefully you will offer both, or maybe down the road offer us dailys an option. Thanks again.
Old 7/21/06, 02:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks. Sorry if I was a little pushy about the T-handle. Everyone seemed to be discussing ball shifters. Just wanted to make sure my handle was sticking around. I agree that the wiring should be kept simple so as many people as possible can put on whatever **** they want. Can't wait!
Old 7/21/06, 05:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

ditto Sodaman.

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter