GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/07, 01:53 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Granatelli Turbo Install

I started the work on the install (actually, the tear-down) yesterday and this is what I have so far:

Attachment 34852

So far, the front bumper cover and the headlights have been removed.

I'll do little things this week (remove windshield washer tank, drain coolant, drain oil, drain power steering fluid/remove reservoir, etc.).

By this weekend, I'll have the complete kit so I'll start on more major stuff (H-pipe has to be removed and modified, radiator as to be angled slightly at the top, etc.).

Of course, then there is all of the plumbing, the turbo mounted, the intercooler mounted, etc.

Then I have to remove the shaker, change injectors, remount the shaker...

I'll post pictures and updates here along the way!
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Turbo Install-dscn6578.jpg  
Old 10/30/07, 03:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's awesome Tom, We'll be looking forward to the end results That turbo can make some big horsepower!!What psi are you gonna run it at?
Old 10/30/07, 03:55 PM

Sounds Sick Tom! Can't wait to see the results!
Old 10/30/07, 04:06 PM
GTR Member

Thanks, guys! I can't wait to see (and feel) the results, too!

-------------------

Found this at the door when I got home today:

Attachment 34856

That's the BA-2800 mass air meter, Ford 39 lb injectors, and the extension cable for the new location of the mass air meter.

And this came yesterday (pre-loaded with a tune for the turbo):

Attachment 34857

All of these items are included in the kit.

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
What psi are you gonna run it at?
When I'm done with the install, the tune will be safe for the car, but I'll have it custom dyno tuned for 9psi... making sure the air/fuel ratio is good. Power is nice, but I want it safe for the engine, too. With 9psi, it should be around 430 RWHP.
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Turbo Install-dscn6583.jpg   Granatelli Turbo Install-dscn6586.jpg  
Old 10/30/07, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

you should be around 480 at 9 psi
Old 10/30/07, 06:10 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
you should be around 480 at 9 psi
Maybe I should keep it at 8psi then. I don't want to push the limits of any of the stock components. I won't be racing it, so I don't need every last bit of HP. I'd be more than happy with 430-450.
Old 10/30/07, 07:06 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I wonder how bad the stock components would be stressed with 500hp. I figure that I'd have to change the pistons, to forged, right?
Old 10/30/07, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I wonder how bad the stock components would be stressed with 500hp. I figure that I'd have to change the pistons, to forged, right?
I would at LEAST get a complete forged rotating assembly.
Old 10/30/07, 07:42 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Not sure about 500 HP, but under 450 RWHP the stock components will hold up fine if the A/F ratio is kept in check (I've read/heard the stock components will handle up to 475 RWHP). That's the reason for the custom tune. He'll dial it in to keep A/F ratio between 11:1 and 12:1. Any leaner than 13:1 and you might have to worry about burning pistons at higher boost.

Originally Posted by 69_gt500
I would at LEAST get a complete forged rotating assembly.
Over 10 psi, maybe.

A turbo at 8psi is equivalent to a supercharger at 10psi. I doubt everybody that throws on a supercharger changes their entire rotating assembly.

Like I said, I'll keep this kit conservative. If I wanted to up the boost for max HP, I would definitely be doing a lot more to the engine so it could handle it.
Old 10/30/07, 07:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Not sure about 500 HP, but under 450 RWHP the stock components will hold up fine if the A/F ratio is kept in check (I've read/heard the stock components will handle up to 475 RWHP). That's the reason for the custom tune. He'll dial it in to keep A/F ratio between 11:1 and 12:1. Any leaner than 13:1 and you might have to worry about burning pistons at higher boost.

Would recommend 11.5 to 11.9 a/f, and timing in the mid to upper teens, no higher than 19. That's also assuming you run 93 octane, less octane = less allowable timing. But, I'm sure your local tuner will take care of you.
Old 10/30/07, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is awesome can't wait to hear and see how it all turns out.
Old 10/30/07, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
A turbo at 8psi is equivalent to a supercharger at 10psi.
Pressure is pressure. There's no difference. Unless you're talking about horsepower #'s and not stress levels.
Old 10/30/07, 10:23 PM
FR500 Member

+1. Keep us updated with some cool "how-to" style pics thrown in as well, please.
Old 10/31/07, 05:05 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Would recommend 11.5 to 11.9 a/f, and timing in the mid to upper teens, no higher than 19. That's also assuming you run 93 octane, less octane = less allowable timing. But, I'm sure your local tuner will take care of you.
Yes, it will be 93 octane. I'll keep those numbers in mind when talking to the tuner.

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Pressure is pressure. There's no difference. Unless you're talking about horsepower #'s and not stress levels.
Yes, that's what I meant. Since superchargers rob themselves of their own HP, a turbo can produce the same HP #'s with less pressure (and less stress on the engine).

Originally Posted by hi5.0
+1. Keep us updated with some cool "how-to" style pics thrown in as well, please.
I will...

------------------------------

And I don't want this to turn into a debate thread. I'm going to talk about the install and post pics along the way for anybody that's interested in seeing the install process.
Old 10/31/07, 08:39 AM
GT Member

The speed shop I go to (Fastlance Motorsports) has had several 05+ GT at 480rwhp with a 12:1 A/F without any probelms so far. This is with KB 2.6l superchargers. The turbo will not put the stress on an engine that a SC will so you should be fine at 450rwhp and 8psi...
Old 10/31/07, 08:55 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 07Foose
The turbo will not put the stress on an engine that a SC will
That's what I've learned from my research, and is one of the reasons I decided to go with a Turbo instead of a SC.
Old 10/31/07, 03:01 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way to go Tom - I'll be tuning in for progress

Your planned boost and HP numbers seem right on for a nice powerful daily driver. Should have no probs with a nice tune
Old 10/31/07, 07:52 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Way to go Tom - I'll be tuning in for progress

Your planned boost and HP numbers seem right on for a nice powerful daily driver. Should have no probs with a nice tune
Glad you think so - love to hear from people with boosted daily drivers!

----------------------------

The remainder of the kit came today (3 more boxes, 1 just containing the turbo):

Attachment 34910 The turbo is in the bigger white box in the rear of the picture.

I was very impressed with the packaging. The turbo came wrapped up, in a box, and in another box. Nothing was touching in any of the boxes due to the large amount of protective paper and wrapping.

The exposed pipes are the exhaust side (all stainless steel) and the wrapped up pipes are the intake side.

I'm also impressed with the quality of the parts and the welding on the intercooler and the exhaust pipes. I'm no welder, but those continuous flowing welds must be a lot of work.
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Turbo Install-dscn6605.jpg  
Old 10/31/07, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Awesome! Can't wait for the updates on the install as I am looking to get blown in about a year and am learning towards either the Hellion, HPP, or Powerhouse kits...I never really considered Granatelli because I always hear about how they copy other peoples designs and kinda try to pass them off as their own (C&L Intake vs. Granatelli) But who knows?

I do have a couple questions for you though.. What are you going to run exhaust wise, once everything is installed? Will you be able to run aftermarket midpipes or are you only able to run an aftermarket catback?

Also, I see that the kit comes with a set of Cats..Is this an emissions legal kit? If its not, what is the point of running them?
Old 10/31/07, 08:22 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Awesome! Can't wait for the updates on the install as I am looking to get blown in about a year and am learning towards either the Hellion, HPP, or Powerhouse kits...I never really considered Granatelli because I always hear about how they copy other peoples designs and kinda try to pass them off as their own (C&L Intake vs. Granatelli) But who knows?
I've heard this, too. I have several Granatelli components on my '89 Mustang and they were the first company to offer the Weight-Jacker lower control arms for the rear, so I don't know who they copied. Quality has always been excellent, too. As far as this kit, several of the components (turbo, waste gate, intercooler, injectors) are made by other companies (Turbonetics, Tial, Spearco, and Ford respectively) and they don't try to pass them off as their own. So I don't know how much truth there is behind all that. Their customer service has been great (I must have been on the phone a dozen times asking questions and they were willing to help before I even spent a dime).

I do have a couple questions for you though.. What are you going to run exhaust wise, once everything is installed? Will you be able to run aftermarket midpipes or are you only able to run an aftermarket catback?
Also, I see that the kit comes with a set of Cats..Is this an emissions legal kit? If its not, what is the point of running them?
I have Flowmaster AT mufflers and will still use them with the kit. The H-pipe is cut up during the install and the Hi-Flow cats are basically in the same place as the stock cats. I honestly don't know if the kit is emissions legal (we don't care about that stuff in FL!), but they do offer the kit without cats. I had an off-road H-pipe for about 2 days and hated the way the exhaust sounded. So, I ordered this kit with the cats to keep the rasping of the exhaust down as much as possible.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Turbo Install