GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP (not impressed)

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/05 | 11:18 AM
I Have No Life

I kinda laugh at 'loudmouths' in the respect that...
Are they not just basically a muffler delete kit?
Old 9/13/05 | 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thats one of the reasons I didn't go with them. We have visual uner car emission inspections where I live and I though it would be better to have something that slightly resembled a muffler than none at all.
Old 9/13/05 | 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Well now I am worried because I have the FRPP loud system on the way. It will be here Friday. Finally after all the other BS. Hope they sound good. Everyone at Borla assures me they are the same as thier S-type system.
Old 9/13/05 | 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by auto4@September 12, 2005, 7:18 PM
I just finished installing my new FRPP mufflers (Borla S-Type) and all I can say is Ho Hum. They don't sound bad, just not what I was looking for. The sound is a little louder then stock and a bit more throatier (is that a word?) I hate to admit this, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I detect a slight tone of "RICE" coming from my V-8 with these new mufflers. Maby I just got used to the stock sound and need to give these a few days to get used to them. Oh, and if it matters, both my wife and two kids think the new mufflers sound great, go figure. On a side note, I love the way they look and installation was straight forward.
Hey, I felt the MAC axle backs were too LOUD at one point, but it grew on me. Here's a crude Quicktime movie of my son driving my car around a parking lot while I shot stills for a magazine article:

http://www.ballisticsoftware.com/images/ and select the 100_0254.mov file. It's 15MB, so download it if you have broadband only. If someone can tell me how to convert to a smaller file format I'd appreciate it.

John
Old 9/13/05 | 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@September 12, 2005, 8:33 PM
You obviously have not heard the Borla's. I compared my magnapaks to a stock GT. Big difference, then Boomer decided to show me what the Borla's sound like. I couldn't hear my car running when his was idleing. If I heard the Borla's before placing an order that is what I would have gotten.

Adrenalin, Trust me I have have heard the Borla's...And literally hundreds others since I worked for them for 6 years!..The Borla stuff sounds fine,Not Loud IMO but sound is a preferrence to everyone.See, I have heard Magpacks as well and would have choosen those over the Borla stuff, but that's just me..Guess you haven't heard thet loudmouth system then if you think Borla stuff is loud..there is no comparison there.When I speak of the term "loud" I generally refer to how much noice is generated inside the cabin such as "drone", which the Borla stuff does NOT have and never will,so IMO they are not loud.They and any other exhaust can make all the noise in the world outside and that is fine by me, but loud in terms of decibles inside the vehicle it isnt!
Old 9/13/05 | 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I believe the "rice" sound y'all are referring to is called rasp.

And as stated, Borla's are loud.
Old 9/13/05 | 06:26 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by subzero05@September 12, 2005, 9:51 PM
I mentioned before..Don't expect the Borla stuff to be much more than the stock system..they aren't..If you are looking for just a little healthier growl then fine, but the Borla's on mustangs are generally never loud,or even major statement making
I know I'm talking to the orginial BORLA GUY here but I have to disagree with you.

I think he has a set of Touring mufflers. The Borla S-Types are DEFINATELY a LOT louder than stock. I'd say almost 2 times as loud.

Yes, typically Borla stuff isn't a lot louder (I bought a cat-back for my probe gt a few years back) but this kit for the 05 is the exception.

Its quite a bit louder than the Magnapacks based on what Pete (Boomer) said at the last meetup with John (adrenalin).

Also, I don't really see where the "raspiness" in my muffler sound is. If you rev them up to 5000+ rpm you will probably get a bit raspy but many systems will do that. At low to mid range rpms, I haven't heard anything DEEPER and THROATIER as of yet. To me, Bassani are raspy.
Old 9/13/05 | 07:55 PM

I figured I would stir up alot of emotion with this post. As many have stated the sound is a matter of preference. However, when I stated that they were only somewhat louder then stock, the numbers from a test in a recent mustang magazine (can't remember The name) back up this fact.

IDLE NOISE
STOCK 68 DBA
FRPP 71 DBA

CRUISE NOISE AT 2000 RPM
STOCK 96 DBA
FRPP 96 DBA

Yes, they are louder at WOT.
Old 9/13/05 | 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by subzero05+September 13, 2005, 1:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subzero05 @ September 13, 2005, 1:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Adrenalin, Trust me I have have heard the Borla's...And literally hundreds others since I worked for them for 6 years!..The Borla stuff sounds fine,Not Loud IMO but sound is a preferrence to everyone.See, I have heard Magpacks as well and would have choosen those over the Borla stuff, but that's just me..Guess you haven't heard thet loudmouth system then if you think Borla stuff is loud..there is no comparison there.When I speak of the term "loud" I generally refer to how much noice is generated inside the cabin such as "drone", which the Borla stuff does NOT have and never will,so IMO they are not loud.They and any other exhaust can make all the noise in the world outside and that is fine by me, but loud in terms of decibles inside the vehicle it isnt!
[/b]

Hey Subzero..I don't mean to disagree, but your basing loudness on INTERIOR noise? :nono: Since when do people buy an exhaust to have interior noise get louder? Magnapacks could DRONE more, therefore making you think they are louder...but Borlas, especially the Stingers, are MUCH louder.

<!--QuoteBegin-Ford05MustangGT
@September 13, 2005, 2:51 PM
I believe the "rice" sound y'all are referring to is called rasp.

And as stated, Borla's are loud.
[/quote]

^ Finally someone who doesn't call it RICE!!!
Old 9/13/05 | 08:12 PM
Cobra Member

well let's see..I have been selling exhaust systems for 10 years now and I spend a good part of 3 years designing systems with Borla in conjunction with my sales duties and the #1 question I get asked still to this day is : How loud is it INSIDE the car?..What kind of drone is there?

You can see by the decible ratings posted above (if they are accurate) that the Borla system is not much louder in terms of overall sound.Sure they are healthier at WOT (which they should be), as well as idle, but sound (loudness) is measures with a sound meter directly behind the car at idle,inside the cabin to determine resonation over stock and under full acceleration inside the cabin and during a pass outside the vehicle.This is standard proceedure for all exhaust companies in my experience,thus my reasoning for posting about noise inside the car.Most people (unless they;re) idiots understand when they buy an exhaust kit there is going to be an increase in sound, but Resonation inside the vehicle is generally NOT tolerated by the mass majority, not the minority that is here.This is all I am saying.I agree, the new Borla kits on the 05 is louder than the previous S95 cars etc. which is long overdue and believe me I told them that many a time.That is one of the reasons I always believed the Borla mustang sales were always on the low side compared to their competitors.Anyhoo, that is neither here nor there.You guys say its LOUD,fine its loud and I guess I have just gone deaf from the hundreds of loud borla systems I have heard over the years and I just have no idea what I am talking about ..Hmmm?,,,would someone like to compare a Borla system with the slp loudmouth or perhaps my Banks eliminator kit?.I will be glad to show everyone what loud is....Still love you all =)..>Chris
Old 9/13/05 | 08:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by subzero05@September 13, 2005, 8:15 PM
well let's see..I have been selling exhaust systems for 10 years now and I spend a good part of 3 years designing systems with Borla in conjunction with my sales duties and the #1 question I get asked still to this day is : How loud is it INSIDE the car?..What kind of drone is there?

You can see by the decible ratings posted above (if they are accurate) that the Borla system is not much louder in terms of overall sound.Sure they are healthier at WOT (which they should be), as well as idle, but sound (loudness) is measures with a sound meter directly behind the car at idle,inside the cabin to determine resonation over stock and under full acceleration inside the cabin and during a pass outside the vehicle.This is standard proceedure for all exhaust companies in my experience,thus my reasoning for posting about noise inside the car.Most people (unless they;re) idiots understand when they buy an exhaust kit there is going to be an increase in sound, but Resonation inside the vehicle is generally NOT tolerated by the mass majority, not the minority that is here.This is all I am saying.I agree, the new Borla kits on the 05 is louder than the previous S95 cars etc. which is long overdue and believe me I told them that many a time.That is one of the reasons I always believed the Borla mustang sales were always on the low side compared to their competitors.Anyhoo, that is neither here nor there.You guys say its LOUD,fine its loud and I guess I have just gone deaf from the hundreds of loud borla systems I have heard over the years and I just have no idea what I am talking about ..Hmmm?,,,would someone like to compare a Borla system with the slp loudmouth or perhaps my Banks eliminator kit?.I will be glad to show everyone what loud is....Still love you all =)..>Chris

SHOW US!!! SHOW US!!! SHOW US!!!

-Chris
Old 9/13/05 | 09:12 PM
I Have No Life

No offense Chris, but I think your going deaf.

I've compared the borla's side by side with other kits.
Its loud. And as you should know from working with borla...its always been said 'Borla's make noise when you want them to'
Which I find fantastic. An 'always on' loud gets me in trouble.

What I'd love to see in that comparison is IDLE/CRUISE/4500/WOT
WOT is the one that is NOT shown, and the new borla kit shines in volume above 3000k (as i'm sure all the other systems do, but by how much?) As soon as borla's hit that magic 3000-3200+ they are really loud.

Comparing them to a (ok lets be serious here...) muffler delete kit...thats a little nuts. Of course its going to be loud. With no resonators or mufflers, there is no changing of any sound until you get to the tip, which would do minimal. (ie: volume vs tone)

Yes, they drone...next topic

Its not about volume either...its about quality VS quantity...
Heck if you want loud...forget ANY kit and just go take those 2 clamps off and unhook the mufflers....
Old 9/13/05 | 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

ok,I give up..you guys know more..you win.
Old 9/13/05 | 09:55 PM

Originally posted by subzero05@September 13, 2005, 8:37 PM
ok,I give up..you guys know more..you win.
I'm with you Chris... I like my SLP "Muffler Delete Kit" because it is LOUD.. outside, inside, upside, downside, wherever. Parking garages, tunnels, underpasses, etc., are all now fair game for loudpedal mashing!
Old 9/13/05 | 10:25 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I still think the FFRP system in the mag is not the same one I have on the back of my car. I heard at one point that the FFRP exhaust was a Touring exhaust which wasn't nearly as loud as the new S-Type. They just used the same casing but the inners of the muffler were different.

Look, I've heard many exhausts. Tons of previous gens and handful of 05's. Are they the loudest? Probably not. Are they louder than no mufflers? Um, that's probably a dumb question. But I assure you, when mags or people say they are not much louder than stock, they are DEAD WRONG.

I drove with my stock system for 6 months before getting my borla's in May. I can say without ANY DOUBT they are almost 2 times as loud, and probably more at WOT. The difference is night at day.

There's multiple part #'s floating around, different brandings etc. etc. etc. but if you are asking about BORLA S-TYPE (loud version) axle-back or cat-back systems, then anyone saying they are not loud doesn't own the same set as me or hasn't heard them.

Someone who installed the system recently said that before bolting up the new mufflers he drove around without any mufflers. He said obviously that was loud but after he put the borla system on it wasn't much quieter. Again, not that I need evidence since I have the darn system.
Old 9/14/05 | 07:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Dan@September 13, 2005, 10:28 PM
I still think the FFRP system in the mag is not the same one I have on the back of my car. I heard at one point that the FFRP exhaust was a Touring exhaust which wasn't nearly as loud as the new S-Type. They just used the same casing but the inners of the muffler were different.

Look, I've heard many exhausts. Tons of previous gens and handful of 05's. Are they the loudest? Probably not. Are they louder than no mufflers? Um, that's probably a dumb question. But I assure you, when mags or people say they are not much louder than stock, they are DEAD WRONG.

I drove with my stock system for 6 months before getting my borla's in May. I can say without ANY DOUBT they are almost 2 times as loud, and probably more at WOT. The difference is night at day.

There's multiple part #'s floating around, different brandings etc. etc. etc. but if you are asking about BORLA S-TYPE (loud version) axle-back or cat-back systems, then anyone saying they are not loud doesn't own the same set as me or hasn't heard them.

Someone who installed the system recently said that before bolting up the new mufflers he drove around without any mufflers. He said obviously that was loud but after he put the borla system on it wasn't much quieter. Again, not that I need evidence since I have the darn system.

Fair enough Dan....I will go along with your opinion and theory on the Borla differences.I do agree the one style i heard were louder than the other style ones.next time someone wants a set of the Borla mufflers for their car (the louder ones) as you say, They may want to ask borla (or the dealer) they are getting them from if the louder ones incorporate Borla's XR1-racing muffler technology?..This could explain the sound difference between the two systems as the cores of the XR1 style mufflers is completely different than their standard straight thru ones...just a thought..OH,I FORGOT I gave up because i don't know anything and i should not have given this information because you guys know more...oops

Just kidding
Old 9/14/05 | 07:16 AM
I Have No Life

Don't be like that...

We are just having a friendly convo/debate about the volumes and all that jazz.

Old 9/14/05 | 08:21 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Dan@September 13, 2005, 9:28 PM
2 part numbers M-5230-5GT is the Borla S-Type M-5230-5GTQ is a toned down version, don't know if it's an S-Type or not because Motorsports website is so lame they don't have the right images representing the products and I haven't seen a "Q" in person, so I don't know if it's an S-Type with more noise reduction or a chambered muffler like the V6 exhaust.

The "Q" version just recently popped up in the past couple of weeks.

The part number that MM&FF used was M-5230-5GT. I have that issue and one thing that they did leave out was where they were getting that sound measuement.

I'd be willing to bet that they got the readings from behind the car, which I would concede that at 2,000 rpms the sound level could very well be the same as stock from behind. However the cabin noise is greatly increased over stock at that magic "drone-range". It does drone and rattles everything not nailed down inside the car.
Old 9/14/05 | 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

The Q version has oval canister mufflers. The regular S type version has the round canisters. I got the Q version in the mail and sent them back for the S types. I think the people who are saying it's quiet are listening to the oval Q version. I will be able to tell you first hand this weekend. We plan to do before and after sound clips this weekend, so if anyone can host them, we will be happy to e-mail them to you. Pete? Dan? Bueler? Anyone?
Old 9/14/05 | 09:28 AM
I Have No Life

Jewls...get a soundclip and let me know (PM me)

If I'm around I'll make room to host, compress etc

Quick Reply: FRPP (not impressed)