GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP (not impressed)

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/05 | 05:15 PM

I just finished installing my new FRPP mufflers (Borla S-Type) and all I can say is Ho Hum. They don't sound bad, just not what I was looking for. The sound is a little louder then stock and a bit more throatier (is that a word?) I hate to admit this, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I detect a slight tone of "RICE" coming from my V-8 with these new mufflers. Maby I just got used to the stock sound and need to give these a few days to get used to them. Oh, and if it matters, both my wife and two kids think the new mufflers sound great, go figure. On a side note, I love the way they look and installation was straight forward.
Old 9/12/05 | 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

ain't nothing like the real thing baby!
Old 9/12/05 | 05:54 PM

Jim, I heard a set in person Friday night at the track, and I agree with you... I wasn't impressed. I liked my old SLP PowerFlos better.

Of course, I'm now loving the Loudmouths.
Old 9/12/05 | 07:02 PM
I Have No Life

Some people just don't like sounding good I guess

Just messin with ya.

Its not for everyone.

**disclaimer: Mind you I have NOT heard the FRPP side by side with borla's to find out if they are EXACTLY the same. As in the same way Steeda's are NOT exactly the same as the Borla S-Types...but close**

As if your saying its slightly louder than stock..somethings wrong...
And rice???
Uh...definately not!

If you think these sound rice....you got some serious short circuits upstairs
Borla clips
Old 9/12/05 | 07:08 PM
FR500 Member

That or someone slipped you the "Q" version by mistake. There's no way my Ford Racing set is anywhere close to what stock was....by a longshot.

OR

He posted this to drive Ghost GT absolutely crazy since he's now settled on the Borla's.
Old 9/12/05 | 07:48 PM
Cobra Member

I mentioned before..Don't expect the Borla stuff to be much more than the stock system..they aren't..If you are looking for just a little healthier growl then fine, but the Borla's on mustangs are generally never loud,or even major statement making
Old 9/12/05 | 07:54 PM

No I do not have the Q version. I associate the "RICE" sound with the somewhat tinny noise they emit. I'm not saying they don't sound good, there just not what I expected. I cant say for sure that these are exactly the same as the Borla S-Type, but the instructions that came with the mufflers refer to them as Borla's. As far as the sound clips Boomer refers to, mine sound like that, but, as I described earler, with a touch of tin included. I'm going to recheck them tomorrow to make sure nothing in rubbing or touching.
Old 9/12/05 | 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

My Flowmasters sound like "Rice" with my off-road x-pipe as well at moderate speeds. But when I floor it, they sound great. Gonna have to live with them till I get my shorties. They should cut down on the tinny sound and add more growl.
Old 9/12/05 | 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine sound great! I do get that tinney bugle(rice) sound once in a while when I first start up and take off though. Hopefully it's just something I have to tighten up .
Old 9/12/05 | 08:30 PM
I Have No Life

Originally posted by subzero05@September 12, 2005, 7:51 PM
I mentioned before..Don't expect the Borla stuff to be much more than the stock system..they aren't..If you are looking for just a little healthier growl then fine, but the Borla's on mustangs are generally never loud,or even major statement making

You obviously have not heard the Borla's. I compared my magnapaks to a stock GT. Big difference, then Boomer decided to show me what the Borla's sound like. I couldn't hear my car running when his was idleing. If I heard the Borla's before placing an order that is what I would have gotten.
Old 9/12/05 | 08:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

and the debate continues!
Old 9/12/05 | 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@September 12, 2005, 7:11 PM
That or someone slipped you the "Q" version by mistake. There's no way my Ford Racing set is anywhere close to what stock was....by a longshot.

OR

He posted this to drive Ghost GT absolutely crazy since he's now settled on the Borla's.

:jedi: :jedi: :jedi:
Old 9/12/05 | 09:26 PM
I Have No Life

Older borla's ... sure... the conventional style muffler....
The S-Types...NO WAY they are 'slightly louder than stock'
These things are LOUD.

Adrenalin is correct when we met up... the video doesn't lie...when we compared, the borla's were almost double louder than the magnapacks, which were way louder than stock as well.

I don't get where this RICE comment is coming from.
Are you refering to the noise inside the cabin?
If you are...thats NOT the noise thats on the outside of the car....believe me....

Dan and I (who both have the axleback from Borla) meet up now and again, and take turns launching and running them past each other....they basically sound like a Nascar... a very loud and racy (not ricey) sound.
Deep at idle and take off....harsh and throaty at mid-upper range.... and VERY loud at 3000+rpm.
Old 9/12/05 | 11:07 PM
GT Member

Corsa all the way: little louder than stock, beautiful low tone throughout rpm range. Best looking tips available in my opinion. Downside = cost 2 arms and a leg, are a bit heavy compared to stock.
Old 9/12/05 | 11:15 PM
Cobra Member

Ricey? Now that is hilarious! While most people will admit that the sound of Borla's is not for everyone... they are, in my opinion, absolutely the epitome of NOT ricey.
Old 9/12/05 | 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

If you decide to change them, look at the Flowmasters. I got mine installed today, and love them. they do not sound anything like the soundclips. At startup they are deep, and have a nice burble when taking your foot off the accelereator. At higher RPM's they sound nice also. There is some drone, but adjust your speed and you can get rid of it. On the freeway in overdrive they are almost as quiet as stock. I was planning on getting a Bassani X with cats, but since HP increase is minimal, This will be the extent of my exhaust upgrades, unless someone comes out with a set of shorty headers that have some HP increases.
Old 9/13/05 | 01:26 AM
Cobra R Member

I rather hear the WHAMP of the air sucking in over the sound of it going out the back. This could be the reason for my low MPG listening to the JLT doing its stuff.
Old 9/13/05 | 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by subzero05@September 12, 2005, 7:51 PM

not even remotely true---mine scream ALOT more then stock, i have the catback-----trust me---
Old 9/13/05 | 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Patience@September 13, 2005, 10:07 AM
not even remotely true---mine scream ALOT more then stock, i have the catback-----trust me---
All I can say is on the "S" type catback.
Old 9/13/05 | 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

get the loudmouths..they live up to their name!

Quick Reply: FRPP (not impressed)