GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI survey, please read

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/07, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have my Attention Please post pics and #s as soon as possible.
Old 10/26/07, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

depends on the gains.
Old 10/26/07, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

Ken,

I'd be will to trade my jlt cai even and be your spokes car, but I can't see paying to switch.

Roger
Old 10/26/07, 03:49 PM
Bullitt Member

INITIAL RESULTS ARE IN!

It performed pretty much as expected. Unfortunately my materials did not get here today so I can't post a pretty picture for you. I plan on making a few tweaks based on the initial results which may net a few more ponies. Hope to have a version done to post pics of by mid next week.

This is on a BONE stock 2007 manual GT. NO OTHER MODS

Baseline
256 rwhp 273 rwtq

MDR intake and tune

285 rwhp 306 rwtq

To be clear, I didn't get tricky at all with the tunes. So we can have a good comparison, all I used for the MDR tune was SCT base files with proper adjustments only for MAF. This will give a fair picture of what is possible. With a truly custom tune, more is possible. When the final version is done, I will do a test this way and then another with one of my special tunes in it.

Old 10/26/07, 04:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you running 93 octane timing values with the tune? I plan to run 87 octane only.
Old 10/26/07, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Are you running 93 octane timing values with the tune? I plan to run 87 octane only.

Yes 93 octane. That is what 95% of my customers run, so that's what I test with.

I forgot to mention, since these are hand made unique intakes, we are going to serialize them. Each one will have a very small metal tag on it with a unique serial number. We are going to run a special price on them for the first run. Maybe 20-30 CAIs.

Ken
Old 10/27/07, 08:39 AM
V6 Member

Kelly is a very happy girl right now Its very cool to be involved with this project, even if it is just my car haha. It is amazing to see how this is coming together. The initial numbers are exciting and once the final product is released i think it will be turning heads!

I am generally impressed with the 05-07's. I have own several mustangs, mostly 87-93's and my most recent trade in for the 07 was an 03. These new stangs make me proud to be a mustang owner!
Old 10/28/07, 11:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Yeah the Granetelli is cast.

I think Doug from BamaChips did a test that showed there was no difference in intake temp vs. material once the engine was warmed up. Plastic takes a longer time to warm up, but once its at temperature there wouldn't be a difference. Besides that, whatever takes longer to heat up, also takes longer to cool down.

One advantage I can see for your setup over a cast one is that the inside of the intake tube will be smoother for better flow.

Oh yeah one bit of feedback I learned from the Granetelli...don't cheap out on the filter. After paying $400 on the intake w/MAF i dropped another $50 for a K&N because I had no confidence the cheap filter Granetelli provided.
Old 10/29/07, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
Yeah the Granetelli is cast.

I think Doug from BamaChips did a test that showed there was no difference in intake temp vs. material once the engine was warmed up. Plastic takes a longer time to warm up, but once its at temperature there wouldn't be a difference. Besides that, whatever takes longer to heat up, also takes longer to cool down.

One advantage I can see for your setup over a cast one is that the inside of the intake tube will be smoother for better flow.

Oh yeah one bit of feedback I learned from the Granetelli...don't cheap out on the filter. After paying $400 on the intake w/MAF i dropped another $50 for a K&N because I had no confidence the cheap filter Granetelli provided.
Good post. Our CAI is one piece with no seems from the integrated velocity stack through the meter section and past it.

The trend in the market is a no-oil filter. While I do believe that over oiling causes problems with your MAF, if used properly, I think K&N has some of the best filters out there. I'm considering including a K&N with our kit. I've done back to back testing on a few different filter design and the K&N always performns best. It's not always a matter of more flow, some of it has to do with the design.

Ken
Old 10/29/07, 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Ken what is a realistic release date on this thing? I'm about to pull the trigger on a CAI, but if this thing is as good as you claim then I would be willing to hold off on buying now and consider yours if the wait time is reasonable.
Old 10/29/07, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Ken

Same here, I am leaning towards the Granatelli but If you can get one in a short period of time I would be willing to wait.
Old 10/29/07, 01:48 PM

Not to embarass Ken, but if his intro post link wasn't enough to satisfy you of his ability, he was just mentioned in the December 07 issue of 5.0 magazine as an "ace tuner". Check out page 162. He's mentioned in the article about Victor Downs. Ken has tuned my car as well as performed other work on it and not only is the tune excellent, the service that all of the MD folks provide is the best I have ever seen. If you ever have a legitimate problem, they take care of it, period. No bull. And no, I don't work there and I'm not affiliated with them. It's just so hard finding a premium shop to work on these cars and they are it.

Ken, your fabbed intake sounds interesting and sounds like it will look really cool. Since I already have a C&L street intake, I would be interested in coming down on a Sat. if you want and see what the diff in the numbers would be on your new unit. Very good numbers on Kelly's car!
Old 10/29/07, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Hoping to be shipping within two weeks. I will have a picture posted by the end of the week. We are just about finalized on the design.

thanks for the kind words Dan. You would still be cooler with a Whipple.

Ken
Old 10/29/07, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds great Ken, I'll definitely be holding off on buying the other CAI and anxiously awaiting those pics
Old 10/29/07, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by KenB
You would still be cooler with a Whipple.

Ken
I know, I know, gotta get Whipped! We'll see early next year. You'll have to take me for a ride in yours when you install it...I hope those new wheels/tires of yours are 10 inchers on the back.
Old 10/30/07, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, got the second prototype built. This was a dry run on making a production one. Figuring out the easiest ways to get it built, and what materials to use etc. This is pretty close to how a production one will look. This one is not fully polished and although the welds are great, we are going to pay even closer attention to detail to make them look as good as possible on the production units. As you can see in the pic, we also have a heat shield. The kit will have plastic edging on it.

I also wanted to point out a few things about our CAI. I also made a graphic of most of these points to help illustrate them. Between the pics and the graphic it should all make sense.

Our CAI is all one piece from the inlet to past the MAF. This allows for the smoothest airflow possible. We also built in a velocity stack to help our goal of max SMOOTH flow. Many CAIs out their flow great but create so much turbulence, the flow number is only half the story. We also use 3.5" tubing for the main section. This alows for better low flow meter compared to large pipe CAIs. The end of our CAI is flared to 4.5" which equals the area of the throttle body. This is another feature I feel is very important. Some CAIs have very bad trasitions directly before the throttle body which creates alot of unwanted turbluence.

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Remember, the production CAI will be available in a highly polished finish, black or color matched to your car.

Old 10/31/07, 03:33 AM
Bullitt Member

wow, I think I may buy your CAI, to hell with carb thats nice, and a body colored one, forget about it.

those welds look great, if thats what you put out in your production model it gives me alot of confidence in the quality of your work.
Old 10/31/07, 05:47 AM
Cobra Member

KenB,
Looks great! I'm on hold for a CAI til this is available. I have auto. tranny. How are your tunes for that? Will you test this on an auto. GT?

thanks!
-Yao

Originally Posted by KenB
Ok, got the second prototype built. This was a dry run on making a production one. Figuring out the easiest ways to get it built, and what materials to use etc. This is pretty close to how a production one will look. This one is not fully polished and although the welds are great, we are going to pay even closer attention to detail to make them look as good as possible on the production units. As you can see in the pic, we also have a heat shield. The kit will have plastic edging on it.

I also wanted to point out a few things about our CAI. I also made a graphic of most of these points to help illustrate them. Between the pics and the graphic it should all make sense.

Our CAI is all one piece from the inlet to past the MAF. This allows for the smoothest airflow possible. We also built in a velocity stack to help our goal of max SMOOTH flow. Many CAIs out their flow great but create so much turbulence, the flow number is only half the story. We also use 3.5" tubing for the main section. This alows for better low flow meter compared to large pipe CAIs. The end of our CAI is flared to 4.5" which equals the area of the throttle body. This is another feature I feel is very important. Some CAIs have very bad trasitions directly before the throttle body which creates alot of unwanted turbluence.

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Remember, the production CAI will be available in a highly polished finish, black or color matched to your car.

Old 10/31/07, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
KenB,
Looks great! I'm on hold for a CAI til this is available. I have auto. tranny. How are your tunes for that? Will you test this on an auto. GT?

thanks!
-Yao

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yao,

You're in luck. The car in that picture is my own personal 05 auto. So I drive an auto everyday. I'm constantly revising my auto tunes to dial them in. The thing with autos is, everyone likes their tune a bit different based on driving style. The tune on my own car is available but I can make changes however the customer wants. A good example on the differences on auto tunes, I keep my torque converter locked at closed throttle, some don't like this.
Old 10/31/07, 07:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MustangRetribution
wow, I think I may buy your CAI, to hell with carb thats nice, and a body colored one, forget about it.

those welds look great, if thats what you put out in your production model it gives me alot of confidence in the quality of your work.
Nice fabrication.
Question Ken.
I'm putting together a parts list and your product looks to fit what I'm looking for. Do you see any need to use the Steeda throttle body spacer with your CAI or is it a waste? Or just go with the CMDP delete plates with one of your custom tunes. This is a daily driver (75/day) so I don't want to go too radical(for now). I've also read that tunes for the 08's are not ready yet, what is the difference between the 07's and 08's that make it so different?

Mike

Quick Reply: CAI survey, please read