GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI survey, please read

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/07, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KenB
One issue with many of the aftermarket CAIs is MAF signal quality. This is where our setup really shines. THis should lead to improved fuel economy.

It will require a tune just like most other CAIs.
I've been running the C&L Street CAI (with no-tune insert) since May, with zero issues and thoroughly enjoyed the performance gain. Just curious: what specific issues are you referring to regarding the "MAF signal quality"?
Old 10/25/07, 07:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like he answered that same question just before you posted it. Go back one post and read.
Old 10/25/07, 07:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
What kind of tune will we need? A custom dynotune or will a good canned tune be supplied? What about current SCT PRP users (including those who bought the SCT PRP from Modular Depot years ago)? Would we be able to obtain the air transfer function with the purchase of a MD CAI kit?

I would consider one if it were well engineered: 100% drop-in replacement, no vehicle modifications, with a solid MAF mount and a filter retention designed to be easily replaced/removed for cleaning.
Old 10/25/07, 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
What kind of tune will we need? A custom dynotune or will a good canned tune be supplied? What about current SCT PRP users (including those who bought the SCT PRP from Modular Depot years ago)? Would we be able to obtain the air transfer function with the purchase of a MD CAI kit?

I would consider one if it were well engineered: 100% drop-in replacement, no vehicle modifications, with a solid MAF mount and a filter retention designed to be easily replaced/removed for cleaning.
I will most likely offer a tune with the kit. I will consider releasing the MAF transfer function. That will probably be the best way to handle it.

It should meet all your needs. It has a heat sheild/mount and the air filter will be easily removable without removing the entire CAI.

Ken
Old 10/26/07, 01:14 AM
Cobra Member

i still need a CAI

im about the pull the trigger on Steeda cai/elbow.

however, this sounds interesiting and if you move fast enough, you maye be able to sway me from steeda.

-Yao
Old 10/26/07, 03:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That sounds excellent Ken. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!!
Old 10/26/07, 03:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I will most likely offer a tune with the kit. I will consider releasing the MAF transfer function. That will probably be the best way to handle it.

It should meet all your needs. It has a heat sheild/mount and the air filter will be easily removable without removing the entire CAI.

Ken

I may be interested if your tunes can stack up with bama/tillman/brenspeeds.
Old 10/26/07, 06:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Etnix
I was running a tune from one of the three tuners you mentioned. I am now running one of Ken's tunes, and let me tell you....it blew the other tune away!
Old 10/26/07, 06:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ken, I know this may go against MD's business case for the CAI project, but one thing that I found a bit annoying with some of the CAI kits is that if I were to purchase one, it would include a flasher with a canned tune. I bet that if the vendor chose not to include the flasher w/ a canned tune, it would shave a few hundred dollars off the CAI price. There aren't many SCT PRP users here, but it'd be great if MD considered selling a special CAI package to current PRP users where it includes the CAI hardware and the value file needed by the PRP user. I look forward to seeing the MD CAI! Thanks for considering the S197 market!!
Old 10/26/07, 06:25 AM
Bullitt Member

You can't 'stack' tunes. If I make the MAF transfer public, then they can update your tune for you.
Old 10/26/07, 06:33 AM
Bullitt Member

You can't 'stack' tunes. If I make the MAF transfer public, then they can update your tune for you.

I am sorry, I did not mean to have them stack literally. What I did mean was are your tunes just as good or better?
I know the reputation of the tuners I previously listed because of the large following on these forums, however I do not know much info about you...
Old 10/26/07, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I am sorry, I did not mean to have them stack literally. What I did mean was are your tunes just as good or better?
I know the reputation of the tuners I previously listed because of the large following on these forums, however I do not know much info about you...

Well, I'm not here really to start a debate on mail order tuning. that could turn ugly. I believe my tunes can compete at any level. I also drive a 05 auto everyday, so I'm constantly revising my tune to make it better.
Old 10/26/07, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

If you want to read more about us, check out this post

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ight=introduce
Old 10/26/07, 06:47 AM

What causes the "noise" in the signal? Is it shrouded some way or not placed properly in the airstream?
I have the Racer from C&L and have no issues with throttle lag or such gremlins. I run 3-4 tenths quicker than a couple of guys with similar setups and different CAI (read: JLT).
I would be interested to see some dyno comparisons with yours against 3-4 of the most popular units currently available. I think this would sell me if it did indeed out shine the competition. Just my $.02
Old 10/26/07, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DavidM
What causes the "noise" in the signal? Is it shrouded some way or not placed properly in the airstream?
I have the Racer from C&L and have no issues with throttle lag or such gremlins. I run 3-4 tenths quicker than a couple of guys with similar setups and different CAI (read: JLT).
I would be interested to see some dyno comparisons with yours against 3-4 of the most popular units currently available. I think this would sell me if it did indeed out shine the competition. Just my $.02
Many things can effect the quality of the signal. The location of it in relation to the inlet (air filter). The shape of the tube before/after the electronics and tube diameter. With larger tube diameters, signal quality at idle is very bad because velocity is very low.

I'll be doing a bone stock 07 today. We will do a baseline and a tuned/JLT setup and a tuned/MDR setup. I'll have to look and see if I have any other CAIs in stock to use.
Old 10/26/07, 07:23 AM

Should be interesting. Anxious to see the results.
Old 10/26/07, 09:19 AM

I am in the market for a CAI and after reading some about Ken, I do believe I will see what he has to offer. I see that you will be able to paint them I assume to match the car color if desired , is this correct?
Old 10/26/07, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by underdog65
I am in the market for a CAI and after reading some about Ken, I do believe I will see what he has to offer. I see that you will be able to paint them I assume to match the car color if desired , is this correct?

Yes, we have a paint booth here and do all types of paint work. They will probably be offered in polished, black and factory color match.

I drove my car home and back to the shop and so far so good. Car seems a bit smoother but that really is subjective. I'm going to fill up and track fuel milage. Will have the back to back testing up later today from the dyno session on a stock 07 GT.
Old 10/26/07, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone have a tune for 08 GT's yet? I keep hearing they are not available yet.
Thanks
LJS
Old 10/26/07, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

Interesting.

Quick Reply: CAI survey, please read