GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI survey, please read

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/07, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI survey, please read

I would like some feedback on CAIs from the Mustang Source users.

If we could deliver an aluminum (thin wall, not cast) tig welded CAI with some unique design features that improve drivability and MAF signal quality and produce similar horsepower and torque (most likely a torque increase) who would switch?

I have a prototype on my car that has done just this. It's not really fit to post pictures of since it has gone through many revisions and isn't the prettiest. But it does make great power and the MAF signal is better than any of the leading CAIs out there.

I'm just trying to see who out there would be willing to give this a shot if we released it? I'm going to make a new one from scratch that should look pretty much like the final version. Should be able to post pics tomorrow.

It will be available in both polished, black or color matched to your car.

Ken
Old 10/25/07, 02:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This would all depend on costs, tuner requirements, and quality. I personally have one of the first WMS intakes and would give it up for anything unless of course I get blown in the future.
Old 10/25/07, 02:55 PM

Depends on performance improvements compared to what is already out there, ease of installation, appearance and finally cost.
Old 10/25/07, 03:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just put my Steeda on last week, so no chance of me buying another one for awhile. Unless ofcourse yours is able to produce crazy #'s.

Still interested in seeing your product though...word of mouth is better than nothing.
Old 10/25/07, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Cost will be very good for what you are getting. This is all high quality aluminum. Not plastic or PVC piping. I'm estimating a retail fo $249-$269

Appearance should be outstanding and performance should be as good or better than the top CAIs out there.

One issue with many of the aftermarket CAIs is MAF signal quality. This is where our setup really shines. THis should lead to improved fuel economy.

It will require a tune just like most other CAIs.
Old 10/25/07, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Personally I like a plastic CAI because it has a cooler intake charge!!!
Old 10/25/07, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GAGT
Personally I like a plastic CAI because it has a cooler intake charge!!!

That is the reason for using thin wall aluminum tubing. It will keep things much cooler than cast.

I'm very proud of my Mustang and I have a hard time with most of the plastic or PVC intakes out there. Just doesn't scream high quality even if it does make power. That was the intent of this project. Give similar or higher gains with a much better looking and stronger built product.

This piece will be the same quality you would get on a high end race car. If you came to me and asked me to build one of these (and we weren't going to offer them as a regular part number) you would pay $500+ for this intake.
Old 10/25/07, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

I would be really interested in this CAI!! I'm currently in the market for one and a tuner for my '07, and being a former aircraft mechanic, I love the look of a nicely fabricated aluminum part!!
Old 10/25/07, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
I would be really interested in this CAI!! I'm currently in the market for one and a tuner for my '07, and being a former aircraft mechanic, I love the look of a nicely fabricated aluminum part!!

Well, in that case, here is another project we are working on.

Old 10/25/07, 03:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yea, I'm still droolin' over that!!!!
Old 10/25/07, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Im still in the market for a CAI, though I have pretty much decided on what I had wanted I could test out your product for you
Old 10/25/07, 03:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool

Yea, I could test one out for you as well, let me know if you really do need someone to help you out like that!! The racing season is pretty much done up here, but I do drive the car daily (unless its really snowing hard) and will be going to the track as soon as I can (need to get deeper in to the 13's!!) maybe even going south for the holidays!!
Old 10/25/07, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I'm done tuning. Initial results are good but remember this is only one car. My car is an auto which makes it a bit tougher to make comparisons. Tomorrow we will be bolting the intake on Kelly's Mustang. She has an 07 manual bone stock GT.

Results on my car were 2 rwhp and 8 rwtq over my JLT II. 2 rwhp doesn't seem like a lot but you're not going to see huge gains over what is already out there. The torque gains were down low and were expected based on the way it was designed. The goal of this project was build quality, looks, fuel milage and any gains are gravy. Going to leave it on mine and see if i see any fuel milage increases.

Will post up tomorrow with the results on Kelly's car and a picture of a pre-release version of the CAI.
Old 10/25/07, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

well, unfortunately Im looking for something CARB certified, not that its hard to switch out a CAI, I just rather not. I hate living in Cali sometimes.
Old 10/25/07, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ken, I would be interested! I am concerned about my C&L because it is rubbing on the radiator hose. Eventually its going to wear through. Does your new CAI have any clearance issues??
Old 10/25/07, 06:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

How does this compare to the Granatelli CAI with inline MAP sensor relay? I've been using this for over a year (10k miles) w/no issues.
Old 10/25/07, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by holeshot
Ken, I would be interested! I am concerned about my C&L because it is rubbing on the radiator hose. Eventually its going to wear through. Does your new CAI have any clearance issues??

Ours does not lay on the radiator hose, part of the design. I don't foresee any clearance issues.

I believe the granatelli is a cast intake. This is a hand fabricated intake that is tig welded. This may not be an intake for everyone, but there are many out there that like that custom look. Here's an example of blower tubing we did on a car recently.

The CAI will have more welds and will be a very cool looking intake. It's hard to really see the welds in that picture above. It's really just a matter of taste. Some may not like the look.

Ken
Old 10/25/07, 06:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Please elaborate a little on the MAF voltage signal you were talking about? How does that make yours better?
Old 10/25/07, 06:49 PM
Cobra Member

You've piqued my interest too, Ken.
I like the polished Aluminum look and I'm also in market for CAI and tune.

|Do show and tell
Old 10/25/07, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
Please elaborate a little on the MAF voltage signal you were talking about? How does that make yours better?
It's important in a few of ways. A better MAF signal will allow for more accurate/repeatable tuning. A noisy MAF can also lead to poor milage. A noisy signal can also go hand-in-hand with poor tip-in response. This is because of poor metering/turbulence during tip-in. That's just a few of them.

Quick Reply: CAI survey, please read