GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/06, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ March 4, 2006, 4:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
This is the one for you Don!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Lincol...985336456QQrdZ1

I am sure this guy sells the PCM for the motor.. email him and ask..
[/b][/quote]

ahaha... thanks, I appreciate it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Let's see... he wants $2500 + $400 shipping. And I'm pretty sure it will have a cast crank and "hyperpathetic" rods and pistons again. So, add in the cost of a forged rotating assembly and labor, and we're closing in on 5 G's. <gulp>
Old 3/4/06, 05:37 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 3, 2006, 3:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
OK... I guess I'm still looking for a Teksid block. I thought I had one bought from a member on another forum, but after I sent him money on Monday, he quit responding to e-mails/PMs on Tuesday. Not sure if I've been ripped off or not, but the fact remains, I need a block badly!! Guess I need to go look at e-Bay again. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

WAIT A COTTON PICKEN MINUTE!!!! You sent this "gentleman" the funds and NADA!?!? World Trade Federation (WTF)? Have you been pursuing this legaly? Have you tried to find out of any other forum members might know this guy? Were the funds in the form of a personal check, cashiers check? Money Order? Gold Ingots???

Man, before I spent dime one on ANOTHER FREAKIN BLOCK. I think I would verify that this guy was ripping me off and consider a hit (LEGAL DISCLAIMER: That was my vain attempt at humor. I know!!! My wife doesn't think I'm funny either. I am in no way encouraging anyone to commit any act which might be illegal or immoral). But seriously folks...... Are you just going to write off this money??? And If so I have a ALL forged 3v stroker 5.0 crafted from the finest unobtainium by mystical Norse Elves! You can have it for........ whatever you have that you are also willing to just write off.

Don, I'm so sorry about your block going kablam and I don't envy you having to replace it with a big bucks unit. But, you can't let this male organ get away with this fully digested and excreeted food substances. If he lives within 100 miles of Bakersfield, I'll drop by and have a talk with him. I'm a VERY GOOD TALKER.

I gotta assume we have members all over the US who will likely at the very least run by and say Hi for you.
Old 3/4/06, 05:38 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 4, 2006, 4:36 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ahaha... thanks, I appreciate it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Let's see... he wants $2500 + $400 shipping. And I'm pretty sure it will have a cast crank and "hyperpathetic" rods and pistons again. So, add in the cost of a forged rotating assembly and labor, and we're closing in on 5 G's. <gulp>
[/b][/quote]

Yep.. So you dont think it should be the same short block of the Ford GT? That seems like alot of wasted resources for Ford to make a bunch of different short blocks..

2005 Lincoln Navigator Specifications
Quick Specs
Submodels: Base
Body Styles: 4-Dr Sport Utility
Engines: 5.4L V8
Transmissions: 4 Speed Automatic
Drivetrains: Rear Wheel Drive
2005 Lincoln Navigator Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
-5,408 cc 5.4 liters V 8 front engine with 90.2 mm bore, 105.9 mm stroke, 9.5 compression ratio, overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and three valves per cylinder
-Premium unleaded fuel 91
-Multi-point injection fuel system
-28 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank
-Heavy duty starter
-Power: 224 kW , 300 HP SAE @ 5,000 rpm; 365 ft lb , 495 Nm @ 3,750 rpm
Old 3/4/06, 05:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 4, 2006, 7:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Kellogg made the Cobra and Mach 1 cranks for Ford: http://www.kelloggcrankshaft.com/production.htm
[/b][/quote]

Very interesting. Has Kellogg made all years of the forged cranks for the Cobra's? Reason I ask is when I bought my 96 Cobra new the hype at the time was the block was cast in Italy and the crank was forged in Germany. Guess it could have been forged over there and machined at Kellogg.
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 06:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eric n @ March 4, 2006, 4:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
WAIT A COTTON PICKEN MINUTE!!!! You sent this "gentleman" the funds and NADA!?!? World Trade Federation (WTF)? Have you been pursuing this legaly? Have you tried to find out of any other forum members might know this guy? Were the funds in the form of a personal check, cashiers check? Money Order? Gold Ingots???

Man, before I spent dime one on ANOTHER FREAKIN BLOCK. I think I would verify that this guy was ripping me off and consider a hit (LEGAL DISCLAIMER: That was my vain attempt at humor. I know!!! My wife doesn't think I'm funny either. I am in no way encouraging anyone to commit any act which might be illegal or immoral). But seriously folks...... Are you just going to write off this money??? And If so I have a ALL forged 3v stroker 5.0 crafted from the finest unobtainium by mystical Norse Elves! You can have it for........ whatever you have that you are also willing to just write off.

Don, I'm so sorry about your block going kablam and I don't envy you having to replace it with a big bucks unit. But, you can't let this male organ get away with this fully digested and excreeted food substances. If he lives within 100 miles of Bakersfield, I'll drop by and have a talk with him. I'm a VERY GOOD TALKER.

I gotta assume we have members all over the US who will likely at the very least run by and say Hi for you.
[/b][/quote]
LOL... no, I haven't just dismissed it. But, I can't just sit and wait... I need a block, so the search continues.

BTW, I have told him via e-mail, PM and left messages on his cell phone and work phone that I expect him to send the $400 back to my PayPal account by 9:00am Monday morning. If he doesn't, then I will publish his full name, e-mail address, where he works, and his work and cell phone numbers on multiple Mustang forum boards. I don't know if he knows what kind of harassment he might be in for then. We might disagree on these boards from time to time, but I doubt we'll tolerate thieves amongst us.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ March 4, 2006, 4:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yep.. So you dont think it should be the same short block of the Ford GT? That seems like alot of wasted resources for Ford to make a bunch of different short blocks..
[/b][/quote]
I would be surprised if the same short block was in the Navigator as in the Ford GT. There are many reasons Ford uses the hypereutectic stuff, but none of the reasons is for performance!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ March 4, 2006, 4:57 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Very interesting. Has Kellogg made all years of the forged cranks for the Cobra's? Reason I ask is when I bought my 96 Cobra new the hype at the time was the block was cast in Italy and the crank was forged in Germany. Guess it could have been forged over there and machined at Kellogg.
[/b][/quote]
Good question... don't know. Maybe they only did the 03/04 Cobras???
Old 4/21/06, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bump!!! Be out of touch for awhile. Don, What's the latest on your engine rebuild?
Old 4/21/06, 05:16 PM

Lot of missing posts in this thread... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

Anyway, here is the latest. We have the Teksid block, Cobra forged crank and Scat forged H-beam rods. About 3 weeks ago, I decided to go with a custom-built set of JE pistons, instead of some off-the-shelf pistons. Because these motors are so sensitive to knock issues, we didn't want to mess around with any possibility of slop in the pistons. So, after Adam made a ton of calls and got a bunch of info, I felt getting pistons custom made would be my best bet. They are being made using the top grade aluminum alloy (2816 or 2618... don't remember exactly). They will have the correct wrist pin offset, plus will have a stronger pin. The tolerances will be tight, and the valve reliefs will be fly cut to allow a cam swap if I decide to do it someday. Also, they will be coated to keep the surface temps down to help minimize the chance of detonation. Finally, they will be dished somewhat to drop the compression ratio down to the 9.1-9.2 range. This should also make them more compatible with our 91 octane gas out here in CA. Of course, all this custom work takes time... about 3-4 weeks. But we don't have them yet. I'm hoping they show up next week... keep your fingers crossed.

Once the pistons arrive, the machine shop (Dougan's Racing Engines) will be able to build the shortblock. From what I have been told, Doogans is top notch! They build all of John Mihovetz' race motors. If you don't know Mihovetz, he has a 4.6L, twin turbo Cougar that runs in the 6's in the 1/4-mi. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] I have seen him run in the NHRA Comp class at Pomona and Vegas. Badazz...

The tranny is done now also (see The Wish List thread for details on it).
Old 4/21/06, 05:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Don,
Sounds like your doing it all the right way with the best of components. I am not familiar with you engine builder but I thought John M's engines are built by Sean Hyland. At least Sean Hyland makes that claim.
Please keep us updated on your progress. We are very interested.
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/21/06, 06:28 PM

Hmmm... maybe I misunderstood what I was told about John M. I'll try to get clarification.
Old 4/23/06, 06:43 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don, thanks again for the info yesterday 4/22/06. Very sorry to hear about your car, I'm not sure when that happened compared to when you left your message for me.

I've been told by GTR High Performance and Earl's Automotive that with the Saleen SC tunes with just the injectors, pulley, and airbox changed out, that 425-430 is the rwhp limit for this car max unless the other change outs(they do for the Saleen extreme ect...) are performed. Both feel that even there you must be ever mindful. Of course there are so many numbers flying around, there are no absolutes. Erik
Old 4/23/06, 09:19 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ April 21, 2006, 4:54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don,
Sounds like your doing it all the right way with the best of components. I am not familiar with you engine builder but I thought John M's engines are built by Sean Hyland. At least Sean Hyland makes that claim.
Please keep us updated on your progress. We are very interested.
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Just for clarification, I got a PM from John Mihovetz over at Modular Fords, that said: "Dougans does not "build" my engines, I do. They machine my blocks. That being said, they bore it to the size I tell them, hone it to the size I tell them and deck it to the size I tell them and that's it. All cylinder heads and balancing is done in house."

I just wanted to make sure I was posting the correct info for the record.
Old 4/23/06, 10:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry about the mishap Don. Keep us updated
Old 4/23/06, 12:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ April 23, 2006, 10:22 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just for clarification, I got a PM from John Mihovetz over at Modular Fords, that said: "Dougans does not "build" my engines, I do. They machine my blocks. That being said, they bore it to the size I tell them, hone it to the size I tell them and deck it to the size I tell them and that's it. All cylinder heads and balancing is done in house."

I just wanted to make sure I was posting the correct info for the record.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the clarification Don. Sounds like Sean Hyland needs to update his website.
Thanks Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]