GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/06, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bigger, Stronger, Faster - It appears that may be my new motto, as I start down the path of a new built-up short block. Yes... my motor decided to commit suicide on the dyno yesterday. We’re not really sure what happened. It never was running right all day long. The timing was really low, and Adam was trying to figure out why it wouldn’t make any power. He didn’t push it because of that reason (never more than 14 degrees all day long, and AFR was consistently in the 11.0-11.5 range). It just let go at 5700rpm with just 11 degrees of timing. Adam had been running that same pulley on his car on the street for a while, and no problems. Best we can figure, one of the rods may have been stressed already, and it finally gave up. It decided to exit the block in a couple places.

So, I am in the process of deciding how I want to proceed. But, I've got to be honest... the idea of an iron-block, 302 stroker (with forged guts, of course) is intriguing right now. Thus, the "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" motto. Adam and I will be discussing all the options later today before I make a final decision.
Old 2/24/06, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the club [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

-Bryan
Old 2/24/06, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ahhhh no way...man that right there is the reason I want to build up first. I cant afford to have that happen right now. Well now I will look forward to your rebuild I say change it up since you have to start over [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 10:08 AM
I Have Admin Envy

yikes [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] One thing leads to another I guess...

How about using the Terminator bottom end as a starting point?
Old 2/24/06, 10:18 AM
Cobra R Member

darn, dude...

so sorry to hear that. Man, now I'm thinking twice about supercharging. At least, if I do, I'll stick to the conservative side until I can build up the bottom end. Let me know if you choose a stroker motor. I may decide to go the same route.
Old 2/24/06, 10:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Why not a Teksid block? I'd hate to make the front end heavier, since it will cause further understeer, but that's just me.
Old 2/24/06, 10:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow Don,
I am nothing less than shocked to hear this happened to you. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] You may remember that I blew up my 96 cobra running a KB with just 9 lbs of boost. But I had no intercooler. I was running around the same HP as you (450 rw) when mine blew. I thought for sure your intercooler version would make all of the difference. I guess I am still going to stand on my opinion that the powered metal rods and hyperpuetic pistons simply can't handle this kind of power for long. I really feel for you. I have followed your exploits for many months and was tickled for you when you got the KB and all that extra power. I could tell you were lovin it. And all I can say is you have the right attitude about it. Go make it Bigger, Stronger and Faster. Please keep us to date with your new voyage. Again, I am truely sorry about your bad luck
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sucky, man. How many psi have you been running? It definitely makes me think, because I can't afford a new engine if mine goes...
Old 2/24/06, 10:40 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2005RedGT @ February 24, 2006, 9:03 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Welcome to the club [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

-Bryan
[/b][/quote]
Gee, thanks. hehe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ February 24, 2006, 9:07 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I say change it up since you have to start over [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
I agree... no reason not to.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galaxie @ February 24, 2006, 9:11 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
How about using the Terminator bottom end as a starting point?
[/b][/quote]
That is certainly one of the options.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rebel73 @ February 24, 2006, 9:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Let me know if you choose a stroker motor. I may decide to go the same route.
[/b][/quote]
I'll keep everyone updated.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 24, 2006, 9:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Why not a Teksid block? I'd hate to make the front end heavier, since it will cause further understeer, but that's just me.
[/b][/quote]
I'd love to use a Teksid... got one at a reasonable price for me? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] And yes, the front end weight is a consideration, but since I'm more into drag racing than cornering, it's not so much understeer as just adding extra front end weight that bothers me a little.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ February 24, 2006, 9:25 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Wow Don,
I am nothing less than shocked to hear this happened to you. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] You may remember that I blew up my 96 cobra running a KB with just 9 lbs of boost. But I had no intercooler. I was running around the same HP as you (450 rw) when mine blew. I thought for sure your intercooler version would make all of the difference. I guess I am still going to stand on my opinion that the powered metal rods and hyperpuetic pistons simply can't handle this kind of power for long. I really feel for you. I have followed your exploits for many months and was tickled for you when you got the KB and all that extra power. I could tell you were lovin it. And all I can say is you have the right attitude about it. Go make it Bigger, Stronger and Faster. Please keep us to date with your new voyage. Again, I am truely sorry about your bad luck
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I wish I could say that sick amounts of HP caused this. But it didn't. The most it ever pulled was the original 415rwhp on the 8# pulley. We never even got back to that point yesterday. And it only takes one wimpy rod to ruin your day. And it's not like my car wasn't driven hard already (over 300 runs at the track), so I'm not discounting that fact either.
Old 2/24/06, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear it Don. I was REALLY considering going with the KB on my stock block. Since I just got the car a month ago, I think I will start saving money for a new block first, then go with the blower.
Old 2/24/06, 11:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 24, 2006, 11:43 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I'd love to use a Teksid... got one at a reasonable price for me? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] And yes, the front end weight is a consideration, but since I'm more into drag racing than cornering, it's not so much understeer as just adding extra front end weight that bothers me a little.
[/b][/quote]

I found one for 300 bucks in the Chicagoland area a while back. IIRC all Mark VIII's had the Teksid. Goto www.car-part.com and do a search. You can buy a complete 4V motor and just use the block. Sell the relevant parts on E-bay and recover some of the cost.
Old 2/24/06, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

jeez.... it's like these stock engines have osteoperosis or something.

good luck with the rebuild, it will definitly take some time.what are you going to drive in the meantime?
Old 2/24/06, 11:16 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 24, 2006, 11:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yes... my motor decided to commit suicide on the dyno yesterday.
[/b][/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

that sucks
Old 2/24/06, 11:27 AM
Cobra Member

This is heart breaking, I was just watching your clips last night. While you and your wife were cruising and laughing at the power that thig made. This is another reason I am on the fence about supercharging, I know I will over do it. I have a feeling I should just stick with bolt ons and then again that might not be safe either at some point.

Good luck. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 11:31 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 24, 2006, 10:04 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I found one for 300 bucks in the Chicagoland area a while back. IIRC all Mark VIII's had the Teksid. Goto www.car-part.com and do a search. You can buy a complete 4V motor and just use the block. Sell the relevant parts on E-bay and recover some of the cost.
[/b][/quote]Thanks, I'll check it out! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomic_il @ February 24, 2006, 10:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
what are you going to drive in the meantime?
[/b][/quote]Do you want me to post pics of the rental Toyota? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torrence @ February 24, 2006, 10:30 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
This is heart breaking, I was just watching your clips last night. While you and your wife were cruising and laughing at the power that thig made. [/b][/quote]And that was before the blower.
Old 2/24/06, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

Don,
I have extended warranty on my car with Geico covering everthing along with the Ford original coverage. Did you have any type of coverage at all that could help you out and I know you had the blower on there, but thought I'd ask.
Old 2/24/06, 11:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

ARRRRG! sorry to hear that man....you just got the power and sound dialed in...always something.

This makes me leary of going blown...hearing all these bad stories. I definitly will be beefing up everything before the Whipple goes on.

Hope you get a new engine in there soon man.
Old 2/24/06, 12:15 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torrence @ February 24, 2006, 10:40 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don,
I have extended warranty on my car with Geico covering everthing along with the Ford original coverage. Did you have any type of coverage at all that could help you out and I know you had the blower on there, but thought I'd ask.
[/b][/quote]
I'm sure Ford might object to covering this under warranty. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] But, even if they did cover it... do I really want the same pistons and rods back in the car? I think it's the right time to beef up the bottom end.
Old 2/24/06, 12:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah nows the time to rebuild bigger and better...to bad cams arent really out now too...you could do the whole 9 yards [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 12:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've been following your car since you started posting here Don.....really sorry to hear this bad news. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] I wish you a speedy and successful rebuild! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Bigger, Stronger, Faster