GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/06, 06:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nonsensez9 @ February 26, 2006, 4:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The 5.4 has the same bore as a 4.6, only longer stroke with no apparent difficulties. then again it has longer cylinders, too. Anyways, they both can use the same heads, intake, etc, I'd think the KB could bolt right on, no?
might need to borrow a tall hood from a new cobra [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

How can the 4.6 manifold fit on a 5.4? The deck height is taller on the 5.4 due to the longer cylinders. This would make the block wider given the same 90 degree angle of the V. Have you actually put a 4.6 manifold on a 5.4 block? The geometry doesn't add up. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] 2 reputable engine builders have told me this isn't possible. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

Don, Excellent pictures and diagnosis. I have never heard of this happening. I wonder if Dynatech will step up and do the right thing here....Makes a good case for going catless if going F.I. although I ran my blown 88 for 7 years with Bassani high flow cats. Weird.
Old 2/27/06, 11:25 AM
V6 Member

Don, as a lawyer, let me compliment you on the way you documented the cause of your blown engine. Causation is clear. The question now is: Is Dynatech responsible to reimburse you for your blown engine because their defective part caused it. In law, this is known as consequential damages. Give me a few days and let me do some research on this issue and I'll see if you have a case. I normally practice criminal law but I have enough research skill to hopefully give you a definitive answer. Don't count on Dynatech's warranty covering it and it may in fact specifically exclude it. That's just an educated guess though. If I were them, I'd make you happy just to prevent the mountain of bad publicity they're getting on this forum. I'll be posting soon. I may be able to recommend counsel in your area. If not, I'll try to help you in any way I can.

Sincerely, A Brother Mustang Owner.
Old 2/27/06, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackonBlack @ February 26, 2006, 5:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
How can the 4.6 manifold fit on a 5.4? The deck height is taller on the 5.4 due to the longer cylinders. This would make the block wider given the same 90 degree angle of the V.
[/b][/quote]
good point
Old 2/27/06, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lawman @ February 27, 2006, 10:28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don, as a lawyer, let me compliment you on the way you documented the cause of your blown engine. Causation is clear. The question now is: Is Dynatech responsible to reimburse you for your blown engine because their defective part caused it. In law, this is known as consequential damages. Give me a few days and let me do some research on this issue and I'll see if you have a case. I normally practice criminal law but I have enough research skill to hopefully give you a definitive answer. Don't count on Dynatech's warranty covering it and it may in fact specifically exclude it. That's just an educated guess though. If I were them, I'd make you happy just to prevent the mountain of bad publicity they're getting on this forum. I'll be posting soon. I may be able to recommend counsel in your area. If not, I'll try to help you in any way I can.

Sincerely, A Brother Mustang Owner.
[/b][/quote]
Thanks! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Don... imagine if the cat internals DID make it through the exhaust! I would hate to be standing behind it when that would have happened!

I wonder if this has happened before... EVER. It probably has, but i don't know.

Anyways, good luck dealing with dynatech.
Old 2/27/06, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackonBlack @ February 26, 2006, 8:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
How can the 4.6 manifold fit on a 5.4? The deck height is taller on the 5.4 due to the longer cylinders. This would make the block wider given the same 90 degree angle of the V. Have you actually put a 4.6 manifold on a 5.4 block? The geometry doesn't add up. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] 2 reputable engine builders have told me this isn't possible. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

Don, Excellent pictures and diagnosis. I have never heard of this happening. I wonder if Dynatech will step up and do the right thing here....Makes a good case for going catless if going F.I. although I ran my blown 88 for 7 years with Bassani high flow cats. Weird.
[/b][/quote]

Adaptor plates can be fashioned and have been to compensate for the difference in the two's deck heights. They would look similar to the charge motion plates without the butterflies.
Old 2/27/06, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lawman @ February 27, 2006, 10:28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don, as a lawyer, let me compliment you on the way you documented the cause of your blown engine. Causation is clear.
[/b][/quote]

so long as they don't turn around and say the unexpected pressure of an engine cratering caused the cat to fail. If there are additional documented cat failures it will be simpler.
Old 2/27/06, 03:46 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redbullet @ February 27, 2006, 12:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Adaptor plates can be fashioned and have been to compensate for the difference in the two's deck heights. They would look similar to the charge motion plates without the butterflies.
[/b][/quote]

I'm sure that's possible, but my point was the 4.6 manifold is different and won't just bolt up.
Old 2/27/06, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nonsensez9 @ February 27, 2006, 4:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
so long as they don't turn around and say the unexpected pressure of an engine cratering caused the cat to fail. If there are additional documented cat failures it will be simpler.
[/b][/quote]

First and foremost it's a racing part and before the legal eagles continue the first disclaimer is that these products are for racing purposes only and not legal for sale or use in CA or any state that has adapted CA emission standards. Second, federal penalty for tampering with federal emission equipment. Federal laws covering emission equipment states cats must be in the same location IE not moved as in this application.
Old 2/27/06, 04:53 PM

Thats why I am building my Engine stronger and better before I push it further.YOU CANT RUN GOOD BOOST PRESSURE WITH POWDERED RODS PERIOD.
Old 2/27/06, 05:02 PM

Well, it looks like I have a Teksid block coming my way now. I found one earlier today for $400 shipped. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats Don! Good luck with the build. Do you have a time frame for getting a finished product yet?
Old 2/27/06, 05:28 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stang9325 @ February 27, 2006, 4:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Congrats Don! Good luck with the build. Do you have a time frame for getting a finished product yet?
[/b][/quote]
I have a previously planned (and paid for) trip to Las Vegas for the NHRA event from April 6-9. My goal is to drive the Mustang there. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] So I have about 5 weeks to "git er dun".
Old 2/27/06, 09:35 PM
Cobra Member

I will look forward to seeing you and your Pony... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 24, 2006, 11:40 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Absolutely a daily driver... 17,000+ miles in just under 10 months.
[/b][/quote]
I got you beat don. lol. 38,000 miles in 10 mo. now 46,000 miles in 13 mo.
Old 2/27/06, 10:08 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(300HPGT @ February 27, 2006, 9:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I got you beat don. lol. 38,000 miles in 10 mo. now 46,000 miles in 13 mo.
[/b][/quote]
Yea, but I'll have two engines in 11 months too. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redbullet @ February 27, 2006, 2:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
First and foremost it's a racing part and before the legal eagles continue the first disclaimer is that these products are for racing purposes only and not legal for sale or use in CA or any state that has adapted CA emission standards. Second, federal penalty for tampering with federal emission equipment. Federal laws covering emission equipment states cats must be in the same location IE not moved as in this application.
[/b][/quote]
Regardless if the parts were illegal in CA or not they were faulty parts that caused his engine to blow. Unless dynatech can prove that Don somehow managed to tamper with the cat's to the point they were damaged enough to cause a problem they're not liable.
Old 2/27/06, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

it does appear now that i have read the whole thread that the catalytic converter would be the cause of premature failure of your rods. That sucker was just about clogged. but hey 412hp w/ clogged cat is pretty darn good. lol. Its good that you can get a new block at a decient price. Did it do any damage to the crank??? or are you getting a complete stroker kit??? I might get new Rods and pistons before I supercharge if and when I get the money to. But I hope that you get it finished soon and so you can get to Vegas.
Old 2/27/06, 10:51 PM

I'm planning on a Teksid alum block, with a cobra crank, forged rods and pistons. No stroker... staying at 4.6 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/28/06, 01:05 AM
Cobra Member

Would CHP or one of the other "name" engine builders be the way to go for a forced induction ready short block. Seems like it might be simpler and still result in more hp than is reasonable.

Quick Reply: Bigger, Stronger, Faster