General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/08, 05:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USMC0341
they are made out of 409 stainless, so they will stain/rust a little bit. If your going for the look you could have the stock units powdercoated. A guy had a set powder coated and ported. look good especially if you want to save some cash

I found this thread on some JBA chat. My Ceramic headers still look great but them I don't drive all that much compared some.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...81#post5551181

Jed

Old 4/26/08, 06:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JedCranium
I found this thread on some JBA chat. My Ceramic headers still look great but them I don't drive all that much compared some.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...81#post5551181

Jed
Nice find Jed,

The thing that stands out in that thread is this quote.....

I confirmed with JBA the flanges are actually carbon steel and only the tubes are stainless steel. Now some grades of stainless steel are susceptible to rust as well, and these are of that grade.
The pics on that thread are very interesting also...
Old 4/26/08, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Congrats JonCo!
Old 4/26/08, 06:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

+1

Originally Posted by TacoBill
440/380

Great numbers Jon!

We have to wait til Monday for pics??
Thats what my tune is giving me at present; congrats that will get your head slam'in!
My new goal will be to take it as far as I can on 91 octane pump gas. I think 600 to the rear wheels is still conservative later with forged internals and port & polished heads. If I get that number and maybe a little more , I'll be happy HP is like a drug that increase will makes up for my deficiency

Jed
Old 4/26/08, 06:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
they are made out of 409 stainless, so they will stain/rust a little bit. If your going for the look you could have the stock units powdercoated.
Thanks for the idea George, I have around 2-3 weeks to make up my mind on them.
Old 4/26/08, 06:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the idea George, I have around 2-3 weeks to make up my mind on them.

Or, go with a set of headers that are ceramic coated. I did the FRPP ceramic shorties.
Old 4/26/08, 06:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks guys. No Bill, to make you happy I may shoot for tomorrow. I jsut have alot to study for Monday's finals, sucks. Its so hard to focus right now! haha

My goal for either later this year is to be at 450/400+. So I may need to do some other work. DS, delete plates. Also might get into that GT500 pump in the summer. Thinking about it.

Now, I have some newb questions. What should I be looking for in my wideband guage. When i down shift or let off the accel is it normal for it to read 16.0 and work its way down and hit 14 ish? What do I need to look at to make sure car's running safe. He talked to me about it but I forgot most. To excited haha
Old 4/26/08, 06:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Or, go with a set of headers that are ceramic coated. I did the FRPP ceramic shorties.
the problem is that here in CA the only choices we have are stock or the JBA. the frpp are not carb legal by themselves only in the power pac, so were are kinda limited
Old 4/26/08, 06:27 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
congrats tom and jon!

Bill, I like the idea of powder coating the stock, but the shorties would give you a little more power
Old 4/26/08, 06:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

the problem is that here in CA the only choices we have are stock or the JBA. the frpp are not carb legal by themselves only in the power pac, so were are kinda limited
Come on don't be tight you should do a group buy with Bill I'll be in Arizona in three weeks maybe I can pick them up for you? Pressure Pressure!

Jed
Old 4/26/08, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Come on don't be tight you should do a group buy with Bill I'll be in Arizona in three weeks maybe I can pick them up for you? Pressure Pressure!

Jed
Old 4/26/08, 06:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Dang.. afer seeing those pics I have to consider the ceramic coating for another $190!

Originally Posted by tom281
Would love to get the FRPP shorties, but no CARB stamp!

Originally Posted by JonCo
Now, I have some newb questions. What should I be looking for in my wideband guage. When i down shift or let off the accel is it normal for it to read 16.0 and work its way down and hit 14 ish?
Being a passenger in Jed's car, I saw his wideband A/F average 14.7ish during cruise, higher than that during decel, and way below that during FI time.
Old 4/26/08, 06:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Now, I have some newb questions. What should I be looking for in my wideband guage. When i down shift or let off the accel is it normal for it to read 16.0 and work its way down and hit 14 ish? What do I need to look at to make sure car's running safe. He talked to me about it but I forgot most. To excited haha
You know I have my gauges on the left pillar but I tell you when I'm run'in with the bulls that's the last thing I'm looking at You really have to force yourself to take a glimpse. If I feel a performance drop I use the gauges to tell me what to do from that point, otherwise honestly I don't look at it all that much. I look for the CHP & cops more . When GTR performance took me for a test ride they told me to monitor things like low fuel pressure or a lean condition under boost. After a while your "butt-o-meter" will let you know if things are kosher.

Jed

Last edited by JedCranium; 4/26/08 at 07:00 PM.
Old 4/26/08, 07:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Being a passenger in Jed's car, I saw his wideband A/F average 14.7ish during cruise, higher than that during decel, and way below that during FI time.
Thanks, thats what I've been reading.

You know I have my gauges on the left pillar but I tell you when I'm run'in with the bulls that's the last thing I'm looking at You really have to force yourself to take a glimpse. If I feel a performance drop I use the gauges to tell me what to do from that point, otherwise honestly I don't look at it all that much. I look for the CHP & cops more . When GTR performance took me for a test ride they told me to monitor things like low fuel pressure or a lean condition under boost. After a while your "butt-o-meter" will let you know if things are kosher.

Jed
Yeah. I'm just amused by the flashing lights I guess. Haha . My butt-o-meter is scared to go full throttle still. I dont wanna break her in too fast. Or break anything for that matter. I'm pretty maxed right now.
Old 4/26/08, 07:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks, thats what I've been reading.

Yeah. I'm just amused by the flashing lights I guess. Haha . My butt-o-meter is scared to go full throttle still. I dont wanna break her in too fast. Or break anything for that matter. I'm pretty maxed right now.
Your doing the wise thing, take it easy get use to the power under diffrent diving conditions and roads. Don't discover it all one afternoon with hyper friends unless, they pitch in for repairs. To this day I haven't done full WOT getting on the freeway I've come close but all this traffic around here the car is begging for the open road or track. As Brian/Habu mention 100 MPH comes in real fast. At cruise on the freeway drop it in 4th and the pull is amazing. AHHHH! I love it! It's like a time machine just seeing cars shrink in the rear view!

Okay I'm going to leave work now all the talk about speed has got me jacked up to go ride in the ROUSH! It's a beautiful Cali afternoon! Have fun JonCo and be safe Can't wait to see some vids.

TacoBill it's Mill'a time!

Jed

Last edited by JedCranium; 4/26/08 at 07:48 PM.
Old 4/26/08, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

To this day I haven't done full WOT getting on the freeway I've come close

Jed
I have when I drove the roush
Old 4/26/08, 08:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Would love to get the FRPP shorties, but no CARB stamp!

Oops, always forget the restrictions you left-coasters have.
Old 4/26/08, 08:07 PM
GTR Member

Great numbers, Jon!
Old 4/26/08, 08:09 PM
GTR Member

Jed
I'm always looking for cops more, too! The butt-o-meter, and what you hear, will tell you a lot.
Old 4/26/08, 08:13 PM
GTR Member

I'm ordering the Mach 1 rims on Monday... for $20 more, I can get 8x10's for the rear. Then it would be:

255/45-18 on the front
285/40-18 on the rear

The good - they are the exact same height and sidewall and would look great from the rear. Over an inch wider...

The bad - 285/40-18 BFG's are close to $300 a piece! So, 2 new tires would cost me as much as the new rims. Plus, I can't rotate front to rear, anymore.

I think I'll stay with the 255/45-18's all the way around.

Last edited by 89Trooper; 4/26/08 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)