Notices
General Mustang Chat Not Tech or Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Old 4/26/08, 05:58 PM
  #19061  
 
Join Date: September 23, 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 10,036
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
440/380

Great numbers Jon!

We have to wait til Monday for pics??
TacoBill is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 05:58 PM
  #19062  
Shelby GT500 Member
 
JedCranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: November 22, 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,932
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USMC0341 View Post
they are made out of 409 stainless, so they will stain/rust a little bit. If your going for the look you could have the stock units powdercoated. A guy had a set powder coated and ported. look good especially if you want to save some cash

I found this thread on some JBA chat. My Ceramic headers still look great but them I don't drive all that much compared some.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...81#post5551181

Jed




JedCranium is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:07 PM
  #19063  
Team Mustang Source
 
USMC0341's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 29, 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,527
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JedCranium View Post
I found this thread on some JBA chat. My Ceramic headers still look great but them I don't drive all that much compared some.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...81#post5551181

Jed
Nice find Jed,

The thing that stands out in that thread is this quote.....

I confirmed with JBA the flanges are actually carbon steel and only the tubes are stainless steel. Now some grades of stainless steel are susceptible to rust as well, and these are of that grade.
The pics on that thread are very interesting also...
USMC0341 is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:11 PM
  #19064  
I kissed a pickle
And I liked it
TMS Staff
 
tom281's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 8, 2005
Location: Medina county, OH
Posts: 12,334
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Congrats JonCo!
tom281 is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:12 PM
  #19065  
Shelby GT500 Member
 
JedCranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: November 22, 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,932
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1

Originally Posted by TacoBill View Post
440/380

Great numbers Jon!

We have to wait til Monday for pics??
Thats what my tune is giving me at present; congrats that will get your head slam'in!
My new goal will be to take it as far as I can on 91 octane pump gas. I think 600 to the rear wheels is still conservative later with forged internals and port & polished heads. If I get that number and maybe a little more , I'll be happy HP is like a drug that increase will makes up for my deficiency

Jed
JedCranium is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:12 PM
  #19066  
 
Join Date: September 23, 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 10,036
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USMC0341 View Post
they are made out of 409 stainless, so they will stain/rust a little bit. If your going for the look you could have the stock units powdercoated.
Thanks for the idea George, I have around 2-3 weeks to make up my mind on them.
TacoBill is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:18 PM
  #19067  
I kissed a pickle
And I liked it
TMS Staff
 
tom281's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 8, 2005
Location: Medina county, OH
Posts: 12,334
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill View Post
Thanks for the idea George, I have around 2-3 weeks to make up my mind on them.

Or, go with a set of headers that are ceramic coated. I did the FRPP ceramic shorties.
tom281 is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:19 PM
  #19068  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
JonCo's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 9, 2007
Location: Ellenton, FL
Posts: 2,463
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. No Bill, to make you happy I may shoot for tomorrow. I jsut have alot to study for Monday's finals, sucks. Its so hard to focus right now! haha

My goal for either later this year is to be at 450/400+. So I may need to do some other work. DS, delete plates. Also might get into that GT500 pump in the summer. Thinking about it.

Now, I have some newb questions. What should I be looking for in my wideband guage. When i down shift or let off the accel is it normal for it to read 16.0 and work its way down and hit 14 ish? What do I need to look at to make sure car's running safe. He talked to me about it but I forgot most. To excited haha
JonCo is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:24 PM
  #19069  
Team Mustang Source
 
USMC0341's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 29, 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,527
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281 View Post
Or, go with a set of headers that are ceramic coated. I did the FRPP ceramic shorties.
the problem is that here in CA the only choices we have are stock or the JBA. the frpp are not carb legal by themselves only in the power pac, so were are kinda limited
USMC0341 is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:27 PM
  #19070  
NTTAWWT
 
StangMahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 27, 2007
Location: That town you drive through to get to Myrtle Beach
Posts: 11,735
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
congrats tom and jon!

Bill, I like the idea of powder coating the stock, but the shorties would give you a little more power
StangMahn is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:32 PM
  #19071  
Shelby GT500 Member
 
JedCranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: November 22, 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,932
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USMC0341 View Post
the problem is that here in CA the only choices we have are stock or the JBA. the frpp are not carb legal by themselves only in the power pac, so were are kinda limited
Come on don't be tight you should do a group buy with Bill I'll be in Arizona in three weeks maybe I can pick them up for you? Pressure Pressure!

Jed
JedCranium is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:35 PM
  #19072  
Team Mustang Source
 
USMC0341's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 29, 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,527
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JedCranium View Post
Come on don't be tight you should do a group buy with Bill I'll be in Arizona in three weeks maybe I can pick them up for you? Pressure Pressure!

Jed
USMC0341 is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:36 PM
  #19073  
 
Join Date: September 23, 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 10,036
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JedCranium View Post
I found this thread on some JBA chat. My Ceramic headers still look great but them I don't drive all that much compared some.
Dang.. afer seeing those pics I have to consider the ceramic coating for another $190!



Originally Posted by tom281 View Post
Or, go with a set of headers that are ceramic coated. I did the FRPP ceramic shorties.
Would love to get the FRPP shorties, but no CARB stamp!



Originally Posted by JonCo View Post
Now, I have some newb questions. What should I be looking for in my wideband guage. When i down shift or let off the accel is it normal for it to read 16.0 and work its way down and hit 14 ish?
Being a passenger in Jed's car, I saw his wideband A/F average 14.7ish during cruise, higher than that during decel, and way below that during FI time.
TacoBill is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 06:52 PM
  #19074  
Shelby GT500 Member
 
JedCranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: November 22, 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,932
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonCo View Post
Now, I have some newb questions. What should I be looking for in my wideband guage. When i down shift or let off the accel is it normal for it to read 16.0 and work its way down and hit 14 ish? What do I need to look at to make sure car's running safe. He talked to me about it but I forgot most. To excited haha
You know I have my gauges on the left pillar but I tell you when I'm run'in with the bulls that's the last thing I'm looking at You really have to force yourself to take a glimpse. If I feel a performance drop I use the gauges to tell me what to do from that point, otherwise honestly I don't look at it all that much. I look for the CHP & cops more . When GTR performance took me for a test ride they told me to monitor things like low fuel pressure or a lean condition under boost. After a while your "butt-o-meter" will let you know if things are kosher.

Jed

Last edited by JedCranium; 4/26/08 at 07:00 PM.
JedCranium is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 07:05 PM
  #19075  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
JonCo's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 9, 2007
Location: Ellenton, FL
Posts: 2,463
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill View Post
Being a passenger in Jed's car, I saw his wideband A/F average 14.7ish during cruise, higher than that during decel, and way below that during FI time.
Thanks, thats what I've been reading.


Originally Posted by JedCranium View Post
You know I have my gauges on the left pillar but I tell you when I'm run'in with the bulls that's the last thing I'm looking at You really have to force yourself to take a glimpse. If I feel a performance drop I use the gauges to tell me what to do from that point, otherwise honestly I don't look at it all that much. I look for the CHP & cops more . When GTR performance took me for a test ride they told me to monitor things like low fuel pressure or a lean condition under boost. After a while your "butt-o-meter" will let you know if things are kosher.

Jed
Yeah. I'm just amused by the flashing lights I guess. Haha . My butt-o-meter is scared to go full throttle still. I dont wanna break her in too fast. Or break anything for that matter. I'm pretty maxed right now.
JonCo is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 07:44 PM
  #19076  
Shelby GT500 Member
 
JedCranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: November 22, 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,932
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonCo View Post
Thanks, thats what I've been reading.




Yeah. I'm just amused by the flashing lights I guess. Haha . My butt-o-meter is scared to go full throttle still. I dont wanna break her in too fast. Or break anything for that matter. I'm pretty maxed right now.
Your doing the wise thing, take it easy get use to the power under diffrent diving conditions and roads. Don't discover it all one afternoon with hyper friends unless, they pitch in for repairs. To this day I haven't done full WOT getting on the freeway I've come close but all this traffic around here the car is begging for the open road or track. As Brian/Habu mention 100 MPH comes in real fast. At cruise on the freeway drop it in 4th and the pull is amazing. AHHHH! I love it! It's like a time machine just seeing cars shrink in the rear view!

Okay I'm going to leave work now all the talk about speed has got me jacked up to go ride in the ROUSH! It's a beautiful Cali afternoon! Have fun JonCo and be safe Can't wait to see some vids.

TacoBill it's Mill'a time!

Jed

Last edited by JedCranium; 4/26/08 at 07:48 PM.
JedCranium is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 07:53 PM
  #19077  
Team Mustang Source
 
USMC0341's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 29, 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,527
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JedCranium View Post
To this day I haven't done full WOT getting on the freeway I've come close

Jed
I have when I drove the roush
USMC0341 is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 08:02 PM
  #19078  
I kissed a pickle
And I liked it
TMS Staff
 
tom281's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 8, 2005
Location: Medina county, OH
Posts: 12,334
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by USMC0341 View Post
the problem is that here in CA the only choices we have are stock or the JBA. the frpp are not carb legal by themselves only in the power pac, so were are kinda limited
Originally Posted by TacoBill View Post
Would love to get the FRPP shorties, but no CARB stamp!

Oops, always forget the restrictions you left-coasters have.
tom281 is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 08:07 PM
  #19079  
GTR Member
 
89Trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 26, 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,639
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great numbers, Jon!
89Trooper is offline  
Old 4/26/08, 08:09 PM
  #19080  
GTR Member
 
89Trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 26, 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,639
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JedCranium View Post
You know I have my gauges on the left pillar but I tell you when I'm run'in with the bulls that's the last thing I'm looking at You really have to force yourself to take a glimpse. If I feel a performance drop I use the gauges to tell me what to do from that point, otherwise honestly I don't look at it all that much. I look for the CHP & cops more . When GTR performance took me for a test ride they told me to monitor things like low fuel pressure or a lean condition under boost. After a while your "butt-o-meter" will let you know if things are kosher.

Jed
I'm always looking for cops more, too! The butt-o-meter, and what you hear, will tell you a lot.
89Trooper is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.