General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/06, 08:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL, should I be flattered at this or offended??
This CAR look familiar ?
Old 6/18/06, 09:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
LOL, should I be flattered at this or offended??
This CAR look familiar ?
Hahaha! I meant no offense, only showing that we have the same vinyl installation skill level... hopeless amateur!

I do want to thank you for jumping into this first though, you saved me from some questionable moments.

Congrats for being the poster car for BSM!
Old 6/18/06, 09:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Hahaha! I meant no offense, only showing that we have the same vinyl installation skill level... hopeless amateur!

I do want to thank you for jumping into this first though, you saved me from some questionable moments.

Congrats for being the poster car for BSM!
I meant flattered or offended about BSM using my car on ebay
Old 6/18/06, 09:56 PM

Isees.. guess you can be flattered.

My Shaker research has begun...

Can you or Tom post a pic (if you took it) of the underside of the hood of exactly where the hole gets cut? I would like to see where it is in relation to the other odd forming doublers.

Attached is my virgin hood for reference, you can mark the area if you don't have a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_1002.jpg  
Old 6/18/06, 10:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

No pictures, but pretty close to the black line.
Attachment 2596
I'll take a picture of the piece I cut-out and post tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_1002.jpg  
Old 6/18/06, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I need opinions on a black spoiler. The 2003 & 2004 Mach 1's had a shaker, black graphics on the hood, a black chin spoiler, a black stripe down the side, and a black spoiler, regardless of the color of the car.

Well, now I have a shaker.
I'm still thinking about getting the CDC chin spoiler and keeping it black.
I'll think about getting that black graphic on the hood if Daryl Photochops it for me and it looks good.
I want a black stripe on the side like the GT/CS.

So... what about a black spoiler? I would get one on eBay and not paint mine. That will be cheaper and I could go back to white if I wanted to later.
I think you're on the right path. CDC chin in black and decklid spoiler in black too.

I'm not quite sold on the side stripe location yet. I do like the way the stripe fades from dark to light, but wondering if it'll look better at the bottom (like Daryl's).

I would possibly entertain one if I can get one that fades in plain; no text.
Old 6/18/06, 11:04 PM
GTR Member

Can you or Tom post a pic (if you took it) of the underside of the hood of exactly where the hole gets cut? I would like to see where it is in relation to the other odd forming doublers.
I'll post a pic tomorrow so you can see how it compares to Daryl's black line.

I'm not quite sold on the side stripe location yet. I do like the way the stripe fades from dark to light, but wondering if it'll look better at the bottom (like Daryl's).
I really like the way the stripe looks on the GT/CS.

And... I guess I'll try to get that black spoiler when the auction ends tomorrow, uh, today...
Old 6/18/06, 11:16 PM
GTR Member

Definitely flattered!
Old 6/19/06, 08:43 AM
GTR Member

Here's a pic of the underside of the hood:

Attachment 2606
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3496.jpg  
Old 6/19/06, 08:51 AM

Here's a pic of the underside of the hood:

Attachment 2606
Thanks Tom

Here they are, side by side.

btw- Did the outer trim ring have enough play (side to side, forward and aft) to center the scoop?
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_1000.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-shaker-hood-cutout.jpg  
Old 6/19/06, 10:18 AM
GTR Member

btw- Did the outer trim ring have enough play (side to side, forward and aft) to center the scoop?
I'm sure there will be enough play (more forward and aft than side to side), but I haven't installed anything yet. I'm still waiting for the replacement scoop. Patrick at CDC had a family emergency the day that he was going to get my replacement out. He emailed apologizing, but a few more days is no big deal.
Old 6/19/06, 10:46 AM

I'm sure there will be enough play (more forward and aft than side to side), but I haven't installed anything yet. I'm still waiting for the replacement scoop. Patrick at CDC had a family emergency the day that he was going to get my replacement out. He emailed apologizing, but a few more days is no big deal.
Hopefully you'll get the replacement scoop soon.

I looked over CDC's instructions on how the shaker gets installed, but I have a few questions.

Is the aluminum scoop seperate from the plastic shroud?

It's difficult to see from all the pics exactly how the ram air from the scoop is directed to the 'cold air' tube. Is the rear shroud molded into the back of the scoop?

I'm not saying that I will (mostly curiousity), but can the scoop be mounted with the cold air duct without the shroud?

So what exactly is securing this assembly to the engine? The 2 brackets at the throttle body and 1 'ball' mount? How does this ball mount work? Just clicks on? Once on, how difficult is it to take off?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 6/19/06, 11:05 AM
GTR Member

Hopefully you'll get the replacement scoop soon.
Yes, I hope...

I looked over CDC's instructions on how the shaker gets installed, but I have a few questions.

Is the aluminum scoop seperate from the plastic shroud?
No, six bolts hold it into place. It comes installed, so I will have to remove the six bolts to replace the scoop.

It's difficult to see from all the pics exactly how the ram air from the scoop is directed to the 'cold air' tube. Is the rear shroud molded into the back of the scoop?
The air goes into the scoop, then transfers to the shroud. The transfer point is under the rear of the scoop:

I'm not saying that I will (mostly curiousity), but can the scoop be mounted with the cold air duct without the shroud?
I doubt it. Well, you could cut away all of the shroud that you don't want.

So what exactly is securing this assembly to the engine? The 2 brackets at the throttle body and 1 'ball' mount? How does this ball mount work? Just clicks on? Once on, how difficult is it to take off?
Yes, 2 bolts into the throttle body and the ball "snaps" into the socket. The most difficult part will be the 2 bolts into the TB. Everybody compains about them.
Old 6/19/06, 11:13 AM

Thank, Tom.

Looking at that pic above, where to those 4 drain hoses go? Just sort of hangs down wherever or is there a specific routing for them?

Okay, I now understand that the ball snaps into the socket. Wonder if it'll pop out easily if the shroud has to be removed, or will it be a pain in the butt?

Any pics of how the cold air duct attaches to the shroud?

btw- Why is the underside of your shroud so sandy and dirty? Leave it outside during the last rain storm?
Old 6/19/06, 11:18 AM
GTR Member

Looking at that pic above, where to those 4 drain hoses go? Just sort of hangs down wherever or is there a specific routing for them?
You are supposed to hang them down so they don't touch anything hot...

Okay, I now understand that the ball snaps into the socket. Wonder if it'll pop out easily if the shroud has to be removed, or will it be a pain in the butt?
A little bit of silicone or O-ring lube will make it go in and out easier. Daryl...

Any pics of how the cold air duct attaches to the shroud?
Not at this time... I would take some, but I have to leave for work.

btw- Why is the underside of your shroud so sandy and dirty? Leave it outside during the last rain storm?
Just dust... and the flash on the camera shows EVERYTHING! It wipes right up. Yours will probably look the same. But it doesn't really LOOK that bad... it's just the flash. Even I was surprised when I looked at that pic the first time.
Old 6/19/06, 11:39 AM

A little bit of silicone or O-ring lube will make it go in and out easier. Daryl...

Looks like those 4 drain hoses need a little Z-16!

Couple potential issues I can see is the MAF sensor location in the shroud, interference from the K&N tube support bracket (bolts to the cam cover), and the PCV vent hose. Hopefully none will be affected (crossing my fingers!). Guess the only way to tell is to fit the shroud over the engine and see how it all lines up.

On the cold air ducting, I may just route it right up against the cone filter, still leaving the H-shield off ( I hate that thing, but will employ it if I have to). Got the idea from Tom281 (see pic).
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-shaker-cold-air-duct-cone-filter.jpg  
Old 6/19/06, 03:47 PM
GTR Member

Looks like those 4 drain hoses need a little Z-16!.
I guess they do!
Old 6/19/06, 05:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

OK For Tom, the RUB SPOTS (pic 1 & 2 the same spot, one with flash one without)
Attachment 2646Attachment 2647Attachment 2648

and for Bill a shot from the side showing the intake tube, etc.
Attachment 2649Attachment 2650
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-rub-spot-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-rub-spot-2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-rub-spot-3.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-airbox-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-flow-tube-1.jpg  

Old 6/19/06, 05:21 PM

OK For Tom, the RUB SPOTS...

...and for Bill a shot from the side showing the intake tube, etc.
Rub spots?? Huh? First I've heard of this. Please explain what you're seeing. I wonder if our 06 hood insulation liners are formed differently (ie. Ours have the 7 holes for the future hood scoop) compared to early 06's and 05's.
I noticed a deep rub mark in my liner from the K&N cone filter.

Thanks for the side pic. Can you please take another from the other side, as indicated by the arrow?
Is the shroud (#1) and duct (#2) connected by a clamp or is it one piece?
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-shaker-side-view.jpg  
Old 6/19/06, 05:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

This answer your question Bill?
Attachment 2652Attachment 2654

It better, becasue I got stung by a BIG RED WASP getting those pictures for you.

Bent down to look at the vinyl stripe and put my shoulder right on him, needless to say he let me know he was there.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-flow-tube-2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-flow-tube-3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)