General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/07, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Black-I thought about this to but I figure it would blend into much therefore making it a waste of time,money and effort.
That is what I am thinking.

(I'd reconsider if I could cough up the dough to get some of the flamed ones from Hireman.)
No doubt!

Charcoal-I think it would still be to dark. Have you consider silver or "tungesten"??. I'm almost certain I'm going with silver or as close to tungesten as possible.
I wasn't talking about a dark charcoal... Tungesten might be more inline with what I am thinking... Maybe a hair darker about the color of the Ford engine cover which is what I would get if I went the charcoal route.
On the flip side I don't like the chrome ones... I don't know why but they do nothing for me.
Old 5/7/07, 12:13 PM
GTR Member

Paint them yourself with that Engine Paint I mentioned before. They have several colors and it would be very easy to do (much easier than the removal and reinstallation).

Here's the link:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

You can buy the Engine Enamel (500°) at Auto Zone for $4 a can. So, you should be able to prime, paint, and clear for $12.
Old 5/7/07, 12:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Paint them yourself with that Engine Paint I mentioned before. They have several colors and it would be very easy to do.

Here's the link:

You can buy the Engine Enamel (500°) at Auto Zone for $4 a can. So, you should be able to prime, paint, and clear for $12.
+1 when I do mine it's what I'll do.
Old 5/7/07, 12:26 PM
Cobra Member

Paint them yourself with that Engine Paint I mentioned before. You can buy the Engine Enamel (500°) at Auto Zone for $4 a can. So, you should be able to prime, paint, and clear for $12.
That is what I had done before with my 351CJ years ago. I even painted the exhaust manifolds white and it lasted a long time and looked great!
Old 5/7/07, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Paint them yourself with that Engine Paint I mentioned before. They have several colors and it would be very easy to do (much easier than the removal and reinstallation).

Here's the link:

I was looking at that last night. Problem is the shades of aluminum they have don't look to great. My only concern with doing it this way would be prep. I'm not to confident on my "prep" skills. Granted I did my calipers and window switch plates but those were alot smaller.
Old 5/7/07, 12:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by pville piper
That is what I had done before with my 351CJ years ago. I even painted the exhaust manifolds white and it lasted a long time and looked great!
Yep. I've painted blocks, heads, valve covers, intake manfolds, water pumps... the list goes on. With good paint I never had an issue. On more than just Fords too!!
Old 5/7/07, 12:35 PM
GTR Member

I was looking at that last night. Problem is the shades of aluminum they have don't look to great. My only concern with doing it this way would be prep. I'm not to confident on my "prep" skills. Granted I did my calipers and window switch plates but those were alot smaller.
Just a light sanding is all you will need to do. Then I would clean them off with denatured alcohol to make sure they are nice and clean.

After that, I would put them both out on some newspaper and put 2-3 light coats of primer, then the paint, then the clear. Each additional coat has to be applied within 1 hour... if you wait longer than that with this paint, you'll have to wait 7 days for the next coat... yes, 7 days.

It's a piece of cake... I'm sure you would do just fine. It's not a hood or bumper cover...
Old 5/7/07, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just a light sanding is all you will need to do. Then I would clean them off with denatured alcohol to make sure they are nice and clean.

After that, I would put them both out on some newspaper and put 2-3 light coats of primer, then the paint, then the clear. Each additional coat has to be applied within 1 hour... if you wait longer than that with this paint, you'll have to wait 7 days for the next coat... yes, 7 days.

It's a piece of cake... I'm sure you would do just fine. It's not a hood or bumper cover...
OK OK fine I guess I'll try it myself. Worse case scenario I could always buy new ones or get them powder coated. I'll have to go to the local auto parts store and decide which one of the "aluminum" colors looks best. I probably won't be doing this for atleast another couple weeks. So I've got time to read up and buy all the materials I'll need.
Old 5/7/07, 02:03 PM
GTR Member

I love these covers from Hireman
Oh and Tom,you cut me deep,real Deep
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-ford-racing-cam.jpg  
Old 5/7/07, 03:07 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Oh and Tom,you cut me deep,real Deep
I know... I picked something I knew you liked a lot.
Old 5/7/07, 04:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
The shop's letting him view the whole thing from 10ft back. So far they have his wheels,rear axle, and DS off.
Okay guys, I'm back! 4.10's are in. No whine, no groan, no leaks.

Total time was just under 4 hours. Backlash measured 0.007". Was told that the gear mesh pattern for accel/coast is perfect.

So the big question... how do they feel, right? Well, I was specifically told to take it easy for a 'little while'. Not sure how many miles 'a little while' is, but I'm going to try and force myself to keep from bouncing off the rev-limiter for a 100 miles.
Just from cruising in town, I can tell the rpm's are coming up a tad quicker through 1st gear and also higher when just driving in 3rd and 4th.

Like Leo mentioned, they let me (and Kevin) stay in the shop for the whole install, but had to take most of the pics and vids from about 10' away. Not the best in clarity, but better than nothing.

Here's a teaser pic of my $230 aluminum FRPP axle girdle. Yes, after paying that much, I intend to show it off as much as I can.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-frpp-4.10s.jpg  
Old 5/7/07, 05:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill

Total time was just under 4 hours. Backlash measured 0.007". Was told that the gear mesh pattern for accel/coast is perfect.

So the big question... how do they feel, right? Well, I was specifically told to take it easy for a 'little while'. Not sure how many miles 'a little while' is, but I'm going to try and force myself to keep from bouncing off the rev-limiter for a 100 miles.
Just from cruising in town, I can tell the rpm's are coming up a tad quicker through 1st gear and also higher when just driving in 3rd and 4th.

Like Leo mentioned, they let me (and Kevin) stay in the shop for the whole install, but had to take most of the pics and vids from about 10' away. Not the best in clarity, but better than nothing.

Here's a teaser pic of my $230 aluminum FRPP axle girdle. Yes, after paying that much, I intend to show it off as much as I can.
Looks good. I suggest you jack up the rear end at the next show and put a mirror down there.
Old 5/7/07, 07:17 PM
GTR Member

I know... I picked something I knew you liked a lot.
I still have my other grille..Maybe I should put it back on
Old 5/7/07, 07:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Awww man, come on you got 'on it' just a little, right ?? Not talking Cinco de Mayo style burnouts, but still you got on it. How could you resist the temptation ?

Oh, BTW as usless as I thought the girdle was... it's dead sexy.
Old 5/7/07, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by habu
Awww man, come on you got 'on it' just a little, right ?? Not talking Cinco de Mayo style burnouts, but still you got on it. How could you resist the temptation ?
Hey man, the LAST thing I need is problems to develop for not taking it easy on the new set of gears. The thought of taking the car back to the shop is enough to subdue any temptations that come across my immature mind.

And, here's some trivia for ya, this is the first mod done on the car that I paid someone else to do. Somethings are just outside the scope of the Taco.

Here's some pics of today's event. Highlights below, but full album can be viewed here.

Old 5/7/07, 09:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey man, the LAST thing I need is problems to develop for not taking it easy on the new set of gears. The thought of taking the car back to the shop is enough to subdue any temptations that come across my immature mind.
I hear ya, but I would have still got on it from say 2nd to about 60 just to see.. once. Like I said I'm not talking burnouts or anything. That wouldn't do anything bad to the gears. It's much easier saying that not spending the $$ you did.

And yeah, Gears is most definitely something you want someone to do. Unless you REALLY know your shiite
Old 5/7/07, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Looks really sweet Bill! Maybe you can help me do mine someday

Everybody sign up yet? Limited spaces available:

http://www.bcmc.net/
http://www.bcmcmustang.homestead.com...istration.html
Old 5/8/07, 06:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by habu
Oh, BTW as usless as I thought the girdle was... it's dead sexy.
I don't know Bill... Another man callin yer girdle sexy! :gay:

Congrats on the install Bill!
Old 5/8/07, 07:53 AM

Thanks guys, can't wait to put the 4.10's thru the paces!

(you know I will! )
Old 5/8/07, 08:35 AM
GTR Member

Bill how will the gears affect gas mileage?

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)