General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/07, 08:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boltzman
Bill how will the gears affect gas mileage?
From everything I've read here on the Forum, highway mileage will decrease by about 2 mpg. Highway rpm's will increase by 300.
Old 5/8/07, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys!

It's Chris - Susan's hubbie. I Just posted a topic in the GT Mods category looking for advice on suspension equipment. Would you all mind offering your 2c? Thanks!

Link

Chris
Old 5/8/07, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by chrison600
Hi guys!

It's Chris - Susan's hubbie. I Just posted a topic in the GT Mods category looking for advice on suspension equipment. Would you all mind offering your 2c? Thanks!
Hey Chris! Susan too chicken to post that question?

I replied to your thread.
Old 5/8/07, 01:14 PM
GTR Member

Sorry... have had a chance to read, but not reply.

Can't wait to hear about the gears, Bill. I won't be doing that myself, but I know how much of a difference they can make.

The only thing I didn't do myself was the graphics. But, that's only because they borrowed the car and I got them for free.

Um, another thing that's beyond the scope of the Taco (but not the Trooper) is window tint.
Old 5/8/07, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Um, another thing the beyond the scope of the Taco (but not the Trooper) is window tint.
I forgot about that!
Old 5/8/07, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

C'mon Bill... You know you want too!

Old 5/8/07, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yet another Shaker shroud variation.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=64995
Old 5/8/07, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if you guys have seen this web site, Uncrate.com. It profiles some of the most unique and pricey guy-toys around. These are kinda cool:

Tire Rings

It's not always easy to find manly rings, but we're pretty sure these do the trick. Tire Rings (from $100) from Brian Bergeron Designs feature intricate tire designs for cars, motorcycles, and mountain bikes, and are available in a wide range of metals, from silver to platinum. No jewels, no bling — just tread.

I think we all have to get 4 each.
Old 5/8/07, 07:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool I'm sure those could leave a lasting impression ! those are a neat ider .
Old 5/8/07, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by pville piper

C'mon Bill... You know you want too!
I'm taking it out for a spin on Thursday to a carshow. I should be done with the 3 heat cycles then.
After that, I'm droppin' the hammer, baby!

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Yet another Shaker shroud variation.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=64995
That looks pretty good, but your's looks better.

Originally Posted by Ray Man
Tire Rings

I think we all have to get 4 each.

I already have one of those, it's a slick, and it's gold. Kinda looks like a wedding band.
Old 5/8/07, 10:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill

I already have one of those, it's a slick, and it's gold. Kinda looks like a wedding band.
LOL!!! Hey I have one too!

Oh... you get my 400th post! (I know I'm still a rookie compared to you guys)
Old 5/8/07, 11:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
400 th May I Ray I be the first on a Congradulatory ! But I wish they were all of pic's you took ! I really Do LOVE the strip break light on top of rear window . I'd as a figure almost kill for a set.
Old 5/9/07, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

I'm taking it out for a spin on Thursday to a carshow. I should be done with the 3 heat cycles then.
After that, I'm droppin' the hammer, baby!
I don't understand the whole heat cycle thing... I mean, we don't do that with the factory set and I've never had one fail. I do understand taking a bit easy, but it is good for the engine to run up thru the rpm ranges when new so I don't know why this would be any different.
Old 5/9/07, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
400 th May I Ray I be the first on a Congradulatory ! But I wish they were all of pic's you took ! I really Do LOVE the strip break light on top of rear window . I'd as a figure almost kill for a set.
Ray, I wish I could have your old CS nose... I love those!
Old 5/9/07, 09:45 AM

I don't understand the whole heat cycle thing... I mean, we don't do that with the factory set and I've never had one fail. I do understand taking a bit easy, but it is good for the engine to run up thru the rpm ranges when new so I don't know why this would be any different.
Oh, I agree John. But after cutting loose $900+ bucks, I'll take the whimpy approach by taking it easy for a little while. It's not like I have to baby it for the next few months (or at least I hope not!).

Here's some new Ring & Pinion gear break-in recommendations by the manufacturers. Procedures vary, but they all hymn to the same note.

US GEARS:
BREAK-IN PROCEDURE

A new ring and pinion installed with new bearings will initially generate higher than normal operating temperatures. It is advisable to use whichever of the following break in procedures matches your application.
  • With vehicle still on jack stands and rear-end filled with proper amount of lube, run in forward and reverse approximately 2 to 3 minutes. **
  • Drive vehicle approximately 10 miles at normal operating speeds. Accelerate and decelerate several times conservatively, then let cool.
  • Do not do any heavy towing for 300 miles.
PRECISION GEAR:
1. Insure that the axle has been filled to the correct level with proper hypoid lubricant before driving the vehicle. The oil rating must be GL5 or higher. 2. Bring the axle to normal operating temperature by driving the vehicle (unloaded) for approximately 15 to 20 miles. Do not run full throttle accelerations or create any shock loads. 3. Let the axle assembly cool completely. 4. For the next 200 miles of operation, drive gently, without any heavy loads.5. If trailer towing is intended, an additional cycle of 200 to 300 miles of break-in is required without the trailer. This is important! To properly break-in a new gear set, a minimum of 500 miles of driving is essential before towing.

RICHMOND GEAR:
BREAK IN
A new ring and pinion installation, especially a high numeric ratio with new bearings, can cause an excessive heat buildup in the rear end and cause softening of the gear teeth and bearings if a break in is not performed.
Street vehicles should be driven at normal street driving speed for approximately 10 miles, then stop and let cool for 30 minutes. Do this 2 to 3 times. Towing vehicles need approximately 200-300 miles of normal street driving before being used for towing.
On circle track race cars make approximately 6 to 8 laps at slow speed, then let cool for 30 minutes. Make 6 to 8 more laps at slow speed, then 2 to 3 laps at full speed, the let cool again for 30 minutes.
Drag cars need only an initial run-in since they are driven short distances and heat is not normally a problem with proper lube and backlash allowance.
NOTE: If after the above break in is performed, overheating of the rear end is suspected, repeat the final portion of the break in procedures.

REAREND SPECIALTIES:
NEW GEAR BREAK-IN: All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15 to 20 miles, stop and let the differential cool before proceeding. Limit freeway speeds to under 55mph. Go easy on it. RS Warranty also requires at least 500 miles before towing. RS recommends towing for very short distances (less than 15 miles) and letting the differential cool before continuing during the first 45 towing miles. This may seem unnecessary but it is very easy to damage the differential by loading it before the gear set is completely broken in. RS also recommends changing the oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set.
The greatest damage results when a new ring & pinion has been run for several miles during the first 500 miles when the oil is very hot. Any heavy use or overloading at this time will cause irreparable damage to the gear that will not be warranted by RS.

OVERLOADING NEW GEAR-SETS WILL CAUSE THE GEAR OIL TO BREAK DOWN AND THE RING & PINION WILL FAIL...OR MELT!
Old 5/9/07, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

Makes more sense now... but I think they are overstating it a bit, but then you would expect them to. I do agree with you on the "I just paid $900 and don't want to screw it up!" It ain't worth the problems.
I have always felt I could do the gears myself... but I have nobody to double check what I am doing and the money saved would quickly evaporate if I screw it up!
I am getting over my walking pneumonia and I think tomorrow morning will be the day I put the shifter in... Gotta be in the morning cause I have no shade by noon.
Old 5/9/07, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That looks pretty good, but your's looks better.
Thanks.

Seems like alot of people are digging the new look.
Old 5/9/07, 11:47 AM

Makes more sense now... but I think they are overstating it a bit, but then you would expect them to.

I am getting over my walking pneumonia and I think tomorrow morning will be the day I put the shifter in... Gotta be in the morning cause I have no shade by noon.
Yes, I agree that it's probably overkill to follow those procedure's to a tee. I like the US Gears approach, step 1 has already been done. And, since I won't tow anything, step 3 is n/a. All that's left is driving it into work tomorrow to complete step 2!

Glad you're getting over your w-pneumonia, now you've run out of excuses.
You should be done with the shifter install in less than a couple hours. Let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Thanks.

Seems like alot of people are digging the new look.
More importantly, I hope YOU'RE digging the new look.

Compared to the other mod'd Shaker shrouds, yours looks the closest to OEM.
Old 5/9/07, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

This past couple of weeks (when I have been home ) solidified my decision... I am not gonna get a Roush wing. There must be a dozen or so of them around here. It's like there is only one aftermarket spoiler that people buy around here. Oh well, need to save my pennies for a Bama tune anyway.
Old 5/9/07, 12:13 PM

Oh well, need to save my pennies for a Bama tune anyway.
What? You're not running a Bama Tune yet? And you're from where?

j/k... Still think you need that Livewire? You can save a few bucks and just go with the Xcal2. Like others here, once you load the 91/93 Race tune, there's little else to discuss.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)