General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/07, 04:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Wonder if the air tools will perform better with Mobil 1?
Try Marvel Mystery oil, it works great! It's what my Dad always used on his at his auto repair shop.
Old 3/27/07, 04:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I'm going to send the radiator extensions back... they rub in 5 places that I can see:

Attachment 22617 Attachment 22618

Another thing I noticed is that area gets extremely dirty, so...

WITH the extensions, that area looks so nice when they are clean, and awful when they are dirty.

WITHOUT the extensions, that area doesn't look that great when it's clean, so you don't really notice it any more when it's dirty.

Can somebody check the following for me on their car? Are the bolts circled in the following picture really tight? And if so, do they warp the little part of bumper cover that comes up? I put the stock bolts on the same marks that were there when I removed them, but they seem to really crank down on the white (in my case) part. They have to be tight, so I'm sure it's just something I didn't notice before, but I wanted to check. Hopefully ya'll know what I'm talking about.

Attachment 22621
Sorry to hear about your rub issues. As far as the bolts are concerned yes I had to tighten them down like a ****.
Old 3/27/07, 05:05 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
As far as the bolts are concerned yes I had to tighten them down like a ****.
So it sorta warps the black body part that it is tightening down on? When I loosened them I wasn't looking at that, but now that I had to tighten them I noticed.

That's why I wanted somebody that hadn't touched those bolts to check...
Old 3/27/07, 05:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I'm going to send the radiator extensions back... they rub in 5 places that I can see:
I would like to take this time and thank Leo and Tom personally for being the Guinea Pigs for these extensions. I'm sure glad I didn't get them!

...j/k. That really bites! Like I said before here, and I'll say it again.. It's another case of rushing out a product without a thorough R&D along with multiple car fitment testing program.
Frankly, I'm surprised at how defect free the plenum cover has been. Perhaps they actually spent some time designing it.

MWAG is at total blame here.

Yeah, it's harsh, but the truth sometimes hurts.

Sorry to hear about your rub issues. As far as the bolts are concerned yes I had to tighten them down like a ****.
It should not require **** worth of torque on those little bolts. Maybe a Mo or a Fo, but not both.
Old 3/27/07, 05:17 PM

That's why I wanted somebody that hadn't touched those bolts to check...
Although I'm not looking at my car at the moment, I remember looking at them. They are NOT warping the plastic around/under the bolt head.

I can snap a close-up pic tonight if you want.
Old 3/27/07, 05:58 PM
GTR Member

Although I'm not looking at my car at the moment, I remember looking at them. They are NOT warping the plastic around/under the bolt head.

I can snap a close-up pic tonight if you want.
If they are tight, they have to be. Take a pic from the back (like the engine is looking at them). These pics are very close and you can see the reflection change where it is warped in the 3rd and 4th pic. The plastic was in that shape when I took the bolts out, so that's how they had to be before, I guess.

Attachment 22634 Attachment 22635 Attachment 22636 Attachment 22637

I didn't tighten them like a ****, just snugged them down until the bolt was tight. You could see the indention it made in the plastic from being on before.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5359.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5361.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5363.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5365.jpg  
Old 3/27/07, 06:03 PM

Take a pic from the back (like the engine is looking at them). These pics are very close and you can see the reflection change where it is warped in the 3rd and 4th pic.
That's just bad.

I'll take pics tonight from the same angles.
Old 3/27/07, 06:06 PM
GTR Member

That's just bad.

I'll take pics tonight from the same angles.
It's really not that bad... those are very close pics (had to use the macro setting on the camera)... one of those things nobody would ever see unless I pointed it out.

And you don't think yours will look like that? I'm betting they will since there isn't really any support underneath that plastic piece to, well, support it good enough when you tighten down on that bolt. Remember, those bolts are snug, but I could tighten them more if I really wanted to. I just used a short 10mm wrench - no ratchet and socket with a breaker bar.
Old 3/27/07, 06:14 PM
GTR Member

I found only one picture from almost exactly a year ago that shows those bolts - or at least the one side.

Attachment 22641

If you look closely, you can see the curvature of the plastic piece (just like it is now). And if you look really closely, you can see the reflection change where it is warped.

So! At least it's the same as it was before and it isn't something I did.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn2814.jpg  
Old 3/27/07, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom-I'll check mine whenever I get off my but and send my covers back.

Bill-Your on a funny streak today.
Old 3/27/07, 07:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to take this time and thank Leo and Tom personally for being the Guinea Pigs for these extensions. I'm sure glad I didn't get them!
+2 I was looking forward to getting these too. But I'm sure I can find something else to spend $100 bucks on... all kidding aside Sorry to here it isn't working.

It should not require **** worth of torque on those little bolts. Maybe a Mo or a Fo, but not both.
Don't quit your day job. You've got more work to do on your routines.
Old 3/27/07, 07:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
H-Pipe clamps cont....

Called a dealer today. FIFTY buck a piece !!! Can you believe that ? $100 bucks for some exhaust clamps !!! If I bought a third one I could get a "TacoBill Special" Air compressor !!! Napa *might* have them but after talking to the counter person I'm not confident. I gotta find a way to make this better because the leak, IMO, sounds like crap right now.

Granted having the O/R H is making me a more conservative driver. I'm only getting on it when I mean it. Trying to keep it below 2500 rpms isn't easy... Did I mention that there is a LA County Sheriff station a block or two away from my work. I can't turn the corner without seeing the po-lice.
Old 3/27/07, 07:25 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by habu
IMO, sounds like crap
Hmmm... I thought so, too!
Old 3/27/07, 08:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom I just went out and checked my covers and found I have rubbing issues in the exact same places you pointed out. Only difference was I didn't have as many. I'll snap some pics when I get a chance.
Old 3/27/07, 08:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
It's really not that bad... those are very close pics (had to use the macro setting on the camera)... one of those things nobody would ever see unless I pointed it out.

And you don't think yours will look like that? I'm betting they will since there isn't really any support underneath that plastic piece to, well, support it good enough when you tighten down on that bolt. Remember, those bolts are snug, but I could tighten them more if I really wanted to. I just used a short 10mm wrench - no ratchet and socket with a breaker bar.
That's just the way it is.
I just had to pull off my whole front bumper to install my driving lights.
Not the best design. Maybe we should add a plate underneath.
Old 3/27/07, 09:01 PM

... And you don't think yours will look like that? I'm betting they will since there isn't really any support underneath that plastic piece to, well, support it good enough when you tighten down on that bolt.
Once again, Tom is correct. From afar, it doesn't look bad at all, but when shot close-up in macro.. .. warp city!
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_2821.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_2822.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_2827.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_2828.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_2830.jpg  

Old 3/27/07, 09:09 PM
Cobra R Member

So...

Yesterday, I took my dads F250 in to get the speedo fixed (to fix the problem I talked about a couple of weeks ago), and I've been driving around in a loaner Fusion the past couple of days.

I must say, I'm not very impressed at all. The 4-banger engine in it is a pig with what seems to be little power.

I'm use to a Corolla as my daily driver, and I think that has more power than the fusion (which makes sense, since the corolla is much smaller).

To explain about the fusion: the engine LOVES to rev. In order to get any moderate acceleration, you must use a moderate amount of pedal. And, by doing this, the engine revs to almost red-line. The engine seems to just free-rev when accelerating, with no "push you in the seat" feeling. It just seems to have no torque due to the high revving nature.

Obviously, this is a loaner vehicle, so ammenities such as leather, sunroof, etc are absent. But, it was an SE, so it did have all power, 5-spoke aluminum wheels, A/C, etc.

But, things just feel weird in this car. It's very similar to the mustang in controls and layout, but unlike the mustang, the radio controls and A/C ***** aren't nicely oriented (the A/C controls are not flush with the radio...instead, the radio sticks out further), nor is the headlight control (which seems too low as well).

Further, the rear window is so "thin" (height wise), that you don't have a very good view of what's behind you. And, it seems like you have to sit high in the car to see over the windshield, yet all those aforementioned controls are low in the cockpit. Finally, car non-leather steering wheel and everything else plastic was grainy (but, my discomfort may have also been due to the "stickiness" that could have been from soda hands).

Anyway, I thought I'd share my experiences with the car. Luckily, the dealership called me up earlier and said the truck was ready, and so I'm happy to be able to pick it up tomorrow (I'm hoping that they actually replaced the cluster...I dropped it off yesterday morning, and it's ready next day...so I'm hoping that it's due to the cluster being overnighted ). The only nice thing about the Fusion is that it got at least a solid 35 mpg at 60mph

So, I don't think I'll be contemplating a Fusion anytime soon, and I'm happy to be able to get the truck tomorrow. That truck would eat the Fusion up, not even for breakfast but as a snack.
Old 3/27/07, 09:13 PM

Bill-Your on a funny streak today.
You mean everyday! My wife always says that I'm funny (or was it funny looking? ).

Originally Posted by habu
... But I'm sure I can find something else to spend $100 bucks on...

Don't quit your day job. You've got more work to do on your routines.
I know what you can spend $100 bucks on... 6 letters, starts with C, ends with S, and can be found at your local Ford Dealer Parts Dept.

I have a day job? Well, I guess making vids and keeping up on the forums is a job!

Hmmm... I thought so, too!
Misquoted!
Here's Brian's entire quote.., "I gotta find a way to make this better because the leak, IMO, sounds like crap right now."

Well, whenever Brian swaps in the factory ClampS, it'll sound sweet and be leak-free!
Old 3/27/07, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by mikes rx
... I've been driving around in a loaner Fusion the past couple of days.

I must say, I'm not very impressed at all. The 4-banger engine in it is a pig with what seems to be little power.
Too bad you didn't have a 87P tune from Doug for the Fusion. It would've given it some pep in it's step!
Old 3/27/07, 09:23 PM
Cobra R Member

I know what you can spend $100 bucks on... 5 letters, starts with C, ends with S, and can be found at your local Ford Dealer Parts Dept.

Well, whenever Brian swaps in the factory ClampS, it'll sound sweet and be leak-free!
Clamps is 6 letters. What else could you be talking about??

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)