General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/07, 02:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another MGW shifter review. Tom looks like your comfort theory has been debunked.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=62988
Old 4/2/07, 02:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Your welcome Bill.

Found this for Brian. I sent the guy a pm to try and hold it till Brian gets on.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...724#post880724
Thanks for the head's up but for right now I have to decline. I let 06gt know.
Old 4/2/07, 03:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by habu
Thanks for the head's up but for right now I have to decline. I let 06gt know.
Oh well atleast I tried. Makes no sense for Daryl to jump on it since he wants it painted to match and he could get the unpainted one for $219 shipped.
Old 4/2/07, 03:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
If there was an award for the 'Best Parts Deal Scout', Leo wins it hands down. He must scour the internet and forums looking for the best deals, new and used.

You da man, Leo!
Old 4/2/07, 03:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I gladly accept this award.

Well where do I start???? I'd like to thank......

----------------------
Bill you need to start using the "New Post" feature. You miss out on so many threads by not doing this.
Old 4/2/07, 03:16 PM

It's Leo's turn to be the Comedian today.

Yeah, never used that 'new post' feature before. I'll look into it.
Old 4/2/07, 03:17 PM
GTR Member

Another MGW shifter review. Tom looks like your comfort theory has been debunked.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=62988
And I've heard people say that the Steeda Ultra Lites give no loss of ride comfort, too.

Let's try something else. A number scale from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). First we'll do springs.

Look of stock '99-'04 springs: 1
Comfort of stock '99-'04 springs: 10

Look of stock '05+ springs: 5
Comfort of stock '05+ springs: 10

Look of Ultra Lite springs on '05+: 10
Comfort of Ultra Lite springs on '05+: 8

So we gained 5 points for looks and lost 2 points for comfort. That's a fair trade-off that I'm willing to make. I gained a lot, and gave up a little. For about $250.

Now we'll do a shifter. I'll back off on the vibration argument for this analysis.

Ease of shifting a stock shifter: 9
Comfort level of a stock shifter: 10

Ease of shifting an MGW aftermarket shifter: 10
Comfort level of an MGW aftermarket shifter: 10 (although a miracle)

So we gained 1 point for ease of shifting and I'll concede for now that we lost 0 points for comfort level. Is this worth OVER $300??

Remember, my arguements are for a daily driver.

The benefits aren't great enough (like the springs) for me to even touch it.
Old 4/2/07, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
So Tom, when are you going to put your order in?

(I'll rebut something later, almost time for me to go home.)
Old 4/2/07, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

And I've heard people say that the Steeda Ultra Lites give no loss of ride comfort, too.

Let's try something else. A number scale from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). First we'll do springs.

Look of stock '99-'04 springs: 1
Comfort of stock '99-'04 springs: 10

Look of stock '05+ springs: 5
Comfort of stock '05+ springs: 10

Look of Ultra Lite springs on '05+: 10
Comfort of Ultra Lite springs on '05+: 8

So we gained 5 points for looks and lost 2 points for comfort. That's a fair trade-off that I'm willing to make. I gained a lot, and gave up a little. For about $250.

Now we'll do a shifter. I'll back off on the vibration argument for this analysis.

Ease of shifting a stock shifter: 9
Comfort level of a stock shifter: 10

Ease of shifting an MGW aftermarket shifter: 10
Comfort level of an MGW aftermarket shifter: 10 (although a miracle)

So we gained 1 point for ease of shifting and I'll concede for now that we lost 0 points for comfort level. Is this worth OVER $300??

Remember, my arguements are for a daily driver.

The point system is fouled because it's being graded by you.
Old 4/2/07, 03:54 PM
GTR Member

It's an example to show if the end justifies the means.

The fact that the cars need to be lowered is just that, a fact, not an opinion.

VA Mike - .

As far as the shifter goes, it would have to be a night and day difference like in my '89 for me to consider it. Like a 2 or 3 improved to a 9 or 10.

And when something is soooooo much better than past models, it doesn't leave room for ENOUGH improvement to be called a "night and day difference".

THAT's what the point system I used shows.

Even if the shifter was $50, or even given to me free for some reason I doubt I would change it. Well, maybe if it were FREE... why not... but short of stealing one I don't see how that is possible.
Old 4/2/07, 04:00 PM
GTR Member

Why don't you put one in YOUR car if you like it so much!

Old 4/2/07, 04:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

True. But the fact that the cars need to be lowered is just that, a fact, not an opinion. Mike - .

As far as the shifter goes, it would have to be a night and day difference like in my '89 for me to consider it. Like a 2 or 3 improved to a 9 or 10.

And when something is soooooo much better than past models, it doesn't leave room for ENOUGH improvement to be called a "night and day difference".

I understand that you think the S197 shifter is the greatest thing since sliced bread. But how can you say there isn't/won't be enough of an improvement to justify getting the MGW shifter when you've never even tried it.

Here's an example. I had a 04 pony w/auto tranny and I rented an 05 vert w/auto tranny the difference between the two was night and day. So needless to say when I got my 06GT I was more than happy with the auto tranny. So when I heard of this "Bama tune" I figured how much better can you really get. It is really worth $400 to improve something Ford has already improved when compared to the SN-95's auto tranny? I think we all know that answer to this. Imagine all the fun I would have missed If I'd decided that the stock shift points/tune were good enough. So with that said how do you know the improvement won't be worth it? Don't knock it till you've tried it!!!
Old 4/2/07, 04:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Why don't you put one in YOUR car if you like it so much!

I see you've resorted to 5th grade tactics.

BTW-I love busting your B's. You get so passionate about things.
Old 4/2/07, 04:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Off topic but.... Tom do your tailight bezels look like these??
Old 4/2/07, 04:15 PM
Cobra R Member

It's an example to show if the end justifies the means.

VA Mike - .
I saw that comment coming as soon as I read your post about the springs

Even if the shifter was $50, or even given to me free for some reason I doubt I would change it. Well, maybe if it were FREE... why not... but short of stealing one I don't see how that is possible.
That's the problem I'm having. I have the saleen adapter, and for the ~$30 I paid (now it costs $50), it can't be beat. I was seriously considering the MGW shifter, based on how nice it was on my 2000 (even compared to the steeda tri-ax that I had)...

I'm sure it's a nice piece, but it's hard to justify spending $300 for something when my $30 piece is paid for and working very well.

Plus, I have a feeling that their retail price will go down after a few months to better compete with their competition.

just my observation.
Old 4/2/07, 04:28 PM
GTR Member

I understand that you think the S197 shifter is the greatest thing since sliced bread. But how can you say there isn't/won't be enough of an improvement to justify getting the MGW shifter when you've never even tried it.

Here's an example. I had a 04 pony w/auto tranny and I rented an 05 vert w/auto tranny the difference between the two was night and day. So needless to say when I got my 06GT I was more than happy with the auto tranny. So when I heard of this "Bama tune" I figured how much better can you really get. It is really worth $400 to improve something Ford has already improved when compared to the SN-95's auto tranny? I think we all know that answer to this. Imagine all the fun I would have missed If I'd decided that the stock shift points/tune were good enough. So with that said how do you know the improvement won't be worth it? Don't knock it till you've tried it!!!
The tunes can be compared to the springs. Like the stock springs, the stock tune leaves MUCH to be desired on manual and auto cars. There is a HUGE benefit to getting the Bamachips tune. Worth every penny of the $400, just like the springs are worth every penny of the $250.

I can give you several examples of why I would want to spend the $400 or the $250 for those mods.

Give me just 1 good example of why I need to spend over $300 for a new shifter for a DAILY DRIVER (which is what my entire arguement is based on).

You can not use:

Shorter throw - already shorter than previous years and doesn't need to be shorter for daily driving.

Better feel - the stock one is firm and not a "wet noodle".

Easier shifting - no problem there, even hitting 3rd gear.
Old 4/2/07, 04:30 PM
Cobra R Member

I Hate Ups!!!!!

I HATE UPS!!!

On the internet, my local UPS store states that their hours are 9:30 to 5:30. So, I jetted over there immediately after work. After driving 15 minutes/10 miles down to the store, their window states that they are open 9:30 to 5:00. I'm thinking WTF. To make things worse, they are already gone too. A double WTF.

So, I get home and call UPSstore customer service. They tell me that they are showing 9:30 to 5:30, not only on the internet, but also in their main records. So, they tell me that they will put a call out to the area manager. I ask if there is any way to schedule a pickup, and what the charge is for it (if any), since the shipping is prepaid. they tell me to call corporate UPS.

So, I call corporate UPS, and they tell me that it's a $4.50 charge just to schedule a pickup, and that it can't be waived unless I happen to find a UPS driver that's dropping off a package. I ask, given my issue regarding the store closing at a different hour than stated, if there is any thing thing can do...that was a BIG FAT NO! on their end.

So, I'm stuck with a package that I need to send out for a buyer off ebay, and can't get to the darn UPS store to drop it off. My only saving grace is that I have a package that's supposed to be delivered this week, so I can just leave my package there for the driver to pickup.

The UPS store is just like UPS canada Two totally different sections of UPS, and no one from either can help you

Sorry for the rant, now back to poking at me for not having springs.
Old 4/2/07, 04:33 PM
GTR Member

Off topic but.... Tom do your tailight bezels look like these??
No, mine are the same width all the way around. Which I sorta like better. The ones in your pic look too bold to me. Remember, I was looking for retro and tasteful.

Attachment 23100 Attachment 23101
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5137.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5145.jpg  
Old 4/2/07, 04:33 PM

Look of stock '99-'04 springs: 1 (that bad?? Leo?)
Comfort of stock '99-'04 springs: 10 (10? It rode smoother than a Caddy?)

Look of stock '05+ springs: 5 (agree)
Comfort of stock '05+ springs: 10 (10? It rode smoother than a Caddy?)

Look of Ultra Lite springs on '05+: 10 (I like it, but I like the look of the Eibach Pro's better.. so not really a 10)
Comfort of Ultra Lite springs on '05+: 8 (8's too high if a 10 is riding on a cloud)

Ease of shifting a stock shifter: 9 (once gain, too high. Ever shift a new Honda whatever? Now compare that to the Mustang)
Comfort level of a stock shifter: 10 (see above)

Ease of shifting an MGW aftermarket shifter: 10 (I'll tell you Saturday)
Comfort level of an MGW aftermarket shifter: 10 (same thing)

Disagree with my numbers? I hope so. It just points out that they're merely opinions. If your preception of the stock Mustang shifter is the greatest, then it is (in your mind). And, if all aftermarket shifters are junk, ditto.

... I doubt I would change it. Well, maybe if it were FREE... why not... but short of stealing one I don't see how that is possible.
Your point system is jacked up. A 1 to 10 scale is way too broad. A 1 to 4 grading system is much better for this example.

On lowering, that's an opinion, which I hope you really meant.

I still have hope for you if you're considering one if it were free. If you were dead against it, free or not, you'd still say no.

Very well put, Leo. You sound so mature in that post, I'm impressed!

I see you've resorted to 5th grade tactics.
There's that maturity again!
Old 4/2/07, 04:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The tunes can be compared to the springs. Like the stock springs, the stock tune leaves MUCH to be desired on manual and auto cars. There is a HUGE benefit to getting the Bamachips tune. Worth every penny of the $400, just like the springs are worth every penny of the $250.

I can give you several examples of why I would want to spend the $400 or the $250 for those mods.

Give me just 1 good example of why I need to spend over $300 for a new shifter for a DAILY DRIVER (which is what my entire arguement is based on).

You can not use:

Shorter throw - already shorter than previous years and doesn't need to be shorter for daily driving.

Better feel - the stock one is firm and not a "wet noodle".

Easier shifting - no problem there, even hitting 3rd gear.
So how did you know there was a "HUGE" improvement between the stock tune and the Bama tune? You didn't untill you tried it.

Why can't I use shorter throw,better feel and easier shifting??? These cars handle, drive and feel better than previous models. So why change anything on them??? I'll tell you why because there's always room for improvement over stock.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)