General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/06, 03:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Thanks, looking forward to seeing them.
On that topic, what made you pull the trigger and get the Xenon scoops over the others (Cervini, Razzi, 3D Carbon, etc.)?
Well to be honest, originally I wanted the Cervinis Window Scoops, but after seeing them on several other members cars, they just looked TOO big.
I didn't like the 3D carbon soley because the opening is cut straight with no taper.
Attachment 654
I like the shape of the Razzi, but they are only as big as the window and would be my 2nd choice.
I got the door scoops from Xenon because IMO they are the only ones that flow with the shape of the car. The others look TOO tape-on. The Xenon wrap over the wheel well a little and make it look more like it was supposed to be there.
Attached Images  
Old 5/18/06, 03:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Why you always make sure your parking brake is set.
This happened at work today. No one knows why.
This was an old Blazer of the owner's that no one has driven in quite awhile, it was just stored here.
Attachment 656Attachment 655Attachment 657Attachment 658
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-blazer-2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-blazer-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-blazer-3.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-blazer4.jpg  
Old 5/18/06, 03:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
I didn't like the 3D carbon soley because the opening is cut straight with no taper.

I like the shape of the Razzi, but they are only as big as the window and would be my 2nd choice.

I got the door scoops from Xenon because IMO they are the only ones that flow with the shape of the car. The others look TOO tape-on. The Xenon wrap over the wheel well a little and make it look more like it was supposed to be there.
On the 3D pic, the red arrow is pointing at the straight cut ledge? Also looks like the leading edge isn't taped town that good either.

Man, I keep going back and forth on these scoops. First it was 'all systems go!', then it went to the back burner, now its back to the front.

Also re-considering the 10 or 12" vinyl racing stripes.

I wonder if I'll ever sit back and say, 'I'm finally done!'.
Old 5/18/06, 03:25 PM
GTR Member

Positioned the studs/nuts in the exact factory position.
I pulled the strut assembly over toward the fenderwell when I tightened those 4 nuts. The holes are quite a bit bigger then the studs, so the studs are pulled against the side closest to the fenderwell.

Now the center stud is 6mm closer to one side of the hole than the other (it used to be centered in the hole or close to it).

Doing that tilts the spindle a lot more then the slop in the bolts where the spindle attaches to the strut assembly.

Never!

That happened in the movie RV!
Old 5/18/06, 03:26 PM

This happened at work today. No one knows why.
This was an old Blazer of the owner's that no one has driven in quite awhile, it was just stored here.
Wow!

That's unfortunate, but it's kinda funny (I have a twisted sense of humor sometimes).

I always set my parking brake, even in the garage (which is level).
Old 5/18/06, 03:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Wow!

That's unfortunate, but it's kinda funny (I have a twisted sense of humor sometimes).

I always set my parking brake, even in the garage (which is level).
Trust me, about the only person that wasn't laughing around here was the owner.
To make things even funnier, of all the times for this to happen, we had an insurance company here to quote on the fleet insurance. LOL, how funny is that.
Old 5/18/06, 03:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

On the 3D pic, the red arrow is pointing at the straight cut ledge? Also looks like the leading edge isn't taped town that good either.
The circled areas are what I am referring too.
Attachment 659
See how there is no variation on the 3D and there is a 2-3" variation on the Xenon ? That is what I liked about them.

Just like Tom said "NEVER"
Attached Images  
Old 5/18/06, 04:31 PM

See how there is no variation on the 3D and there is a 2-3" variation on the Xenon ? That is what I liked about them.

Just like Tom said "NEVER"
It's crystal now.

Never? Well then, let's go spend some more money! I'm supposed to get a stock option bonus next month, hmm... stripes? scoops?? both???
Old 5/18/06, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I pulled the strut assembly over toward the fenderwell when I tightened those 4 nuts. The holes are quite a bit bigger then the studs, so the studs are pulled against the side closest to the fenderwell.

Now the center stud is 6mm closer to one side of the hole than the other (it used to be centered in the hole or close to it).
Tom- Take a pic of the top studs. Can't get a visual on which direction it's up against. In airplane talk, we always refer to directions as up, down, inboard, and outboard.
Old 5/18/06, 04:53 PM
GTR Member

Here is a quick shot in the garage. I only backed it out and back in to un-**** the front wheels.

Attachment 666

I still have one rotor to install (as can be seen on the floor).

I'm close to my marks on the floor, and without any settling of the springs at all the front dropped about 5/8", and the rears exactly 1". I'm sure they will drop more in the next week, so I'll post my before and after measurements then (and pics).

Camber is almost exactly like it was stock! I'll check it again after it lowers more, but it's at about -1 degree right now.

Bill... the nuts are on the studs now, so you can't see in a pic. With the nuts loose, stand on the side of the car and pull the center stud toward you (outboard) and tighten the nuts. The center stud should be closer to the fenderwell. This adds + camber. Not much, but it might be all we need. (With the billet caps, you can't tell the center stud is not centered, and any missing paint around the nuts is covered, too!)
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3311.jpg  
Old 5/18/06, 05:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

OK Bill these pictures are for you.
The window from the inside
Attachment 669
Anything you see is only reflection of my interior, you can't see any scoop period.

OK here are the backsides of the scoops.
Attachment 667Attachment 668

And recommended tape placement.
Attachment 671Attachment 670

D A M N They look HUGE in that picture, but they are not that big
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-backside-driver-side-door-scoop-2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-backside-driver-side-window-scoop-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-driver-side-inside-view-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-tape-placement-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-tape-markings-2.jpg  

Old 5/18/06, 05:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

It's crystal now.

Never? Well then, let's go spend some more money! I'm supposed to get a stock option bonus next month, hmm... stripes? scoops?? both???
Just FYI when I was researching the Xenon scoops, AutoAccessory4U.com had them the cheapest. I purchased the scoops from them but through eBay using PayPal.
Old 5/18/06, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Here is a quick shot in the garage.

Bill... the nuts are on the studs now, so you can't see in a pic.
Lookin' good, Tom! That Ultralite drop looks perfect on your vert. When the fronts settle a bit, it'll look all the more better. Good job.

Okay, I took some measurements off my center strut stud in relation to the hole opening so you can compare it to yours.

pics attached (5 total):
2 views only (see pic file name for description);
Driver's side, looking aft, 2" mark on scale lined up to hole opening, scale butted up against the threaded stud.

Same, but looking inboard.

(Passenger side pics on next post)
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-strut_driver_looking-aft1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-strut_driver_looking-aft2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-strut_driver_looking-inboard1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-strut_driver_looking-inboard2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-strut_driver_looking-inboard3.jpg  

Old 5/18/06, 09:49 PM

Passenger side; same as above post.

5 pics total.
(3 pics looking aft, 2 pics looking inboard)
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-strut_pass_looking-aft1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-strut_pass_looking-aft2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-strut_pass_looking-aft3.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-strut_pass_looking-inboard1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-strut_pass_looking-inboard2.jpg  

Old 5/18/06, 09:59 PM

Negative Camber

Negative camber is apparent, at least in my front passenger wheel.
(Can't verify my driver's side because of my Parking Mat)

End of straight edge is noticibly closer to the bottom section of the tire (even with the slight buldge) as compared to the top section.

As to what degree, I have no idea.

I have to take it to my front end guy just as soon as I find the motivation.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-pass_fr_straight-edge_lower-tire.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-pass_fr_straight-edge_lower-tire2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-pass_fr_straight-edge_upper-tire.jpg  
Old 5/18/06, 10:03 PM

OK Bill these pictures are for you.
Thanks for posting the pics, Daryl!

Yes, the scoops look huge when not up against the car.

Did the scoops come with the tape?

Are you going to apply the double side tape or the paint guys?

I like them.
Old 5/18/06, 10:17 PM

Just FYI when I was researching the Xenon scoops, AutoAccessory4U.com had them the cheapest. I purchased the scoops from them but through eBay using PayPal.
Thanks for the link.

I found this on ebay.
Price sounds comparable to AutoAccessory4U. If my painter charged me $130 for the CDC spoiler, wonder what it'll cost for 4 scoops?
Old 5/18/06, 10:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for posting the pics, Daryl!

Yes, the scoops look huge when not up against the car.

Did the scoops come with the tape?

Are you going to apply the double side tape or the paint guys?

I like them.
Yes they came with tape, adhesion promoter and instructions.
Scott is going to install the 3M tape on the scoops leaving the backing strip on. Then I will get my alignments, mark the locations then remove the backing strip and apply.
That is pretty close to the same price, mine just didn't come in a 4pc set, but got a shipping discount as I bought both sets at the same time.
Old 5/18/06, 11:06 PM
GTR Member

Lookin' good, Tom! That Ultralite drop looks perfect on your vert. When the fronts settle a bit, it'll look all the more better. Good job.

Okay, I took some measurements off my center strut stud in relation to the hole opening so you can compare it to yours.
Thanks!

What I did for measurements was lay the metal ruler on edge against the exposed threads on the middle stud and measured to the edge of the circle (only for inboard and outboard). Forward and backward would be for caster, and the center stud is still very close to being centered that way.

Both sides measured the same when pulling the center stud outboard toward the fender. 15mm from the threads to the edge of the circle outboard, and 21mm from the threads to the edge of the circle inboard. Centered would be 18mm and 18mm, so I moved the center stud 3mm toward the fenderwell.

OK, trig time. The distance from the top of the strut assembly (where the nuts are) to the pivot point on the spindle is 28.5" (724mm). I moved the the center stud 3mm toward the fender. The angle is equal to the arctangent of 3 divided by 724, which is .25 degrees.

That .25 degrees might be just enough to bring camber back into specs without using camber bolts.
Old 5/18/06, 11:14 PM
GTR Member

5 in a row, Bill... way to rack up post numbers!

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)