General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/06, 08:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
I'm blaming the response time of the caffeine kick, see my edit above.
Looks like someone else has found the alcohol.
LOL
Old 5/18/06, 08:35 AM
GTR Member

I don't recall seeing that I had to remove these is your write-up, Bill:

Attachment 638

The axle wouldn't lower enough with these Vert-Only Specials in the way.

So much for the rear being easier.

BTW, did you get the feeling that the car was folding in half when you lowered the rear axle and supported the frame on the jackstands? They are so far forward.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3309.jpg  
Old 5/18/06, 08:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I don't recall seeing that I had to remove these is your write-up, Bill:

Attachment 638

The axle wouldn't lower enough with these Vert-Only Specials in the way.

So much for the rear being easier.

BTW, did you get the feeling that the car was folding in half when you lowered the rear axle and supported the frame on the jackstands? They are so far forward.
I don't have those funny looking bars.

No folding feeling, but one side seem to go down further than the other.

I always leave the floor jack up under the pumpkin in conjunction with the jack stands, just incase. I don't trust either by themselves.
Old 5/18/06, 08:52 AM
GTR Member

I always leave the floor jack up under the pumpkin in conjunction with the jack stands, just incase. I don't trust either by themselves.
So do I, but when the axle is all the way down to remove the springs, the jack isn't supporting the car at all.

It's just the thought of all the weight of the car on the 2 jack-stand points IN FRONT of the rear wheels.
Old 5/18/06, 08:58 AM

So do I, but when the axle is all the way down to remove the springs, the jack isn't supporting the car at all.

It's just the thought of all the weight of the car on the 2 jack-stand points IN FRONT of the rear wheels.
Yes, it's alot of weight. To add to that, you even have to press down on each side of the axle to get the OEM springs out.

Hope your life insurance is paid up.
Old 5/18/06, 09:15 AM

Got my MGW oil and radiator caps installed!

Quality is 1st Class like their other stuff. These are complete replacement caps, not covers.

Old 5/18/06, 09:17 AM
GTR Member

Caps look great!

Hey, which way did you face the pig tails on the rear springs? Do you remember?
Old 5/18/06, 09:30 AM

Hey, which way did you face the pig tails on the rear...
Towards the latrine! Sorry, had to say it.

Doesn't matter, but you can see the indentation on the axle pad from the OEM coils and orientate them the same.
Old 5/18/06, 09:39 AM
GTR Member

Towards the latrine! Sorry, had to say it.

Doesn't matter, but you can see the indentation on the axle pad from the OEM coils and orientate them the same.
I took the pads off before checking to clean them (wasn't thinking about pigtails then). The passenger side pad was folded under itself, so I fixed that.

Pre-'05 manuals tell you to face the pigtails a certain way.

The '06 service manual says the labels on the stock springs should be toward the rear. This makes the pigtails face toward the front.

So, dumb or not, I re-lowered the rear axle and rotated the springs that way (the vert braces were still off, so it was easy).
Old 5/18/06, 09:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Got my MGW oil and radiator caps installed!

Quality is 1st Class like their other stuff. These are complete replacement caps, not covers.
Those look awsome Bill.
Old 5/18/06, 09:50 AM

Mustang Cafe

Well, I had my 2nd outing at the Cafe with my club. There were alot more 05/06's out there this time. Many more came after I took these pics and almost every color was represented except for PW and VB, maybe 12-13 or so total.

I was flanked by GT's with Saleen superchargers, pretty neat, but the cost of them...

I was the only one with the CDC Classic Chin Spoiler!
And yes, everyone loved it!

I got to see a set of Xenon scoops up close and my son, Chris, says that we MUST get them! Obviously, he must think I have an endless supply of money.

The wife is sporting my new club jacket I picked up lastnight. I'll turn her into a Mustang fan yet!
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_8188m.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_8189m.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_8192m.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_8191m.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_8196m.jpg  

Old 5/18/06, 09:58 AM

I took the pads off before checking to clean them (wasn't thinking about pigtails then). The passenger side pad was folded under itself, so I fixed that.

Pre-'05 manuals tell you to face the pigtails a certain way.

The '06 service manual says the labels on the stock springs should be toward the rear. This makes the pigtails face toward the front.

So, dumb or not, I re-lowered the rear axle and rotated the springs that way (the vert braces were still off, so it was easy).
Here's 2 pics of the way mine are. Can't really see the actual ends, but you can imagine pretty much where it is.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-drivers-side.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-passengers-side.jpg  
Old 5/18/06, 10:15 AM

Daryl, when you get your scoops back, can you take a pic of the backsides? I want to see how and where the double side tape goes.

Not sure if I allready asked you this, but are you doing anything different to the rear quarter windows before installing your scoops over them? (Same tint, darker tint, balckout film?)
Old 5/18/06, 10:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Daryl, when you get your scoops back, can you take a pic of the backsides? I want to see how and where the double side tape goes.

Not sure if I allready asked you this, but are you doing anything different to the rear quarter windows before installing your scoops over them? (Same tint, darker tint, balckout film?)
When I get them back from the painter I will snap pics of the backside. He was going to apply the tape to the backside of my scoops for me, and I don't know if he has done that already or not. (Might drop by at lunch again today) I don't plan on doing anything to the window. I think with the 15% tint and the black background of the scoop it will just look black from inside the car. (If I can get a friend to hold the scoops up I will snap some pics of that too)
The back of the scoops have a tape ledge, a sunken area that borders the entire scoop. If you can visualize that
Old 5/18/06, 01:13 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bad day In Austin. As of latley , I aint been in to gooda mood. Job and all that noise , but I go in real early in the AM , and iffin it aint rainin , or a good chance I`ll drive the GT. Took the pony in today. Well a rotten day at the JOB , and I get off after 10 hrs <at the Airport> and start down the street. well it used to be Bergstrom AFB , and the streets are a few of the same when it was. Well , for me to get out , I have to go thru a 4 way stop. it used to be a double checkpoint. well I wait my turn and start to make my left turn and this city HACK <Taxi> turns at the same time as I do. he has a lane but he seems to want mine as well. Well I got to cut the turn sharper than normal and BAM! Nailed the curb on the left side of the rear tire HARD. M&*%#% F*^$#@!!! All the way home I kept thinkin I just screwed my mag wheel all to hell. Got in the driveway and looked and Nuthin , just a rub on my tire. ****ed glad I got the 17 inchers with lots `O meat , cuz if it was low profile , those Air Force curbs would have bent it for sure. Just got my Sequential tail lights in the mail , lemme put `em in.
Old 5/18/06, 01:19 PM

Mike- Sounds like you had a close call. Glad no permanent damage occurred.

Good luck with the sequentials, they're on my future mod list.
Old 5/18/06, 01:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by KdF
A bad day In Austin. As of latley , I aint been in to gooda mood. Job and all that noise , but I go in real early in the AM , and iffin it aint rainin , or a good chance I`ll drive the GT. Took the pony in today. Well a rotten day at the JOB , and I get off after 10 hrs <at the Airport> and start down the street. well it used to be Bergstrom AFB , and the streets are a few of the same when it was. Well , for me to get out , I have to go thru a 4 way stop. it used to be a double checkpoint. well I wait my turn and start to make my left turn and this city HACK <Taxi> turns at the same time as I do. he has a lane but he seems to want mine as well. Well I got to cut the turn sharper than normal and BAM! Nailed the curb on the left side of the rear tire HARD. M&*%#% F*^$#@!!! All the way home I kept thinkin I just screwed my mag wheel all to hell. Got in the driveway and looked and Nuthin , just a rub on my tire. ****ed glad I got the 17 inchers with lots `O meat , cuz if it was low profile , those Air Force curbs would have bent it for sure. Just got my Sequential tail lights in the mail , lemme put `em in.
I'm glad you have no damage The one thing I have noticed since I got my Stang (or maybe I just pay more attention) is that I am a freaking target for stupid people on the road. I have had more people pull out in front of me, cut me off, etc than ever before.

I stopped by the painters at lunch and he said they should be ready today or tomorrow, so hopefully a Monday install (Took Monday off !!)
I took some pictures for you Bill, and with the 15% Window Tint and the scoop over the window it just looks like a black window. Can't see any of the lettering etc on the scoop through the window. I also took pics of the backside of them, before the 3M tape.
I will post pics tonight when I get home (no USB cable or card reader for the camera at work)
Got those springs installed yet Tom? You have had all day now
Old 5/18/06, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
I took some pictures for you Bill, and with the 15% Window Tint and the scoop over the window it just looks like a black window. Can't see any of the lettering etc on the scoop through the window. I also took pics of the backside of them, before the 3M tape.
I will post pics tonight when I get home (no USB cable or card reader for the camera at work)

Got those springs installed yet Tom? You have had all day now
Thanks, looking forward to seeing them.
On that topic, what made you pull the trigger and get the Xenon scoops over the others (Cervini, Razzi, 3D Carbon, etc.)?

Yeah Tom, where's the pics?
Old 5/18/06, 02:30 PM
GTR Member

I'm slooooow and picky. I had to mess around with those braces, too:

Attachment 651

I'm glad I found that tightening order.

Plus, I'm playing around with camber (seeing how much of a difference it makes on how you install the top 4 nuts).

Bill -- Did you just tighten those nuts down? center the middle stud? try to hit the same marks as from the factory? something else?
Attached Images  
Old 5/18/06, 02:52 PM

I'm slooooow and picky. I had to mess around with those braces, too:

Attachment 651

I'm glad I found that tightening order.

Plus, I'm playing around with camber (seeing how much of a difference it makes on how you install the top 4 nuts).

Bill -- Did you just tighten those nuts down? center the middle stud? try to hit the same marks as from the factory? something else?
Torque pattern for those bars? Well, if you have the sheet, use it.

Yes, I just tightened down the nuts, typical torque pattern.
Positioned the studs/nuts in the exact factory position.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-top-strut-studs.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)